• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

dannie

Paradox Publishing
10 Badges
Nov 9, 2010
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
The last gasp of the Roman Empire is in your hands, dear leader.

Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome is a new expansion which will breathe a dose of hot, spicy, Mediterranean fresh air into the deliciously dark world of the critically acclaimed strategy/RPG, Crusader Kings II. The Byzantine Empire is receiving some tender loving care from Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studio with the new expansion pack, which will add a wealth of features to the game and build upon Crusader Kings' glory.

In the rich politics of Byzantium, you'll find your cranky and disgruntled vassals split into factions, which will band together in revolt against your rule (they're getting smarter)! Thankfully, your generals have improved to match them. Legacy of Rome introduces Leader Focus, with generals' skills carrying more importance than ever before. This may prove useful if you have any generals that are (I) competent and (II) not plotting to drown you in a lake.

As for the wealth of features, let's talk about wealth! You'll be able to appoint your very own Orthodox patriarch instead of depending on that miserable old patriarch of Constantinople, plus you'll have greater control over where you demand levies from your vassals, and, of course, indulge in new, Byzantine-specific events and decisions. You'll need your regent to be at the top of their game, so it's a good thing there are now Self-Improvement ambitions for them! It's almost as if not everybody in the kingdom is out to get you.

The last gasp of the Roman Empire is in your hands, dear leader. Try not to screw it up.

This second expansion pack for Crusader Kings II arrives Q4 2012 on all major digital download portals for 5,99 USD.

Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome Main features:

• New Faction System: Join a royal faction and use your allies in the party to enhance your strength and tear down rivals
  • Raise Standing Armies: You will now be able to use retinues to have standing armies in your domain: the size of which is determined by technology
  • Experience Factional Revolts: No more easily defeated rebellions. Disgruntled vassals will now band together in revolt against your rule through their faction
  • Appoint Orthodox Patriarchs: Orthodox kingdoms and empires can now control their own heads of religion and their powers, instead of being dependent on the patriarch of Constantinople
  • Streamlined Mobilization: You will always raise a single, larger levy from your direct vassal; no need to worry about the opinions of the lower vassals
  • Leader Focus on Combat: Appoint your generals wisely, their traits and skills are now of vital importance on the field of battle. More commander traits are now added to increase the importance of your choice of military leaders
  • Byzantium Comes Alive: New sets of decisions and events specifically designed with the Byzantine Empire in mind
  • Improve your ruler: You can now actively strive to improve your skills or traits through the new Self-Improvement Ambitions

Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome screenshots:

crusaderkingsii_legacyofrome_councillors.jpgcrusaderkingsii_legacyofrome_factions.jpgcrusaderkingsii_legacyofrome_religion.jpgtrack.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What I'm really wondering is what the DLC component of the expansion will actually get you. With SoI, the DLC let you play as the Muslims, while everything else was in the patch.
As Byzantium is already playable I can't imagine they'd retroactively change that (or at least, I hope not). So what exactly will the DLC unlock? Pretty much everything on the feature list looks like it'd imbalance multiplayer if only some players have it.

It's possible that they will retroactively change the past. Byzantines were never playable it's just Deja Vu.
Alternatively they'll claim it's the price those without DLC pay for the patches.

The Byzantine Empire and any other Orthodox ruler is still playable without the DLC.

The Byzantine Empire and any other Orthodox ruler is still playable without the DLC.
That's great to hear.

What then will the DLC unlock?

And that's why it is not a DLC, but an expansion.
They've already stated they're not doing old-school expansions any more (the Final Hour for HoI3 will be the very last one I believe). And see what Doomdark just said ;)

Since the dev's won't talk. How about doing what a forum does best: speculate!
New Faction System: Join a royal faction and use your allies in the party to enhance your strength and tear down rivals
Forming factions will probably be DLC only. Joining factions may be for everone. Having factions will probably be for everyoune as Byzantines are supposed to be playable and it would be strange if the system would simply disappear if you (the player) inherited Byzantine Empire without the DLC.
Raise Standing Armies: You will now be able to use retinues to have standing armies in your domain: the size of which is determined by technology
Probably DLC only - small armies make little difference and the human player is always has an advantage anyway (of being human).
Experience Factional Revolts: No more easily defeated rebellions. Disgruntled vassals will now band together in revolt against your rule through their faction
Seems quite AI-focused, also an expansion of the firs one.
Appoint Orthodox Patriarchs: Orthodox kingdoms and empires can now control their own heads of religion and their powers, instead of being dependent on the patriarch of Constantinople
For everyone - it would be too weird to adapt the game to a situation where the rules fluctuate based on who is King of an Orthodox nation. Pentarchs may be DLC-only.
Streamlined Mobilization: You will always raise a single, larger levy from your direct vassal; no need to worry about the opinions of the lower vassals
For everyone.
Leader Focus on Combat: Appoint your generals wisely, their traits and skills are now of vital importance on the field of battle. More commander traits are now added to increase the importance of your choice of military leaders
For everyone.
Byzantium Comes Alive: New sets of decisions and events specifically designed with the Byzantine Empire in mind
If they dont make it free some's just going to mod-in similar events/decisions unless they're really unique like Hajj.
Improve your ruler: You can now actively strive to improve your skills or traits through the new Self-Improvement Ambitions
Possibly DLC-only.
Standing armies as DLC only sounds like it'd be rather imbalanced for multiplayer, so that seems unlikely. Same with forming factions, and the new ambitions. Most of the things on the list, really.

The concept of cultural buildings is fine, they just need to be altered so that they're based on the province's culture rather than the liege's.
Seen my implementation of culture buildings in Project Balance?

- Factions. The same as rebels but more organized... As I get it you don't have much to do with them when till they rebel so I don't see much point.
They look like they change the game quite a bit if you're not playing as an independent character. In fact, it looks like it replaces the entire Plot mechanic.

Also, it's been said (in fact right above my post) but I hope to see the faction system carry over beyond just the Byzantine Empire though. How and to what extent I don't know but God knows I'd throw money at you all day long for some fun and functional improvements to the way plots work and how characters band together and factions sound like just the thing.
As it seems to take up the entire Intrigue screen, I assume it is global.

I agree.

I hope it will get widespread attention from modders, since I assume the faction system is only enabled after getting the DLC?
I would be very surprised if factions aren't enabled by the patch itself, as it is a rather big change. Limiting it to DLC owners would either break multiplayer compatibility, or introduce imbalances between owners and non-owners.

There's a "Back" button there, so factions are just a submenu in the intrigue screen.
Hmm, that's a point.
Still, it'd be silly to restrict factions to Byzantium only, especially as they all seem to be using the vanilla plots (and might as such be a replacement, or at least a big expansion, for the plot system?).

does that mean its always going to be Wednesdays from now on?; as it has been Fridays previously.

i stole fridays for eu4 dev diaries...