• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey guys,currently I’m playing a mod called ‘Chinese Bureaucracy MKIII’.It’s created by a Chinese player and it’s posted on baidu.Some of it’s features are quite neat and can probably be useful for the mod.The author of that mod managed to make it so that all adult Chinese characters can get a bureaucrat modifier or a chinese strategist modifier if they have high stewardship or martial.You can get both if you have both high martial and stewardship. The author also made it so that anyone who married your children (if you are playing as a Chinese empire) will get the imperial guard.I think stuff it would be awesome if things like that are incorporated into this mod as well.

That sounds really interesting. Could you tell me a little more about that mod. I'm in China right now and I'd love to check it out.

That sounds really interesting. Could you tell me a little more about that mod. I'm in China right now and I'd love to check it out.
I cannot post the link because of paradox rules,but it should not be hard to find if you can access the ck2 baidu page.

The mod actually makes Han Chinese OP,but I really liked it.In the current version of that mod,the features are as follows:

There's a new government form known simply as bureaucratic government.It works similar to Chinese Imperial Government. Both bureaucratic government and Chinese Imperial government gives you bonuses in demesne size,vassal limit,intrigue,commander limit,tax,morale,and organization,free duchy revocation,concubines and a new castle building known as a yamen.The yamen gives you extra tax,tech bonuses and pikemen.

Bureaucratic government is freely available to all Han,Khitan,Jurchen and Tangut characters.

Unlike bureaucratic government,Chinese Imperial government's bonuses a slightly higher,Chinese Imperial government also gives you the ability to freely revoke baronies and kingdoms.

Once you have formed a Chinese empire,all your children(and their spouses if their spouses are landed and they are not) can summon the bodyguards just like normal Chinese princes/princesses and their spouses.They also get that Chinese prince/princess modifier which gives them some small bonuses in stats.

All Han characters(except for the characters at the start) can potentially get the scholar-bureaucrat or Chinese strategist modifier if they have high martial or stewardship.If they have high stats in both,they can potentially get both modifiers.I'm not sure if they Jurchens etc can also get since given I never played as them.

All Han characters with the Chinese strategist modifier can gain access to Chinese leadership traits.

There's a minor title called scholar-bureaucrat,which essentially allows you to get the building time and building cost reduction that you get as though you have bought a scholar-bureaucrat from China if you give the minor title to one of your scholar-bureaucrats.

So really,the only things that you need to buy from China are the master engineers and the Chinese artifacts.

Hans have access to not just one,but THREE cultural tactics.The three of them are :Chinese battle array;Retreat and Ambush Chinese tactic;ambush on all sides.

If the emperor of the Byzantine Empire is Han,he/she can freely adopt the Chinese Imperial government system free of charge and without needing to create a new title--meaning there's no need to do the de jure drift thing and lose Byzantine events. The Byzantine Empire gets renamed Qin Empire upon adopting Chinese Imperial government.

Taoism gets minor holy wars while being Han gives you a kingdom subjugation cb that costs you 2000 prestige and 1000 piety.

You can invade China while it's starving,having a civil war or being invaded by Jurchens etc with this mod.Another thing is that unlike vanilla where you select a family members to be the new emperor,you can only choose yourself.Upon successfully invading China,your character becomes emperor and whoever is your heir becomes the Protector-General of a fully hereditary Western Protectorate.You play as this new Protector-General.

Last edited:
Happy Gregorian New Year everyone!

I cannot post the link because of paradox rules,but it should not be hard to find if you can access the ck2 baidu page.

The mod actually makes Han Chinese OP,but I really liked it.In the current version of that mod,the features are as follows:

There's a new government form known simply as bureaucratic government.It works similar to Chinese Imperial Government. Both bureaucratic government and Chinese Imperial government gives you bonuses in demesne size,vassal limit,intrigue,commander limit,tax,morale,and organization,free duchy revocation,concubines and a new castle building known as a yamen.The yamen gives you extra tax,tech bonuses and pikemen.

Bureaucratic government is freely available to all Han,Khitan,Jurchen and Tangut characters.

Unlike bureaucratic government,Chinese Imperial government's bonuses a slightly higher,Chinese Imperial government also gives you the ability to freely revoke baronies and kingdoms.

Once you have formed a Chinese empire,all your children(and their spouses if their spouses are landed and they are not) can summon the bodyguards just like normal Chinese princes/princesses and their spouses.They also get that Chinese prince/prince modifier which gives them some small bonuses in stats.

All Han characters(except for the characters at the start) can potentially get the scholar-bureaucrat or Chinese strategist modifier if they have high martial or stewardship.If they have high stats in both,they can potentially get both modifiers.I'm not sure if they Jurchens etc can also get since given I never played as them.

All Han characters with the Chinese strategist modifier can gain access to Chinese leadership traits.

There's a minor title called scholar-bureaucrat,which essentially allows you to get the building time and building cost reduction that you get as though you have bought a scholar-bureaucrat from China if you give the minor title to one of your scholar-bureaucrats.

So really,the only things that you need to buy from China are the master engineers and the Chinese artifacts.

Hans have access to not just one,but THREE cultural tactics.The three of them are :Chinese battle array;Retreat and Ambush Chinese tactic;ambush on all sides.

If the emperor of the Byzantine Empire is Han,he/she can freely adopt the Chinese Imperial government system free of charge and without needing to create a new title--meaning there's no need to do the de jure drift thing and lose Byzantine events. The Byzantine Empire gets renamed Qin Empire upon adopting Chinese Imperial government.

Taoism gets minor holy wars while being Han gives you a kingdom subjugation cb that costs you 2000 prestige and 1000 piety.

You can invade China while it's starving,having a civil war or being invaded by Jurchens etc with this mod.Another thing is that unlike vanilla where you select a family members to be the new emperor,you can only choose yourself.Upon successfully invading China,your character becomes emperor and whoever is your heir becomes the Protector-General of a fully hereditary Western Protectorate.You play as this new Protector-General.
Oh wow, that's really cool! I think it'd be pretty cool to see some of that make it into the final version of the Tianxia mod! Thanks man, I'll look into this later!

when it will be compatible with Jade Dragon?

When it's ready......i suppose.

They need testers for an alpha version it appears.
See post #1097 one page earlier.

Looking forward to see Jade dragon and Tianxia mod fusion, that would be like Jade Dragon with east Asian map.

That's what we're working on at the moment. It's still to early for an ETA, but I'll probably have a dev diary for part of the compability update in a week or two.

For now, I'll just leave this here...

ck2_75.png

If you’re adding Grace actions to the on-map Chinese empire, could you add a similar system for the empires in the vanilla play area?

I’ve got a question.What’s with the capitals being in Luoyang?In both the Tang and the Song Dynasty,Luoyang was only a secondary capital and that except for brief periods between the end of Tang and the Song Dynasty,emperors more or less ceased residing in Luoyang after the Anshi rebellion.

I’ve got a question.What’s with the capitals being in Luoyang?In both the Tang and the Song Dynasty,Luoyang was only a secondary capital and that except for brief periods between the end of Tang and the Song Dynasty,emperors more or less ceased residing in Luoyang after the Anshi rebellion.

You’re right, it should be in the E’s demense, but not the capital.

If you’re adding Grace actions to the on-map Chinese empire, could you add a similar system for the empires in the vanilla play area?

Theoretically, it would be possible to add a similar system to the one being added for China in Tianxia (which reuses some of the vanilla Grace script, but also has a lot of new stuff added because we can't use the offmap screen and we also want the EoC to be able to, you know, turn down Imperial Marriage requests from his rivals and the like (as opposed to passively agreeing to everything because he is a wholly passive entity)) for one or more of the other non-custom empires (though it would be quite a bit of work to do it for all of them), but it isn't something we can do dynamically, and in a lot of cases you'd probably have to figure out entirely new stuff to add to the system because other realms didn't work like China for various reasons (for example, I doubt the HRE wanted concubines or eunuchs as tribute), which means writing new code beyond that already being added to Tianxia.

Since the general plan is compatibility first, flavour for the non-vanilla regions second, and fleshing out vanilla stuff a very distant third (particularly since we're not really making plans for reworking vanilla stuff that isn't in some way related to the Far East), it isn't something that will happen anytime soon, if at all. However, if someone feels like taking the Tianxia Grace rework and use it to add something for another empire in a submod (or an entirely separate mod, for that matter), it is probably something we won't have a problem with (as the person doing that rework, I won't mind people reusing my code as long as I and Tianxia get credited (assuming no one else on the Tianxia team objects or has further stipulations)).

Last edited:
Development Diary 10: A First Look at the Tianxia Grace Rework
Development Diary 10 - A first look at the Tianxia Grace rework

As you probably know, Jade Dragon added some more involvement with China in the form of the “China Screen” and the interactions you can find there, and despite the fact that Tianxia’s China is, you know, on the map it felt like a waste to not try to incorporate the Jade Dragon China mechanics that made sense to have with China on the map. However, since it is impossible to make an off-map title be held by an on-map ruler, the “China Screen” is not something we could use directly, and the Grace-related decisions that we ended up keeping have thus been moved to targeted decisions you can target the Emperor of China with (or his female relatives, in case of Imperial Marriages; see below for more info).

ck2_76.png

Most of the Grace decisions (and two non-Grace ones, of course).

The new system

First off, the Grace interactions can still only be used to target the Emperor of China, and only if he is Taoist (Note: Tianxia’s Chinese religion group has been removed because PDS’s decision to put Taoism in the same group as the Dharmic religions means we cannot have it elsewhere (because of DLC-locking) and too many things would get messed up if we kept the other religions in a separate group), meaning that any secret cult shenanigans resulting in e.g. a Catholic China or the Emperor of Japan (who, as you might expect, is Shinto) somehow invading China will disable the Grace interactions. Some other religions might get access to this in the future, but most likely not all (because if the religion of the Emperor of China is different enough things would probably work differently), and there are no guarantees that any non-Taoist emperors will have the Grace interactions enabled.

Secondly, to be able to use the Grace decisions you must be at peace with China, not part of China, within the Emperor of China’s diplo range (or own at least one Silk Road province), not be a prisoner, not be incapable, not be inaccessible (in hiding, in seclusion, etc.), and not have a regent. The AI also must be either independent or king-tier, for performance reasons and to lower the amount of events the Emperor of China gets as he might be a player and thus might not appreciate being spammed.

Thirdly, the likes and dislikes of the Emperor of China have been removed as permanent stances as other diplomacy is completely unaffected by such things and it would be strange for the Grace interactions to operate under their own rules. However, some traits can now impact how the Emperor of China reacts to certain Tributes; a Charitable Emperor of China is less likely to like gold or artefacts, for example, and a Lustful emperor will appreciate concubines more.

Fourthly, some Tributes and Boons have been reworked to some extent, and some have been cut entirely. The cut ones are “Stop Supplying Horses” (due to “Supply Horses” being reworked; see below) and “Request Invasion” (because it would be fairly messy to check so that China only declares wars that it can win and that a player on the Dragon Throne doesn’t intentionally sabotage the war, to name a few reasons).

Fifthly it is not possible to force China to open at the moment (because Chinese isolationism isn’t something we have implemented at this time), tributaries attempting to break free will have to do it the same way as tributaries to other powers, raiding China is done with actual raiders instead of a decision, and there is no special option to invade China to put a relative on the Dragon Throne just because you feel like it (Read: You have to get a claimant the old-fashioned way, or have to use other CBs, but you also aren’t forced to give someone else China if you manage to conquer it).

Finally, Jade Dragon is still required to use the Grace system, and the AI will not be using it without Jade Dragon either.

Below you find a description of how each of the Tributes and Boons work, as well as a general overview of both categories. Note that the localization is far from final, and that it will be considerably better in the future. Some other things might also change between now and when the compatibility patch is released (and beyond that) , but this is how things look at the moment, and I suspect we will not be removing things.

Tributes:
First, and most importantly, any character sent to China will be permanently disinherited, so don’t send people you might have a need of in the future.

Unlike in vanilla, there is no cooldown on the player sending Tributes of a given kind, but the opinion gain from sending a particular kind of Tribute does not stack, and the AI needs to wait at least five years before sending the same Tribute again, though different AI characters can still send tributes during this time.

If the Emperor of China dislikes you (or a person you seek to send to China as a Tribute), he can refuse the offer without a penalty (aside from negative opinion), and the player can also refuse at a cost if they are the Emperor of China. There will be a way to check for this dislike in the release version, but I haven’t coded it yet (because it is trivial to do and I have focused on more complicated stuff).

Tribute – Send Gift

The Emperor of China’s greed, as well as how much money he currently has, affects the amount of Grace you gain from sending gold, with a wealthier or less greedy Emperor being less likely to award a large amount of Grace.

ck2_77.png

Could have been better, could have been worse.

Tribute – Become Tributary

If you are within two sea zones of China or its tributaries and either aren’t an emperor or are a nomad, you can offer to become a permanent tributary of China in exchange for some Grace upfront and some monthly Grace. However, if you hold land that the Emperor of China wants, he will refuse your offer to become a tributary (though this might change in the future). Also, be aware that Chinese tributaries can fight one another without the Emperor of China getting involved, so don’t count on him protecting you against other tributaries.

Tribute – Supply Horses

This Tribute has been changed a bit from vanilla, and instead of having a lowered manpower regain you pay 300 manpower to give the Emperor of China a stack of non-reinforcing event troops (150 HA, 100 LC, 50 HC).

Tribute – Offer Eunuch for Grace

The most important bit first: The character being offered as a eunuch will be castrated when the decision is taken, as opposed to only if the offer is accepted, which is likely to make him a tad unhappy with you regardless of whether the offer is turned down or not, and his close relatives (unless they also are your close relatives) and dynasty members will be upset as well, so be certain that you can stand that penalty.

Secondly, the Emperor of China can decide to pass the eunuch on to a vassal instead of keeping him at court, which is more likely to happen if the eunuch is less good. This gives you a smaller amount of Grace and makes your character upset with the Emperor of China, though to a lesser extent than outright refusal.

Tribute – Offer Concubine

To be able to send a concubine, the ruler of China must either be an adult male who isn’t homosexual, incapable, a eunuch, celibate, imprisoned, or inaccessible, or the heir to China must live up to those conditions and be unlanded and at court.

Aside from refusing the concubine (which only is done if the ruler of China hates the sender or the concubine), the concubine can be kept (if the ruler of China lives up to the conditions above), given to the heir (again if the conditions are fulfilled), or given to a random adult male non-baron vassal vassal that the receiver doesn’t hate, and low quality concubines are more likely to be passed on to vassals. The Grace reward for a concubine given to the heir to the Dragon Throne is the same as for a concubine that the Emperor of China keeps for himself.

ck2_78.png

I intended for my daughter to be an Imperial consort, not the consort of some random guy!

In addition to your own female relatives, you can also send unmarried female relatives of emperors and kings that have ended up in your court, and we might also add the ability to send prisoners as concubines, though this might upset their relatives.

Tribute – Offer Commander

China must be a primary participant in a war that is more serious than a peasant revolt for you to send commanders, and you can only send female commanders if the Emperor of China has increased SoW to max (which the AI doesn’t do). The Emperor of China can pass the commander on to a vassal, which gives the sender less Grace, and this is more likely to happen if you send a poor commander.

Tribute – Offer Physician

This Tribute now requires Reaper’s Due. Approximately 20 % of China’s provinces must have a disease present to be able to send a physician, or a flat 30 provinces if the realm size of China is greater than 400. The Emperor of China can pass the physician on to a vassal, which gives the sender less Grace, and this is more likely to happen if you send a poor physician.

Tribute – Send Relief

This tribute now requires Reaper’s Due. Approximately 10 % of China’s provinces must be depopulated to be able to send relief, or a flat 15 provinces if the realm size of China is greater than 400. The Emperor of China has a greater chance of lowering the depopulation of his provinces while the relief is being sent, which is increased by the realm size of the sender.

Tribute – Offer Artefact

The Emperor of China can decide to give the artefact being sent to a vassal instead of keeping it, which gives you less Grace. Other than that, it works mostly as in vanilla, though Tier 2 and 3 artefacts are appreciated a bit more and the Emperor of China doesn’t mind getting Hermetic artefacts if he is a member of the Hermetic Society.

Perform Kowtow

This event chain is being expanded slightly at the moment to involve the Emperor of China a bit more, and in the future other characters in China might also occasionally get involved. However, be aware that going to China if someone there dislikes you, particularly the Emperor, is not necessarily going to be a good idea…

Boons:
Unlike in vanilla, the player can request as many Boons as they have the Grace for without waiting for a cooldown, though make sure that you close the response event when you get it to avoid issues arising from event targets and flags not being removed. The AI still has a cooldown, as in vanilla.

When the Emperor of China gets the offer, he has two options: Accept the request, and refuse the request. Acceptance sometimes is subdivided into several options; for example, if you request an artefact, the Emperor of China gets to pick which artefact to send, with his traits influencing just how good the artefact will be (though he may not pick an artefact you already have). In the case of Imperial Marriages there is another option as well that sometimes comes up; see that section for more details.

Unless the refusal is perceived as justified by the world at large, the Emperor of China will lose a fair amount of prestige, and the AI will never outright refuse Boons without a reason. Regardless of whether there is justification, the person asking for the Boon will be upset, however, and the Grace spent on the request will not be refunded, with one exception (again, see Imperial Marriages).

At the moment, only the female relatives of the Emperor of China that you marry are pre-existing characters, but we might add the ability for the Emperor of China to send an existing character to some other events. However, these characters would then be disinherited when sent from China, much like the Chinese princesses already are.

Boon – Request Peace Deal

If you border China or a Chinese tributary, or are within two sea zones of either, you can request a Peace Deal with China, which will be granted unless the Emperor of China wants your land or otherwise hates you. Neither party is allowed to declare war on the other if a Peace Deal is in effect, nor is a realm that isn’t a tributary of China allowed to attack China’s tributaries (the opposite is, however, allowed, and tributaries can also infight). As in vanilla, the Peace Deal lasts for fifty years or until the dynasty that rules China changes.

If the player wishes to get out of a Peace Deal ahead of time without resorting to murdering enough people to change the dynasty that sits on the Dragon Throne, that certainly is an option, though it is probably not something you want to do unless you really want to go to war with China or a Chinese tributary…

ck2_80.png

Look; I'm sure this was just a misunderstanding of some kind. Can't we just let this slide?

Boon – Request Physician

This Boon works basically as in vanilla. The main thing to note here is that this Boon will be unavailable if there are enough diseased provinces in China for the Emperor of China to be willing to accept physicians as tribute.

Boon – Request Artefact

The traits of the Emperor of China matter quite a bit here, as a Greedy Emperor of China is less likely to be willing to pay to send you an expensive artefact (he pays 50/100/250/500/1000 gold respectively for Tier 1/2/3/4/5 artefacts being sent). Additionally, in certain circumstances you are likely to get a painting of Shanguang Tí regardless of how generous the Emperor of China is (unless you already have one)…

As mentioned above, duplicates cannot be sent, so you will not risk wasting Grace on artefacts that get destroyed at once due to being duplicates.

Currently, it is impossible to get figurines of previous emperors due to some issues with how that is scripted, but hopefully they will be added back.

We will also add ways for vassals of the Emperor of China (and the Emperor himself, if he needs to) to get Chinese artefacts, but that hasn’t been added yet.

Boon – Request Strategist/Siege Engineer

These Boons can only be asked for if China is at peace or not in a war more serious than a peasant revolt.

We are planning to add ways to get the Chinese commander traits if you are playing in China (or nearby), but again this isn’t something we have done yet.

Boon – Request Scholar-Bureaucrat/Master Engineer

These Boons work basically as they do in vanilla. Again, there will probably be ways to get similar benefits if you play in China.

Boon – Request Trade Contract

This Boon works essentially as it does in vanilla. Ending up at war with the Emperor of China will terminate the trade contract prematurely, as will a dynasty change in China, but otherwise it lasts for twenty-five years.

Boon – Request Imperial Marriage
Because we can’t mod the actual marriage interaction, we have been forced to use a workaround to ensure that there likely are unmarried relatives of the Emperor of China around to be married off. All dynastic female relatives of the Emperor of China within his realm (or the realm of someone revolting against his rule) will be blocked from marrying (unless they end up being landed). Furthermore, because we want male relatives of the Emperor of China to be able to get married for alliances, it is not possible to request an Imperial Marriage for a woman.

There are two different ways to request an Imperial Marriage. The first, which the AI uses, is a targeted decision taken on the Emperor of China that has you select an unmarried male relative (or yourself) and then gives the Emperor of China up to three different adult female dynasty members under 35 to choose from, with a few additional conditions similar to those imposed on women that can be offered as concubines to China. If the only valid candidates happen to be lovers of the Emperor of China or someone he is actively seducing, he will refuse the request but refund the Grace you spent. This the only case in which you get a refund if the Emperor of China refuses your request. He also has the option to refuse the request with or without a good reason, as with all other Boons.

The second way to request an Imperial Marriage is by targeting the female relative of the Emperor of China that you want to marry someone to and then selecting your male relative (or yourself) as above. In this case, the Emperor of China gets the option to accept the request, refuse it because of the chosen relative being his lover (or someone he is seducing), and refusing outright with or without a good reason.

ck2_82.png

Let's hope for future dynastic claimants. And that they fall in love, I suppose...

Regardless of which option you use, the Emperor of China will, in AI hands, only refuse the request if he hates you, hates the person you are asking on behalf of, or if he is seducing/a lover of the target (in which case the refusal will come with a refund unless he hates either you or the person you’re asking on behalf of).

As in vanilla, you get a Peace Deal for 50 years if an Imperial Marriage is granted (with the duration of any existing Peace Deal being refreshed), which only can be lost earlier if the dynasty on the Dragon Throne changes or you choose to break it (or if the Emperor of China is a player and breaks it).

Since vassals of the Emperor of China might also want to marry Chinese princesses despite not having access to the Grace mechanics, they have near-identical decisions to the ones used by foreign rulers, though they have to pay 1000 gold if the offer is accepted and don’t get a Peace Deal (though, if the target is a close relative of the Emperor, they still get an NAP). Again, the AI only uses the decision that selects a random female relative of the Emperor of China for the same reasons as above.

If you feel like things would be more to your liking with China using regular marriages for female members of the Imperial Family, there is a game rule for that, but using that game rule will make it impossible to use the Request Imperial Marriage interactions. Without Jade Dragon, there are no marriage blockers in place.

Disabling Tributes and Boons

Additionally, a player that sits on the Dragon Throne and feels that, say, eunuchs are overrated or, you know, that their sisters are to be seduced rather than wedded off, can opt to disable portions of the Grace system, though this comes with a fairly steep prestige cost and a stacking monthly prestige penalty, so you should only be doing it if you really want something to be disabled. Furthermore, if you block every Boon, the AI will stop sending Tributes, so you can’t ignore the Boons and still get Tributes. There will, however, be a game rule to disable the entire system that isn't penalized, but hopefully you'll keep it enabled.

ck2_83.png

You mean I can't just ask people to send me stuff without being prepared to give anything back?

Attacks on the Emperor

As in vanilla, declaring war on China costs a large amount of Grace, and getting caught trying to assassinate (with plots, the “Assassinate” button, the Intrigue focus, or when some event fires) the Emperor of China or his close relatives will also be penalized to a similar extent, so make sure your assassins are discreet if you want to engage in such actions. Some other hostile actions might also be penalized (for example, if you are a cannibal and target the Emperor of China’s relatives, he might get a tad upset).

Other stuff

Various events that are tied to the Grace system are also in the process of being made compatible with Tianxia, though there might be those that don’t make it in the end (the goal is to make as many as possible compatible, but there might be those that just don’t work well with China on the map). However, there might also be events that end up being expanded a bit so that characters in China get involved in various ways, so there will probably be a net gain when it comes to flavour events tied to the Grace system (even if some of them might be postponed to after the compatibility update.

There are also some (rather vague, I’m afraid) plans to perhaps add more Tributes and Boons in the future, as well as possibly making it possible for the Emperor of China to proactively ask people for certain Tributes (and perhaps to grant them Boons without them asking for Boons), though that’s something that has a lower priority than general compatibility and that thus likely will come later.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them, and if you have any suggestions for improvements form the existing Grace stuff or for new Grace stuff, feel free to share them (though be aware that new stuff is probably not coming soon due to compatibility for existing stuff coming first).

Thank you for attempting to adapt the Jade Dragon mechanics to Tianxia.

Honestly, you should have just scrapped the grace system (along with pretty much all of the jade dragon mechanics). The only reason it's a thing in the un-modded game is because the Chinese Emperor is off map.

Last edited:
Well done adopting what you could of the Jade Dragon DLC to the mod!