• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nikolai

Basileus Romaion
78 Badges
Jun 17, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
2242.11.09 – President’s Office, Earth

President Ersh na-Filvan of the Republic of Sol sighed.

1676245074791.png

“Being the leader of a nascent galactic power is exhausting.” he muttered to himself. In front of him was a map of the galaxy. The Milkyway. A galaxy that, while still largely unexplored, had turned out to be full of surprises.

Space whales. Living space crystals. Aliens.

1676245056374.png

But most surprising? Romans. As in, human, yet alien, Romans of the Roman Empire. On a planet called Rome. In a system called Roma. Only eight jumps from Sol. And the Romans hated human guts. With a vengeance. Why, Ersh did not know. Earth had tried their best to be friendly. Rome had rebuffed every effort.

Now there was a cold war, the Roman Empire and the Republic of Sol rivals, and Sol secretly supporting the Sathorian uprising while waiting for an army of space marines to be ready.

The borders were secured. “South” of the republic a federation had formed between the decidedly human, yet – again – alien, Quenti Empire and the decidedly alien Desstican High Kingdom and Sovereign Otherian Domains. The federation had agreed to let Sol enter into a associate membership, and Ersh hoped to enter fully in due time.

“West” of this federation, in largely unexplored space, Janislaw Productions Limited – a human, yet alien civilization ruled by a company of all things, and the Freedweller Confederation, a human yet alien civilization living entirely in huge space stations that made his head swim merely thinking about their scale, resided.

How humanity had emerged all over the galaxy – or rather all over the part of the galaxy known so far, but who knew what lied out there? It was a question that had immersed Earth and her colonies for almost four decades now, all the while since the Roman Empire – he still thought that notion was weird, seeing how his great grandfather came from Sicily, Earth – had been discovered and had obliterated the poor exploration team entering their home turf.

1676245089498.png

Rome. He sighed again. And pressed the intercom button.

“Raol, could you please send in two painkillers and a glass of water. I’m beginning to get a headache.”

“At once, sir!”

That boy, what an eager and kindhearted aide. Ersh chuckled. That “boy” was almost 40 years old. But Ersh was 76 years old by now, he still remembered a time when Earth was the only home of humankind. Raol was born two years after humanity first left Sol.

Or, first time? Rome, Janislaw – a decidedly Polish name, but how could a Polish civilization be born on a faraway star? Poland, Earth was not 4000 years old and the Janislaw ambassador had claimed their first written records dated back at least that far. It was, for sure, a mystery. One that had rocked not only science and society, but religion also.

And the Quenti. What kind of language did it come from? Mesoamerican? He was not sure. They, too, claimed a long heritage. 6000 years, was it? As for Rome, no one knew. But the Rome of Earth rose, what, 3000 years ago? His head spun even more. He sure needed those painkillers.

1676245105435.png

And his cabinet wanted answers. Rome was weak now. Pathetic weak, according to the reports. Now was the time to strike, they said. But then again, Sol did not have a space marine army. Not yet. The navy was big, sure. 10 destroyers, 6 frigates, 20 corvettes. At the moment being upgraded to the newest technology Earth knew.

Rome was the time, but Earth was not ready. Not quite yet. And besides, their spies had begun to disappear. Intel were in some areas getting worryingly stale. And there was the matter of that army. He had the papers in front of himself. 12 contingents on Earth. 9 on Nathka.

And three on Unnabin Prime. One Desstican and two Othari. The migration treaties had meant that Sol could begin colonizing planets not suitable for human occupation. Sol had twelve planets under her control, more on the way. Several being colonized by aliens. It sure had happened fast. At this moment seven planets were dominated by alien species. He wondered how the population would look in a decade. A century. A millennium, granted nothing really bad happened. Now, in 2242, humans was in majority by far. He hoped Sol would prosper for millennia. He hoped it would prosper as a xenophile society. But, knowing his species…

1676245120502.png

“Well, hope is all we have in a galaxy like this.” he muttered to himself.

But, yes. He would order those contingents to be raised. He would also sign an executive order to move Earth Fleet to Yanduz Station as soon as it was fully upgraded. Sol could not risk Rome to rise again. Not under his watch. He was considering subjugating them as a vassal. Vassal. What an arcane word. He shuddered. But it fit best what he planned. Humanity needed the Roman beast to be tamed.

He pressed the intercom button again.

“Raol, please send for the cabinet. Tell them to convene in the situation room in two…no, let’s say three hours. It’s early still. And, I need those painkillers now, please.”

He leaned back. Yes, in a few months. A year or two, at most, there would have to be war. He did not like it, sending young, innocent men into battle. But he was a leader. Leaders had to make tough decisions. He had chosen this office.

He smiled melancholically. If only Eira had seen him now, in the president’s chair. They had worked for it together, to change Sol to something more, something better. He wondered if Heaven did exist. If it did, surely it was not out there. Or was it?

He closed his eyes. He could still see her face, faintly.

Whispering, he said:

“I will make you proud Eira. Your dream became mine that day we pledged ourselves to each other. I will make Sol a safe haven for all species, humans and aliens alike. But I fear it means I must wage war first.”

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well that's an interesting scenario.

Reactions:
Well that's an interesting scenario.
Yes! And I haven't played on yet, so it's all up in the air... :D
I agree with @Idhrendur. The Republic is in danger of being caught between a rock and a hard place as soon as the story kicks off.
At least the federation has Sol as an associate member and two is cordial relations and rising with the third being very friendly.

Reactions:
How did humanity spread so far? Is the in-universe explanation for this? A Human Fallen Empire?

These Space Romans appear interesting. Let's hope that their legions don't overwhelm Earth. I wonder if they're exiles from Earth, and that is why they hate Earth. They despise them for forcing them onto a foreign planet?

• 1Like
Reactions:
How did humanity spread so far? Is the in-universe explanation for this? A Human Fallen Empire?

These Space Romans appear interesting. Let's hope that their legions don't overwhelm Earth. I wonder if they're exiles from Earth, and that is why they hate Earth. They despise them for forcing them onto a foreign planet?
How did humanity indeed. Perhaps we will find out. Perhaps not. Perhaps maybe, kinda? We will have to see. *nods*

The Romans are weak, at least for now. And distracted. But you never know. Not even I. :eek:

• 1Like
Reactions:
2242.11.09 – Colonia Emarita, capital planet of Royal Sathorian Planet-States
2242.11.09 – Colonia Emarita, capital planet of Royal Sathorian Planet-States

Lai looked wearily up at the sky. Layela was still not under bombardment, but you never knew when the Roman scum would show up.

She looked over to her right, where the human she knew as “Roy” were standing, looking at his datapad. Roy, or whatever his real name was, was the unofficial ambassador – representative? – to the Royal Sathorian Planet-States. He had been a boon to the Cause, for sure, delivering on the promise of help Earth had not yet given. officially.

Earth had been their hope from the beginning. Rome had come down on his people, hard. Imperialist scum. He spat. His people had not been ready. But the Sathori were a proud people. Not long after the occupation started, plans had begun to throw off the Roman yoke.

Only, they were weak. But after a while, Ru – that was Empress Ru I now, of course – although she had been merely a local leader back then, decided it was time. The rebellion might fail. But it might not. It has been discovered that Rome had a rival civilization relatively close by, a curiously similar species, although egalitarian and xenophile where Rome were authoritarian and militaristic.

1676374858763.png

Of course, being under the yoke of anyone would make most people a little weary of strangers. And the Sathori were xenophobes, if only by necessity. But Sol was powerful where Rome, it turned out, were not. Rome was only stronger than the Sathori. Sol was stronger than both.

And friendly. Unfortunately, Sol had not been ready for direct confrontation. A miscalculation by Empress Ru, for sure. But when her plans. Their plans. When they had been discovered by Rome, the dice were cast. Roy had chuckled the first time Lai had said that, when they first met. Some humor was lost in translation, she guessed. She had not pressed it; the supplies Roy had come with of larger importance.

No, Sol had not been ready to join the fight. Not then. But Roy had said it might soon change. Lai prayed to the old gods “soon” was not too far off. Rome was still much stronger than their forces, even weakened by the Sol supported insurrections happening. The Sathori empire was an empire just in name, consisting of three star systems and only one planet. If Layela fell, the empire fell with it.

Ajandis had been captured by Rome. Sismak, disconnected, small and insignificant as it was, had not. But that did not matter. Not much. The Layela system, their capital system, was under Sathori control, thank the old gods. Atropatan captured from the Roman menace. But how long they could survive if not Sol got their collective a…no, it did not matter. Not now. She had to focus on the here and now. For the Empress. For her husband. For Dii, her precious baby. For her people.

She turned to the human next to her.

“Anything?”

He shook his head, a weary smile on his lips.

“We live to fight another day, my friend. It seems, from the intel I just got, the Romans are holding back, for now.”

He shrugged.

“Probably repairs. Last week’s operation greatly damaged their newest ship.”

He glanced sideways at Lai.

“Look, I wish I could come with a large armada, marines in tow. I really do. But the situation is precarious. Sol has no marines, and her armada, coming as she might, is several systems away from the border, let alone Laleya. My information is there is help coming.”

1676374872476.png

He smiled weakly.

“Right now, all I can offer is myself, my small contingent and a helluva lot of explosives. God willing, that will suffice until my government gets into gear.”

They stood there in silence for a while, the silence only punctuated by the growls of the Zaar’I owls and the wind. Lai slowly inhaled the air. Home. Nothing like it. She closed her eyes and asked the old gods, the new gods and even Roy’s God for deliverance.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Sol is aiding rebellions against the Space Romans now? Let's hope that they succeed!

Reactions:
Sol is aiding rebellions against the Space Romans now? Let's hope that they succeed!
Ingame, I didn’t have the required influence to support them when an event popped up. Thus we need to get creative. Hopefully the war will save them.

Reactions:
Ingame, I didn’t have the required influence to support them when an event popped up. Thus we need to get creative. Hopefully the war will save them.

Why solve your problems with clever diplomacy and political tact when BIGGER GUN Diplomacy is an option? ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
2242.1.09 – Overlord’s Office, Kobaria, capital planet of the Quenti Empire
2242.1.09 – Overlord’s Office, Kobaria, capital planet of the Quenti Empire

“My Overlord, the Sol ambassador is here.”

Overlord Ralpakini nodded. Sol. What a weird discovery that had been. Equal to the Quenti Empire in all aspects. For sure, they were not the pregenitors told in the legends. If they ever had existed, Sol was not them.

1676585512085.png

But, then again, this Earth. It had ancient civilizations that fit so well with the Quenti lore of times so old it was more legend than fact. It just...fit so well.

Well, she corrected herself, it fit to a degree. There were discrepancies. Like the timeline. It just didn’t add up. Did it? And if Earth and Kobaria had common history, somehow. Perhaps even common history with these Romans. What then? Who? Who did this, whatever this was? And did it even matter, for the future?

So many questions. She liked this Sol Republic though. Xenophile as her civilization. Common ground, in so many ways. And the research agreement was benficial. For both parties. Perhaps, one day, Sol could even be admitted as full member of the United Knowledge Partnership? Oh, how she loathed that name. It was descriptive, though.

1676585534092.png

Yes, she liked Sol. So did her federation partners. Especially the Otharian, their closest neighbors. Had it not been for this war with the Freedwellers and Janislaw Productions they were engaged in, she’d admit them already. If the council allowed it, she corrected herself.

Ah, yes. The Freedwellers and the Janislaw. Two other distinctly human looking species. Surely of similar origin – the Janislaw even had their name in common with an Earth dynasty. The Freedwellers? Well, that was a thought for another time. She had a war to win.

“Overlord?”

She looked up. She cursed herself. She had forgot time again. She knew she had to overcome that part of her. To be a better leader. More in the now. She straightened herself, and looked up.

“Send him in.”

The aide scurried out. Moments later, the Sol ambassador entered. He smiled from ear to ear.

1676585557568.png

“Overlord, what a pleasure! I thank you for seeing me. I am ambassador Trond Norli, at your service. The President speaks highly of you.”

Does he now, she thought to herself. She had met him only once. “Met”, as it was a holo conference, the travel time between their worlds too long even in these modern times. Perhaps in the future it would be possible to meet in person. Technology, the blessing it was, evolved fast.

She noticed the ambassador looked at her quizzically. Of course. She had forgot herself again. She mentally kicked her behind and let up a big smile herself.

“Ambassador. What a pleasure indeed. Our two people have already got to a good start. And sent my regards back to President na-Filvan, he was indeed a marvel to meet.”

She nodded to the table.

“I have procured this drink you call coffee, I hope it is of good quality. I am not accustomed to it, although we have a similar drink here on Kobaria.”

The ambassador sat down, bowing down to take his cup.

“Most gracious of you, Overlord. I have missed this more than you would know.”

He looked at her directly.

“I have looked over your reply on our inquries for a full membership to your glorious federation. While my government of course is saddened to hear it is still not on the table, your assurances of not opposing any....dealing with the Roman at our borders are most appriciated.”

His face darkened.

“It is a shame, so much potential is squandered by their hostility.”

He lit up again.

“But knowing the Quenti and her allies are our friends – it is most welcoming.”

She nodded. Nothing would be of benefit by waging war or do anything hostile to the Sol Republic. Especially not when they were warring with the Janislaw and Freedwellers at their other border.

No, Sol was best suited as an ally. But, she hoped Sol would not do too well against the Romans, if it ended in war. An ally was valuable. An ally which were superior to you in strength? It could be dangerous, for sure.

She looked back at the ambassador.

“The Quenti, and her allies, find comfort in common ground, free flow of science and trust between friends. I am convinced Sol and we will find just that. In fact, we have already come far on just that journey.”

She smiled.

1676585580383.png

“In fact, we have a proposition in just that vein. We know of two more star faring civilizations you don’t have contact with yet. We are willing to give you the data needed to establish communications with them for just a symbolic sum of 230 energy credits.”

1676585593202.png

The ambassador seemed unmoved, but she knew he was anything but behind his sombre face. And when he discovered – she was entirely sure his government would accept the terms pronto – that one of these civilizations were another part of the puzzle of humanity and her...relatives? She hoped the bugs installed in his room would not be discovered before she could hear his true feelings.

She was sure it would be an absolute pleasure to listen to.

1676585604005.png

1676585611418.png

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
It looks like Sol will have many allies. That's good - the Romans should be crushed early.

I wonder if some kind of ancient allies were involved in transporting so many humans across the stars? Or perhaps Earth's history is more complex than anyone knows?

• 1Like
Reactions:
It looks like Sol will have many allies. That's good - the Romans should be crushed early.

I wonder if some kind of ancient allies were involved in transporting so many humans across the stars? Or perhaps Earth's history is more complex than anyone knows?
No direct allies, several friendly inclined.

How this mystery came to be? Well, that is a question for the future. Will we ever know for sure?
Rome in space, sign me up.
Well, hopefully Rome will fall soon enough. :p
New allies are always a welcome sight!
Truly, it is so. :D

Reactions:
I love the mystery behind all the other Human civilisations, how they came to be, seems like something that would fit in perfectly with the upcoming story pack.

Reactions:
I love the mystery behind all the other Human civilisations, how they came to be, seems like something that would fit in perfectly with the upcoming story pack.
It was mechanically somewhat of a coincidence too, I have all my civs on available for spawn, and I’ve made a ton over the years. :D And still all these human civilizations, most of them from my Poland AAR, spawned so close to me.

As for the story pack, I must admit I am somewhat in the dark. Had a long hiatus from Stellaris.

Reactions:
2242.12.07 – Emperor’s Office, Rome
2242.12.07 – Emperor’s Office, Rome

Emperor Primus I felt his age. Granted, he was only 62 years old, not really that old, but he felt it, nevertheless. His father’s reign had seen the Roman Empire grow from a one planetary, one system Empire to a vast Empire the forefathers would never have imagined. His rule had seen the might of Rome continue.

1677191752729.png

Until Sol came along. It’s was unnerving. Earth had a Roman Empire of its own, although far away in time. He had learned this almost by accident, as Rome did not like Earth, nor did it want anything to do with them.

But then he had met the Sol representative a few years ago, before he rose to the purple. Purple. Another coincidence. Or was it? Could it really be? He had a hard time believing that. Somehow, the gods had played a part of this. They had to. The gods, which he once didn’t even believe in. Now, it was a certainty in his mind, they existed. And that they had, somehow, had a finger in all of this.

Sol. He shuddered. When his father met them, they were weak. They should have attacked then. Another civilization? So close? So much alike themselves? Perhaps – and he didn’t really want to go there – their original home?

1677191731922.png

Rome had been their home for millennia, of course. But the sagas about the gods talked about mighty beings, beyond time and space itself. They might have done…whatever, really. Perhaps the answers laid there, in the old stories. It was, after all, said in the sagas that Jupiter himself had once gone through the Mirror of Time, coming back changed. Who were to say the gods had not sent his forefathers back in time, back to before this…Rome of Earth history? Their written records spanned at least eight thousand years back.

Of course, it could be the other way around, that the gods had not travelled in time, but rather space. Taken Romans to this Earth. He resisted the urge to spit. Earth. What a headache. They had built up fast. Too fast. Now, Rome was weak. Equal in technology and economy – for now. But hardly a match if Sol invaded. And then it was the rebels. He sighed. If Sol invaded, he would face a two front battle. The Sathorians were weak, but Sol…Sol was strong. And getting stronger.

He would have loved to have some allies. But allies were not really Rome’s way. Sol, they had allies. And friends, however long that would take the day they became weak. If, he corrected himself, they became weak. No, he would have to build up. Fast. And pray to Mars and Jupiter and whomever would listen for Sol to take their sweet time. He knew he wouldn’t, were he in their shoes.

1677191741982.png

And then it was them. At least Sol, from what his spies told him, did not know about them. Another Roman enemy, but at least they could not team up with Sol. Another headache his father had left him. Why, oh why couldn’t that old bastard have waited with his hostilities? He had ordered all aliens they met to be killed on sight, or if possible captured and interrogated. Tortured, rather.

The cross were used in Earth’s version of the Roman Empire, he had learned. Funny that the humans had ended up worshipping someone killed by it. He shook his head. Stupidity. Pure, pure stupidity. He snickered. They should get to know the modern versions of the crosses, used by his people. Turned out electricity, in low doses, helped. For the Romans, that was. Real ingenuity.

He rubbed his temples. That headache. He needed something for it, and he needed it now. Tapping the intercom, he hissed for his personal slave to come.

“Spartacul, I need a glass of water and some painkillers.”

He paused.

“And a drink. Something cold and soothing. And get your ass moving, I don’t have all day!”

He closed his eyes, sighing. Those darned slaves. Couldn’t live without them, couldn’t live with them. At least Spartacul was loyal and ready to do his master’s bidding quickly. Not all came that way. But being the personal slave of the Emperor? Not all had that honor. Yes, Spartacul was all right, for a slave.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Why do I not trust Spartacul's loyalty? It sounds so much like Spartacus...

This was an interesting look at Rome's perspective.

These electric crosses sound interesting... I wonder if we will get to see them in action?

• 1Like
Reactions: