• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fallofthepurple

Fugitive Miner
49 Badges
May 30, 2013
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
Going forward im gonna post all of Groogys (and Wiz) teasers in this thread instead of making a new one every week.

Today we're looking at a negative trait, not all of them will benefit you in the game. The Great Basin Desert that covers most of modern day Nevada is one of the driest regions in the US, especially compared to the fertile Central Valley just on the other side of the Sierra.
FDLTnW-WUAISSWs.png

Older threads for posterity:
Sept. 29 - Immigration
Oct. 19 - Sweden & Atacama Desert
Oct. 26 - Lake Victoria
More Teasers by Groogy Sept. - Oct.
Links to Threadmarks:
Nov. 2 - Discord 10k Member Milestone

Last edited:
  • 25Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I wonder how granular they plan to go with bonuses/maluses for agriculture. Will large parts of the US West have this malus? Will some have -25%, whle others have -20% and others -15% depending upon their relative dryness or will effects be rounded (so, maybe in reality one place is -25% and another is -20%, and another is -15% but in game all are -25% for emphasis)? What percentage of the world's provinces have these agricultural adjustments? How noteworthy does an adjustment need to be in real life to be represented in game?

Also, where are they getting the data from for this? If it is from modern yield maps, then that would be cool to know. M&T mod for EU4 has used rainfall and other factors (maybe soil maps?) to come up with yield effects for provinces. The data is out there. I am not advocating for -13% or anything like that, but it would be cool if provinces had realistic yield adjustments within say 10-15%. So, provinces would have +30%, +20%, +10%, 0%, -10%, -20%, -30% or maybe -30%, -15%, 0%, +15%, +30%. Something like that.

Just curious.

• 13Like
Reactions:
What percentage of the world's provinces have these agricultural adjustments? How noteworthy does an adjustment need to be in real life to be represented in game?
I believe roughly half of the worlds state regions will have a geographic modifier, though they are not purely about agriculture.

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I wonder how granular they plan to go with bonuses/maluses for agriculture. Will large parts of the US West have this malus? Will some have -25%, whle others have -20% and others -15% depending upon their relative dryness or will effects be rounded (so, maybe in reality one place is -25% and another is -20%, and another is -15% but in game all are -25% for emphasis)? What percentage of the world's provinces have these agricultural adjustments? How noteworthy does an adjustment need to be in real life to be represented in game?
Maybe, consider that on the atacama/sweden teaser, one region of sweden is show having a 15% bonus for iron and other a 20% bonus.
Something that itnerest me is, for example, in sa, the pampas across Argentina and Uruguay will be one of the most productive lands in the world, which wil make eventually Argentina one of the biggest grain producers, but the explotation of this land for agriculture won't happen until the stabilization and consolidation of the country later on, on what would be midway of the game period, originally being used mostly for cows and sheep with aims at the exportation of leather and wool.
I'd be interested to see if something like this, or overall other changes of production in areas can be implemented in specific areas.

PD: also, even if there were no threads made about it, or not by you, I think i'd be fair to link to the other three tweets from Groogy:

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Nov. 2 - Discord 10k Members Milestone
My word, we reached over 10 000 members on the Official Victoria Discord! Huzzah! Such a marvel of modern technology, this whole Discord thing. Join us in our merriment here: discord.gg/victoriagamePDX
111.png

Africa has received some changes since we have last seen it, Somali states are now filled (playable) which we knew and some states in central Africa have been made playable.
2.png

3.png

"Free Territory" - Anarchist uprising in Russia? Or perhaps an independent Anarchist Ukraine?

4.png

The setup in North America seems to have received some changes since we have last seen it.
5.png

Main Menu spotted!

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:

View attachment 770165
Africa has received some changes since we have last seen it, Somali states are now filled (playable) which we knew and some states in central Africa have been made playable.
View attachment 770142

View attachment 770143
"Free Territory" - Anarchist uprising in Russia? Or perhaps an independent Anarchist Ukraine?

View attachment 770144
The setup in North America seems to have received some changes since we have last seen it.
View attachment 770145
Main Menu spotted!
Love

free territory should be Cossacks
Why? We don't know what circumstances lead to its existence. Yes, it's covering an area where Cossacks lived, but it's also covering areas where non-Cossacks lived. If the Free Territory originated through the actions of both of these groups, why would it be named only after one of them?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Shouldn't the difference between "standard fertility" and "one of the most infertile places on earth" be (way) more than 25% ?
Perhaps there's no need for that. If both the AI and the player abstain from building up agriculture there due to the malus already in place, then it makes little difference whether it's -25% or -50%, end result is no agriculture being developed there either way.

Reactions:
Shouldn't the difference between "standard fertility" and "one of the most infertile places on earth" be (way) more than 25% ?
yep, please pdx emphasize the differences - the earth is not the same everywhere but very different.
As germany I probably want to fight for ukraines farmland - but it have to be worth it.

Reactions:
yep, please pdx emphasize the differences - the earth is not the same everywhere but very different.
As germany I probably want to fight for ukraines farmland - but it have to be worth it.
This debuff exists on top of the fact that there is very little Arable Land in Nevada.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Source ?

If the solution is to overestimate the agricultural "throughput" by 25% to then add a factor reducing it by that amount, I don't see how that's a good idea ...

Just say nevada has only 300 standard-units of arable land, instead of calling it "400 with a -25% modifier"

EDIT : to be clear, vicky II is NOT a valid source.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I would prefer the proposition made in the beginning of the thread, instead of doing that kind of shenanigans.

it would be cool if provinces had realistic yield adjustments within say 10-15%. So, provinces would have +30%, +20%, +10%, 0%, -10%, -20%, -30% or maybe -30%, -15%, 0%, +15%, +30%. Something like that.
(though, as per above, the minus side should go way further down)

Source ?

If the solution is to overestimate the agricultural "throughput" by 25% to then add a factor reducing it by that amount, I don't see how that's a good idea ...

Just say nevada has only 300 standard-units of arable land, instead of calling it "400 with a -25% modifier"

EDIT : to be clear, vicky II is NOT a valid source.
Source of what? Nevada is a fricking desert.

You misunderstand the purpose of the State Modifiers, they are just there to give a little bit of regional flavour.

The effect of both of these elements is that not only can you build a few farms in Nevada to begin with but your farms are going to be less effective than the same level of farms elsewhere.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Source of what?
1) always assume you misunderstand someone, instead of asuming they are stupid. I know it's hard to believe with a random person on the internet, but it's almost always the first.

2) source of your claim that there exists something called 'arable land' which interacts with these same parameters (and whcih, imo, would hence be a better way to code the unproductivity of Nevada than a special modifier)

• 3Haha
Reactions: