In your opinion, who has the best/most fun mission tree?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Travis_Bickle

Colonel
27 Badges
Dec 30, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
Curious to see the responses :)

Potentially I think the PU potential from Austria's mission tree is really fun, as well as the boosts to IA and diplomatic actions.

For historical roleplaying, Burgundy's claims which basically allow you to form Lotharingia are really fun.

Otherwise GB missions are great for trade buffs.

Does best mean strongest, or most fun? Since Emperor there are a lot of nations with incredibly powerful mission trees. Especially also nations that can easily form other nations.

- I played Bohemia last night, and they have an incredibly powerful mission tree. By 1520 I had a big Poland, Lithuania, Hungary, Brandenburg and Saxony in PU. They have plenty of permanent modifiers, a unique religion and they're not an endgame nation. So you can easily form another strong nation close by (Poland for example, after integrating them or Austria proper if you beat them).

Others that are just powerful/useful/fun
- Savoy and Provence (you want ALL the PU's?)
- Oirat/Mongolia (Pax mongolica is probably the strongest permanent modifier in any mission tree, apart from Admin Efficiency bonusses)
- Qing
- Many of the Indian nations have great mission trees. Try Bengal or Bahmanis -> Hindustan for example.
- Last but definitely not least: The Mughals. Apart from (maybe) Yuan, the strongest nation ingame with a crazy permanent +10% admin efficiency
- Haven't played Austria yet, but it's what people say is the strongest nation at this time, because of easy HRE. So maybe try that out?
- I'm probably forgetting some

• 5Like
Reactions:
Does best mean strongest, or most fun? Since Emperor there are a lot of nations with incredibly powerful mission trees. Especially also nations that can easily form other nations.

- I played Bohemia last night, and they have an incredibly powerful mission tree. By 1520 I had a big Poland, Lithuania, Hungary, Brandenburg and Saxony in PU. They have plenty of permanent modifiers, a unique religion and they're not an endgame nation. So you can easily form another strong nation close by (Poland for example, after integrating them or Austria proper if you beat them).

Others that are just powerful/useful/fun
- Savoy and Provence (you want ALL the PU's?)
- Oirat/Mongolia (Pax mongolica is probably the strongest permanent modifier in any mission tree, apart from Admin Efficiency bonusses)
- Qing
- Many of the Indian nations have great mission trees. Try Bengal or Bahmanis -> Hindustan for example.
- Last but definitely not least: The Mughals. Apart from (maybe) Yuan, the strongest nation ingame with a crazy permanent +10% admin efficiency
- Haven't played Austria yet, but it's what people say is the strongest nation at this time, because of easy HRE. So maybe try that out?
- I'm probably forgetting some

In terms of strongest or most fun, it's either or, whatever your preference is. I find that some mission trees (say Burgundy's) are not necessarily as powerful as others, but they are incredibly fun to play. I generally like mission trees that give me the most PU options possible which is why I've found Austria's tree so much fun.

As Austria, I've found that the Reformation is the sticking point which can make the game tricky, but otherwise, in an optimal run, you PU Bohemia/Hungary/Milan/PLC/Castile and inherit Burgundy through the Mission Tree/events which is amazing.

I've just checked Savoy's missions and they are really fun.

I don’t want to pollute your thread with my hatred for mission trees, but why exactly do you like PU missions?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Whether they're fun or not is certainly subjective, but Papal missions are very unique in that several of them require catholic countries, rather than you as the Papal States, to do this or that. So you have to help other natons reach specific objectives in order to get rewards yourself, which I found quite novel and refreshing.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I don’t want to pollute your thread with my hatred for mission trees, but why exactly do you like PU missions?

There's many reasons why.

Firstly, PUing a coloniser means that they colonise for you, and once you integrate them you get all their colonial nations + merchants. In one France game I had Spain and Portugal as PUs, when I integrated them I owned the whole of the Americas and had so much money with my Trade Companies in Africa and Asia that I could practically do what I wanted.

Secondly, they are basically free armies. They fight wars for you that you use their claims to get for yourself.

Thirdly, probably above all else, as mentioned above, there's no other way to get that much land for such little resources. To own Spain as France, or to own France as England, would take several wars and massive losses of manpower, monarch points and huge AE, whereas with a PU mission you get them in 1 war and then the integration points.

I've honestly started to really focus on the PU game in my campaigns, checking the disputed succession tab monthly, and it changes everything. With the Mission Tree PUs I'm basically guaranteed a couple, so I like them.

• 7Like
Reactions:
France's or Aragon's I like the economic focused mission trees that have good economic rewards.
They aren't just conquer this integrate that the whole way through.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There's many reasons why.

Firstly, PUing a coloniser means that they colonise for you, and once you integrate them you get all their colonial nations + merchants. In one France game I had Spain and Portugal as PUs, when I integrated them I owned the whole of the Americas and had so much money with my Trade Companies in Africa and Asia that I could practically do what I wanted.

Secondly, they are basically free armies. They fight wars for you that you use their claims to get for yourself.

Thirdly, probably above all else, as mentioned above, there's no other way to get that much land for such little resources. To own Spain as France, or to own France as England, would take several wars and massive losses of manpower, monarch points and huge AE, whereas with a PU mission you get them in 1 war and then the integration points.

I've honestly started to really focus on the PU game in my campaigns, checking the disputed succession tab monthly, and it changes everything. With the Mission Tree PUs I'm basically guaranteed a couple, so I like them.

I actually don't like PU'ing colonizers all that much. They do colonize for you, but you get none of the benefits of that until integration, which you can't even start for 50 years, and then spend more than a decade completing. I'll get them if it's on the mission tree to save time, but otherwise, I'd rather conquer and core directly to get their colonies. IMO, the best PU subjects are Russia, Prussia/Brandenburg, Bohemia, and Austria. Austria usually isn't incredibly strong as a PU subject, but having them guarantees they are not emperor and makes the HRE a lot easier to dismantle.

• 1Like
Reactions:
France's or Aragon's I like the economic focused mission trees that have good economic rewards.
They aren't just conquer this integrate that the whole way through.

L'État, c'est moi is a really bad mission though, requiring 15 maximum autonomy as an average. Almost impossible since you can't get to that mission until after the Reformation and by then you've probably got a massive empire. I heard you can cheat it by reloading the game which sets autonomy to 0 automatically.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I actually don't like PU'ing colonizers all that much. They do colonize for you, but you get none of the benefits of that until integration, which you can't even start for 50 years, and then spend more than a decade completing. I'll get them if it's on the mission tree to save time, but otherwise, I'd rather conquer and core directly to get their colonies. IMO, the best PU subjects are Russia, Prussia/Brandenburg, Bohemia, and Austria. Austria usually isn't incredibly strong as a PU subject, but having them guarantees they are not emperor and makes the HRE a lot easier to dismantle.

Fair. It depends on your strategy. As Castile, I did wait for Portugal to take exploration but I also started colonising too, because I wanted the colonisation money ASAP.

Also, another thing I'd like to point out, is that if Iron man or achievements are not necessary, there is an awesome mod that remains true to the core of the game and that's missions expanded. While I think most of Europe has better mission trees since Emperor, it does a fabulous job on some of the rest of the world mission trees. Most importantly the Middle East and Japan.

Hisn Kayfa, Mamluks, Ottomans, Arabia, Persia all have their own and unique mission trees. Furthermore, the Korean mission tree is an absolute blast. And countries like Japan (and Korea) even have double missions trees where you have to choose between conquest or colonisation with each their own special mission tree. Its loads of extra hours playtime. With every mission tree you get to choose between the missions expanded mission tree or Paradoxes mission tree, so it's not like you lose out on anything (other than achievements) by enabling the mod. The trees are so polished that you don't notice the difference between the mod and the original game.

And forgotten nations like Norway/Sweden/Scandinavia got their own tree as well.

• 3Like
Reactions:
L'État, c'est moi is a really bad mission though, requiring 15 maximum autonomy as an average. Almost impossible since you can't get to that mission until after the Reformation and by then you've probably got a massive empire.

I finished a France run recently and didn't have any trouble with that mission. Why would having a large empire stop you from having low autonomy ? Because of territories ? Between buildings and estate privileges, I full cored almost everything I owned without ever going over governing capacity. And it's not a matter of not expanding very much either, since by the end of the game I owned all of Europe bar Russia and a fair bit of India and the East Indies.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I finished a France run recently and didn't have any trouble with that mission. Why would having a large empire stop you from having low autonomy ? Because of territories ? Between buildings and estate privileges, I full cored almost everything I owned without ever going over governing capacity. And it's not a matter of not expanding very much either, since by the end of the game I owned all of Europe bar Russia and a fair bit of India and the East Indies.

You spammed GC buildings everywhere and stated it? If you're trying to WC that mission becomes very hard. it's just not efficient to core everything. 25% would be a fairer number but just my opinion.

• 1Like
Reactions:

It's not too bad unless you have trade companies.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I cant say my absolute faverouite but my least faverouite are Austria and Spain. Spain for forcing you to be Catholic or missing 70% of the mission tree. Austria for the mission tree being just badly designed and it feeling more like tedious work to complete then a actual fun goalpoast like it does with the English mission tree. But around my faverouites its Bohemia for allowing allowing alt history or historial roleplay, Papal state, France, England and unique single missions wich are more then just claims like the Impaling of the Sultans for Romania or the +10 extra unrest in Balkan provinces mission Albania has. I wanna see more of those and less railroading or tedious missions.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Burgundy's missions are a lot of fun. One early part of the tree makes all of France's vassals disloyal (perfect for your first war against them), and the follow up mission lets you steal all those vassals from France for free. It's not easy to do but it's a fun little goal, and not like any other I've seen.