• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
It's not too important, but I hope Universities employ more than just Academics to teach. Laborers should also be employed to represent janitors and handymen for maintance, and maybe some Bureaucrats to represent administrators.
They employ Academics, Clerks and Laborers at the moment IIRC.

• 24Like
  • 18Love
Reactions:
So Generals can be political leaders too. I thought the said this wasn't possible in the DD about generals? Seems like they changed it than, which is good.
It was always something we wanted to do, and now we did it.

• 27Like
  • 23Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
In software development and some other fields, PDT can mean paid development time.
Ah, the tech industry and its TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms) :D PDT at Paradox stands for "Personal Development Time", which in practice means a day per month we can work on a pet project - for our own game, another team's game, tools to make our lives easier, a personal prototype, or whatever. Often these are just throwaway projects or proof-of-concepts, occasionally they make it into the games.

So with @Wizzington 's blessing I decided this was a good opportunity for me to test out the boundaries of what Game Rules could be used for, and make some enhancements to make Production Method (even) more flexible - including a test for state religion.

So this particular feature really didn't take away from any planned development, nor will it impact QA resources in any meaningful way. Monuments with their unique effects are cool (imo) but they don't impact the game balance to such an extent that we need to do continuous regression testing with different Game Rule permutations.

Last edited:
  • 8Love
  • 6Like
Reactions:
"while in a more secular one they might be fully replaced by Bureaucrats and Academics."

Hmm does that mean if we don't employ clergy they will cease to exist in our nation or are there (private) church service buildings as well where they work their normal priest duties?
Clergy also work in rural buildings and urban centers, so you'll never have that they disappear entirely.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Ddddoes anyone know how/if that differs from what we already know about trade, off the top of their head?

...Obviously I do. I'm just... testing all of you. Yeah.
The main thing teased here is that trade routes independently change their level based on how profitable the good is to trade, which depends on factors like price and tariffs.

• 20Like
  • 11Love
Reactions:
No plans as of yet to modify the feature taking away from player the control of how much goods do you sell to particular country?
Do you see any level controls for the player on that screen? ;)

• 13Like
  • 4Love
  • 4Haha
Reactions:
Hm. So does lack of Taxation Capacity effectively translate to a tax-cut for the inhabitants, or does their money just get wasted?
The money fails to be collected, so it's kept by the pops. There is also Tax Waste, which effectively destroys money, but that comes from other sources like turmoil.

• 12Like
  • 10Love
Reactions:
I believe prior to this change Government Administrations only provided a % Bureaucracy cost reduction scaling to the population of the state to incentivize spreading them throughout your empire.
Yeah, this was replaced with local Taxation Capacity recently in our ongoing efforts to balance (nerf) China ;)

• 9Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Are European nations going to suffer this or you only ever feel it when you have outrageous amounts of pops in a state, like in India, Chine or Japan?
It's not limited to non european nations.

• 13Like
Reactions:
Do they? My impression was that pops mainly cared about whether they gained or lost Standard of Living as a result of taxes. Caring about the law itself is more of an interest group thing.
You are correct, though pops can also be radicalized by political movements etc

• 2Like
Reactions:
Huh, I am pretty sure I have seen "increases radicalization from loss of Standard of Living by x%" modifiers in different tax rates. Was that removed?
That's not from laws, that's from the overall tax level.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The values were flat, not percentage based. So for every 10,000 people you'd need 1 tax capacity. If you have a million people in a single state then you'd need 100 tax capacity. If you had 100,000 people each in 10 states, then you'd need 10 tax capacity per state, for a total of 100. It'd be the exact same.

Since the only listed source or taxation capacity in the tooltip is government administrations, then population density doesn't matter (unless it's so low that a single government administration is overkill). While I suspect there is some law or policy that will give a base level of taxation capacity, I also suspect it's cost will scale based on the number of states.

In short: nothing we've seen in the teaser indicates that smaller less denser states will be better. Maybe they give 100 tax capacity for free and it is, but that's just pure speculation.
There is a flat amount of tax capacity from techs and such but the advantages of more states is offset by other mechanics like states having flat costs associated with them (bureaucracy etc) so it's not just better to have more states.

Reactions:
seems like a good start, but it's not possible to know, from the image, when that modifier applies - I mean, of course it applies when the target nation is more powerful than you, but how much more powerful does it need to be? Is there a threshold or something?
It's based on
1) Swayer's army compared to target
2) Swayer's navy compared to target (if they don't have a land connection to the wargoal)
3) Swayed's own ability to get the wargoal with the help of swayer

The -1000 is really because Montenegro is absolutely pathetic - Austria has to at least believe that you can help deliver on your promised wargoal a bit in order to even consider the offer

• 7Like
  • 3Love
Reactions: