Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century Coming December 11

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well that Spain was irrelevant in all periods after its golden era is just not true.

The golden era of Spain was from 1492 (conquest of Granada and discovery of America) to 1643 (battle of rocroi and the end of the military hegemony). During these 150 years, Spain lost no land battle despite being at war constantly with almost everyone and everywhere (take that for achievement). Its naval force was feared and respected.

After this period, I like to think of Spain as a giant-slayer dwarf:

In 1700, Spain was so relevant that its succession war to the throne caused the first great war of Europe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Spanish_Succession) with the intervention of Portugal, France, Austria, HRE, Hungary, Britain, Dutch Republic, Savoy, Prusia, Baviera, Cologne, Liege etc.

In 1775, Without Spain intervention, the USA would have probably lost its independence war. Spain invaded from Louisiana and overran the British Caribbean.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain_and_the_American_Revolutionary_War).

in 1808, Spain was the first country to defeat a Napoleonic army which until then were thought to be invincible. Meanwhile other actors -such as Prussia and Austria- were defeated in a matter of days/months. Moreover, Spain was a very important factor for the fall of Napoleon. The spanish ulcer -as he called the Spanish war- drained energy, men, equipment and funds from many other war scenarios which ultimately sealed his peril.

Not only that, the Spanish army despite suffering many defeats did not stop fighting and regrouping again, and again, and again, and again and again until the French armies was expelled from Iberia. Even the civilians rose to arms, fought, and harassed the French. This did not happen in other "important" actors of the time.

in 1936-1939, Spain was the first country ever to defeat a communist regime. Once defeated, Franco send the Spanish Blue division to fight against communism as a big F*CK you MR. Stalin! Of the 45000 men of the division, 22000 died in action and managed to neutralize 50000 soviets. Even Hitler considered the division as equals to the best German troops, and Spain as the only tough latins (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Division).

Other examples can follow if you wish.
So please, don’t tell me Spain was not relevant after 1650.
Besides, England knows better (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Jenkins'_Ear).

Changing the topic, I once wrote some ideas to improve the gameplay of Castille/Spain for EU4 in the MEIOU forum. Reading about upcoming expansion, I really do think these may come handy, especially for a country as important as Spain for that specific timeframe.

And that not counting the Reconquista, Roman Hispania (where some of the best emperors where born), the mighty Caliphate of Cordoba...

Semi OT, but Spain's 'defeat of Communism' in it's civil war had very little to do with Russia, less with Stalin, and a lot to do with demands for local autonomy.

Semi OT, but Spain's 'defeat of Communism' in it's civil war had very little to do with Russia, less with Stalin, and a lot to do with demands for local autonomy.

Really? so a totalitarian regime was fighting for greater autonomy? thats like saying the NSDAP was fighting for racial equality imo. I know not of any communist regime that has ever defended liberty of any kind, including the subsidiarity principle. Maybe thats why its called a proletarian dictatorship. But if you say so, then okey!

Btw, the spanish civil war had much to do with the URSS and Stalin as it was them that helped the most the republican side. They gave equipment and sended military instructors in exchange for most of Spain's gold reserves, which at the time was the wolrd third biggest reserve (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_gold). Isnt that nice! Even HOI4 has events to mimic this -so altruistic- help.

Other great contributions to the cause was of course the help granted to the spanish communist party to achieve hegemony. They not only murdered the enemy, but also destroyed their republican socialdemocrats allies and any and all other opposition in the republican government, including other communist non-stalinist movements such as POUM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POUM) and anarchists factions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_Days).

Liberty in all its glory!

As stated in this last link "In these events the supporters of the Spanish Revolution were outmanoeuvred by the recently expropriated bourgeoisie, represented by the Comintern-affiliated P.S.U.C. and nationalists. It would, however lead to the latter surrendering Catalan autonomy to the central government, a major factor in the collapse of the front before the Nationalist invasion the following year."

Being before the most important word...
So.... please, come again.....

Puerta de Alcala, Madrid 1937. URSS had nothing to do with civil war as it seems.
puerta-alcala-urss-k63E--620x349@abc.jpg

We are getting out of the question so I will stop here.

Just for curiosity, what does Semi OT mean?

Last edited:
The internal divisions between the Republicans in the Spanish civil war and the hijacking of the of the 'Red' side in what was initially a conflict over autonomy is exactly what I was referring to.

what is ppls issue? if you don't feel the pack is worth it and doesn't add anything- don't buy it (or buy it for like $3.5 in a few months on sale). no-one is forcing this product upon you, paradoxis clearly describing what is in it. raging over an immersion pack not being big enuff!? maybe you ppl need a break, take a a deep breath. do some real life activities.

Don't you guys have smartphones? :rolleyes:

Normally I buy nearly every DLC but in this case I am really in dought to order it because mostly I am playing northern european countries if this DLC will give me any profit in game playing. Perhaps I am wrong?

Can someone tell me why does this dlc recieve so much criticism?

Because more work appears to be done on Pirates than Iberia, the namesake of the DLC.
Third Rome also had global Orthodox rework and a major Russia buff, whilst Catholicism remains arguably the weakest major faith in the game playing Spain appears on the whole weaker than before due to colonisation changes.

I think that this DLC has been the third rather weak release for EU4 plays into opinions as well, whilst CK2 & Stellaris have had had a very content-filled DLCs released at roughly the same time. Additionally, virtually all suggestions on map changes (over 50 pages) in a dev diary that explicitly asked for feedback were ignored.

Objectively, this DLC is probably not that much weaker than (say) Third Rome or Wealth of Nations, but I guess a tipping point has been reached with fan frustration.

Am I the only one that wanted Portugal to get more? Especially provinces. They only got 1. 1 more province. Although the Portuguese mission tree has been greatly expanded, I feel as though the base power of Portugal should have been increased as a whole. They're just so much weaker than relative to Castile in the game than they historically were.
Also, who else is sad Navarra is losing its coast? I mean, I understand that it makes the fort easier to defend without naval interference, but now you don't get the ~10 free light ships from integrating them as a vassal.
Anyways, I just overall don't agree with too many of the map changes. I also still hear complaints from Spain fanboys who are still complaining about the inaccuracies in Iberia's provinces despite this update supposedly fixing it. On a side note, I am quite happy that Larbord is no longer part of the Iberian region.

What's with all Third Rome hate. I loved it. Only thing, Streltsy spam needs to be fixed.
I think it's a mix because I see people here using Third Rome as a comparably good DLC, but there are just some folk around who don't like it. I'm personally pleased with it, but every DLC can always use more work done on it.

Am I the only one that wanted Portugal to get more? Especially provinces. They only got 1. 1 more province. Although the Portuguese mission tree has been greatly expanded, I feel as though the base power of Portugal should have been increased as a whole. They're just so much weaker than relative to Castile in the game than they historically were.
Also, who else is sad Navarra is losing its coast? I mean, I understand that it makes the fort easier to defend without naval interference, but now you don't get the ~10 free light ships from integrating them as a vassal.
Anyways, I just overall don't agree with too many of the map changes. I also still hear complaints from Spain fanboys who are still complaining about the inaccuracies in Iberia's provinces despite this update supposedly fixing it. On a side note, I am quite happy that Larbord is no longer part of the Iberian region.

Just read, something like 20% of posts here have at least one complain about Portugal. It's the most criticized part of the DLC. They needed ideas related to naval and land, they needed more than one province (still much less detailed than Ireland to compare with a similar-sized but much less relevant country...) and more base power. The fact that it historically greatly overperformed for its size also justified specific mechanics (why not shared with Netherlands) about eastern trade. The only thing that shows how well Portugal did for its size, ingame, is ahistorical Castille's friendship. It's very a cheap way to do that. It's obvious that they did not put much effort in improving Portugal, they never did and did not take the opportunity of releasing a DLC about it to start.
About Navarra, I agree with you, but most people seemed alright with this, for History's sake.
I liked Navarra to have a coast for a challenging game making it a colonial power. THey even have naval ideas meaning devs had it in mind (meaning a country with no coast has more naval ideas than Portugal LMAO).

Last edited: