• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hip Hip, hooray!

It's not a DLC, it's an expansion it'll probably work like SoI, the features are there, but you can't use them unless you have it.

Quite, it's explicitly not a DLC.

It's not a DLC, it's an expansion it'll probably work like SoI, the features are there, but you can't use them unless you have it.

Yep, but SoI completely stops you from playing Muslim characters if you don't buy it. Which is fine for a faction that was NEVER playable by design, not so much for part of the game that was in since the beginning and was part of the 40 bucks one paid.

I assume all the Byzantine-specific stuff simply wont appear in you game if you don't have the expansion, but the more general additions of new ambitions, decisions etc. may well be part of the free patch.

I shall be looking forward to making my enemies blind.

I assume all the Byzantine-specific stuff simply wont appear in you game if you don't have the expansion, but the more general additions of new ambitions, decisions etc. may well be part of the free patch.

I doubt that, seeing as it is an expansion and not a DLC. It will thus unlikely follow the same logic as the Sword of Islam DLC. I assume it is an expansion because Byzantine is already playable, unlike Muslim states.

Yep, but SoI completely stops you from playing Muslim characters if you don't buy it. Which is fine for a faction that was NEVER playable by design, not so much for part of the game that was in since the beginning and was part of the 40 bucks one paid.

It's possible that they will retroactively change the past. Byzantines were never playable it's just Deja Vu.
Alternatively they'll claim it's the price those without DLC pay for the patches.

What I'm really wondering is what the DLC component of the expansion will actually get you. With SoI, the DLC let you play as the Muslims, while everything else was in the patch.
As Byzantium is already playable I can't imagine they'd retroactively change that (or at least, I hope not). So what exactly will the DLC unlock? Pretty much everything on the feature list looks like it'd imbalance multiplayer if only some players have it.

It's possible that they will retroactively change the past. Byzantines were never playable it's just Deja Vu.
Alternatively they'll claim it's the price those without DLC pay for the patches.

The Byzantine Empire and any other Orthodox ruler is still playable without the DLC.

What I'm really wondering is what the DLC component of the expansion will actually get you. With SoI, the DLC let you play as the Muslims, while everything else was in the patch.
As Byzantium is already playable I can't imagine they'd retroactively change that (or at least, I hope not). So what exactly will the DLC unlock? Pretty much everything on the feature list looks like it'd imbalance multiplayer if only some players have it.

And that's why it is not a DLC, but an expansion.

The Byzantine Empire and any other Orthodox ruler is still playable without the DLC.

Gasp! I thought it was an expansion! I am getting mixed messages from Paradox!

It's like Denmark in 1864 all over again!

That's great to hear.

What then will the DLC unlock?

And that's why it is not a DLC, but an expansion.
They've already stated they're not doing old-school expansions any more (the Final Hour for HoI3 will be the very last one I believe). And see what Doomdark just said ;)

So, what will be the actual mechanism?

And will there be any DDs/AARs before release to come?

So which features are for everone and which are for DLC owners?