• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Parakram
20230122161509_1.jpg

I send my congratulations to my good friend Giriraja on his new position as Chancellor. Hopefully he will have extra time for my future requests...

I vote for Option B - Elective Gavelkind. In the future, my family might gain lands, and this would give them some power over the succession...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Adrika - January 1092

20230122161522_1.jpg

Raja, Rajkumar is most intelligent. I would be honored to marry him, if it could somehow be arranged.

As for the succession, Ultimogeniture would ensure each ruler has the greatest opportunity to manage their lands and reduce the number of succession crises.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Adrika - January 1092

View attachment 941904

Raja, Rajkumar is most intelligent. I would be honored to marry him, if it could somehow be arranged.

As for the succession, Ultimogeniture would ensure each ruler has the greatest opportunity to manage their lands and reduce the number of succession crises.
OOC: Adrika's marriage to the rajkumar shall be arranged.

There has been 1 vote each for Primogeniture, Elective Gavelkind and Ultimogeniture. Since Primogeniture and Ultimogeniture are essentially the same thing except for whether the eldest or the youngest child inherits it all, the two votes have eliminated the Elective Gavelkind option. I now call upon @HistoryDude to switch Parakram's vote either to Primogeniture (C) or Ultimogeniture (D) so that the stalemate can be broken.

Reactions:
I'll switch my vote to C. Primogeniture.

@Idhrendur I'd prefer a patrilineal marriage between our characters...

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
Vamadeva the Wise - January 1095

20230129180258_1.jpg

Vamadeva the Wise. That was what his subjects and foreigners alike called him now. The Raja of Nepal, humble as he was, felt that this was simply because he now looked like a wise old man due to his ever greying hair. In reality, the raja had earned this nickname after signing an alliance with the Paramara Kingdom. The very same kingdom against whom the Nepalis had went to war against during the Solanki-Paramara War on the side of the Solankis.

20230129173617_1.jpg

The Raja of Nepal found it hilarious that he was credited with the alliance when it was Dattadevi, the lowborn wife of Maharaja Naravarman the Inquisitor, who had first suggested the idea. The Inquisitor was the younger brother of Lakshmana Paramara, the maharaja during the Solanki-Paramara War. And the very first meeting between Maharani Dattadevi and Raja Vamadeva had not been the most ideal one.

The maharani's carriage had been traveling through the Kingdom of Bihar alongside a caravan of Paramara traders when they were ambushed by Nepali raiders. The Nepali army had been pillaging every Bihari village, town and city on their path. The maharani spent several days as a hostage of Vamadeva but it never seemed like she was being held against her will. Vamadeva had initially asked Dattadevi, in an almost evil gloating manner, how much her husband would be willing to pay for her freedom. Dattadevi had calmly replied that she was a lowborn and that her husband would promote any of his concubines as the next maharani.

The Rajput woman had an extremely charming personality and a way with her words. She was often found talking to Nepali soldiers who were supposed to be guarding her and it was obvious to anyone with eyes that many of them had became infatuated with her. One of the guards, to Vamadeva's amusement when he later found out, apparently tried to free the Paramara maharani after confessing his love to her. Dattadevi had simply refused the offer, proclaiming her loyalty to her husband and even petitioned Vaamdeva not to punish the soldier in question.

At the end of his wits, the Raja of Nepal had directly asked Dattadevi what she wanted. It was then that she suggested an alliance to him.

"Raja, return me and the traders back to my dear husband. He will agree to the alliance if we are unharmed." Dattadevi had said in her sooting voice. "I know what you and your kingdom seek the most: a reliable ally. Why else would you have been so desperate to join the war on the side of our Solanki enemies?"

There was no guarantee that Dattadevi or her husband would honor the deal but the Raja of Nepal found himself strongly compelled by this woman. Nobody in the raja's army questioned him when the maharani and the Paramara traders were set free.

20230129110445_1.jpg

Vamadeva and his men soon forgot about Dattadevi and her promise of alliance. On 9 January 1094, the Nepali raiders arrived at Mithila, the capital of ten years old Bengali Buddhist Raja Prannath of Tirabhukti. Prannath was a vassal in the Kingdom of Bihar. The boy's regency council hastily assembled a defense force and a battle took place. The Nepali raiders outnumbered the defenders three to one and were under no pressure. Cupbearer Champak was given command of men from Lalitpur at the right flank whereas Shivadeva Nuwakot Thakuri took charge of the left flank. As usual, Vamadeva remained at the center with the bulk of his army.

20230129110823_1.jpg

The battle was over as soon as it began. Vamadeva quickly routed the enemy center and ordered his men to support the Nepali left and right flanks in fighting the enemy wings. Gaudapati Kamboja Pala and Nanyadeva Karnata, who had been commanders of the Tirabhukti left and right flanks respectively at the Battle of Mithila, were taken prisoners in the aftermath of the fighting. The defenders lost over 500 men while only 50 Nepali raiders died in this extremely one-sided battle.

84 years old Gaudapati immediately agreed to join the court of Raja Vamadeva and offer extremely valuable information on the Kingdom of Bihar. Nanyadeva, who happened to be Buddhist, was ordered to become a Hindu and the 24 years old Bengali man was burnt at the stake after he refused the raja's demand.

20230129103520_1.jpg

Vamadeva was extremely pleased with the manner his Cupbearer Champak had led the men of Lalitpur at the battle. After the fighting was over, the Raja of Nepal summoned Champak and asked him if he would like to permanently lead the Lalitpur regiment. The cupbearer was confused until Vamadeva started addressing him as Damapati of Lalitpur. And thus, the House of Malla was born.

After ransacking Mithila for loot, the Nepali raiders returned home. For Damapati Champak, home now meant Lalitpur.

20230129173710_1.jpg

On 13 March 1094, to the surprise of Vamadeva and his court, a Paramara messenger arrived at Kathmandu and stated that Maharaja Naravarman the Inquisitor was willing to enter an alliance with the Kingdom of Nepal. After signing a peace of paper and allying with the Inquisitor, the name Vamadeva the Wise came to be spoken. Only a few people actually knew that the alliance had been possible thanks to the Paramara Maharani Dattadevi.

20230129174725_1.jpg

After Court Jester Parakram the Ill-tempered and Court Tutor Adrika's son Amogh became one years old, Vamadeva the Wise took pity on the parents of the sickly infant and made them Damapati and Damapatni of Kamalamai. Chancellor Giriraja, a close friend of Parakram, had a hand in convincing the raja that this kind of gift would be appropriate for the couple. And thus, the House of Samal was born.

20230129202128_1.jpg

On 1 July 1094, 84 years old Gaudapati Kamboja Pala died of old age. The old Bengali man had provided Kingdom of Nepal with valuable information on the Kingdom of Bihar, which was apparently ruled by nine years old Maharaja Vajramitra of Pala dynasty. Hoping to gather more loot than before using maps provided by the deceased Gaudapati, Vamadeva the Wise gathered his army to go on another raiding campaign.

20230129175626_1.jpg

After Mithila was ransacked again for loot, the Nepali raiders headed to Yavamajjhaka. Unfortunately for them, the Kingdom of Bihar had not been sitting idle since the last raid. The raiders were ambushed by the Bihari army on 24 November 1094 and forced to quickly assemble into formation. Damapati Champak took command of the Lalitpur regiment on the left flank while Shivadeva Nuwakot Thakuri was in charge of the right flank and the remainder of the Nepali soldiers remained at the center with Raja Vamadeva.

The Nepali right flank shattered when it came under attack from the numerically superior Bihari left flank. Things went from bad to worse when the army of Tirabhukti, which had been hidden nearby and eagerly seeking revenge for the Battle of Mithila, attacked Vamadeva's units from behind. The assaults on the Nepali center from Bihari center and the left flank increased as well. As men around him started to drop like flies, the Raja of Nepal gave the order to retreat but there was no way to escape with enemies on all sides. Damapati Champak and the Lalitpur regiment, who had managed to push back the enemy right flank and sent them fleeing out of the battlefield, valiantly sacrificed themselves by charging against the Bihari center. This attack allowed a gap to form in the enemy encirclement of the Nepali center and allowed Vamadeva and many other Nepali soldiers to escape alive.

The Battle of Yavamajjhaka was a disaster. Over 1300 Nepali men, mostly from the Lalitpur regiment, died in combat that day. While the Kingdom of Bihar did lose 1500 men at the battlefield, it was considered their victory for they had beaten back the Nepali raiders. The army of Tirabhukti, previously humiliated at the Battle of Mithila, had gotten their revenge as well.

20230129175816_1.jpg

The Battle of Yavamajjhaka took lives of men even after it was over. On 15 December 1094, while the defeated Nepali raiders were returning home, Damapati Champak Malla of Lalitpur died all of a sudden. The man had stubbornly given everything he had at the battle and fought valiantly till the last moment. Without him and the Lalitpur regiment, Raja Vamadeva and most other Nepali soldiers would have been dead. With a heavy heart, the raja and his men marched to Kathmandu. Vamadeva wondered what he would say to Little Champak and his Panjabi mother Jodhabai, who was pregnant with another child.

However, the raja and his men did not travel back empty-handed. There was some loot but there were no joyous celebrations unlike the last time. There were also some hostages, a few important people from Mithila and Yavamajjhaka. Some taken captive before the disastrous battle, others after it. And among them was an Assamese Buddhist woman who had caught Vamadeva's eye. The woman's name was Vasumati and she was the wife of Bengali nobleman Suvartadeva Rashtrakuta. Her two daughters, ten years old Vijnayavati and nine years old Bhavashankari, were also among the captives. Sure, the raja had ordered the execution of Buddhists like Nanyadeva Karnata in the aftermath of the Battle of Mithila, but he had been an adult man and an enemy combatant. These three were a harmless woman and her little daughters. Thinking about what needed to be done with these three was the only thing keeping the raja's mind off from the death of Champak and many other men at the disaster of Yavamajjhaka.

20230129180906_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Voting session. There are three options -

A. Vamadeva takes Vasumati as his concubine and release her daughters

B. Let Vasumati and her daughters rot in the dungeons

C. Execute them all

Things to remember before you vote -

1. Newcomers must select a Player Character. I will now be providing a list of them in the next post.

2. Make sure to have "Player Character Name - January 1095" before voting In Character. You should also include your Player Character portrait which wil be provided below.

3. @Warlord Skorr , should you choose to continue as Little Champak, you get +1 vote (you are a damapati now). If you select a new character, then no bonuses. Since @HistoryDude 's character Parakram is also a damapati, you too will get a +1 vote.

Voting session ends on Thursday February 2, 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions:
List of Selectable Player Characters on January 1095

20230129180334_1.jpg

20230129180411_1.jpg

Note: If you do not like any of the above characters (who are already at my court), you can select a character who can join my court. For this, download the save file I have shared and in Find Character, go to Search All and toggle Join Court to 'Yes'.

If your Player Character is someone who can join my court, you should post the following and I will give you their character portrait -

Name:
Dynasty:
if they have one
Culture:
Realm:

Attachments

• Nepal1095_01_01.ck2
    34,4 MB · Views: 0
Reactions:
Player Character Updates - January 1095

@Warlord Skorr , RIP Champak Senior. I will be updating his character info on the list of Player Characters. Now, big decision time for you. Do you plan to continue with Champak Junior (this iAAR will be as much about new dynasties you guys create as much about the Suryavamsa...and Jodhabai has a second child in her belly) or will you be looking for a new character? As mentioned in the Rules of this iAAR, you now have the golden ability to pick a member of the royal family (except Raja Vamadeva the Wise).

@Idhrendur , congrats on the marriage, the son and becoming a damapatni (you lost your position as Court Tutor when this happnered though). Your son Amogh was born on 16 May 1093. Your friend Jodhabai just lost her husband and she is pregnant with child. Perhaps you should console her. Here is her new portrait -

20230129180534_1.jpg

@HistoryDude , congrats on the marriage, the son and becoming a damapati. Your son Amogh was born on 16 May 1093. As damapati, you get +1 vote bonus. It also seems that you wish to become a councilor. If you wish to indeed become a member of the council, what position would you like to have? Here is your new portrait BTW -

20230129180526_1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Parakram

20230129180526_1.jpg

Parakram Samal would like to become the spymaster, engaging in schemes to protect his raja.

Parakram votes for option A - make Vasumati a concubine and release her daughters.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Biography of Champak of Lalitpur

1675009141980.png

Born: 18 July 1046
Died: 15 December 1094
Title: Damapati of Lalitpur
Wife: Jodhabai
Son: Champak

Champak of Lalitpur was born on 18 July 1046. A local Newar man from Kathmandu, not much is known of his early years except for the fact that he joined Vamadeva Suryavamsa's army during the overthrow of the Nuwakot Thakuri dynasty. After Vamadeva became the Raja of Nepal, Champak was made his Cupbearer and a commander in the Nepali army. While not the best warrior out there, as a commander, Champak earned the respect of his men by directly leading them at the front lines. He is remembered for being involved at the Battles of Padrauna (1083), Mithila (1094) and Yavamajjhaka (1094); all of which took place during various Nepali raids against their neighbors. After the Battle of Mithila where he had commanded the Lalitpur regiment, Champak was granted the Dama of Lalitpur. Following the disaster at Yavamajjhaka, where his valiant actions saved the lives of his raja and many other Nepali men, his body started to become weak and he died from fatigue on 15 December 1094 at the age of 48, before his second child was born. He is survived by his pregnant Panjabi wife Jodhabai (29) and their son Champak (5).

20230129180502_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Jodhabai as Regent for Damapati Champa II of Lalitpur - January 1095
20230129180502_1.jpg

My beloved husband would not have wanted to see a Buddhist at the right hand of the great Raja, and I would honor his wishes. Let them rot. If it pleases his highness, tell the wretches that true Hindus walk free here.

(OOC: Vote B with the addition that they will be offered freedom if they convert. +1
I would like to continue as little Champa, but I'll be Jodhabai until he comes of age.
Naming my dynasty after the one I originally voted for was a nice touch!)

• 1Love
Reactions:
Jodhabai as Regent for Damapati Champa II of Lalitpur - January 1095
View attachment 943688

My beloved husband would not have wanted to see a Buddhist at the right hand of the great Raja, and I would honor his wishes. Let them rot. If it pleases his highness, tell the wretches that true Hindus walk free here.

(OOC: Vote B with the addition that they will be offered freedom if they convert. +1
I would like to continue as little Champa, but I'll be Jodhabai until he comes of age.
Naming my dynasty after the one I originally voted for was a nice touch!)
Yo, that's a great coincidence. I did not name the dynasty at all. It was pure RNG.

Reactions:
Adrika of Kamalamai - January 1095

20230129180534_1.jpg

I agree that Buddhists should not be let off so easily. Keep them in prison until they are willing to convert.

(( B with the same caveat as above. ))

• 1Like
Reactions:
Vamadeva the Wise - May 1097

20230202152240_1.jpg

"I can see why you are known as the Twitchy." Vamadeva the Wise smiled at his concubine Kashvi as he planted kisses on her naked body.

"Really, your highness?" Kashvi rolled her eyes. There was a pause of silence. "I feel like we do not have the same spark anymore, beloved raja."

20230202152623_1.jpg

"This is a relief. I dreaded the thought of breaking the heart of such a beautiful young lady." Vamadeva said as he moved away from Kashvi.

"So you got bored of me within six months?" Kashvi was angry. "Is there someone? Is she younger than me?"

"It is just that I am no longer in love with you, Kashvi. That is the truth." Vamadeva tried to be as sincere as possible. "I did fall in love with you. But that was months ago. I am sorry for ruining your life."

"So this is it, your highness?"

"No, you are still my woman." Vamadeva realized that the words he had just spoken did not sound wise. "You will enjoy all of the previliges bestowed upon the royal concubine."

"I see..." Kashvi mumbled. A young woman helpless to do anything while being treated like an object by the most powerful man in the kingdom.

The awkward silence in the raja's chamber was broken by the sound of knocking at the door.

"Omprakash, is that you?" The raja called, hoping the person on the other side to be his friend, the Mayor of Tambar. The mayor had been wounded on their recent spar a few days ago.

"If I did not know better, I would think the mayor was the raja's true lover." Kashvi muttered under her breath but Vamadeva still heard her.

"Be quiet, Kashvi!"

"No, father, it is me!" The voice of Rajkumar Harshadeva came from the other side. "The council wishes to talk about the invasion."

"I will be there soon!" Vamadeva was excited. "The Kingdom of Bihar will become mine after this war."

"Your true love is warfare, your highness." Kashvi said as she slumped into the bed.

20230202152127_1.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
Voting session. There are two options -

A. Go to war with Bihar (since we have 500 karma now and the Kingdom of Bihar is the closest target...and we do have alliance with the Paramara Kingdom)

B. No war

Things to remember before you vote -

1. Newcomers must select a Player Character. I will now be providing a list of them in the next post.

2. Make sure to have "Player Character Name - May 1097" before voting In Character. You should also include your Player Character portrait which wil be provided below.

3. @Warlord Skorr , you get +1 vote (damapati) and @HistoryDude , you +2 vote (damapati plus spymaster).

Voting session ends on Thursday February 9, 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: