Alluccate: "Viva 'o Rre!!!"
- Oct 16, 2011
In Novo Iure: Under a New Law
IMPORTANT INFORMATION (JUNE 4th 2020): THIS MOD HAS RETURNED.
Backstory. This mod was discontinued with the release of the Holy Fury patch, which made many of the changes this mod used to apply to the game's de jure structure obsolete. Since then, however, I have collaborated with @killerbee256, the author of the mod "More dynamic cultural names", to merge our work. He is now maintaining two mods: his own, which is complete of the many cultural names for titles that he added (especially for Romance and Germanic cultures) and my own, which is of more limited scope.
Download. You can download my mod in the thread maintained by @killerbee256 about his mod, that is: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/mod-more-dynamic-cultural-names.972714/.
WHAT DOES THIS MOD DO?
This mod consistently provides cultural names for titles held by certain cultures in specific areas of the map, without affecting the map itself and thus gameplay. Whenever possible, I attempt to give names to all baronies in the selected areas, or at least those that are likely to appear as holdings in game, for better flavor. These cultures are:
- The Greek culture, for all areas formerly held by the (Eastern) Roman Empire at the time Phocas (ca. 610AD).
- The Roman culture, for all areas formerly held by the classical Roman Empire at the time of Diocletian (ca. 310AD). Most names in the western part of the map are the work of @killerbee256.
- The Celtic cultures in their respective areas of interest. Furthermore, I add distinct but etymologically related names for the Welsh and Breton cultures for all titles (down to single baronies) in the de jure kingdoms of England, Wales, Scotland and Brittany. These names are based on historical and linguistic research. Additional information is available upon request.
- The Anglo-saxon culture, in the de jure are of the kingdom of England and in lowland Scotland. I used Old English names with consistent spelling.
- The Arab cultures, for all areas of formerly Moor Iberia, the duchy of Sicily, and other selected titles.
- The Turkish culture, for all areas of the map roughly corresponding to modern-day Turkey.
- The Italian culture for the de jure kingdoms of Epirus, Greece, Thrace, Anatolia and Trebizond.
- The Sardinian culture in the de jure kingdom of Sardinia and Corsica.
- The Occitan culture in the de jure kingdom of Aquitaine.
This mod also makes Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Welsh/Cornish and Breton the default languages for all titles (down the single baronies) respectively located in the kingdoms of: Ireland, Scotland (with the exception of the duchy of Lothian), Wales (with the exception of the county of Devon) and Brittany. This feature is optional and modular; it can be selectively removed by deleting the appropriate files named "SWAPPED" in the localization folder.
Some cultures are also renamed (for example Welsh becomes "Cambrian", Ashkenazi becomes "Hebrew") but you can easily get rid of this change by deleting the appropriate file ("RENAMED_cultures") in the localization folder again.
Additionally, the mod addresses lots of inconsitencies and duplicates in the choice of vanilla names as made by Paradox, especially in the Anatolia and Levant area (examples are the many variants for the modern-day cities of Erzurum and Silvan in Turkey, which are scattered across various counties under different names). The mod accomplishes this task by replacing some names with appropriate ones. Typos and historical inconsitencies are also addressed.
Finally, this mod provides adjectival forms for all modded cultural titles, including those from Vanilla that are not provided by Paradox, in all localization languages of the game (English, French, German and Spanish).
HOW DOES THIS MOD DIFFER FROM DEFAULT "MORE DYNAMIC CULTURAL NAMES"?
The excellent work by @killerbee256 additionally covers cultural names for many cultures, mostly Romance ones like Dalmatian and Germanic ones like Frisian. Furthermore, his mod provides cultural localization for upper-level titles such as kingdoms and empires, something that I personally don't find appealing with the exception of some cases (such as renaming the kingdom of Wales "Cymru" or "Kembre" and the Empire of Britannia "Prydain" or "Breizh-Veur" if these titles are held by Welsh or Breton characters respectively).
ARE THERE PLANS FOR PORTING THIS WORK TO CK3?
Certainly. Hopefully CK3 will be even more moddable than CK2 and will allow to further expand on cultural, linguistic and historical flavor! Also, hopefully CK3 will make it possible to mod cultural names without affecting the checksum. Relatedly, check out this thread: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...l-titles-modding-be-checksum-neutral.1392167/.