Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century Coming December 11

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As a Castile/Spain player this is so disappointing. I was waiting for this DLC for long time and all we get is a few extra mission, no special governments for Iberia, no unique units for Iberia(like Strelsy, Janissaries, Banners), no fixing for Colonial problems(they aren't colonizing / they are colonizing outside their territory). We mentioned all these but get no response.
I mentioned on this topic.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...nd-my-suggestions-for-golden-century.1130086/

From the completion of the Reconquista to the defeat of the Spanish Armada, the Iberian Peninsula was the center of gravity for Europe. Spanish and Portuguese explorers and conquerors built rich overseas empires. English privateers preyed on the gold shipped through the Caribbean.
The Anglocentrism in this paragraph is so thick, it’s sickening.

Last edited:
Watching your presentation of the game today, I couldn´t but notice that the Iberian map contained the word NAFARROA to refer to the Kingdom of Navarra. Such term is the translation in Basque (Euskera) of the name NAVARRA and is used by the Basque-speaker community, that lives in certain parts of that region. However, I don´t think it is a historically accurate name to display, as it was not used until modern times. So my suggestion would be that the name on display was KINGDOM OF NAVARRA or just NAVARRA.

Just a small suggestion, amongst others that players with more in-Depth knoledge of the game mechanics, have already posted.

Are there any new flavour events for Iberians in this patch, or perhaps new events pertaining to the colonization of the Americas? Or say, the conquest of the Philippines? Doesn't seem all that clear to me. The Third Rome one did add a considerable few for Russia after all

I do kind of agree that though I really wanted to see an Iberian Immersion Pack, this isn't looking to be that great a DLC. Arguably the most interesting feature is the addition of pirates, but that's not really Iberia specific. And it's really odd that the Holy Orders have been made exclusively for Iberians. I can only understand this done from a balancing perspective (certainly would make the Ostsiedlung a whole lot easy with that whopping 30 % discount), but doesn't make any sense historically for other Catholic nations to not have access to these orders. Another matter also is the map overhaul, which wasn't that great for Portugal, being given just one new province (albeit a pretty questionable choice of a province) or for Navarre with the loss of it's coastline, effectively nerfing an OPM surrounded by some of the most strongest tags in the game (it should have at least gotten one new province to compensate for the loss of access to the sea).

Also one lost opportunity here is dealing with the many Iberian military orders that were of considerable benefit to Portugal and Castile's Reconquista efforts. They could maybe have been represented as an Estate only available in Old World provinces, providing benefits to Castile and Portugal, that is as long as they to promise to wage wars against the Moors. Of course the orders gradually lost their importance with the centuries proceeding after EU4's start date, but an option to revitalize them and use them say, in a potential, spiritual conquest of North Africa would have been really cool. And let us not forget that Templars managed to survive in Portugal too, by rebranding themselves as the Order of Christ.

Last edited:
Noob question.

If I preorder the DLC in the site, do I get a code to put it in Steam? Because I want the DLC in Steam

Yes you should get an email with the code I believe. Not a sales person though.

For some reason I believe that everything will be fine for the Iberian Peninsula. In any case, this area was finally paid special attention and this is not bad. I'm just afraid it won't be two weeks after the release, but there will be diaries for a new DLC, and I'll be distracted from the game.

Watching your presentation of the game today, I couldn´t but notice that the Iberian map contained the word NAFARROA to refer to the Kingdom of Navarra. Such term is the translation in Basque (Euskera) of the name NAVARRA and is used by the Basque-speaker community, that lives in certain parts of that region. However, I don´t think it is a historically accurate name to display, as it was not used until modern times. So my suggestion would be that the name on display was KINGDOM OF NAVARRA or just NAVARRA.

Just a small suggestion, amongst others that players with more in-Depth knoledge of the game mechanics, have already posted.
I just watch the stream and the country was still called Navarra. Nafarroa is the name of the province itself while under Basque ownership. Which is how it is currently in the game. Part of Dynamic Province Names option.

I just watch the stream and the country was still called Navarra. Nafarroa is the name of the province itself while under Basque ownership. Which is how it is currently in the game. Part of Dynamic Province Names option.
I understand Basque culture needs a tag, but in real life Basque was not the official language of Navarre. They were Gascon and Aragonese, specially the later.

Reactions:
Will the English speaking world ever realise the episode of the Spanish Armada was insignificant for everything except for later British nationalist historiography? One doesn't even have to go further than the fact that it was followed just one year later by an even more disastrous defeat of the English Armada, that attempted to instigate a revolt in Portugal and ended up in tatters.

It is rather disappointing that Portugal is not getting better ideas. Their current ideas don't reflect their status as a naval power, just some merchant nation that doesn't even know what a war is.

Not clear what is the historical event this is trying to replicate, is there the impression that bigoted European monarchs voluntarily gave the hated minorities free land in their colonial dominions and paid for the trip? Anyway, culture conversion is not worth the diplo points, doubt this will change it, going Humanist still seems like the only competitive strategy. And why on earth would you want to make your Colonial Nations more unstable? They already struggle to survive against the natives, has that been fixed?

This mechanic is just plain bad, it involves zero strategy, it makes no sense to restrict it to just Iberians, and makes a mockery of the actual complex and far reaching history of these Catholic Orders. Has Catholicism been fixed yet by the way?

The lowest effort content, most moders could knock these out in a day. If you want to sell this, at least give us quantity, where are the missions for New World natives, for the Colonial Nations, etc.?

Disney Universalis 4? I'm sure there will plenty of witty puns and 4th wall breaking references. But it seems that the main gameplay aspects of playing as Pirates will be Naval Combat and Coastal Raiding, i.e. two of the most awful mechanics in the game. Have those been fixed?

Hero units in a grand strategy game? Is this really what we need?

And finally a mechanic which was designed in such a way as to become utterly pointless as soon as you have a single cannon in your army.

A more accurate description would be "an incorrect and underwhelming reworking of the game maps", as can be seen here, here and here, for example.

Such a wasted opportunity. More bloat while the many problems in the game keep accumulating. And it is clear that this update will close the door on future actual improvements to Iberia. Despite its importance in the EU4 period, it has almost never been touched and will remain a terribly historically inaccurate area of the game with bland gameplay.

I will not be buying this DLC of course, and encourage other players to also vote with their wallets and demand better value for your hard earned cash.

I will not comment on the spanish part but IMO Portugal has been the most neglected subject on this DLC.

A DLC that was suposed to include bonus features to Iberia that barely even touches Portugal. I don't think you even bothered changing Portuguese National Ideas, did you? Always funny. Give all the bonus to Sweden and then barely any to the ones that actually built an empire.

Portuguese Empire: 10,400,000 km of extension at it's peak lasted from 1415 to 1999 (almost 6 centuries)
Swedish Empire: 1,100,000 km of extension at it's peak lasted from 1611 to 1721 (barely 1 century)

We (the Portuguese) were involved in countless wars, in or outside of europe. How else do you think an empire that large could be maintained and even expanded? But yes keep stacking the deck on Swedish favor. You sure you do not want to add more military ideas to the Swedish ones?

Frankly the only good bonus I saw that Portugal is receiving are the ones about the Fuziliers but it is probably mostly a multiplayer thing and won't really have an impact in single player. Portugal had the best and even the biggest ships of the time (and those didn't sink in their first voyage, mind you). We don't even have one SINGLE bonus for the fleet (on a side note before someone starts bashing, yes the biggest ships of the time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botafogo_(galleon) )

There are countless nations in EU4 that one barely heard of and that barely had any influence outside their region and that got far better ideas than the Portuguese ones. Are the current National Ideas of Portugal the sort of Ideas you people at Paradox have for a nation of 1st tier?

I already said this in one dev diary, but maybe if I (and others) keep repeating ourselves, you might actually read it one time.

Even the Castilians used our own ships (Portuguese ships) and found them better than even theirs. But instead, you give the fleet bonus to Spain... LOL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/São_Martinho_(1580) (just read the link before commenting - even 15 english ships couldn't sink Sao Martinho despite the disastrous changes the Castillians did to the ship - the Castillians wanted ships for boarding and this turned this galleon, amongst other Portuguese ships, into slow ships hard to maneuver).

I wonder who at Paradox makes these decisions and in what history do they base themselves. Would love to have a chat with them about it.

Last edited:
A DLC that was suposed to include bonus features to Iberia that barely even touches Portugal. I don't think you even bothered changing Portuguese National Ideas, did you? Always funny. Give all the bonus to Sweden and then barely any to the ones that actually built an empire.

Portuguese Empire: 10,400,000 km of extension at it's peak lasted from 1415 to 1999 (almost 6 centuries)
Swedish Empire: 1,100,000 km of extension at it's peak lasted from 1611 to 1721 (barely 1 century)

We (the Portuguese) were involved in countless wars, in or outside of europe. How else do you think an empire that large could be maintained and even expanded? But yes keep stacking the deck on Swedish favor. You sure you do not want to add more military ideas to the Swedish ones?

Frankly the only good bonus I saw that Portugal is receiving are the ones about the Fuziliers but it is probably mostly a multiplayer thing and won't really have an impact in single player. Portugal had the best and even the biggest ships of the time (and those didn't sink in their first voyage, mind you). We don't even have one SINGLE bonus for the fleet (on a side note before someone starts bashing, yes the biggest ships of the time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botafogo_(galleon) )

There are countless nations in EU4 that one barely heard of and that barely had any influence outside their region and that got far better ideas than the Portuguese ones. Are the current National Ideas of Portugal the sort of Ideas you people at Paradox have for a nation of 1st tier?

I already said this in one dev diary, but maybe if I (and others) keep repeating ourselves, you might actually read it one time.
it's hardly possible to overstate the achievements of portuguese explorers and the ability of the country to maintain a trade route to the other end the planet in the early XVI cent. this was one of the most drastic changes seen in the history of europe. no nation came even close. not even spain with the exploration of the pacific to the philippines and the trafe system with america or the netherlands going after portuguese tracks and the VOC. and yet no trace of it in the dlc. if there is something that iberian countries made to impact europe that was global trade. however, devs are going to be working in... pirate republics.

it's not about not giving bonus to castile, it's that these 3 are the real early game naval powers by far.

all in all i think the real problem is with the way trade nodes work. hopefully in future EUs they will review it.