• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Since we're talking about graphics, what I really dislike are those painted layers of "war" or "trade" or "flags" all over the geographical map. I mean, you're looking at detailed mountains, forests, rivers, cities and railroads and then there's this whole area that is just painted over the same bland icon/flag over and over. I think it's just distracting and breaks immersion. I imagine there will be a mod to turn it off on day one but still, why include it in the first place?

• 1Like
Reactions:
May 3 - Arabia & the Levante
FR0_aAgXsAE0Gdj.jpg
FR0_aAjXIAE9CiW.jpg

The @PDXVictoria map rework teasers continue with a look at some changes in Arabia. Note that these revisions are an ongoing effort across the entire world map, and are far from done!

THOSE MADMEN DID IT, THEY FIXED THE STATE BORDERS

• 12Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Should the Nejd have an exit to the ocean? I always thought it was more of the landlocked "heartland" of the peninsula.

And are there wastelands in the game? The Rub Al Khali being part of a state looks... weird.

Reactions:
Should the Nejd have an exit to the ocean? I always thought it was more of the landlocked "heartland" of the peninsula.
Al-Hasa switched hands on numerous occasions in this time and returned to being Saudi controlled in 1830, shortly before gamestart.
And are there wastelands in the game? The Rub Al Khali being part of a state looks... weird.
There are wastelands afaik but no uncontrolled territory, I think having it be a part of Nejd is fine.

Reactions:
If the game shapes up in some fashion that I’ll find acceptable, I’m eager to unite the Arabs as a Heshemite Constitutional Monarchy.

• 2Like
Reactions:
There really is no way to win with Halaib, is there.

Finally, a look at political parties!

Hopefully the parties aren't too complicated, looks like they're mostly just be coalitions of interest groups which is good. As long as parties can leave or join them dynamically, that's really all they need to be.

Reactions:
I hope it won't be like you have to deal with all this democratic mess if you have a big industry, hope for playing as absolute or at worst constitutional monarchy with strongly developing industry and urbanization

Reactions:
I hope it won't be like you have to deal with all this democratic mess if you have a big industry, hope for playing as absolute or at worst constitutional monarchy with strongly developing industry and urbanization
I think it will be possible to have a large industry and stay relatively authoritarian if you manage to keep the trade union and intelligentsia IG in check. If you keep industry PMs that use machinists to a minimum and laborers politically inactive then the trade unions will have very little base to draw support from. And relatively low education and limited institutions will reduce the clout of the intelligentsia.

You probably won't be able to stay completely authoritarian, but I think you could maintain from going too democratic at least until the very late game.

• 2Like
Reactions:
That would be really cool, agreed. I wonder how many parties we're limited to, I've only seen 2 in all the teasers so far.
Finally, a look at political parties!

Hopefully the parties aren't too complicated, looks like they're mostly just be coalitions of interest groups which is good. As long as parties can leave or join them dynamically, that's really all they need to be.
I'd say if you're trying to represent a full multi-party system (with like 5+ parties), you might as well just directly use the interest groups instead. But if you're trying to represent something like an American or British two-party system or Scandinavian bloc politics, where a bunch of "interest groups" consistently ally with one another (either forming coalitions (in bloc politics) or big-tent parties (in two-party systems)), I think this party system would be very useful for that.

This is all to say, I don't really want to see countries where every party is just one interest group or ones where there are consistently 4+ parties existing at once. At that point, I feel like it's just more reasonable to model them just as interest groups.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd say if you're trying to represent a full multi-party system (with like 5+ parties), you might as well just directly use the interest groups instead. But if you're trying to represent something like an American or British two-party system or Scandinavian bloc politics, where a bunch of "interest groups" consistently ally with one another (either forming coalitions (in bloc politics) or big-tent parties (in two-party systems)), I think this party system would be very useful for that.

This is all to say, I don't really want to see countries where every party is just one interest group or ones where there are consistently >4 parties existing at once. At that point, I feel like it's just more reasonable to model them just as interest groups.
The game should be able to allow for anywhere on the spectrum of party systems. Some 5+ party systems should appear, but so should 2-party systems with swing interest groups hopping from one to the other affecting party power balance. Same with a party system with a majority coalition of maybe 4 interest groups and a divided opposition with maybe two interest groups at most in an opposition party but some parties only having one. A party system can and should allow for all these outcomes or anywhere in between, and shifting between one or the other system, depending on how the internal politics of the country shakes out over the course of the game.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think one of the most interesting revelation about parties from this teaser is that they seem to have generic names based on what kind of party they are rather than ones based on historical parties or dynamically generated in some way. On one hand I understand why they would go this route, it makes it clear for the player what interests the party is supposed to be representing and means they don't have to come up with names for parties in countries that never had any during the time span of Vicky 3. At the same time it obviously would make playing every country feel similar once they end up becoming democracies since they would all have the same array of parties with identical names and hurts a bit with immersion. Could be wrong, maybe they have given historical names for certain countries and might show them later.

I also think it's interesting that there might be more stuff going on with campaigns, seeing momentum being represented makes me think there are going to be election events allowing the player to influence things like in Vicky 2 but we'll be learning that tomorrow.

This is all to say, I don't really want to see countries where every party is just one interest group or ones where there are consistently 4+ parties existing at once. At that point, I feel like it's just more reasonable to model them just as interest groups.

Hopefully things are dynamic in some way, which it already seems to be since we know from screenshots that different types of parties are unlocked via technology. That means the number of parties a country has would be limited based on tech which we can see in the teaser since there is no Liberal Party and the Intelligentsia, Trade Unions, Industrialists, and Petite Bourgeoisie don't belong to either of the existing parties. We will certainly learn more in the Political Party dev diary that seems likely to be the next one after Elections but wouldn't be hard to see the ideologies of IG group leaders having some affect on what party they belong to and even whether they might be their own party or not.

I understand why it wouldn't make sense to have 8 single IG parties but I think the devs have considered that and come up with something to prevent that scenario from happening like capping the number of parties at 5 for example. We'll just have to wait and see what they have decided to do.

• 3Like
Reactions: