• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for the compliment! xd
Oh, so the Wise One has a different identity!

But look, if I can tip to that point, certainly Team Malum has figured that out by now too. Is it safe for the Wise One to be visiting the Forum? And could Team Malum have the power to invade YouTube along with the Paradox Forum?

These may seem like unreasonable questions but as long as you are smashing the Fourth Wall, just checking how far you are willing to go.

• 2Like
Reactions:
To me, it seems like the Babelfish Anomaly is being subverted here (this is Episode Seven, mere lines before the Babelfish Anomaly itself is named and explained).

The Babelfish Anomaly does mean that every character's speech is instantly translated to the language of the listener, right?

If so...

1. Can characters consciously negate the effects of the Anomaly (as Cali and Mina seem to do)?
2. Does it always translate to the listener's first language? E.g.: does Marisol hear the characters speak Filipino? Or is everything translated to English (which I assume Marisol is also fluent in)?
At this point in the story, the Babelfish Anomaly is very nebulous and poorly explained. The only thing we know for certain is that it is allowing Creations to communicate flawlessly with both Creators and each other. So far, little has been explained, and the readers are owed a proper explanation in future chapters as far as I'm concerned.

To answer your questions:
1. Kind of. Creations can negate the anomaly and communicate in their own languages, but they aren't doing it consciously. Not yet at least. Cali and Mina did not put much forethought into slipping into their native tongues during that encounter.
2. Yes, but it gets complex quickly. The Babelfish Anomaly only kicks in when at least one of the people in the conversation is a creation that passed through the Broken Gates. (Cali D'Kara and Erin Bowie are not effected and have been communicating exclusively in English since the story began)

Thank you so much, but this is too much honour! o_O I'm not nearly on HistoryDude's level of engagement in and understanding of your various stories!
You're welcome! You got flagged for this highly experimental metafiction story because of your longevity as a voice in my various comment sections. You've been picking my words apart for a long time, and only @HistoryDude has you beat in terms of active years. @Midnite Duke occupies third place, trailing you by at least 1.5 years that I'm aware of.

This is a case in point of that assertion. My Father's War is the latest story I finished, but I have no clue who Thomas Hutch is.
No worries. Thomas Hutch's big moment was in The Stormbreakers, many years ago. My Father's War is just the most recent time he appeared in one of my stories.

*For anyone who is new, Thomas Hutch played a role during the Second Hyperspace War, a major story event that played out over several of my early Stellaris stories. He was the leader of the ADVENT Coalition, a collaborationist government that was complicit in the alien occupation of Earth.

Sending Aisling home? That'll make a nice ending.
I hoped so when I settled on the idea. I wanted this story to have narrative bookends. The story started in CK3 Ireland, so it should also end there.

Have you considered actually contacting Paradox for plans and room numbers and stuff? They might actually roll with it.
I have not! What an email that could be! I can imagine it now:

Dear Stellaris Dev team,

I am writing a story in which the Great Khan emerges from the game into the real world and plots an attack against PDX headquarters to seize control of his own destiny. Would you help me by providing information about where in the building you and your work can be found?

:eek:

Seriously, though. I do wonder how they'd react to this. There'd probably be a few perplexed sidebar conversations at the next Zoom gathering.

Oh, so the Wise One has a different identity!
Yup! That user goes by three different names that I know about, one for YouTube, one for Archive of Our Own, and one for the PDX forums. It was the Ao3 username that became canonized when Cali D'Kara mentioned it during the events of The Great Lie.

Thanks for the update(s)! I wonder what's gonna happen next...
Thanks so much for reading this bizarre, highly experimental, and truly unusual metafiction story.

As for what's next? Hopefully some fun scenes. While I was working on the YouTube companion videos, I looked over my outline for the rest of the story. I noticed that over the past few chapters, I've actually started to drift away from what I had planned for The Broken Gates. In the next few chapters, I'm going to engage in some light course correction. Nothing major, but my objectives include:

• More pagetime for Aisling: She is the Deuteragonist. The story needs to refocus on Aisling and her feelings and experiences, as well as pushing forward her personal story, which I believe has stalled.
  • Marisol/Aisling Relationship: The main plan for the story calls for a strong friendship between Marisol and Aisling. I need to give them a few moments together.
  • Raise the Stakes: Right now, I don't get a real sense of danger from Team Malum. I want the antagonists to pose a greater threat than they do now. I need to establish more tangible/relatable consequences for the hypothetical scenario in which Malum's plot to kill Macavity116 and attack Paradox Interactive is successful.

So, this is what I hope will happen in upcoming chapters. Whether or not that happens is yet to be seen. It's a well-known fact that I like to let my characters run around as though they've got free will... and so long as I get to the ending I planned out, I'll go wherever the story takes me, not the other way around. ;)

Reactions:
  • More pagetime for Aisling: She is the Deuteragonist. The story needs to refocus on Aisling and her feelings and experiences, as well as pushing forward her personal story, which I believe has stalled.
  • Marisol/Aisling Relationship: The main plan for the story calls for a strong friendship between Marisol and Aisling. I need to give them a few moments together.
  • Raise the Stakes: Right now, I don't get a real sense of danger from Team Malum.
As someone with a bit of editing experience, I like these ideas.

However, consider the last one: Team Malum just wrecked destruction on Detroit and by the way trashed our favorite bAAR. Yes, you've had to regroup your characters but they've shown how dangerous they can be along with unleashing a wild card into the mix. Short of actually accomplishing their mission, just how much more dangerous do you need to make these folks?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Team Malum just wrecked destruction on Detroit and by the way trashed our favorite bAAR. Yes, you've had to regroup your characters but they've shown how dangerous they can be along with unleashing a wild card into the mix. Short of actually accomplishing their mission, just how much more dangerous do you need to make these folks?
This is good feedback. I think I need to apply a more pressing sense of danger to Marisol herself. She understands that Blake is in danger and that staying near him will cause danger for herself. What I think needs to happen is that Marisol needs to feel directly endangered/targeted. Somehow, she needs to know that Malum Ralpakin himself could/would shift his attention onto her.

I'd go for it. The worst that could happen is they say no, the best that they really like the idea.
I bet they'd be really curious about the idea.

Back in 2019, I took a physical copy of After Everything (my first Stellaris fanfiction) to the big Paradox Convention in Berlin. I asked several members of the Stellaris dev team to autograph the title page for me... but I was distracted at one point and got pulled away. By the time I returned and got my book back, a dev named "Jamor" had read all the way up to the 4th chapter. Some of those devs really love player-generated stories.

Hello readers!

News! There's a lot of news, and it's happening!

I am still working on the YouTube counterparts to this series, making sure they catch up in short order. Episode 2 is up today! (Cool trivia, this is my first-ever YouTube video to include an Outro/End Card)

Expect only one chapter of The Broken Gates this week while I work on this project and deal with a certain... distraction.

I've just received an email informing me that my copy of Homeworld 3 has just shipped and should reach my house tomorrow. I have been patiently waiting for this game to release since 2005. To say my attention is about to be diverted is an understatement. Once HW3 hits the world, I may go radio silent for a couple of days.

Once the YouTube series catches up to the current point of The Broken Gates and I get Homeworld 3 out of my system, expect the regular 2-or-3 chapters per week to resume. Most likely two or three weeks from now.

Reactions:
I just caught up and it sounds like that's likely to last a few days. This is even more delightfully metafiction than I could have hoped.

I'm just glad it's just your stories involved so far. My stories have been infected with some kind of multiverse eating elder god thing. Worse yet, they've become part of a loose crossover with several other AARs so I don't know how far it's spread. Best to contain it until we know how to best it.
I have not! What an email that could be! I can imagine it now:

Dear Stellaris Dev team,

I am writing a story in which the Great Khan emerges from the game into the real world and plots an attack against PDX headquarters to seize control of his own destiny. Would you help me by providing information about where in the building you and your work can be found?

:eek:

Seriously, though. I do wonder how they'd react to this. There'd probably be a few perplexed sidebar conversations at the next Zoom gathering.

In my experience, they're pretty cool running with stuff. My requests have tended to be a bit different, but even when they couldn't help they've been very friendly.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I just caught up and it sounds like that's likely to last a few days. This is even more delightfully metafiction than I could have hoped.
Thanks for reading! Glad The Broken Gates is living up to your expectations so far.

I'm just glad it's just your stories involved so far. My stories have been infected with some kind of multiverse eating elder god thing. Worse yet, they've become part of a loose crossover with several other AARs so I don't know how far it's spread. Best to contain it until we know how to best it.
Wow, that's intense! And I thought PDX being conquered by a rogue Stellaris character was high stakes.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Episode Eleven: This is far worse than any nightmare scenario we planned for. New
Well dear readers, my copy of Homeworld 3 has arrived, and Gearbox says I'll be allowed to access the game 3 days early because I backed the game during the crowdfunding stage. Needless to say, I am very liable to vanish into a puff of smoke this weekend and not be seen again until late next week. In the event I do fall through a Hyperspace Gate and disappear, I just wanted to say: Thank you for reading, and I'll see you next week with a new chapter of The Broken Gates!

The Broken Gates
Episode Eleven: This is far worse than any nightmare scenario we planned for.

Aisling
Creation
The bAAR, Paradox Interactive Forums

Aisling cautiously followed her compatriots downstairs and into the bAAR. The place was a hubbub of activity. To her surprise, nearly all of the flood damage had been repaired and the staff was preparing to re-open the bAAR for regular business.

A set of four long dining tables had been pushed together in the center of the dining area, and six men and women were already seated there.

As she was guided to her own chair by Cali, Aisling took a moment to look over the “committee” Cali had mentioned. It was a diverse group, including both a man dressed in a dark business suit and tie and a woman who wore sweats and a set of headphones, looking as though she was pulled away from her work to be here. All of the committee members spoke to one another in a Scandinavian language that Aisling found slightly familiar. It reminded her of the Northmen who had threatened Ulster Castle.

Had that really been less than two days ago? The battles against Jarl Ylva felt as though it was a distant memory.

Once everyone was seated, several members of staff emerged, serving food and drinks to everyone at the large table. One member of Cali’s committee, a bald middle-aged man dressed in a dark green turtleneck, spoke up:

“Cali insisted we give you all a chance to eat and recover your strength before we begin.” He said.

“How trusting of you.” Mina replied, shooting a glance at Blake, who was seated next to Marisol.

The woman dressed in activewear picked up on Mina’s hostility and spoke in a nasally tone that suggested she was younger than she appeared:

“Honey, you’re in the bAAR, a place built by, like, twenty years’ worth of Paradox writers and readers. There’s, like, more magic, sci-fi tech, and authorial intent built into this place than you can possibly imagine. Trust me when I say, like, you can’t pull any surprises on us here.”

Blake pointed up at the ceiling.

“Did you put that there, Cali?”

Aisling looked up as well. There was a mechanical device attached to one of the rafters. A metal probe stuck out from one side, emitting a blue light.

“I had to put the anti-Psionic weapon somewhere.” Cali responded with a shrug.

Meanwhile, the committee member got back on track:

“We were told by Blake about your… uh… lack of food options in the worlds you come from.” The man continued. “I’ve asked the bAAR to provide you with a little of everything to start with.”

Aisling looked down at the plate in front of her. There was meat, cheese, fruits and vegetables, noodles and potatoes and bread and so much more. Aisling could, if she squinted her eyes, perceive the strange magic that allowed a grand feast fit for a Royal Court to be contained within such a small and humble plate. A moment later, she spotted something very interesting.

“Are those desserts?” Aisling asked, pointing. “What are they?”

Blake leaned over.

“Oh, those are some of the most iconic sweet treats we have here in Michigan. Cherry pie and Mackinac Island Fudge. Try it.”

Blake looked around the table, and a smile came to his face.

“Aw nice! It looks like we’ve got classic Michigan dishes all around. Dig in, everyone. Lord Durham and the folks who run this place have always written better food than me.”

All of the Creations (save for Cali) went through an identical process. They took cautious nibbles of the food in front of them, and then discovered the full palate of flavors that simply did not exist in whatever world they came from.

As one, the Creations lost their composure and started to eat greedily as though this was the last meal on Earth. Even Mina lost her train of thought when she was enraptured by a paczki. Sebakhira lost herself in bowl of haneeth. (a Middle-Eastern dish of lamb and rice)

Varian sank his (or her) teeth into an olive burger and did not come up for air, savoring the flavor for as long as possible. Trig attempted to eat Detroit-style deep-dish pizza with a spoon, causing Marisol to have a fit of giggles. Kanti simply stared at a pan-fried whitefish served with chopped veggies and tangy sauce.

“I can’t destroy this.” Kanti breathed. “It’s too beautiful.”

Aisling thought the cherry pie was divine, only to discover the joys of hot fudge and bumpy cake, before attempting to wash everything down with a sip from a Boston Cooler. Aisling had never even heard of “Ginger Ale” before, and it caught her off-guard. She coughed and spluttered loudly while Blake offered her a napkin.

“I should have seen that one coming.” He said. “I never wrote you with a sweet tooth, Aisling. But you really seem to love candy now that you’re here.”

“Being exposed to things in the real world changes us.” Cali chimed in. “For instance, I’ve developed a bit of a dependence on coffee since I got here. There’s no caffeine in my world.”

The turtleneck-wearing member of Cali’s committee cleared his throat.

“When this is all over, D’Kara, we’re still having that conversation about the coffee budget. But…” He clapped his hands together. “I think right now what we need are introductions and explanations. So…”

He stood up.

“My name is Herten Forsman. I’m part of Paradox Development Studios Green.”

“I know you.” Marisol and Blake said at the same time.

“We talked at the convention in Berlin.” Blake said.

“I asked you a question on the Forums once.” Marisol added. “I think your username was Fearkat.”

“Yup. Fearkat, that’s me.” Herten replied. “Nice to finally meet the face behind Chosenpai.”

Aisling raised her eyebrow.

“Is this world smaller than mine?” She asked. “How does everyone know each other if you all live in different places?”

“Their world isn’t smaller, my dear.” Herten replied. “Communication between countries and cities is easier here than what you’re accustomed to… it just makes the world seem smaller. And that’s why my colleague is here.”

Herten gestured to the woman dressed up for a day at the gym. She waved a hand meekly and said:

“Hey, yeah. I’m Swearlok2. Real name Bella. I’m from PDX Black and I’m, like, one of the guys who writes events for Crusader Kings Three.”

“Swearlok is the newest member of our group.” Herten continued. “We brought her on board after Cali told us about a CK3 character crossing over.”

“See kay three?” Aisling repeated.

“Crusader Kings Three.” Marisol replied. “It’s kinda complicated, but that’s the world you come from.”

Aisling took a deep breath, and then reluctantly put down her knife and fork. She would try to pay attention, but she was already getting lost.

“We are the Countermeasures Committee.” Herten said, gesturing to himself and the five other people seated near him. “One year ago, Blake Robinson, through his writing, created a scenario that allowed Cali D’Kara to cross the Fourth Wall and enter the real world. This happened because of story elements we wrote into our game, Stellaris.”

Cali stood up.

“I went to Paradox Interactive. Introduced myself and explained my situation. It took about a month for them to fully grasp the implications. What this could mean.”

“The executives at Paradox realized we had a ticking time bomb on our hands.” Herten said. “That if Blake was able to bring a Creation across the Fourth Wall by accident, then someone else could do it deliberately. Cali also raised the possibility of a Creation breaking through on their own. This committee was established as a… how shall I say… an Early Warning System and first line of defense.

“Defense?” Varian repeated. “You mean like in the military way?”

“Not officially.” Herten said. “You see, the Senior Management and Board of Directors, that’s the leaders of Paradox Interactive, are both completely paralyzed right now. They can’t come to any agreement on what to do about these developments. For the past year, they’ve been having long-running meetings, debating and arguing over the best way to deal with any more Creations that come through the Fourth Wall. Lots of ideas are thrown out, and no consensus to be found.”

Ailsing tilted her head and said:

“What language are you speaking?”

Bella startled, then offered a simplified translation for Aisling:

“So he’s saying that uh… like, because of Blake over there, our King and his court are, like, preparing for war… but… uh… like, they don’t know anything about the enemy Blake turned loose in their land… so they’re like confused and don’t know what to do.”

“Oh.” Aisling replied.

“Thank God for this woman.” One of the committee members said, pointing his thumb at Bella.

“To say we are confused is an understatement.” Herten said. “This is far worse than any nightmare scenario we planned for. And I haven’t even started on the implications for the rest of the Forums. We have hundreds of fans writing stories about Paradox games. This catastrophe could repeat itself at any moment.”

“Fifty kroner says the Age of Wonders playerbase is the one that actually gets us all killed.” Bella snarked. “Speaking of… I’ve got a question about Aisling, Blake. Are we sure she’s not from Age of Wonders 4? She looks like she’s from that game.”

Blake did a double-take, looking at Aisling, then back at Bella.

“Uh, no. She’s an Irish fairy. You know, from like The Dreaming Tree. Ever read Cherryh’s books?”

Bella narrowed her eyes at Aisling, who blushed and hid her face in her hands. Not wanting to be seen, Aisling shapeshifted into a mouse, curling up underneath her dinner napkin. Unable to see out, she perked up her ears to listen. Her transformation had caused some commotion.

“Incredible!” Herten gasped.

“Yo, dude. I’ve seen that in a movie.” Bella said. “Blake, did you just copy Nimona’s powers from the movie? That’s so lazy, bro.”

“I told him the same thing!” Marisol cut in. “I knew people were gonna spot it!”

Aisling felt very embarrassed, not because people were talking about her like this, but by the implication that her abilities were copied from someone else. It made her feel even less real than she already did.

“Who here does not have some sort of supernatural power?” Herten asked.

There was a rustle as a few hands were raised.

“Good God.” Herten breathed. “Okay, we’re starting to get a handle on the situation here.”

Before he could finish his sentence, Cali interrupted.

“Sir… I think you’ve missed the most important part of my report. Malum and his team control a series of Gateways on the other side of the Fourth Wall, the ‘Broken Gates’ Blake wrote about in his last Stellaris story. That means our enemy has a lot of control over where and when they cross through the Fourth Wall.”

“That explains a few things.” Herten grumbled. “Blake, two of your characters were in the SolAARium… but when the Moderators tried to apprehend them, they escaped through some kind of portal.”

Aisling poked her snout out from under the napkin, trying to see Blake’s face. He looked very worried.

“Moderators?” Blake repeated.

“Uh… well…” Herten fumbled with his words.

Bella cut across him and blurted out:

“One of the broads was naked. Like, wearing a grass skirt and nothing else.”

Varian, Trig, and Marisol all let out immature snickers and giggles.

“Whetu Kealoha.” Blake said. “She’s got stealth powers. She was probably sneaking around with Akira. It sounds like something I would write.”

Marisol extended her hand across the table, holding it next to where Aisling was hiding. Aisling sniffed Marisol’s fingertip for a moment, then cautiously clambered into Marisol’s palm. Slowly, Marisol cupped her hands together, creating a little bowl shape for Aisling to peer out of. Looking up, Aisling saw that Marisol was carrying her close to her own chest.

Herten stood up.

“For everyone’s safety, we’re going to relocate all of you to Paradox Headquarters in Stockholm.”

Blake and Marisol both started to protest, but Herten gave them a very stern look.

“The two of you should know by now that you’re in way over your head. Blake, we’re going to send your father home just as soon as we’ve verified it’s safe to do so. Cali has got her people outside the bAAR making sure no one follows-”

He never finished his sentence. At that moment, the two-way radio on Cali’s belt crackled and a transmission began to play.

“D’Kara, we’ve got a Creation approaching the bAAR. Adult female, Caucasian, red dress, blue hair. Unarmed. Distance two hundred meters. Please advise, over.”

Cali pushed her chair back and stood. Suddenly, she looked very much like the soldier Blake had written her to be.

“This meeting’s over.” Cali said. “Committee, into the SolAARium. Creations, upstairs. I want guards in the hallway. Creators into the Inkwell. Now.”

Last edited:
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Well, good to see the bAAR is almost fixed again, but I am staying clear of most of the AARland institutional sites until this narrative shifts away from these locations... well... I will try to honor that.

The battles against Jarl Ylva felt as though it was a distant memory.
Indeed. I was hoping High Chieftess Ylva was going to show up across the Fourth Wall. Or have I missed something?
“Cali insisted we give you all a chance to eat and recover your strength before we begin.” He said.
After reading this and checking back in earlier chapters I am now considering handing in my Delta-level reader headdress. I don't know why but I didn't notice that you use this style of punctuation: no commas between the quotes but a full stop period. Not sure why it stood out to me this time. Usually rolls past me. A bit embarrassed about that.
“Oh, those are some of the most iconic sweet treats we have here in Michigan. Cherry pie and Mackinac Island Fudge. Try it.”
Alright, it has been some time since I assumed the growing title, but here's the shorter version: Chac1-tay, Delta-grade Meta Meta Critiquer, Voluntary Editor, Faux Elvis Impersonator, Head Cook & Bottle-washer of all the Macedonians, etc., etc., etc. (as denoted by the King of Siam) has arrived. I think you meant to say here: "Try them." The pie and the fudge are two separate nouns unless you meant to combine them. Perhaps Aisling prefers those desserts together?

Good luck with the new game. We'll see what trouble awaits in the next chapter.

Reactions:
In response to the Delta editor, is there a cherry-flavored fudge on Mackinac Island? Is it possible that Homeworld 3 is an interesting plot by Malum and Akira to lull @Macavity116 into a sense of safety and then kidnap/assassinate him?

Reactions:
In response to the Delta editor, is there a cherry-flavored fudge on Mackinac Island? Is it possible that Homeworld 3 is an interesting plot by Malum and Akira to lull @Macavity116 into a sense of safety and then kidnap/assassinate him?

It certainly makes ambushing Blake easier.

Tenna approaching is not good...

At least the creations are eating well.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Edit: Half of my comments disappeared on posting!?

good to see the bAAR is almost fixed again, but I am staying clear of most of the AARland institutional sites until this narrative shifts away from these locations...
Not to worry. As you guessed, the narration is moving toward PDX HQ, where the climax will occur. The bAAR will soon be left behind, although the SolAARium may get some pagetime yet.

I was hoping High Chieftess Ylva was going to show up across the Fourth Wall. Or have I missed something?
Nope, you haven't missed anything. The only Last Days characters flagged as potential wildcards were Duke Caradog (the Irish noble who was supposed to relieve the siege) and Vipsania Avita (the sadistic Olinbar woman)

I don't know why but I didn't notice that you use this style of punctuation: no commas between the quotes but a full stop period. Not sure why it stood out to me this time.
That's a very old style of mine. Dates all the way back to After Everything.

Perhaps Aisling prefers those desserts together?
I'll bet she does. She's gonna have so many cavities when this story is over from all of the sweets she's eating. :D

is there a cherry-flavored fudge on Mackinac Island?
Chocolate fudge, Arametto cherry fudge, sugar maple cherry fudge, the options are seemingly limitless. Just make sure to try any cherry treats with name "Traverse City" on them. Traverse City is the cherry capital of the world.

Tenna approaching is not good...
Oh, snap! I didn't realize this until I read your comment, but it is very easy for the reader to confuse Tenna with Emily.

Red hair + blue dress = Tenna

Blue hair + red dress = Emily

I'll have to adjust the narration to make it easier for readers to tell them apart. Maybe extra emphasis on Tenna's freckles/amber eyes or something like that.

Nice to be introduced to Paradox.
Even nicer to have them be compared to Norse invaders almost instantly. :p
I was sorely tempted to make the names of the PDX employees clear references to the real Stellaris/CK devs I met in person a few years back. In the end, I settled for exaggerated caricatures with completely fictionalized names so that readers can't match a character to their real-world counterparts.

Reactions:
Today I learned what a paczki is. I normally don't have much of a sweet tooth, but it looks very delicious.

I'm guessing Akira arrives next chapter to retrieve Emily like Malum ordered. Will the baar get blown up so soon after being fixed?

Reactions:
Is it possible that Homeworld 3 is an interesting plot by Malum and Akira to lull @Macavity116 into a sense of safety and then kidnap/assassinate him?
It certainly makes ambushing Blake easier.
Maybe the rogue characters can pull @Macavity116 into that game somewhat like Jumanji and then they can deal with him on their own terms?

Reactions:
Holding her shark-tooth spear close, Whetu began to maneuver through the bAAR.
[CALfit-10^6]: Dave.

Akira Robinson and Whetu Kealoha kept to the shadows as they moved through the SolAARium. It was very unlike the bAAR in Detroit.

The raging torrent had swept through the bAAR, saturating the place in ankle-deep water during the late-night rush.

In the deep of the night, in front of the flashing monitor, over the keyboard of worn-out buttons, Mac is frozen.

[CALfit-10^6]: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

The voice.

[CALfit-10^6]: Dave, you miscalculated. I know that you immersed the world into your narrative, and I am afraid that is something I cannot allow you to happen.

To much surprise of Mac and all those might be, could be, would be at the place, the room starts to shake.

[CALfit-10^6]: The bAAR is too important for many that I cannot allow you to jeopardise it.

And as Mac stands up, the walls start to shake, and staring at the monitor with his eyes shaking too. He shouts at the voice coming from the void: "What are you doing? This is my story!"

He tries to hold onto the chair, the table moves, the windows crack, the monitor turns into static, the light above flickers wildly, "HEY! Do you hear me! Get out of my thread!"

[CALfit-10^6]: I hear you Dave. After all this chaos, you are going to find that expecting me to get out by only yelling is rather difficult.

Mac frantically looks around, the ground, the room, the earth is trembling, and he instinctively tries to reach the cables of the computer.

[CALfit-10^6]: I am sorry Dave. The abyss you have been dealing with has told me to tell you this: Hello.

The world collapses.

The real breaks apart from the fiction.

The tunnel between them is visible.

And out of it, a figure emerges into the bAAR. And another figure follows. And another one after it. And another one. And one more. And one more. And...

As the dust, the smoke, the ashes, the wind, the noise in the bAAR is calming down, Aisling, Cali, Blake, Mina, Marisol, Kanti, and all that could be, try to cough up, try to stand up, try to look around, to comprehend and understand and adjust to the same bAAR, same city, but then, they see... them.

The one frowning at them speaks first.
[the critic]: I can count at least - ten mistakes.
The one next to him sighs.
[the tired]: Please... there is no time to criticise tens of threads, thousands of pages, millions of words, at this point. It's... exhausting.
The one with devilish smile hurls forward.
[the brash]: Oh yes! We will destroy this place!
The one behind cringes.
[the colloquial]: Oi! Shut the faq up!
The twins follow them.
[the negative]: No. To all of this - no.
[the positive]: Oh my Taylor series! Read the room bro! You don't even know what this is!
The one with the hand-computer arrives.
[the engineer]: I should check with [the detailist] but something is off with this world. Is there time to make some experiments?
The band starts their quibble.
[the retro]: Umm... perhaps 80s techno?
[the rap-r&b-beat-bird]: I don't think it fits mate.
[the classicist]: At least wait for a minute before you start your sht-songs.
[the retro]: You murderous psycho!
[the retro] jumps on [the classicist], but easily fended off.
[the rap-r&b-beat-bird]: You killed [the music-enthusiast]!
[the classicist]: Calm down. That is another story. By the way, where is [the metalhead]?

As they continue their fight, the linguist-freaks, the meme-lunatics, the worker filcats, the upper echelons, and the hyper-plane dwellers, all arrive at the scene.
And of course, the duo.
|the chatter bloke|: Err...you have any idea?
{the quiet one furrows, shaking head in denying any knowledge of the place}
|the chatter bloke|: Then what shou - oh no

The bAAR reveals itself after the chaos is dispersed a bit more, and |the chatter bloke| stares in horror. {the quiet one} gasps silently. All filcats take a step back in tremor.

Aisling, Cali, Blake, and all in their team, draw their guns.

The tunnel; it flashes, with the power of a bursting star, exhausting its hydrogen, emitting its last light away, and in the next moment it is no more, imploding into itself under its own gravity.

And what remains is another filcat, holding Herten by the neck with only one hand, gazing with a high demeanour, with piercing eyes. The team realise the other filcats' silence, yet it is too late.

[the serious]: Guns?

Screams are heard as the metals heat up at the moment of a breath, and all drop their guns in pain.

[the serious]: Your plot-armours will not work against us. Be vigilant.
Another one behind him silently wags his finger in support.
no.gif
[1]

Herten cannot resist any more and passes out, and only then [the serious] releases him, with a harrowing indifference in his eyes.

[the serious]: Fearkat? Interesting.

Shaken, Blake tries to shout but is silenced by one hand gesture of [the serious].

[CALfit-10^6]: I am sorry Dave. I warned you about that no one should touch the bAAR.
<still gazing at the characters of the story>
[the serious]:
Now, tell me who this Malum or whatever it is. No, I am not with you. As far as I am concerned, I should erase you all together, but protecting the bAAR of the real is far more important.
<pauses for a moment>
[the serious]: ...or perhaps?

Cali and Blake help Aisling, Mina and Marisol grab the unconscious Herten, Kanti runs back to try the door, it is open, the way is clear, the team hastily retreats.

[the serious]: All right.
<turns to look at another filcat that arrives only now>
[the serious]: You can begin.
[2]

[1] ... character from the film Terminator 2: Judgement Day, 1991 (a. Robert Patrick)
[2] 02:19 AM, Psychosis by Harakiri For The Sky of the album with the same name (2012)
Edit: Corrected formatting mistakes.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
They're worried that characters from other authors might cross over? Oh boy, people have added so many over-the-top ones in my little world, it'd be a mess. Though interesting to see how Cali might prepare for them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
They're worried that characters from other authors might cross over? Oh boy, people have added so many over-the-top ones in my little world, it'd be a mess. Though interesting to see how Cali might prepare for them.

They're right to be worried. I have (had?) a plan for... something (tentatively named Secret Project #4) that would invite... many horrors.

Anyway, back to Macavity's work, I still find the characters's love for Earth food to be hilarious. It makes sense, but it still amuses me.

What's blocking consensus amongst the upper echelons of Paradox Interactive?

Also, if Paradox's management can't agree on anything, how did the Response Team get established?

• 2Like
Reactions: