• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
- When and what causes place names to change? (Derve to Minden, as example.) I don't mind it, but it might have been helpful in the writing to know. I did the best I could in that regard.

As noted, the culture of the top-level liege determines the name. If there's a culture-specific name defined in the game files for that particular combination of culture and holding, it uses that; otherwise, it reverts to the default ("English") name.

- Also concubines...do they really bring you much? Children if needed, yes. But as I have found, that can cause trouble. Is there any other reason to take them on?

On top of the obvious considerations, pagans and tribal rulers get a prestige bonus for having "nubile concubines" -- a not-insignificant consideration, given that tribals can spend excess prestige on things like special holding improvements and extra "host" levies.

----

As for the general remarks: I think the fundamental issue is that you jumped into the scenario without really understanding what you were in for.

First, the game as a whole is essentially balanced around the baseline of a Catholic Christian feudal lord, with 1066 being the "default" starting scenario. (There's a reason that, outside of AARland, most players recommend that new players start in the 1066 start, usually in either England, Ireland, or Spain.) Pagan religions (especially Germanic pagans) and tribal governments are by design meant to be inherently chaotic compared to the relative stability of Christian feudals. To really enjoy the experience -- especially when you're still getting a feel for how their mechanics work together and differ from the default -- you have to go all-in on the "short life of glory" mindset.

On top of that, the 769 start isn't really meant to be "newbie-friendly" -- it's meant to cater to the power fantasy of playing as Charlemagne, or else the desire for experienced players to test their skills by opposing him. The Germanics haven't yet unlocked their full potential, which comes when the Viking Age starts (usually ~790 or so; there's a big, can't-miss global announcement that hits when that happens). On top of that, you're also playing as a vassal of an AI ruler, and thus (as you've probably already learned well) are running the risk of being on the hook for boneheaded moves that are beyond your control no matter how well you play personally.

For what it's worth in mitigation: I think you're actually doing about as reasonably well as could be expected in your current situation, given your present knowledge, and despite the run of bad luck you've encountered. I haven't noticed anything too terribly flawed in your strategic and tactical thinking, and I think you might have had a reasonable shot at fending off all comers if you had been playing as Theoderic himself instead of one of his vassals.

EDIT: Another thing to add to the above, now that I think of it, is that Reaper's Due makes wounds and diseases a lot nastier than the "generic" equivalents you get without it installed. That right there is another ratchet up the difficulty meter.

Last edited:
For the Raise Tribal army if you are playing with the Holy Fury DLC (and perhaps even without it now, unsure on how it has been updated there) the instant spawning army mechanic has been replaced with tribal retinues that can be bought and paid for with prestige rather than gold. Might be why you can't find it, but I am not 100% certain.

On Hosts

For the Raise Tribal army if you are playing with the Holy Fury DLC (and perhaps even without it now, unsure on how it has been updated there) the instant spawning army mechanic has been replaced with tribal retinues that can be bought and paid for with prestige rather than gold. Might be why you can't find it, but I am not 100% certain.
Uh oh, that must be what's mucked the explanations around, then! :eek: As mentioned, I don't have HF as the accompanying patch killed my Blut & Schlacht game stone dead.

For older versions, the info screen is the one that will come up if you click the tiny little ‘i’ to the top left of the leader portrait, very top left of the screen. It lists all your game settings and the characteristics of your tribe. Here is an illustration (I loaded up as Lothar of Oldenburg in a 769 start, but I can't vouch for any changes made with the latest DLC.

zvxREX.jpg

It looks like this when in comes up. You can also look at what game rules you set (or forgot to change and only realised later you should have :D):

7Up0Gr.jpg

Back in the main game screen, to check which hosts you are able to raise, you go to Intrigue. It will come up in the decisions available, even if you can't raise one at the moment (due to the various conditions that apply). So, the Saxons can raise an 'offensive' host of 2,500, but not a defensive religious host with piety.

m10oHY.jpg

I think there are table somewhere on the wikis that may allow you to look up the characteristics of neighbouring religious/cultural tribes. But I've only ever partly played one game of CK2 - the Rurikid one my learning AAR is based on, albeit in some depth and with lots of advice from people who know more than me. So in part to check for my own interest as well, I did a load as one of the Finnish rulers I know could summon religious defensive hosts as well.

2dfLPo.jpg

This is what that their options look like and the conditions. So these guys can be double trouble:

r0Nylj.jpg

Hope that clears up the 'hosts' thing for you - a little bit. :) Looks like they may have changed it with Holy Fury! :confused::eek: You'll have to ask someone who is familiar with that to describe the mechanic in more detail, if needed.

Tips wise for gaming I would say try and build an Earth Hillfort in every tribe you personally own as each of them will give you +100 retinue size, join a warrior lodge and do the tasks they give you other than joining in other people's war for renown. Be aware accepting duels -can- kill you so might turn it down unless you are okay with your current ruler dying at the time. Try and raid any capital holdings that border you, the actual money from the looting will usually not be good but hostages can give you the money you need.

As a tribal getting Prestige is often the name of the game, as you gain more I would upgrade weaponsmiths as you are able, these buildings too cost Prestige. If you slap all that together you should eventually be able to get a growing retinue which is always standing and which you pay mainly prestige/piety to maintain. Also in some warrior lodges you will be able to get event spawned troops for renown at higher levels. Eventually this can allow you to have a sizeable force that is always standing, in my own Empire of Mali game I have ended up with a 15k retinue while my levies are abyssmal. In my experience these are one of the big benefits of being it, beyond being able to call your own vassals to war when you have them and they like you.

Of course you can ignore this if it is something you are already doing.

I hope my friend you are not getting too burned by these experiences.

Lothar, in echo of your gaming experience, is certainly getting a lot thrown at him.

Fb-fb:

A novice probably won't start with a pagan tribe, especially so close to King Karl. :p
You clearly chose a difficult start.
True enough. I made my bed. ;)

It depends on the owner's culture. You can change dynamic province names in the game rules. I don't think you can change this after you start a game, but I'm not sure (in ironman, I'm sure it's not possible, but without the ironman save...).
It looks like it has to do with change in ownership of Saxony itself, even though they are Slavic and not Germanic. It was just sudden and odd and not at all explained by event.

As noted, the culture of the top-level liege determines the name. If there's a culture-specific name defined in the game files for that particular combination of culture and holding, it uses that; otherwise, it reverts to the default ("English") name.
And that makes more sense. It has clearly been a feature for a while because I remember going through it with my Wessex game when Wessex kept going back and forth between Wessex and Winchester.

On top of the obvious considerations, pagans and tribal rulers get a prestige bonus for having "nubile concubines" -- a not-insignificant consideration, given that tribals can spend excess prestige on things like special holding improvements and extra "host" levies.
Now THAT is good to know. I've not yet tapped into these things (and it is early still) but better to be mindful. I'm not yet there and have only seen the worser aspects of it.

As for the general remarks: I think the fundamental issue is that you jumped into the scenario without really understanding what you were in for.
I'll not deny it. That is exactly what I did. :eek::rolleyes::D

First, the game as a whole is essentially balanced around the baseline of a Catholic Christian feudal lord, with 1066 being the "default" starting scenario. (There's a reason that, outside of AARland, most players recommend that new players start in the 1066 start, usually in either England, Ireland, or Spain.) Pagan religions (especially Germanic pagans) and tribal governments are by design meant to be inherently chaotic compared to the relative stability of Christian feudals. To really enjoy the experience -- especially when you're still getting a feel for how their mechanics work together and differ from the default -- you have to go all-in on the "short life of glory" mindset.

On top of that, the 769 start isn't really meant to be "newbie-friendly" -- it's meant to cater to the power fantasy of playing as Charlemagne, or else the desire for experienced players to test their skills by opposing him. The Germanics haven't yet unlocked their full potential, which comes when the Viking Age starts (usually ~790 or so; there's a big, can't-miss global announcement that hits when that happens). On top of that, you're also playing as a vassal of an AI ruler, and thus (as you've probably already learned well) are running the risk of being on the hook for boneheaded moves that are beyond your control no matter how well you play personally.

For what it's worth in mitigation: I think you're actually doing about as reasonably well as could be expected in your current situation, given your present knowledge, and despite the run of bad luck you've encountered. I haven't noticed anything too terribly flawed in your strategic and tactical thinking, and I think you might have had a reasonable shot at fending off all comers if you had been playing as Theoderic himself instead of one of his vassals.

EDIT: Another thing to add to the above, now that I think of it, is that Reaper's Due makes wounds and diseases a lot nastier than the "generic" equivalents you get without it installed. That right there is another ratchet up the difficulty meter.
I think that is all true and what I have experienced, by and large. I bit off a lot more than I could chew here and between DLCs and some nasty events/slash bad luck plus my steep learning curve, it has become a frustrating experience. That said, what better way to swim than being thrown into the deep in? I hate to admit it, but that's exactly how I learned to swim as a child. I was deathly afraid of the water and my grandparents had a pool. I stick to the shallows and the steps until my uncle threw me in one day. It was traumatic...briefly. And then, somehow, I became quite good at it. Swim team and all. :D

I am indeed playing with Holy Fury. More below on that and maybe this is a huge change?

On Hosts

Uh oh, that must be what's mucked the explanations around, then! :eek: As mentioned, I don't have HF as the accompanying patch killed my Blut & Schlacht game stone dead.

For older versions, the info screen is the one that will come up if you click the tiny little ‘i’ to the top left of the leader portrait, very top left of the screen. It lists all your game settings and the characteristics of your tribe. Here is an illustration (I loaded up as Lothar of Oldenburg in a 769 start, but I can't vouch for any changes made with the latest DLC.

zvxREX.jpg

It looks like this when in comes up. You can also look at what game rules you set (or forgot to change and only realised later you should have :D):

7Up0Gr.jpg

Back in the main game screen, to check which hosts you are able to raise, you go to Intrigue. It will come up in the decisions available, even if you can't raise one at the moment (due to the various conditions that apply). So, the Saxons can raise an 'offensive' host of 2,500, but not a defensive religious host with piety.

m10oHY.jpg

I think there are table somewhere on the wikis that may allow you to look up the characteristics of neighbouring religious/cultural tribes. But I've only ever partly played one game of CK2 - the Rurikid one my learning AAR is based on, albeit in some depth and with lots of advice from people who know more than me. So in part to check for my own interest as well, I did a load as one of the Finnish rulers I know could summon religious defensive hosts as well.

2dfLPo.jpg

This is what that their options look like and the conditions. So these guys can be double trouble:

r0Nylj.jpg

Hope that clears up the 'hosts' thing for you - a little bit. :) Looks like they may have changed it with Holy Fury! :confused::eek: You'll have to ask someone who is familiar with that to describe the mechanic in more detail, if needed.
First of all - thank you for spending that time to help explain! If nothing else above, this did help me find the "info screen" which is so small as to be unnoticeable unless looking for it. :rolleyes: Not once have I seen that little tiny i in all of my playing time. Unfortunately, even with that assistance, we are still curious because I remain without finding "the host" as I will show below.

Tips wise for gaming I would say try and build an Earth Hillfort in every tribe you personally own as each of them will give you +100 retinue size, join a warrior lodge and do the tasks they give you other than joining in other people's war for renown. Be aware accepting duels -can- kill you so might turn it down unless you are okay with your current ruler dying at the time. Try and raid any capital holdings that border you, the actual money from the looting will usually not be good but hostages can give you the money you need.

As a tribal getting Prestige is often the name of the game, as you gain more I would upgrade weaponsmiths as you are able, these buildings too cost Prestige. If you slap all that together you should eventually be able to get a growing retinue which is always standing and which you pay mainly prestige/piety to maintain. Also in some warrior lodges you will be able to get event spawned troops for renown at higher levels. Eventually this can allow you to have a sizeable force that is always standing, in my own Empire of Mali game I have ended up with a 15k retinue while my levies are abyssmal. In my experience these are one of the big benefits of being it, beyond being able to call your own vassals to war when you have them and they like you.

Of course you can ignore this if it is something you are already doing.
Earth Hillfort is a good idea. I have not yet tried that. UNtil recently, I could not join a lodge but just looked into the game without playing and can see that this is now available. Another good suggestion. This was indeed all good and thank you! This type of thing is exactly what I need.

@Bullfilter The info screen is still at this place on the latest patch (and will probably stay there).
Yes it is.

I hope my friend you are not getting too burned by these experiences.

Lothar, in echo of your gaming experience, is certainly getting a lot thrown at him.
Not too burned, but certainly frustrated as mentioned. As mentioned above, it is a lot to take in and I chose a particularly difficult scenario to do that with. Yet I will fly the dragon I was given and fall into a blaze of fire if that is the end. It's all practice, yeah? ;)

So...I did find the info screen as I stated and it does say that I can raise this host and yet, it still does not appear under plots/intrigue. To wit...

Those are all of my choices. The screen is taken with less than 500 prestige but even then, it should have been greyed out. If it is supposed to appear where I find the retinues, I do not see it there either. There I only see something that I can buy and then allow them to grow. Here is what I have on offer there:

As seen, yes I can use either prestige or gold to build a retinue but still no host of 2500 ~. So where is this miraculous host? :confused: If it is made different, where are they? If it is a different dynamic, then why do my enemies still seem to have their hosts?

I am rather keyed on it because a) obviously I would like to know and 2) I pretty much need it where I am within the game right now (not too far in the distant future.) I've not played since I posted the last update or the one before as I need the advice (and have not had the time) but I'd truly love to know these things before I jump into the water again. I do apologize for my surly nature this past weekend as just writing the last scene up got my dander flowing once more (not hard to do ;) ) but I maintain that these games should be fun. Not easy...but fun.

I've been gang-raped by China as Vietnam in EU2. I've had my ass handed to me too many times by France as England in the EU start and the reverse just as much playing as France (in all 4 versions, I might add.) I've been bested by both the Union and the Mexicans in the 1st Vickie as the CSA (although I was terribly drunk in the latter game - see my Inkwell. :D ) It took me at least 5 times playing as Eadgar of Wessex to figure out a path and even after I started, I had no idea if I would be able to finish that in CK2 vanilla. I am used to hardship playing these games. This? I know it is not unplayable because I see folks doing it and doing it well all the time. The difference is before, I had answers available on screen as you hovered over it. That's how I learned (that and reading AARs!) and used that to conquer much as Russia in EU2 (one of my most enjoyable games still), figured out the "kill" mechanism in CK1 that gave rise to Heinrich in Eagle in Winter, and yes...finally got a good hold over CK2 when it was much too late. ;) This version is so much different than that, I am reminded of how the patches changed EU2 back in the day. A completely different game.

Yet I am here to learn and I like may of the changes. Frustrated, yes. Daunted? No. That is why I started this AAR because I wanted to learn alongside the writing. Keeps me fresh and I am determined to figure it out (hopefully with your help.) Thanks for your patience...and your assistance...and together, we may crack this nut! :)

So...I did find the info screen as I stated and it does say that I can raise this host and yet, it still does not appear under plots/intrigue. To wit...

Those are all of my choices. The screen is taken with less than 500 prestige but even then, it should have been greyed out. If it is supposed to appear where I find the retinues, I do not see it there either. There I only see something that I can buy and then allow them to grow. Here is what I have on offer there:

As seen, yes I can use either prestige or gold to build a retinue but still no host of 2500 ~. So where is this miraculous host? :confused: If it is made different, where are they? If it is a different dynamic, then why do my enemies still seem to have their hosts?

I believe it has indeed changed, then. In previous versions of the game, you'd have an option in the Decisions menu to spend a flat 500 prestige for a 2500-man levy of event troops. Now, it looks like you have to buy them in smaller increments at a time as Retinue troops, and (of course) the better soldiers are more expensive man-for-man.

The good news is that, as retinues, those soldiers should now stick around after the war ends. Originally, once you ended a war (and if you didn't immediately, that same day, declare a new war or weren't already involved in a second war), those 2500 men would take their plunder and go home. That's one less source of frustration you'll have to deal with ;)

Yes those are the ones you'll be after. I'd say go for the 100 Light and 50 Heavy Infantry until you have the cash to be able to afford the Huscarls. The summon instant army thing does not exist with Holy Fury as mentioned so you get these more permament forces instead as you work through it. Also do not forget to try and get Military Organization tech as soon as you can, that also adds to your retinue cap.

Earth Hillfort +100 per fort (one per tribe)
Weaponsmith +25
And Military Organization will increase whatever you have with 150%
From looking at Lothar's start it seems you already have Hillforts in both your tribes so the military org should be your focus.

Can't offer much on the topic of the enemies large armies sadly. Building up your retinue will take awhile.

Thanks @coz1 for being the crash-test dummy for this one and @Specialist290 and @Olsson for explaining the new dynamic, for when I may one day finish my current AAR game and load up on the newer DLC.

Well, well. This certainly makes for a good story, both ingame and inthread.:D

Fb-fb:

I believe it has indeed changed, then. In previous versions of the game, you'd have an option in the Decisions menu to spend a flat 500 prestige for a 2500-man levy of event troops. Now, it looks like you have to buy them in smaller increments at a time as Retinue troops, and (of course) the better soldiers are more expensive man-for-man.

The good news is that, as retinues, those soldiers should now stick around after the war ends. Originally, once you ended a war (and if you didn't immediately, that same day, declare a new war or weren't already involved in a second war), those 2500 men would take their plunder and go home. That's one less source of frustration you'll have to deal with ;)
Your last comment is indeed true. One less headache, to be sure. I've played around a little with the dynamic and think that I am starting to figure it out. It may be too late for this game, but I'm willing to keep testing it.

Yes those are the ones you'll be after. I'd say go for the 100 Light and 50 Heavy Infantry until you have the cash to be able to afford the Huscarls. The summon instant army thing does not exist with Holy Fury as mentioned so you get these more permament forces instead as you work through it. Also do not forget to try and get Military Organization tech as soon as you can, that also adds to your retinue cap.

Earth Hillfort +100 per fort (one per tribe)
Weaponsmith +25
And Military Organization will increase whatever you have with 150%
From looking at Lothar's start it seems you already have Hillforts in both your tribes so the military org should be your focus.

Can't offer much on the topic of the enemies large armies sadly. Building up your retinue will take awhile.
All good advice once more! And thank you! I played around with weaponsmiths as well and found some less than stellar results but that is likely due to my position where I am in-game. Not a lot of money and so some decisions put me into the red. You might imagine bad things happened. ;) I'll speak more on it below.

Thanks @coz1 for being the crash-test dummy for this one and @Specialist290 and @Olsson for explaining the new dynamic, for when I may one day finish my current AAR game and load up on the newer DLC.
Always happy to be of help. :eek:;) Much like your own work, I wished this to be a learning tool for both me and the reader. Having not played any of the DLCs until now, I'm not sure how much Holy Fury has changed things but at least we know this much, yeah? :)

Well, well. This certainly makes for a good story, both ingame and inthread.:D
I am glad that it is useful and that you are enjoying my failures so far. ;) As mentioned, I jumped into the deep end and finding it very deep indeed. The fun meter is wavering but I am keen to keep at it. We shall see.

To all - The next bit follows and a good bit happened so it does not take us too far into the future. More when I give my Author's Notes. :)

October 787

October 787

Shame. It was always shame. Forever to be shame. Never without shame. That had become Lothar’s life. The Gods were cruel and never wasted a moment such that he might forget it. The High Chief sat his chair at the end of the long hall and stewed with rage in his mind even as his body slumped due to his pox and injuries. Here he was after forty five brutal winters, Lothar of the Angria, a proud Saxon warrior and proclaimed by all as a great viking raider...and yet the faces he saw before him surely questioned this legend.

There was Udo, his son. Named a hirdman once he was married to the girl Viola. They both looked to the High Chief with curious eyes. They distrusted him and Udo surely longed for the day that he might replace his ailing father as chief. And this new wife...Viola of the Bohemians. She held a club foot but few noticed it because of how well groomed she was. Never a hair out of place...always clean...bright skin and clear eyes that caused all to see her face and not her deformity. She was young and they had yet to see issue, but Lothar knew that she too wished for the day that she might rule alongside her husband.

And there was Wlencing, finally freed and given command once more of the great raids to the north. He proved a great leader and found more success to Ostfriesland. No prisoners were brought back this time, but his exploits proved that Lothar might still command respect. And it did when Amelung, son of Billung, traveled to the small village of Minden and shared the cup of friendship. It was no easy task as his father Billung had finally died in Lothar’s imprisonment. Yet the tribe in Osnabrück had gone to Amelung’s son Bennit and surely this did make the man happy and proud.

Lothar’s attempts to sway a fellow chief of Saxony had found success but it was tinged by suspicion. Amelung was known to all as the ‘Great Wall’ and remained healthy and strong compared to the withered figure of Lothar. It was perhaps this suspicion that caused Lothar’s next shameful gambit. And after it, all did question. Yes, Wlencing. And Sigbert too.

While the snows still littered the ground of the village this previous winter, Lothar himself pulled his ailing body from his sickbed and took charge once more of the Saxon raiders. It was meant to show strength and at the time, many did think so. Lothar was praised by his hirdmen and as they rode forth to the south, dreams of great bounty in coin and prisoners filled their heads. To Thüringen they moved and surrounded the village of Erfurt.

It may even have caused the Grand Chief Dobieslaw to find some awe and respect as if Lothar might be a potential rival. Word had come to the chief as they moved that the Grand Chief now called himself King of Saxony and warned Lothar to not enter into faction against him. There was no cause for concern as Lothar had done no thing to warrant such a charge, yet he was happy to comply.

He was about to show the southern villages how dreadful he could be and fearless bravery was more important than anything other. Yet it was not to be. For many moons, his Saxon raiders pillaged and looted whatever they could find in and around Erfurt and came away with nothing. There was no great coin. No silver of plates and cup. No high born to capture and ransom. And that is when his men began to question in earnest. It was made worse when a large force of Francia descended upon them. They were not able to to escape before they were caught near Mulhausen.

Their odds were slim and all knew it, yet they remained proud and held the shield wall together as best they could. For a brief moment, Lothar even showed to his warriors they he was fierce and still held the favor of the Gods. And it all began with the cat. Lothar considered the animal a good luck charm. It had brought him from the prison of the Sjælland and seen him through his illness with the pox. It had cheered the hardened warriors as they found little to Erfurt and had comforted the injured as they moved from place to place. Yet when battle was found with the Franks, a stray arrow pierced Lothar’s saddle bag where the cat had sought a solace.

Lothar was enraged. Training his eye to where the arrow had originated, the High Chief of Angria noted the man called Mayor and he knew him to be named Raginari. He led this enemy and Lothar was intent on putting him to harm as much as his force had done to the cat. It was Wlencing that took the animal as Lothar mounted his horse and rode out to greet this man. It would be a personal duel and one to one, they would settle this match.

This Raginari was content to answer and rode forth as well. Yet anger was not enough for Lothar. He remained plagued with the pox and weakened such that his seax was not quick enough. The man Raginari matched him blow for blow and shamed him for all to see. The battle was already lost and the worst was yet to come. Bruised and battered, Lothar still fought but then he lost his weapon. The Frank stood over him ready to offer the final death blow when a Frankish soldier moved forth and pierced the chief with a spear.

The Mayor Raginari was so incensed that he killed his own man on the spot but it allowed Sigbert and Wlencing chance to rescue Lothar. Pulled from the field, the chief joined his cat as part of the injured and the Saxon warriors moved north to finally escape. They were shattered...all of them...and blame was put to Lothar. Why had he risked so much for so little? Why had his pride come before glory? And as much as they enjoyed the cat...why did the chief consider it good luck for it certainly was not?

All the way back to Minden did Lothar consider this himself. Especially as he saw the wary eyes of his men. As they marched, every look was like another spear to his side and the shame overwhelmed the chief. The Gods were cruel indeed. And so was this Frankish mayor.

They finally returned and Lothar held to his life but little else. The cat had survived the wound but lost an eye. Lothar too survived but remain severely injured and still greatly weakened with the pox. Moons had come and gone and day after day, Lothar became more fueled by rage at his own failings and the dishonor gained to Mulhausen.

Forty five winters and now shame upon shame. Some few battles won and coin gained from raiding, but what did this High Chief have to show for it? A body bereft of strength, a touched speech from his wounds, less than pity from his hirdmen and a one eyed cat. To his mind, he wished that this Frank had ended his life. At least he could have died in glory. Now, he was but a shell and all that looked upon him saw it.

He listened as the tribe drank and reveled and showed him a queer eye. They were still proud, but he...Lothar? He could barely move and any speech that he might give would only render him more ashamed. And that is when the cruelest trick of all came at him. The Seer Theodoric entered the hall and announced that word had come from this King of Saxony. Dobieslaw had called the tribes. The King of Francia had declared a holy war over Münster and all warriors were to attend.

What could Lothar do but say yes? Shamed as he was...weak in both body and spirit...there was no other answer. He and his tribe must go forward and protect what was theirs. It was his only chance to regain what was lost. How he would do it...Lothar had no idea.

Author's Notes:

Not too many questions after this one as I am still behind where I've played up to in earnest (about 5 years.) I've been experimenting after these last rounds of comments trying to get a handle on the new mechanics and I save scum with the best of them. :D A few thoughts, however:

1) Looting - You can see why I had question before. Was able to get a little more out of Ostfriesland but Erfurt had nothing for me and that was before the Franks caught up to deal me a major blow. In Norden, I got the red "can't loot" flags but still got something out of it. In Erfurt, it was a successful "siege" but came out with zip. It goes from there. I'll cover it when we get to it.

2) Losing in Thuringen sent me all the way into Sjælland for some reason. That was odd.

3) And Lothar cannot catch a break but I guess I should be happy enough that he is still alive after everything that has happened to him. I get one good event to every three bad ones, it seems. But c'est la vie. Like him, I will battle through it.

I would ask a question here, however...Is it worth it to keep at this particular game or to start over? I've made some mistakes and some of them quite costly. I don't want to start a new thread if I did so, so how jarring would it be if I began anew after these first scenes? I'm not certain that I can get myself out of the hole I've dug and after this last patch, I am not certain everything is working as intended from these "old saves" (which are, like, a week old.) Should I take this down in a blaze of glory and play through to that end? Restart in thread with a fresh save? Or find an entirely different dynamic and thus new story/AAR? Just curious what you folks would do.

I am committed to writing an AAR with the new DLCs but as @stnylan suggested to me before I began, maybe give it some time. I jumped the gun. :rolleyes: I think I can salvage something here but it may be more of the same. I've played until 792 and some few more things happen which are interesting but I am considering all options right now.

I see his "good" luck continues.

As to the other matter, I note that seeing a "failed" AAR to its conclusion is one of the rarest of AAR types to be attempted or completed on these boards. Do not think an AAR a failure just because the game went south.

I will echo the sentiment above that the game is not over until you get the Game Over screen. A High Chief can fall from grace to a mere Chief, his dynasty carry on only for a future generation to slowly rise to greatness oncemore.

I got curious about Lothar after reading your AAR and I gave a brief play of him myself and I will echo what was said above that he is not the easiest start, I think your main mistake at the start was not being more aggressive. There is room for expansion at the start of the game which quickly gets consolidated if left alone and you can pounce on it but it has been soaked up into larger powers where you are now. So if you did start over you would make it easier for yourself but there is value in a story not as commonly told.

1) Looting - You can see why I had question before. Was able to get a little more out of Ostfriesland but Erfurt had nothing for me and that was before the Franks caught up to deal me a major blow. In Norden, I got the red "can't loot" flags but still got something out of it. In Erfurt, it was a successful "siege" but came out with zip. It goes from there. I'll cover it when we get to it.

The Looting/Can't Loot refers to the looting of the countryside not the holding themselves so what likely happened was that in the "can't loot" province there was nothing in the countryside to loot but you did besiege and then loot the holding itself. For Erfurt giving you zip I am unsure, it might be it had been looted recently before that but couldn't tell you off hand.

I really enjoy reading your AARs though, this is probably the one I am the most invested in right now.

I don't believe that this AAR will be updated "more slowly!" Or, perhaps, even if at a slower pace I still won't have the time to keep up with it! :p

Someday I'm going to do you, and this forum, a great favor by plugging your Wessex Saga in one of my monthly columns and alert all of my stuffy readers to the literary wonders going on in Paradox Land! :p

Well, sir, I do look forward to getting into this as time permits.
All the best, though you don't really need it! ;)

I'm going to pretty much third the general sentiment. It is, of course, ultimately your choice, but as someone who's been playing this game since release I'll only say that you haven't really gotten the true Crusader Kings experience until something goes badly off-script.

The Looting/Can't Loot refers to the looting of the countryside not the holding themselves so what likely happened was that in the "can't loot" province there was nothing in the countryside to loot but you did besiege and then loot the holding itself. For Erfurt giving you zip I am unsure, it might be it had been looted recently before that but couldn't tell you off hand.

On top of this, one discovery we all made in Bullfilter's thread is that when you sack a settlement during a raid, the county's "Protected Loot" calculation doesn't actually reset until the end of the month, so it behaves like the freshly-taken castle / city / what-have-you is still active until then.

His death might make for a good ending, but I won't object to you restating at any point.

Fb-fb:

I see his "good" luck continues.

As to the other matter, I note that seeing a "failed" AAR to its conclusion is one of the rarest of AAR types to be attempted or completed on these boards. Do not think an AAR a failure just because the game went south.
"Good" is a polite way of saying it. :rolleyes: More below.

I will echo the sentiment above that the game is not over until you get the Game Over screen. A High Chief can fall from grace to a mere Chief, his dynasty carry on only for a future generation to slowly rise to greatness oncemore.

I got curious about Lothar after reading your AAR and I gave a brief play of him myself and I will echo what was said above that he is not the easiest start, I think your main mistake at the start was not being more aggressive. There is room for expansion at the start of the game which quickly gets consolidated if left alone and you can pounce on it but it has been soaked up into larger powers where you are now. So if you did start over you would make it easier for yourself but there is value in a story not as commonly told.

I really enjoy reading your AARs though, this is probably the one I am the most invested in right now.
I'll have to keep testing the looting aspect of the game. I think when I was playing, I failed to wait out some raids when it said I could not loot when in fact I probably did and got whatever there might be in the province (which might not have been a lot, if any.) I am very honored that you are invested in this work and I vow to carry on one way or the other. Thank you!

I don't believe that this AAR will be updated "more slowly!" Or, perhaps, even if at a slower pace I still won't have the time to keep up with it! :p

Someday I'm going to do you, and this forum, a great favor by plugging your Wessex Saga in one of my monthly columns and alert all of my stuffy readers to the literary wonders going on in Paradox Land! :p

Well, sir, I do look forward to getting into this as time permits.
All the best, though you don't really need it! ;)
Come now...I have maybe 6 posts in total here of actual game. The rest is comments and discussion about it. That's basically an update a week which is slow for me right now. ;)

But yes...feel free to share the Wessex saga and hopefully, pull people into AARland. The more, the merrier. :D

I'm going to pretty much third the general sentiment. It is, of course, ultimately your choice, but as someone who's been playing this game since release I'll only say that you haven't really gotten the true Crusader Kings experience until something goes badly off-script.

On top of this, one discovery we all made in Bullfilter's thread is that when you sack a settlement during a raid, the county's "Protected Loot" calculation doesn't actually reset until the end of the month, so it behaves like the freshly-taken castle / city / what-have-you is still active until then.
So...it's on script then that everything Lothar touches turns to...well, something that rhymes with shmit? :p;)

And I'm not sure how things have changed with looting once you plug in Holy Fury and the latest patch. I'm still play testing to see how best to continue. More below.

His death might make for a good ending, but I won't object to you restating at any point.
It might, but even there...more interesting things occur.

To all - So it seems the consensus is to continue into ultimate defeat or as a phoenix rising from the ashes. I will bow to your expert (and appreciated) opinion. I'm in a bit of a pickle where I left off and as stated, the latest patch lets me know that older saves are (or might be) incompatible. Looting (of course) looks suspect, but that might be the usual dynamic that I still have not completely figured out. That said, I have tested some of the other things we've discussed and it might be useful as we move forward. If nothing else, this game/AAR will be a wonderful training ground for us all and in the toughest environment. I won't shy away from it as long as you stick with me. :) I will save scum, but no outright cheating here. I will either get it all together or die trying (figuratively, of course...I love these games, but not that much. ;) )

To all - So it seems the consensus is to continue into ultimate defeat or as a phoenix rising from the ashes. I will bow to your expert (and appreciated) opinion. I'm in a bit of a pickle where I left off and as stated, the latest patch lets me know that older saves are (or might be) incompatible.
A bit late, but I also vote for continuing. :)