• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Even more so because of my secret failure. I worked for weeks, even months, on my 'ultimate AAR' about the best game I ever played. But I bit off more than I could chew: an epic story from 869 to 1453, a mix of historical and narrative chapters, new visual ideas... With the birth of my daughter I had to stop, it was too much work. It depressed me so much that I fled the forum for a while. And it saddens me because the more time goes by, the more I know you won't be that interested in the feat of the Kings of Aquitaine (and it's going to get harder and harder to keep the game version).

Thanks so much! ;)

@Werther As you spend time here you'll get used to leaving an AAR behind once in awhile. It's nothing to be ashamed of. I had probably 3 at once I abandoned some years back because I just didn't have time for the Forum anymore. And you have made the right choice -- your family comes FIRST! Congratulations! I have to admit, there were times when I allowed my gaming time and Forum time to interfere with my relationship with my wife. Once she pointed that out to me I made sure not to let that happen again. As a result I'm slower at playing and updating than I might have been at one time, but my wife appreciates the extra attention. :)

I assure you, absolutely everything will wait, daughter comes first. The story of the Kings of Aquitaine sounds intriguing. You'll finish it when you can. Maybe never. Now you have your own living story with your daughter :)

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I hope I have not broken any forum rules?

Welcome @KaiCor! Welcome to AARLand! I'm not the longest veteran here, but I'll claim veteran status for having been around for 20 years now.

Lots to do here! You could stay busy for many years just reading other folks' stories. That's how many people get hooked into playing individual games, though, and you may find that you'll want to tell others about your games with these AARs. Many styles, as you can see from the award structure. Gameplay just tells the straight story - the player telling other players what happened. Historybook is like reading alternative history in a textbook, and many people hone their fiction writing skills in Narrative works. Some of us (I know of 4 published authors for sure, but there are probably more) actually use the experience and feedback from AAR writing to publish real novels outside of the Forum! There are threads (like the stickied SolAARium) where writers discuss how to write. Plus it's just an all-around great community of folks. Glad to have you as part of our community! :)

Rensslaer

• 8Like
Reactions:
@Werther As you spend time here you'll get used to leaving an AAR behind once in awhile.
While these are wise words, I would suggest an alternate perspective.

Some commitments must come first but that doesn't mean you have to leave an AAR behind permanently. People under-estimate how long you can let a work 'sleep' while you focus on more important priorities. I had to drop writing when the Pipettes arrived and there are two sets of huge gaps in Butterfly that show this, yet the readers here are patient and understanding (to a ridiculous degree frankly) and so things continue.

For an even more extreme example look at these most recent awards; Densley can do one post a year in his AAR and still win. I would argue that almost nothing here has to be abandoned due to fears about a lack of readers, things find their audience no matter how large the gaps between chapters. So if you need to take a long break do so with a clear conscience, you will still find people interested in reading about the Kings of Aquitaine when you feel able to return to writing.

For completeness I will also say that if the little Werther prompts a change in perspective or priorities to the point that you have different interests even whe you do have time, then as Rens says abandoning an AAR is also absolutely fine. Though it is a politeness to drop a ending of some sort, even just a 'here is a brief summary' couple of sentences just to close it out.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Congratulations to Kingmaker and Bullfilter! I feel a bit ashamed to get an award for an AAR I've put aside (temporarily).

Even more so because of my secret failure. I worked for weeks, even months, on my 'ultimate AAR' about the best game I ever played. But I bit off more than I could chew: an epic story from 869 to 1453, a mix of historical and narrative chapters, new visual ideas... With the birth of my daughter I had to stop, it was too much work. It depressed me so much that I fled the forum for a while. And it saddens me because the more time goes by, the more I know you won't be that interested in the feat of the Kings of Aquitaine (and it's going to get harder and harder to keep the game version).
I assure you, absolutely everything will wait, daughter comes first. The story of the Kings of Aquitaine sounds intriguing. You'll finish it when you can. Maybe never. Now you have your own living story with your daughter :)
Congratulations to you @Werther on the new addition to your family!
Also, congrats on this award.
As @KaiCor and others here have already stated, family must come first. Finding a balance, especially with a new child, is not easy.
Must say, I very much enjoyed The Breton Chronicles. Voted for it in these awards. Now, there's definitely understanding about why it wasn't finished.
Any good history, such as the tales of the Kings of Aquitaine, will definitely keep. There will definitely be folks here interested when you want to share that or something else, based upon the quality of your other work. Take your time. The audience will be here when you return.
Welcome @KaiCor . @Rensslaer & @DensleyBlair have already given you good advice. Be aware that there's a whole group of relatively new folks and you can find them over here. Welcome to the Forum.

• 5Like
Reactions:
For an even more extreme example look at these most recent awards; Densley can do one post a year in his AAR and still win.
Quite so. I’m always a little amused by the fact that, having failed at every attempt so far to complete an AAR over the last decade, I’ve now managed to make a game of drawing out to absurd lengths the conclusion of a work which really could have been wrapped up in early 2021. But then, I think, it would have ended up a far poorer work for it.

As happens far more frequently than many metaphysicians had previously thought possible, I am in total agreement with Pip here. Some of the best AARs on these boards are written by people who’ve been plugging away for a decade or more building up a world, gifting us another chapter as their life allows. My absurd recent successes in the YAYAs are quite possibly testament to this: Echoes has become more popular the less of it, in terms of pure numbers of chapters, there is. Because I’m no longer fussed about hitting the weekly or monthly update schedule I used to hold myself to when I was a student (or, more tellingly, during The Period Which Shall Not Be Named) I am free to treat each chapter as essentially its own work, chipping away at it as I can and releasing it when (and only when) it’s ready.

Do I recommend this as a strategy for everyone? No, of course not; it’s frankly insane. If everyone started released one novella-sized update a year, it would be the death of AARland. But it works for me and I roll with it. And, amazingly, my readers do to. People around here tend to be exceptionally forgiving where a good story is involved. I for one would love to read your Aquitanian adventures, @Werther. Give us a first taste and I’ll look forward to the grand finale in 2034.

• 6Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Though it is a politeness to drop a ending of some sort, even just a 'here is a brief summary' couple of sentences just to close it out.
Oh, I'm really ashamed about the AAR I wrote and never published this year, for the unfinished one (The Breton Chronicles), which was always a side project, I intend to continue it (I even wrote 2 new chapters last month).

Thanks everyone, I really hope I will find the time and motivation to publish this year.

• 7Like
Reactions:

Yes, welcome @KaiCor - rest assured, speaking absolute good sense in a positive way is the exact opposite of breaking forum rules! :)

@Werther you never know when you might once again want the playful distraction of writing up a story and you can always revert to a beta version if you need to play an old game through (if you don’t have the necessary screen shots stored). There are some noble examples of old AARs revived again after long breaks. But in the meantime enjoy the parenthood adventure! :D

• 3Like
Reactions:
Congrats are in order @Werther! And rest assured we are all wiling to wait until things calm down. If you need something to read wile rocking the babe, you can always correct my French in WOTR. ;)

• 5Like
Reactions:
Many congratulations to @The Kingmaker, @Werther, and @Bullfilter for their hard work. Extra serving of congrats to @Werther for welcoming a new daughter into the world. I wish you and her all the best.

Genuinely have no idea how I managed to get onto this list, but I am happy to see a crowd of fellow writAARs who have gone the extra mile to tell their stories and received the praise you have all earned! :)

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Genuinely have no idea how I managed to get onto this list, but I am happy to see a crowd of fellow writAARs who have gone the extra mile to tell their stories and received the praise you have all earned! :)
I do not know why others may have put you on this list, however, I can explain my vote. First see the partial description of the category below from @coz1 :
This is for the writAAR that puts in special effort in presentation for their graphics. Could be pictures, videos, screenshot usage and manipulation or anything other that adds visually to the written word offered.
Anyone who takes the time to create a podcast from their story should be rewarded for that extra effort. As a former podcaster, I know how much effort goes into that. Yes, technically that is audio, not video. But you post on YouTube, a video hosting source, so in my mind that was close enough. Or perhaps @coz1 wants to consider an audio or special effects category in the future?

• 2Like
Reactions:
I do not know why others may have put you on this list, however, I can explain my vote. First see the partial description of the category below from @coz1 :

Anyone who takes the time to create a podcast from their story should be rewarded for that extra effort. As a former podcaster, I know how much effort goes into that. Yes, technically that is audio, not video. But you post on YouTube, a video hosting source, so in my mind that was close enough. Or perhaps @coz1 wants to consider an audio or special effects category in the future?
A podcast is good, but it's not for everyone. For example, I enjoy reading more than listening. When I listen, it takes 2-3 times longer than when I read.

• 2Like
Reactions:
A podcast is good, but it's not for everyone. For example, I enjoy reading more than listening. When I listen, it takes 2-3 times longer than when I read.
Good point, @KaiCor . Each person approaches these entertainment products differently.
To the credit of @Macavity116 , he offers both. There's no requirement to click on the podcast. You can read Song of the Solitaire (and I recommend it, if you like science fiction) or you can listen to it. For me, I like listening and doing something else while the story fills my head. I like the fact his efforts provide those options.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Good point, @KaiCor . Each person approaches these entertainment products differently.
To the credit of @Macavity116 , he offers both. There's no requirement to click on the podcast. You can read Song of the Solitaire (and I recommend it, if you like science fiction) or you can listen to it. For me, I like listening and doing something else while the story fills my head. I like the fact his efforts provide those options.
Honestly, I listen sometimes too when my eyes get tired. I rest that way. Some books I have read only in audio format.
Yes, I definitely love science fiction, I will read, thank you.

• 4Like
Reactions: