• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KiratRawr

Colonel
1 Badges
Nov 22, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Qorten has given me permission for this AAR to be fully interactive.
Hello everyone! Welcome to Suryavamsavali - An iAAR.

RULES

First things first, here are the golden rules that all players must follow -

1. There must be clear distinction between Out of Character and In Character posts, which will be started with Character Names in large bold letters and an image of your character (do not worry, I will be providing you with updated images of your character as they progress). This will help to keep track of who is who and make things easier for everyone involved.

2. Each player can only pick one character. These "Player Characters" will have to be a member of my court. If you wish, you can even select a character who can join my court. For this, I will be uploading my save file from time to time when necessary.

3. A Player Character courtier will be provided with an honorary title of your choice ("Commander", "Cupbearer", etc). This is to make sure that your character does not immediately leave my court once the game starts.

4. The job of Player Characters is to advise the ruler, which will be controlled by me, in making major decisions (marriages, alliances, war, etc). Whenever a major decision needs to be made, I will allocate a certain amout of fixed time for voting. Within this time period, the players must vote through In Character posts.

5. Player Characters will be rewarded with titles whenever a war is successful and lands are taken (you will thus become my vassals and gain more powers but every player must first start with an unlanded character). Or when the ruler revokes the titles of a disloyal vassal.

6. I will notify players if any important events that happens to their character (a child is born, character gets sick or they join a plot, etc). You can roleplay and make In Character posts regarding these events if you wish to do so.

7. If a character dies, the player can choose to either play as the character's child or a completely new character in the court who will then be given an honorary title available.

8. A player whose character has died has the golden ability to pick a character who is already a vassal.

9. You can join any time; provided I have available honorary titles that can be given to a new character.

10. Players should respect other players and no one will be allowed to make personal insults on other person Out of Character. I will terminate the character of anyone who violates this rule and prevent them for ever submitting another character.

Votes

The main actions taken by players throughout this iAAR will be through votes. However, not all votes are equal.

1. All Player Characters get 1 vote.

2. Player Characters who have gained landed titles get additional votes depending on your rank. Which means, +1 vote for baron or equivalent. A +2 vote if you hold a county or more. A +3 vote if you hold a duchy or more. A +4 vote if you hold a kingdom or more...You get the point.

3. Yoy get +1 vote if you are a member of the ruler's council.

4. Player Characters who are close to the ruler (family, friend or lover) will get a further +1 vote. These votes stack if you are say both the lover and the spouse of the ruler or a friend or family.

5. If you have additional votes, you should include a note at the end of your In Character vote post mentioning so. Generally, I will keep track of those things but sometimes I might make mistakes. Better to include them if you have these extra votes so that other players can know as well.

First Vote
Without any further delay, let us being the first voting. Now, this will be done through Out of Character means. Future voting will have to be made by In Character posts (I will be sharing an example soon). Here, we are selecting which dynasty and time period the ruler of Nepal will be from -

A. Vassal of Tibet
1.jpg

The oldest start date. Baliraja Licchavi starts as a Buddhist vassal in the Empire of Tibet. Will he remain a loyal vassal or forge his own destiny?

B. The Last Licchavi
2.jpg

Viking Age start date. In Real Life, Manadeva IV was the last Licchavi king. This Buddhist dynasty had originated in Vaishali, Bihar, India and ushered the Golden Period of Nepal. Can this old man prevent the extinction of his dynasty?

C. Solar Dynasty

3.jpg

In 1082, the Thakuri dynasty (who came after the Licchavi rule ended with Manadeva IV) was defeated by a man named Vamadeva with the help of the nobles. He claims to be restore the Suryavamsa (Solar Dynasty) rule in Nepal. In Real Life, this so-called Solar Dynasty ended within two generations. Will this Suryavamsa family of Nepal ever become as prestigious as the ancient dynasty mentioned in Hindu, Buddhist and Jain texts?

D. From Nuwakot to Nepal Valley

4.jpg

In 1098, the Thakuri branch from Nuwakot (also known as the Nuwakot Thakuri) were back in power in Nepal Valley (historical term for modern-day Kathmandu Valley). Having once been overthrown by the Suryavamsa dynasty with the help of rebellious nobles, can Shivadeva and his successors ensure that the Thakuris forever remain in power?

E. The Wrestler's Line
5.jpg

13th Century start date. In order to indicate himself as a person of great strength and power, a man named Arideva adopted the title of Malla ('Wrestler' in Sanskrit). Over a period of 600 years, acting as a key player in the India-Tibet trade route, the Malla dynasty would bring a Golden Age and help flourish the Newar civilization. Can they forge an even greater legacy in this timeline?

The Out of Character voting ends on Friday January 6, 2023. After it is done, I will be sharing the save file and providing the list of characters which you can select to start this iAAR.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Former Player Character List

1. Champak of Lalitpur (@Warlord Skorr)

1675009141980.png

Born: 18 July 1046
Died: 15 December 1094
Title: Damapati of Lalitpur
Wife: Jodhabai
Son: Champak

Champak of Lalitpur was born on 18 July 1046. A local Newar man from Kathmandu, not much is known of his early years except for the fact that he joined Vamadeva Suryavamsa's army during the overthrow of the Nuwakot Thakuri dynasty. After Vamadeva became the Raja of Nepal, Champak was made his Cupbearer and a commander in the Nepali army. While not the best warrior out there, as a commander, Champak earned the respect of his men by directly leading them at the front lines. He is remembered for being involved at the Battles of Padrauna (1086), Mithila (1094) and Yavamajjhaka (1094); all of which took place during various Nepali raids against their neighbors. After the Battle of Mithila where he had commanded the Lalitpur regiment, Champak was granted the Dama of Lalitpur. After the disaster at Yavamajjhaka, where his valiant actions saved the lives of his raja and many other Nepali men, his body started to become weak and he died from fatigue on 15 December 1094 at the age of 48, before his second child was born. He is survived by his pregnant Panjabi wife Jodhabai (29) and their son Champak (5).

2. Jodhabai (@Warlord Skorr)

1676709095006.png

Born: 1 January 1066
Died: 23 April 1108
Title: Damapatni of Lalitpur
Husband: Champak of Lalitpur
Sons: Farid Gakhar, Champak Malla and Gopi Malla
Friend: Adrika
Lover: Prabhu Prannath of Tirabhukti

Jodhabai was born on 1 January 1066 to lowborn Panjabi Hindu parents. Once she became an adult, she caught the eye of Bey Mahpal of Nandana, a Hindu vassal in the Ghaznavid Sultanate, and became his concubine in 1082. Their son Farid Gakhar, born on 23 July 1083, died a sickly infant of two years on 21 September 1085. Soon after the death of Farid, his father Mahpal died of cancer on 7 October 1085. The Panjabi woman did not stay in the Ghaznavid Sultanate for long. While traveling from one court to another, she met a Nepali soldier named Champak Malla; who had taken leave from the army to get married and would later become the Damapati of Lalitpur. The two had two boys together, the first named Champak after his father while the latter was named Gopi. Unfortunately, Damapati Champak died from fatigue on 15 December 1094 at the age of 48 while Jodhabai was still pregnant with Gopi. After her husband's death, she became the Regent of Lalitpur for her eldest son Champak until he came of age. During this time, she was often visited by Prabhu Prannath of Tirabhukti and became one of his many lovers. The Panjabi woman became heart-broken after she found Prannath in bed with her daughter-in-law Kumud the Unfaithful and learning that her supposed grandson Chandra's real father was her own lover. Jodhabai died on 23 April 1108 at the age of 42 due to her poor health. She is survived by her two sons: Damapati Champak of Lalitpur (18) and Prabhu Gopi of Magadha (13).

3. Parakram the Ill-tempered (@HistoryDude)

1677909042398.png

Born: 24 July 1057
Died: 12 March 1128
Title: Damapati of Kamalamai
Wife: Adrika
Sons: Amogh and Parakram
Daughter: Udita
Friend: Giriraja
Rival: Harshadeva the Fairest of Kathmandu

Parakram the Ill-tempered was born on 24 July 1057. While he belonged to the ruling Thakuri class, he did not enter the service of Vamadeva the Wise as a warrior but rather as the Court Jester. In 1092, Parakram married a woman named Adrika. The Court Jester's friend Giriraja, the then Chancellor of Nepal, convinced Raja Vamadeva to grant Parakram with lands in Kamalamai. Also with Giriraja's backing, the Ill-tempered further became the Spymaster of Nepal as well in 1095. Since Parakram had managed to rise through the ranks without becoming a warrior, many Thakuri nobles (including Rajkumar Harshadeva) loathed him. On 12 March 1128, Parakram died at the age of 71. He is survived by his wife Adrika (62) and their sons Amogh (34) and Parakram (19) and daughter Udita (22).

4. Adrika (@Idhrendur)

1679882208576.png

Born: 1 January 1066
Died: 16 April 1142
Title: Damapatni of Kamalamai
Husband: Parakram the Ill-tempered
Sons: Amogh and Parakram
Daughter: Udita
Friend: Jodhabai

Adrika was born on 1 January 1066 in a lowborn family. At the age of 16, she decided to enter the service of Raja Vamadeva the Wise as his Court Tutor. She became the mother figure for Archa Suryavamsa, the raja's granddaughter, after the death of the rajkumari's mother Saubhagyadevi Solanki. In 1092, she married Parakram the Ill-tempered. After her husband became the Damapati of Kamalamai, Adrika resigned from her position as the Court Tutor of Nepal. The deaths of her husband Parakram the Ill-tempered on 12 March 1128 at the age of 70 and their 21 years old son Parakram on 12 May 1129 from pneumonia caused Adrika spiral into depression. On 16 April 1142, Adrika finally died at the age of 76 after battling depression for more than a decade. She is survived by her son Amogh (48) and daughter Udita (37).

5. Champak II of Lalitpur (@Warlord Skorr)

1680504247133.png

Born: 23 May 1089
Died: 19 January 1146
Wives: Kumud the Unfaithful, Kamalika and Sureshi
Concubine: Li Lingyue
Parents: Champak of Lalitpur and Jodhabai
Sons: Champak, Chakra and Nirav
Daughter: Bhanuni
Siblings: Prabhu Gopi the Wise of Gorkha and Farid Gakhkar
Friend: Taktse Gyeltsen of Lhoyu

Champak II of Lalitpur was born on 23 May 1089 as the eldest son of Newar nobleman Champak Malla and his Panjabi wife Jodhabai. On 15 December 1094, when he was just 5 years old, Champak II became the Damapati of Lalitpur after his father died of fatigue in the aftermath of the Battle of Yavamajjhaka (1094). After he came of age, the Lord of Lalitpur was appointed as the Chancellor of Nepal by Raja Vamadeva. The Chancellor's first wife Kumud the Unfaithful cheated on him with Prabhu Prannath Rashtrakuta of Tirabhukti, the lover of the damapati's widowed mother Jodhabai, and even gave birth to a bastard boy named Chandra. Despite the uncontrollable rage he felt towards Kumud and Prannath, Champak II decided to raise Chandra as a brother figure for his first son Champak. He promised himself that he would never touch Kumud again and took in a Chinese woman named Li Lingyue as his concubine, with whom he had three children, two sons named Chakra and Nirav and a daughter named Bhanuni. After Kumud died from complications related to gout on 17 January 1118 at the age of 32 and her 8 years old son Champak passed away mysteriously on 10 January 1121, the Chancellor married his second wife Kamalika. On 11 July 1135, 36 years old Kamalika passed away as well due to her poor health and so the damapati married his third wife Sureshi. A shrewd statesman, Chancellor Champak masterminded the War of the Boy Kings (1128 - 1131) by influencing votes in the regency council of Raja Gokul. In the aftermath of the conflict, the damapati's brother Gopi gained even more lands than he had held before and House Malla became the most powerful family in the Kingdom of Nepal. Champak II died of cancer on 19 January 1146 at the age of 56. He is survived by his wife Sureshi (29), concubine Li Lingyue (59), two sons Chakra (26) and Nirav (21) and a daughter Bhanuni (24).

6. Amogh of Kamalamai (@HistoryDude)

1681188315054.png

Born: 16 May 1093
Died: 27 August 1154
Wives: Rachita, Bageshri and Shama
Parents: Parakram the Ill-tempered and Adrika
Sons: Atmanand, Amogh and Bhrigu
Siblings: Udita and Parakram

Amogh Samal was born on 16 May 1093 as the eldest son of Parakram the Ill-tempered and his wife Adrika. After the Ill-tempered died on 12 March 1128, 34 years old Amogh became the Damapati of Kamalamai. Seven years later, he gained a seat at the council of Raja Gokul the Young by becoming the Spymaster of Nepal. As the spymaster, Amogh rooted out several plots within the Kingdom of Nepal and placed a well-connected network of spies to monitor the activity of neighboring rulers and their armies. On 27 August 1154, the Lord of Kamalamai passed away at the age of 61. He is survived by his three sons: Atmanand (20), Amogh (18) and Bhrigu (17).

7. Chang Shi the Jittery (@Midnite Duke)

1682743789335.png

Born: 26 March 1095
Died: 25 June 1162
Title: Damapati of Athgarh
Wife: Gulcicek Pervane
Daughter: Zhenyi
Rival: Mangal the Vain

Chang Shi the Jittery was born on 26 March 1095. Much of his early life in China remains a mystery and Suryavamsi records first mention him during the War of the Boy Kings (1128 - 1131), where he fought against Nepali invaders as a commander in the army of Maharaja Jajalladeva II Haihaya. The Han warrior had no problem killing Chinese prince Zhao Xilie the Twitchy at the First Battle of Dohrighat (1129). In the aftermath of the battle, which was a Nepali victory, Chang Shi became a prisoner of war. Prabhu Gopi Malla the Wise of Gorkha, who became the Regent of Nepal for Raja Gokul after Zhao Xilie's death, recognized the martial prowess of the Chinese warrior and recruited him. In 1140, he married a Turkish Sunni Muslim noblewoman named Gulcicek Pervane and the couple had a daughter named Zhenyi. As a commander in the Nepali army, Chang Shi fought at the Battle of Kandra (1139) against Karluk raiders, the First Sun-Moon War (1140 - 1142), the Second Sun-Moon War (1146 - 1148) and participated in many Nepali coastal raids such as the Great Raid of 1154 and the Battle of Gheria (1159). The Chinese warrior developed a fierce rivalry with Mangal the Vain, another commander in the Nepali army, and the two would often compete with each other on the battlefield about whose units were better. For his service, Chang Shi was made the Damapati of Athgarh. However, this would prove to be more of a burden than a reward for the Chinese man. Chang Shi, who had spent his entire life to fighting wars far away from China, had a hard time adjusting to civilian life and he began overworking himself to death. On 25 June 1162, at the age of 67, Chang Shi died from the stress of his civilian work life as the Damapati of Athgarh. He is survived by his wife Gulcicek (43) and their daughter Zhenyi (19).

Current Player Character List

1. Chakra of Lalitpur (@Warlord Skorr)

1686066189666.png

Born: 13 April 1119
Wife: Gangambika Kalyani Chalukya
Parents: Champak II of Lalitpur and Li Lingyue
Sons: Ashu and Chakra
Siblings: Champak, Bhanuni the Pious and Nirav
Friend: Gokul the Benevolent, Thakur Margdeva of Prayaga and Chandresh the Purifier

2. Atmanand of Kamalamai (@HistoryDude)

1686066203312.png

Born: 11 February 1134
Wife: Tarpana
Parents: Amogh of Kamalamai and Bageshri
Sons: Sajan, Sudarshan, Jagadip, Ayush and Atmanand
Siblings: Amogh and Bhrigu of Puri
Friend: Tribhuvana the Hunter

3. Chang Zhenyi (@Midnite Duke)

1686066215645.png

Born: 8 October 1142
Title: Concubine
Man: Vamadeva the Loyal
Parents: Chang Shi the Jittery and Gulcicek Pervane
Friend: Bharati Suryavamsa

4. Parashar the Affable (@Capage)

1686066221208.png

Born: 20 September 1145
Title: Master of the Royal Elephants
Wife: Kanchuka Guhilot
Parents: Prasannamatra the Lecher and Jayanti Kathmandu
Siblings: Paramananda Prasannamatrid, Luniva Darnal, Dharmaraja Prasannamatrid, Kanchana Prasannamatrid, Kriti Prasannamatrid, Rajasundari Prasannamatrid, Vaaraharaja Prasannamatrid, Ila Nau and Ratnavati Prasannamatrid
Friend: Bhanuni Kathmandu

5. Prakat Viraja (@chilldude74)

1686066226114.png

Born: 6 May 1137
Title: Commander
Wife: Racakecari Natittancattan

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
D seems interesting.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I vote C

• 1Like
Reactions:
A reminder that today is the last day for voting. It seems we are currently at a 1-1-1 stalemate for options E, D and C.

@Warlord Skorr , @Idhrendur and @HistoryDude ; you can recast your votes (for either E, D or C) if you would like in order to break this stalemate.

Reactions:
I'll switch to C to break the tie.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Raja Vamadeva of Nepal - January 1082

20230107105115_1.jpg

Vamadeva Suryavamsa, the newly crowned Raja of Nepal, observed the 11 years old boy in front of him. Several thoughts raced on Vamadeva's mind on what excatly to do with this boy, the son of his deceased enemy.

"What is your name, boy?" The raja asked, despite knowing what his name was. The boy, Shivadeva, stood quitely and stared angrily at Vamadeva.

20230107105124_1.jpg

"My father asked your name, brat!" Rajkumar Harshadeva, Vamadeva's only son and heir, slapped the boy so hard that he was sent hurling across the throne room.

"That is enough, son." The raja ordered his son to restrain himself. He then paced forward towards the boy and helped him stand up. The boy glared at the raja and his son but said nothing.

"I will ask you again, boy. What is your name?" Vamadeva demanded. "You are supposed to respond when your raja asks you a question."

20230107105259_1.jpg

"I am Shivadeva of the Nuwakot Thakuri clan, son of Raja Sankaradeva IV." The boy finally spoke.

"Do you know what happened to your father?"

"Your murdered him!" Shivadeva roared angrily.

"I did no such deed. But yes, your father is indeed dead and I am the Raja of Nepal now. Do you understand?"

"Are you going to kill me now?" The boy's question surprised both the raja and his son. They had indeed thought of getting rid of the boy for his very existence threatened the reign of Vamadeva but still, to hear those words from the mouth of an 11 years old child was something else.

"The sins of your father are not yours, boy" Vamadeva sighed. "I will be your guardian henceforth until we can find a suitable educator for you. I will allow you to keep your old title as a Rajkumar of Nepal and you will be addressed as such - "

"Father!" Harshadeva interjected.

"I have made my decision, son." Vamadeva then turned to Shivadeva. "Go to your chambers, boy. I have other matters to discuss with my son."

After Shivadeva had angrily strided out of the throne room, the raja faced his son. "We need allies."

"The nobles support us, father." Harshadeva stated.

"The same nobles who betrayed Raja Sankaradeva IV. There is no guarantee of their support, son. We will need foreign allies in order to face domestic threats in the future. Do you understand?"

"Yes, father. You wish to see me married."

"Exactly!" Vamadeva smiled. "You are already 17. It is about time you get married whether we gain an alliance or not. Pujari Surendra has looked into suitable matches and there are four options available for you."

20230107113219_1.jpg

"Only four, father? I would have expected a rajkumar would have more options for marriage but very well." Harshadeva was surprised.

"First, there is a woman named Roopsundari. She is from a prestigious Rajput family and the sister of Raja Tejpal of the Tomara Raj. Another Rajput woman Pujari Surendra believes to be a suitable match for you is Saubhagyadevi, the sister of Maharaja Karnadeva of the Solanki Kingdom...Oh! I nearly forgot to mention that Roopsundari's younger sister Kamaladevi is also considered a suitable match for you. Finally, there is Panjabi noblewoman Sundari Gakhkar. Rumors are that she has already converted to Islam but I am not so sure, son. Her father, Bey Mahpal of Nandana, remains a devout Hindu despite being a vassal of the Ghaznavids."

• 1Love
Reactions:
First voting session with In Character posts in here now. There are four options -

A. Roopsundari Tomara

B. Saubhagyadevi Solanki

C. Kamaladevi Tomara

D. Sundari Gakhkar
Things to remember before you vote -

1. You must select a Player Character. I will now be providing a list of them in the next post. Their job right now is to advise Rajkumar Harshadeva in picking his wife.

2. Make sure to have "Player Character Name - January 1082" heading like I did before voting In Character. You should also include your Player Character portrait which wil be provided below.

3. Since you will all be picking a new character, you will all get just 1 vote and no bonuses this time.

Voting session ends on Thursday January 12, 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions:
List of Selectable Player Characters on January 1082

1673074118922.png

20230107123418_1.jpg

Note: If you do not like any of the above characters (who are already at my court), you can select a character who can join my court. For this, download the save file I have shared and in Find Character, go to Search All and toggle Join Court to 'Yes'.​

If your Player Character is someone who can join my court, you should post the following and I will give you their character portrait -

Name:
Dynasty:
if they have one
Culture:
Realm:

Also, I have modified the dynasty and culture files and added over 200 "Nepali family names" as well as Crusader Kings 3's Nepali character list for first names since most of the characters in this iAAR will be from this culture.

Attachments

• Nepal1082_01_01.ck2
    17,9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions:
Cupbearer Champak of Nepal - January 1082

1673218737472.png

A Muslim should not be allowed access to the future Raja, and it is not proper that a mother be unable to see her son. Sundari Gakhkar is unacceptable.
The Tomara sisters are less obvious in their lack of piety, but similarly unfit to raise a ruler.

It is not even really a choice. Saubhagyadevi Solanki should be the bride, even without consideration of her brother providing a counterbalance againt overproud nobles.

(OOC:

Vote B. Saubhagyadevi Solanki
Stubborn, Content, Zealous, Cowardly and a Naive Appeaser? This'll be a blast to role-play!)

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Rajkumar Harshadeva of Nepal - January 1082

20230107105124_1.jpg

"Those are valid points, cupbearer." Rajkumar Harshadeva said as he drank at the table, surrounded by several non-noble courtiers. Just as his father had advised him, the heir sought the advice of these men and women instead of the power-hungry nobles who would obviously want their daughters or sisters to marry him. "No offense to you but I will need to hear from more people before I make my decision."

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Cupbearer Champak of Nepal - January 1082

A Muslim should not be allowed access to the future Raja, and it is not proper that a mother be unable to see her son. Sundari Gakhkar is unacceptable.
The Tomara sisters are less obvious in their lack of piety, but similarly unfit to raise a ruler.

It is not even really a choice. Saubhagyadevi Solanki should be the bride, even without consideration of her brother providing a counterbalance againt overproud nobles.

(OOC:

Vote B. Saubhagyadevi Solanki
Stubborn, Content, Zealous, Cowardly and a Naive Appeaser? This'll be a blast to role-play!)
Glad you like your character (who has now been granted the title of Cupbearer) :)

And thank you for this post. This is exactly how I wanted things to be like. I was just about to do an example but you did it for me. I have added your character to the Player List and removed him from list of selectable characters in my court.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Adrika - January 1082

Saubhagyadevi is the most learned of the non-Muslim choices, she will best aid the land. Though it is a pity there are none who are younger.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Parakram - January 1082

iAAR portrait 1.jpeg

I agree with the cupbearer. The aid from her brother makes Saubhagyadevi Solanki the best option.

(Vote B)

• 1Love
Reactions:
(OOC: Can I be Court Jester? Please and thank you)

• 1Like
Reactions:
(OOC: Can I be Court Jester? Please and thank you)
Granted. Parakram will be the Court Jester. I will be updating the Player List.

@Idhrendur , since your character Adrika is female in a kingdom with Traditional Status of Women right now, only the Court Musician and Court Tutor are available to you. We will upgrade the status of women as time progresses.

Last edited:
Reactions: