• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ciccillo Rre

Alluccate: "Viva 'o Rre!!!"
84 Badges
Oct 16, 2011
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • PDXCon 2019 "Baron"
In Novo Iure: Under a New Law

Ezb3o9E.jpg

IMPORTANT INFORMATION (JUNE 4th 2020): THIS MOD HAS RETURNED.

Backstory. This mod was discontinued with the release of the Holy Fury patch, which made many of the changes this mod used to apply to the game's de jure structure obsolete. Since then, however, I have collaborated with @killerbee256, the author of the mod "More dynamic cultural names", to merge our work. He is now maintaining two mods: his own, which is complete of the many cultural names for titles that he added (especially for Romance and Germanic cultures) and my own, which is of more limited scope.

Download. You can download my mod in the thread maintained by @killerbee256 about his mod, that is: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/mod-more-dynamic-cultural-names.972714/.

WHAT DOES THIS MOD DO?

This mod consistently provides cultural names for titles held by certain cultures in specific areas of the map, without affecting the map itself and thus gameplay. Whenever possible, I attempt to give names to all baronies in the selected areas, or at least those that are likely to appear as holdings in game, for better flavor. These cultures are:
  • The Greek culture, for all areas formerly held by the (Eastern) Roman Empire at the time of Phocas (ca. 610AD).
  • The Roman culture, for all areas formerly held by the classical Roman Empire at the time of Diocletian (ca. 310AD). Most names in the western part of the map are the work of @killerbee256.
  • The Celtic cultures in their respective areas of interest. Furthermore, I add distinct but etymologically related names for the Welsh and Breton cultures for all titles (down to single baronies) in the de jure kingdoms of England, Wales, Scotland and Brittany. These names are based on historical and linguistic research. Additional information is available upon request.
  • The Anglo-saxon culture, in the de jure are of the kingdom of England and in lowland Scotland. I used Old English names with consistent spelling.
  • The Arab cultures, for all areas of formerly Moor Iberia, the duchy of Sicily, and other selected titles.
  • The Turkish culture, for all areas of the map roughly corresponding to modern-day Turkey.
  • The Italian culture for the de jure kingdoms of Epirus, Greece, Thrace, Anatolia and Trebizond.
  • The Sardinian culture in the de jure kingdom of Sardinia and Corsica.
  • The Occitan culture in the de jure kingdom of Aquitaine.
There are other minor changes scattered throughout the map.

This mod also makes Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Welsh/Cornish and Breton the default languages for all titles (down the single baronies) respectively located in the kingdoms of: Ireland, Scotland (with the exception of the duchy of Lothian), Wales (with the exception of the county of Devon) and Brittany. This feature is optional and modular; it can be selectively removed by deleting the appropriate files named "SWAPPED" in the localization folder.

Some cultures are also renamed (for example Welsh becomes "Cambrian", Ashkenazi becomes "Hebrew") but you can easily get rid of this change by deleting the appropriate file ("RENAMED_cultures") in the localization folder again.

Additionally, the mod addresses lots of inconsitencies and duplicates in the choice of vanilla names as made by Paradox, especially in the Anatolia and Levant area (examples are the many variants for the modern-day cities of Erzurum and Silvan in Turkey, which are scattered across various counties under different names). The mod accomplishes this task by replacing some names with appropriate ones. Typos and historical inconsitencies are also addressed.

Finally, this mod provides adjectival forms for all modded cultural titles, including those from Vanilla that are not provided by Paradox, in all localization languages of the game (English, French, German and Spanish).

HOW DOES THIS MOD DIFFER FROM DEFAULT "MORE DYNAMIC CULTURAL NAMES"?

The excellent work by @killerbee256 additionally covers cultural names for many cultures, mostly Romance ones like Dalmatian and Germanic ones like Frisian. Furthermore, his mod provides cultural localization for upper-level titles such as kingdoms and empires, something that I personally don't find appealing - with the exception of some cases (such as renaming the kingdom of Wales "Cymru" or "Kembre" and the Empire of Britannia "Prydain" or "Breizh-Veur" if these titles are held by Welsh or Breton characters respectively).

ARE THERE PLANS FOR PORTING THIS WORK TO CK3?

Certainly. Hopefully CK3 will be even more moddable than CK2 and will allow to further expand on cultural, linguistic and historical flavor! Also, hopefully CK3 will make it possible to mod cultural names without affecting the checksum. Relatedly, check out this thread: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...l-titles-modding-be-checksum-neutral.1392167/.

Last edited:
ADDITIONAL FILES

In order to provide more flavor and linguistical consistency to the names of Welsh, Breton and Pictish dynasties, you can use the attached extra files for integration into my mod. They are based on the original vanilla files. Make sure to properly place them in the correct subfolders of the "common" folder.

Attachments

• 00_dynasties.txt
    640,9 KB · Views: 0
  • 00_cultures.txt
    285,2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm guessing the de jure kingdoms aren't meant to be strictly accurate to the period, but for flavor?
They're meant to be accurate and make sense gameplay-wise.

Updated to be 1.102 compatible. Hopefully a 1.103 compatible version will be made as soon as the patch will be available for GG users. A changelog for subsequent versions will be appearing in the third post of this thread.

I love that you've added all the cultural names -- any chance of a PB compatible list of cultural county/duchy/kingdom names or would I have to merge all the changes manually myself?

I love that you've added all the cultural names -- any chance of a PB compatible list of cultural county/duchy/kingdom names or would I have to merge all the changes manually myself?
Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with PB... however, Meneth (?) may incorporate whatever he wants from this into his mod, so that he will be able to keep it updated.

This really is a brilliant effort, I was disappointed that something like this wasn't already in game. Kudos to you, sir.
Thank you very much!

Ok, this sounds pretty damn cool. Stupid question: Is it compatible with 1.103b?
It may be, but the touched files may not contain changes that are part of 1.103b. Honestly, I don't think that would make for big compatibility issues, except for the event that forms Hungary. A version that is fully compatible with 1.103 will be available shortly after the official version is out for GG users (like me :D).

Thanks for the commet anyways.

Looks great :D but I never understood why the ERE gets Georgia as de jure.

My guess is that Georgia was a tributary and vassal state of the Empire despite being independent. There is no mechanic in game simulating the complicated byzantine diplomacy so this is as good as you can get to simulate that situation. Note that the same is valid for Croatia and Venice, and that the Empire considered Bulgaria nothing more than an upstart part of the Empire.

If you're changing the de jure setup, can you change the (currently titular) duchy of Zaragoza to have the de jure lands of the duchy of Aragon? Perhaps put in a decision for it to be renamed if controlled by Christians, simular to the Asturias->Leon switch. It causes some weird stuff to happen if the Caliphate tries to revoke it, or if one of the caliph's vassals creates the duchy of Aragon, and realistically they should be different names for the de jure duchy.

If you're changing the de jure setup, can you change the (currently titular) duchy of Zaragoza to have the de jure lands of the duchy of Aragon? Perhaps put in a decision for it to be renamed if controlled by Christians, simular to the Asturias->Leon switch. It causes some weird stuff to happen if the Caliphate tries to revoke it, or if one of the caliph's vassals creates the duchy of Aragon, and realistically they should be different names for the de jure duchy.
I'll check this out.

Looks great :D but I never understood why the ERE gets Georgia as de jure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao-Klarjeti

Wikipedia said:
n Tao-Klarjeti in 813, when the Georgian prince (erismtavari) Ashot I of the Bagrationi family made Klarjeti a base in his struggle against the Arab occupation. Recognizing the Byzantine suzerainty, he received a title of κουροπαλάτης and established the Principality of the Georgians known to the Byzantines as the Kouropalatate (Kuropalatinate) of Iberia.

Parts of Georgia were actually owned by the ERE for a while: there are bases for it (aside from the need to fill the gap, and having Georgia in Tartaria feels just weird), we should do more research. Anyhow, the Kingdom has been for long under the Byzantine influence.

The 1.103 compatible version is up, few changes are listed in the third post of the thread. For the moment I have decided not to touch the duchy of Zaragoza, as I do not like titular duchies (nor do I like titular duchies being de jure vassals of kingdoms). Moreover, I need to look better into the gameplay issues this causes. I reserve to look into this in the future.