• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'll hope, not. Byzantine should be unique, and unless modded only Byz should have that.

Oh come on, we have this EXACT discussion over at the EU4 board. Does Constantinople somehow inspire a sense of "ME ONLY NO YOU CAN'T" or something? Because I really can't see a single reason to restrict this to the ERE.

They've already stated they're not doing old-school expansions any more (the Final Hour for HoI3 will be the very last one I believe). And see what Doomdark just said ;)

Perhaps, yet why is the title of this thread 'Expansion' and not 'DLC'? Hence my response to Doomdark; we are getting mixed messages. I am even more confused now. Of course Orthodox rulers would still be playable without an expansion, but a DLC? Probably, who knows?

Perhaps, yet why is the title of this thread 'Expansion' and not 'DLC'? Hence my response to Doomdark; we are getting mixed messages. I am even more confused now. Of course Orthodox rulers would still be playable without an expansion, but a DLC? Probably, who knows?

In Paradox vocabulary DLC = Expansion (and why not - they don't make boxed ones anymore, so it's all downloadable content).

That will be revealed in a dev diary later this week. ;)

But that's up to 3 days from now. How can you be so cruel?

In Paradox vocabulary DLC = Expansion (and why not they don't make boxed onees anymore, so it's all downloadable content).

Yeah, that's the confusing part, because they are still releasing old fashion expansions (look at Hearts of Iron 3), along with DLCs. But I suppose it might be wise to assume it is a DLC at this point, until I read the dev diary this week.

Yeah, that's the confusing part, because they are still releasing old fashion expansions (look at Hearts of Iron 3), along with DLCs. But I suppose it might be wise to assume it is a DLC at this point, until I read the dev diary this week.
HoI III's is the last 'expansion' in the old sense of the word, because it's the last Paradox game using the old model.

Everything post-CK II will use the current optional / same checksum DLC model

Technically they are all DLCs. After all, DLC means DownLoadable content. All the expansions for every game are downloads.

I'm pretty sure with the new "modular" expansion policy that Paradox is trying out on CK2, all expansions are DLCs. The only reason it might be called an expansion is to differentiate it from the music and graphics DLCs, but they would function the same way and still be considered DLC.

Technically they are all DLCs. After all, DLC means DownLoadable content. All the expansions for every game are downloads.

Technically, then many terms are inaccurate. The difference between a DLC and an expansion is that is generally perceived that you need both players to have an expansion (as well as the correct patch) to play against one another, the same is not the case for a DLC. Well, at least not necessarily. DLCs are more like addons, than expansions (even if expansions have sometimes been called addons in the past), in that you can turn them on and off. You can't do that with a full blown expansion, at least not without some headaches.

HoI III's is the last 'expansion' in the old sense of the word, because it's the last Paradox game using the old model.

Everything post-CK II will use the current optional / same checksum DLC model

I think you mean post-V2, as post-CK2 would technically exclude CK2. And that is what I thought as well, the thing is; it is just slight confusing when they have more than one models going at the same time. Who knows if they in a drunk haze decided to go back to expansions?!

I'm pretty sure with the new "modular" expansion policy that Paradox is trying out on CK2, all expansions are DLCs. The only reason it might be called an expansion is to differentiate it from the music and graphics DLCs, but they would function the same way and still be considered DLC.

Ah, that make sense. Was Sword of Islam called an expansion?