HoI4 Dev Teasers (previously Podcat's Twitter Teasers)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So tomorrow is the long awaited Soviet tree huh? Expected, a bombshell to mark the return.

They return with a bang. Literally.

We might want to pop to some popcorn for the drama tomorrow. The devs will be decked with flame-resistance armored from the flame war that will come tomorrow.

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
They return with a bang. Literally.

We might want to pop to some popcorn for the drama tomorrow. The devs will be decked with flame-resistance armored from the flame war that will come tomorrow.
Good call. That being said I at the very least hope Paradox made an effort to prepare this tree, given how important USSR is to the HOI4 experience.
AKA no random cossacks taking over-tier BS

• 1Like
Reactions:
Let's guess the bonkers meme alt-history paths they are going to introduce:

1. Return to monarchy (with a choice between some random Romanov and resurrected Rasputin)
2. Democratic path that features a return of Kerensky (and his subsequent assassination - how barbaric!)
3. Fascist path with some Cossack leading the return of all white Russian emigrants
4. Nestor Makhno-inspired anarchist uprising.

• 7Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I habe no problem with any alternative history path. I mean they can introduce whatever they want. However, in terms of USSR any non-soviet alt-history path feels uninteresting gameplay wise. Historically USSR in WW2 era is on the rise to become the second super power.
I just cannot imagine it being in the same position after a coup by emigrants to restore the Tsar.
To make it more interesting I am very afraid that these alt history options would keep soviet tag, the soviet scientists and generals which clearly were communist and the full soviet territory, which all would feel very bad. Or maybe it will have any other weird stuff to make it strong in terms of gameplay balance. Also bad...

That being said I refer back to today's teaser:
Vsya vlast’ sovetam
Let this be our main slogan for the soviet focus tree!

• 3Like
Reactions:
First dev diary on an updated focus tree is usually the historic stuff.

Not that there won't be some entertainment, but save a little popcorn for next week. ;)

• 3Like
Reactions:

Not that there won't be some entertainment, but save a little popcorn for next week. ;)

Good call.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Looking forward for tomorrow

Looking forward for the Soviet Rework (1/4) Dev Diary

But especially, looking forward for the return of my guy on HoI4 Dev team, he has fought here before, went to the Elysian Fields, and now i hope he's back for us

Stop giving them ideas, because you know they're capable of such atrocities
Don't worry, history is my guy's strongest point. He would deliver and keep the alt-history contents grounded (outside of some easter eggs), for sure.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
The same as the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field.
2b6fb34a-8047-4e17-b3d5-64987519657d.jpg

• 12Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
How's your guy ?
Last seen of him when he streamed with other devs at PDXCon, he is well. So yeah, that's why i'm 100% sure he already rejoined us.

1. Return to monarchy (with a choice between some random Romanov and resurrected Rasputin)
2. Democratic path that features a return of Kerensky (and his subsequent assassination - how barbaric!)
3. Fascist path with some Cossack leading the return of all white Russian emigrants

I seriously hope they will do something about a potential second civil war, with Denikin leading the White Armies!

• 4Like
Reactions:

ZOMBIE RASPUTIN CONFIRMED! Good thing I have been practicing my skills in SoD2!

• 6Haha
Reactions:
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
BTW., "all power to the soviets" might be already an alt-history focus tree element, replacing the CPSU leadership by a democratic (in communist terms) government led by the Supreme soviet.

• 3Like
Reactions:
BTW., "all power to the soviets" might be already an alt-history focus tree element, replacing the CPSU leadership by a democratic (in communist terms) government led by the Supreme soviet.
Not necessarily, the question of party Vs soviet authority was one that was active even during Stalin's time, with Stalin himself seeking to curb party authority near the end of his life(never truly going through with it due to cold war pressure and his abysmal health). It's important to note that Stalin was a first-among-equals in the party hierarchy, particularly central committee, rather than a supreme entity, so the party authority was not an enabler of his power to the degree we normally consider it.
I can see this being part of a sub-tree focused on party Vs soviet authority, independent of leader, a question which lends itself well to be explored in a quality focus tree, especially in how said authorities would handle Barbarossa and the dire situation of the Union during WW2.

Reactions: