• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am very unhappy that this French particularity is added into the game.
It can be argued that the Affair was a logical result of French late 19th century antisemitism and the social structure that makes finding scapegoats likely. But happening in so much time after the start date, the recreation of specifics around the Dreyfus case looks absolutely unreasonable.
Sure, a more general mechanics "how about we blame a minority for some government problem so the people would discuss the minority, and not the government" would be nice, and among the numerous events on the topic, some could include making a scapegoat out of a minority officer and putting him on trial and even retrial. But what we're getting is plain railroading, and it's very unfair for all the countries in which very similar events could have happened, just (in the OTL) didn't.
Literally worse than EU4 missions.

• 7Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
It can be argued that the Affair was a logical result of French late 19th century antisemitism and the social structure that makes finding scapegoats likely. But happening in so much time after the start date, the recreation of specifics around the Dreyfus case looks absolutely unreasonable.
Sure, a more general mechanics "how about we blame a minority for some government problem so the people would discuss the minority, and not the government" would be nice, and among the numerous events on the topic, some could include making a scapegoat out of a minority officer and putting him on trial and even retrial. But what we're getting is plain railroading, and it's very unfair for all the countries in which very similar events could have happened, just (in the OTL) didn't.
I completely agree with you, but it's a lost cause. Paradox has long ago committed to making historical events occur in their games even though any reasonable understanding of alternate history would preclude them from doing so, and most of their audience loves it.

Reactions:
Definitely agree on the sentiment, and they could reasonably recreate countless of these affairs and scandals by generally looking at something where, for instance, if the Armed Forces is in a government with low legitimacy, and the country has a Commander with a discriminated trait, and you have set a rival, then launch the "Minority General is a spy for Rival" event. And leave it at that, instead of all of that other stuff.

That said, I am not at all against the idea of having national flavors of these events where the French one relies upon and draws heavily on the Dreyfuss Affair, for instance.

Reactions:
I completely agree with you, but it's a lost cause. Paradox has long ago committed to making historical events occur in their games even though any reasonable understanding of alternate history would preclude them from doing so, and most of their audience loves it.
To be fair, a lot of this content ends up being in DLC so it's easy to avoid it if you don't like "you're playing as <famous tag>, here is a mostly out of context thing that happened to <famous tag> events / decisions / etc"

Reactions:
To be fair, a lot of this content ends up being in DLC so it's easy to avoid it if you don't like "you're playing as <famous tag>, here is a mostly out of context thing that happened to <famous tag> events / decisions / etc"
Given that the DLCs typically have lots of interesting stuff, I wouldn't call turning off the DLC to avoid ahistorical events the same as those events being "easy to avoid".

Reactions:
May 10th - Voice of the People Art
FvxDQvoWYAAV-1L.jpg

Tomorrow the dev diary will be about the art in Voice of the People and 1.3, for example this is the Concept art for the generated Western Agitator!

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I really hope as a side product of this pack they enhance, or in cases straight up fix, character models. Especially with those glaring children models that are still there up to this day.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The outfit looks like a larp. :confused:

Jeux_de_dames_au_café_Lamblin_au_Palais-Royal.jpg

It seems it could fit the clothes of the period (the guy on the left playing wear something fairly similar). The Republican scarf is a bit much for everyday use, but politicians still use it in France occasionally (either when on official duties and/or when protesting something). The golden end seems a bit wrong, but not sure what they looked like exactly at the time, or the artist never saw one for real and just rendered based on what they imagined from older paintings.

echarpe-inversee-e1655923636729.jpg

I don't know why it is around the waist, but it may be about some fashion at the time or a specific political figure I am unaware of. I may be wrong, and it may be something else entirely around his waist, but it seems like it.

The thing on the hat is a cocarde, less common nowadays, but something that could be worn by officers and/or politicians. You can see it in many Napoleon's paintings.

images.jpg

Élève_féminine_École_polytechnique.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: