Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century Coming December 11

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just watch the stream and the country was still called Navarra. Nafarroa is the name of the province itself while under Basque ownership. Which is how it is currently in the game. Part of Dynamic Province Names option.

I respectfully disagree with your reply.

In the year where the game is supposed to represent (1444 A.D.), Navarra was ruled "de facto" by King consort Juan, that would later become King of Aragon. The "de iure" monarch was his son, Prince Carlos of Viana, that was 3 years old at that time. Both of them were part of the Trastámara dinasty, henceforth not Basques (regardless the opinion of the development team).

I understand that the development team wanted to add a bit of flavour when adding the Basque culture to the mix, but, what nowadays is the Basque Country, was at that time part of the Castilian Crown; while the Basque presence in Navarra was circumscribed mainly to the northeast of that region.

Hopefully this discussion will trigger the curiosity of some people to find out more about the birth of the peninsular kingdoms.

There is little time left to consider the introduction of one or two kingdoms on the Canary Islands. The first is the kingdom of Taoro on Tenerife and the next is the kingdom of Gáldar on the island of Gran Canaria. The current division into two islands is bad Tenerife is to colonize and Gran Canaria is in the hands of castile which is not true, because the island got busy quite late because in 1483.
I ask creators to consider changes on the Canary Islands.
and this is a redirection to the thread on the Canary Islands:https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/canary-islands-the-kingdom-of-taoro-on-tenerife-kingdom-of-gáldar-on-gran-canaria.1125566/
thank you for your attention and I want to hope that even one of these two kingdoms will get introduced.

Last edited:
Portugal had the best and even the biggest ships of the time (and those didn't sink in their first voyage, mind you).
But the Vasa was the first submarine! Your Portuguese ships wouldn't have seen it coming!

Finally some flavor for the nation that was supposed to be the juggernaut of the first half of the game but since last patches was the punching bag of Aragon, France, Portugal and the Moors.

Anyway I saw your video presentation on youtube and notice a mistake; please fix a linguistic inaccuracy: Galicia was split into the 4 provinces but their names are messed up mixing languages. I suppose you would like to aim for a minimum accuracy. The problem lies in the provinces of 'A Coruña' and 'Orense', where you mix Spanish and Galician languages.

Correct names:
  • Spanish (Castellano): La Coruña. Orense. This may piss off some people but as long as Galicia is under Castilian rule I guess Spanish names are in order. Historically the kingdom of Galicia was submitted to a so called "domination and castration of the kingdom of Galicia" by which the language was forbidden and the nobility switched to Castilian noblemen. This had even wider consequences as the name was wiped out from "Spanish" history and the "kingdom of Asturias" was invented to replace it. Fortunately the Arab sources keep truth alive.
  • Galician-Portuguese: A Corunha. Ourense. In case of independent Galicia or under Portuguese rule.
  • Galician with Spanish spelling: A Coruña. Ourense. This is the unfortunate horrendous insulting modern standard spelling but it would be inaccurate in-game.
  • There is a name for A Corunha in English; that would be Corunna a.k.a. the scourge of the British a.k.a. the Englishmen's graveyard a.k.a. Guinness World Record of number of English defeats in a single place.

I also notice that apparently the province of Labourd is now part of the French region again. Long overdue. It's a danger to mix up geography, languages and political entities. Yes it was populated by basques. No it doesn't make it par of "Iberia" (properly, Hispania, hence Spain).

Last edited:
There is little time left to consider the introduction of one or two kingdoms on the Canary Islands. The first is the kingdom of Taoro on Tenerife and the next is the kingdom of Gáldar on the island of Gran Canaria. The current division into two islands is bad Tenerife is to colonize and Gran Canaria is in the hands of castile which is not true, because the island got busy quite late because in 1483.
I ask creators to consider changes on the Canary Islands.
and this is a redirection to the thread on the Canary Islands:https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/canary-islands-the-kingdom-of-taoro-on-tenerife-kingdom-of-gáldar-on-gran-canaria.1125566/
thank you for your attention and I want to hope that even one of these two kingdoms will get introduced.
By the way Lanzarote was temporarily occupied by Salé pirates supported by Ottomans, which could be good event to be included. Maybe as historical raid.
http://www.lanzarote37.net/en/detai...-and-defense-lanzarote-and-the-pirates/9.html
Adding it here as well. I also support adding new possibly tribal nations here.

A DLC that was suposed to include bonus features to Iberia that barely even touches Portugal. I don't think you even bothered changing Portuguese National Ideas, did you? Always funny. Give all the bonus to Sweden and then barely any to the ones that actually built an empire.

Portuguese Empire: 10,400,000 km of extension at it's peak lasted from 1415 to 1999 (almost 6 centuries)
Swedish Empire: 1,100,000 km of extension at it's peak lasted from 1611 to 1721 (barely 1 century)

We (the Portuguese) were involved in countless wars, in or outside of europe. How else do you think an empire that large could be maintained and even expanded? But yes keep stacking the deck on Swedish favor. You sure you do not want to add more military ideas to the Swedish ones?

Frankly the only good bonus I saw that Portugal is receiving are the ones about the Fuziliers but it is probably mostly a multiplayer thing and won't really have an impact in single player. Portugal had the best and even the biggest ships of the time (and those didn't sink in their first voyage, mind you). We don't even have one SINGLE bonus for the fleet (on a side note before someone starts bashing, yes the biggest ships of the time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botafogo_(galleon) )

There are countless nations in EU4 that one barely heard of and that barely had any influence outside their region and that got far better ideas than the Portuguese ones. Are the current National Ideas of Portugal the sort of Ideas you people at Paradox have for a nation of 1st tier?

I already said this in one dev diary, but maybe if I (and others) keep repeating ourselves, you might actually read it one time.

Well, enough has already been said about the importance of Portugal and Spain in that era.

What you have to interiorize is that it really doesn't matter.

How many portuguese and spanish players are there in EU IV? who cares if Aveiro wasn't even a city?

Unfortunatly we are now in the age of micro-transactions and games-as-a-service and this results in a quantity over quality approach.

You know... Pirates and Buttons!

From the completion of the Reconquista to the defeat of the Spanish Armada, the Iberian Peninsula was the center of gravity for Europe. Spanish and Portuguese explorers and conquerors built rich overseas empires.

Please remove the reference to Portugal in the GC description and stop calling it an "Iberian" immersion pack.

It's for Spain and Pirates, that's it.

Pretending that Portugal was given a fair shake in the development of GC is just insulting.

Please remove the reference to Portugal in the GC description and stop calling it an "Iberian" immersion pack.

It's for Spain and Pirates, that's it.

Pretending that Portugal was given a fair shake in the development of GC is just insulting.

But... there's marines right?

I was holding off on playing portugal until GC. With the nerf to colonization ideas and the buffs to morocco, portugal is actually weaker in GC than it is now. I guess i'll play as portugal now, while it is no so annoying as it is going to be after we get a lot of "immersion"

Edit: to be fair, portuguese missions are extensive and look cool. They're a bit too linear and only about "conquer this", but i like them.

Last edited:
By the way Lanzarote was temporarily occupied by Salé pirates supported by Ottomans, which could be good event to be included. Maybe as historical raid.
http://www.lanzarote37.net/en/detai...-and-defense-lanzarote-and-the-pirates/9.html
Adding it here as well. I also support adding new possibly tribal nations here.
The division of the islands into three or four will not destroy the balance. Castilla did not own Gran Canari, it conquered it in 1483. The existence of the Kingdom of Gáldar, with the commodity produced as grain or animals and the development of 1.1.1 will cause that if castile I take this state, it will be an enemy culture that will rebel.
The same with the island of Tenerife development 1.1.1 and the kingdom of Taoro. Just as castile will conquer all the Canary islands, it should be a mission that will change the culture on the islands. For a new canarian culture. Additionally, it will give some development for the island of Gran Canaria and will change the goods produced on the islands from animals and grain for sugar or dye. The conquest of these islands was very important on the way to the discovery of America.
Castilians have a chance to General Alonso Fernández de Lugo, who conquered the last islands for castile and the islands are Tenerife, Las Palma.
The Salé Pirates raided the islands and occupied the island of Lanzarote.
I agree that there should be events regarding pirate attacks on the Canary Islands.

Well, enough has already been said about the importance of Portugal and Spain in that era.

What you have to interiorize is that it really doesn't matter.

How many portuguese and spanish players are there in EU IV? who cares if Aveiro wasn't even a city?

Unfortunatly we are now in the age of micro-transactions and games-as-a-service and this results in a quantity over quality approach.

You know... Pirates and Buttons!
We could be a strong pression lobby in all games (very large community) but we prefer to insult each other just for in which country we have born (just watch some spanish forums) instead to be as one to demand good content, accurate maps and respectful and dedicated translations.

From the completion of the Reconquista to the Glorious Victory in Cartagena de Indias, the Iberian Peninsula was the center of gravity for Europe. Spanish and Portuguese explorers and conquerors built rich overseas empires. English privateers preyed on the gold shipped through the Caribbean. And the Catholic Church ruled hand-in-hand with great monarchs like Isabel of Castile and the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V.
There fix it for ya :)

A Swedish spaniard guy.

As a descendant of spaniards i demand my blonde hair and beard!
He is probably inspired by Pedro de Alvarado, google him, I know shocking, in Spain there are white blonde people... :rolleyes:

Even the Castilians used our own ships (Portuguese ships) and found them better than even theirs. But instead, you give the fleet bonus to Spain... LOL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/São_Martinho_(1580) (just read the link before commenting - even 15 english ships couldn't sink Sao Martinho despite the disastrous changes the Castillians did to the ship - the Castillians wanted ships for boarding and this turned this galleon, amongst other Portuguese ships, into slow ships hard to maneuver).

I wonder who at Paradox makes these decisions and in what history do they base themselves. Would love to have a chat with them about it.
If you want a naval feat deathmatch I can go, because Spain has more feats then Portugal and I am just going to throw in Don Alvara de Bazan, so yes Spain should be a naval power in this game.

Thanks for finally addressing mercs, I know the community has been talking about this for years and we really apprec - *wakes up*.

Honestly, having Holy Orders as tags in the new world is probably more justifiable than pirates. They basically ran Paraguay as a unique Guarani-speaking state for decades.

Hopefully there will be a face-saving diary for new world events, but let's see.

This could have been a good DLC, there was no need to rush this out so soon after Dharma. Again, look at Holy Fury, no one is complaining over the amount of time it took to come out.

Last edited: