Culture Shifting change; two birds with one stone.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Piotrzeci

Complaining is my hobby
1 Badges
May 27, 2017
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
I did similar post before, but wanted to have it as a Suggestion.

When it comes to Culture-Shifting, it doesn't work. It's way too easy to do and doesn't work when should.

It's too easy because
You can destate everything and shift from any culture to any other. Size of country only affects the cost of adding full cores back after shifting. It is the cause of unreasonable tag-switching, as any country can meet the cultural criteria for any tag formation, just by conquering land of this culture and paying some Admin. It also helps the Nationalism-CB tactic, which doesn't sound as working as intended. Easy shift leads to cheesy tactics.

It's too hard because
The requirement of having a culture present in 50%+ stated land is not really one to be available without artificially pushing for it (with destating or just ignoring any land of other culture). On top of that there is little reason to culture shift, when this criteria is met. Why would anyone actually switch culture of entire country, just because other takes more than 50% of it's development, if there is an option to just accept that one.
The only situation when I would consider culture-shifitng, would be when I have few cultures of same group taking most of my development, so I would not have to accept every single one of them. Such situation is pretty much never the same as having one in more than half development, maybe they are evenly spread. But I can't shift, even though I want and it would be beneficial to me.

Change
Make culture shifting allowed, when some culture group is present in 75%+ development of whole country, without counting TCs (so unstated too) to the biggest one of them.
It makes culture shifting in the same group easy, allows shifting, when expanding into land of other group only (like Theodoro into Horde lands) and makes it hard for large multicultural empires (if they aren't in a situation like the Timurids).
There could be also a hard block on shifting, if you have vassals, to prevent old releasing-shifting-integrating. This however is just a possibile addition and I am not really pushing for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On top of that there is little reason to culture shift, when this criteria is met. Why would anyone actually switch culture of entire country, just because other takes more than 50% of it's development, if there is an option to just accept that one.
The cost to accept a culture could scale with % of that culture being present. e.g. Prussian is present in 7% of my stated development, then add this to the base cost. Accepting thus would not cost 100 diplo MP, but 107 diplo MP.

The cost to accept a culture could scale with % of that culture being present. e.g. Prussian is present in 7% of my stated development, then add this to the base cost. Accepting thus would not cost 100 diplo MP, but 107 diplo MP.
I would rather expect cultures to be cheaper to accept the more percentage they take.

I would rather expect cultures to be cheaper to accept the more percentage they take.
I can see your reasoning, but that would not fit well into your suggestion, I guees - or would it?

My reasoning is: while the incentive to accept is low (i.e. low percentage of dev) it should be less costly to accept another culture. The more the incentive to accept grows, the more costly it becomes to accept another culture. For a modern example: while mexicans in the US were a tiny minority, it was easy to "accept" them. The more Mexicans there are, the greater the chsllenge to "accept". Similar for Turks in Germany or North Africans in France etc.