Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century Coming December 11

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
3 weeks later we will start talking about next expansion pack(big) DLC. Damn, Dharma is released like yesterday! You guys need to calm down a bit and increase weight of AI improvements and bug fixes. Also this way you would find more time to work on DLCs as needed. I am not saying they are awful like some others are saying but yes, they are mostly "not bad". I wouldn't buy them if there wouldn't be any discount, let's face it.

The problem, as I see it, is that a dlc / inmersion pack for Iberia barely brought any changes to Iberia. I mean sure orders are cool and all of that, but really it is just another button to click once and forget about it for the rest of the game. As I see it everyone will pick admin in their own provinces because the bonuses the other orders give are laughable and will never pick any order in subject, because, why would you. Then we got minorities expelling. Really guys? A mechanic that is 95% based on the model that British used in a dlc supposedly about Iberia. The colonization of Latin America was way different than its counterpart North. It is not so difficult to implement a different mechanic, a new one, that makes colonizing a little bit fun. As I see it right now expelling minorities is another button that you will click once or twice and get tired of it. Really. In mp nobody would ever waste points on it and in sp you may only do it to use less points in culture conversion, so, in the end, another button that is uninmersive. That's everything related to Iberia in this dlc, apart from the mission trees, but common, there are dozens of mods that make mission trees, it's not a unique feature, everyone can mod one mission tree, and the ones that are in this "expansion" are, in my opinion, really poor developed. Common, isn't anybody in the dev team that can imagine a few more missions for Granada?, for Navarra?, etc. As I was saying, the fact that the mission trees are so poor means that they should never be counted as part of the dlc. So the unique things for Iberia are 2 uninmersive buttons, one of which isn't even based in Iberian history. Then we got the things for everyone. And what do we have. Flagships, which is actually a pretty cool idea but, again, developed wrong. You just added a bunch of modifiers and said hey, here you have a bigger ship that buffs all your fleet. What does it do??? Yeah... The same that the rest of the ships. So again, another mechanic that isn't interesting beyond finding the most op combination and spamming it. And finally, my favorite one, pirates..... When I started reading the dev diary I was thinking cool, finally a new mechanic that is going to make piracy interesting. Then I find out that there are just a few more tags that can do the same as every other tag, that, as they are opm will never be able to sustain (sailors) a half decent fleet, that in mp will never do anything and in sp, sure they may be cool one time, but their game play is the exact same as every other nation. You know, you could have made a cool path for pirates to dominate their home region, a new subject type that makes them work with a great power to privateer their enemies and so on, but no, again, it's a half decent idea, really bad worked out. And yes, in case anybody was wondering, they are not related to Iberia, just to what Britain did. So, I started really hyped for the patch and the dlc, and I see that it may actually be the worst dlc ever, it's sold as an inmersion pack when it isn't (there is nothing that makes you feel you are by playing in Iberia instead of in France or Madagascar, no new events, no new disaster, no unique units, nothing, just a few buttons), but it also isn't a dlc that brings new content overall. In the end I just feel you really didn't want to do this dlc, but you had to or were forced to, and you put as little effort as possible in making it, 0 effort in researching, 0 effort in thinking, 0 effort in taking advice from the community, etc. I won't buy it and I won't advise anyone to buy it for the reasons I have exposed. And really, to make another pack with this quality, being it for France, the hre, balcans, etc don't even bother, really just don't even bother.

goldencentury_RDA_ForumPost.png

From the completion of the Reconquista to the defeat of the Spanish Armada, the Iberian Peninsula was the center of gravity for Europe. Spanish and Portuguese explorers and conquerors built rich overseas empires. English privateers preyed on the gold shipped through the Caribbean. And the Catholic Church ruled hand-in-hand with great monarchs like Isabel of Castile and the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V.

Golden Century, the newest Immersion Pack for Europa Universalis IV, takes you back to that age of adventure and ambition. This add-on to Paradox Development Studio’s classic game of empires and trade is inspired by the Golden Age of exploration and piracy. Golden Century will be available for $9.99 / £7,19 / €9,99 on 11 December 2018. Pre-Order it now on the Store!

Features of Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century include:

• Minority Expulsion: Settle your distant colonies with homeland minorities, promoting greater cohesion at home, while adding more diversity to your subject nations.
  • Establish Orders: Iberian nations can appoint Jesuit, Franciscan or Dominican clerics to govern their states to reduce unrest or ease conversion.
  • New Mission Trees: New missions and objectives for the nations of Iberia and Northwest Africa, including Spain and Andalusia.
  • Pirate Republics: Play as or combat against pirate nations in dangerous sea zones, with their own flavor and game style.
  • Flagships: Appoint a Flagship to lead your navy, adding combat and trade power to your fleets.
  • Naval Barrage: Use your ships to help besiege coastal forts by bombarding the walls.

Golden Century will ship with a major free update that includes an extensive reworking of the game maps of Iberia, Northwest Africa and Mexico.

I was hooked when it said “For SPAIN!” Viva El Rey!

Last edited:
I like what I do see, yet this feels a tad underwhelming an expansion for the greatest superpower since Rome... And probably in the whole of the history of our species.

Little nitpicking: I received a mail about the new DLC. It looks nice and all, but part of the white text is really hard to read on a nearly white background.

I had that problem reading the email on my phone, but my computer renders it perfectly (the white text is supposed to be in front of a dark box to give it contrast but for some reason that box does not show on my phone). Maybe it's a browser/mail reader thing?

Phone screenshot
Desktop screenshot:

Seems to be a bug in the mailout, we are currently investigating it, cheers for your feedback guys!

A Castilian 16th century ship with a modern Spanish flag has got to be up there in the crappy research hall of fame with the loading screen they used to have for Isabel II (1830-1904). But hey, at least now we have fantasy pirate nations.

A norwegian music dlc? Another scandinavian music dlc? Come on lol

Meh, see you guys in EUV.

Looks cool, but my worries are that the small irritating thing is still not fixed. Like the pause system where you are the master when game is unpaused.(details of my grief can be provide if asked for). AI troop movement/target of value worth to be called a true wargame experience. As it is now(for me anyway) the combat is not fun. Just waiting for a chance to have peace deal so I continue playing a game like. (except the combat ofcorse)

Forgot one grief about combat. Afte the long debate about forts and zocs in one of my threads I realized that there is a zero point, where the troops coming from in a move. How come that in many of victories a battle the retreating opfor is not going back where they come from? In many cases retreating into my areas(own or captured) and directly starting to sieg it. " things to fix tha can make the game more realistic combat wize should be 1: retreat path should calculated thrue this zero point in the first place and secondly create retrear path to friendly area or to a transport ship( if awailable and with a huge attrittion applied) then otherwize stackwipe or at least with a huge attrition penalty. 2: If #1 is not fixable, the siege ability must be curtailed until org/morale is more stable, say 40% just to give an example.