Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century Coming December 11

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's a foolish way to think. Who cares if they don't own the game? Anyone can clear as day see this isn't what fans hoped for.
Well that's an entitle opinion if I ever saw one. I hoped for something that changed game play, and I'm getting it. I guess I can see clear as day that I'll be getting what I hoped for and you are just upset you did not.

Also I'd much rather get feedback from players or non pirates, cause I only have respect for people that play and own the game. I guess you just look for anyone that shares your opinion even if it is unwarranted.

Well that's an entitle opinion if I ever saw one. I hoped for something that changed game play, and I'm getting it. I guess I can see clear as day that I'll be getting what I hoped for and you are just upset you did not.

Also I'd much rather get feedback from players or non pirates, cause I only have respect for people that play and own the game. I guess you just look for anyone that shares your opinion even if it is unwarranted.
What do you mean unwarranted? This dlc was so rushed. And just added a few buttons. It added more with pirates and isn't worthy of being called an Iberian Dlc. Hardly anything was added. Before you claim it is an immersion pack and therefore small, go look in suggestions. Many amazing suggestions were made there. All of then we're disregarded. Portugal kept it's ahistorical ideas, Portuguese ships were far better quality than Spanish, but Spain gets the +15% heavy ship combat ability. I am not so mad at lack of content but history not being correct.

A ship is nothing without its gran Admiral, which Don Alvaro died just at the start of the invasion, unfortunately.
But still even with the best ships Portugal got PU'ed

I fail to understand this post of yours.

Yes, Portugal did accept a Spanish King if you do mean that. The cortes (in Portugal) accepted Filipe II of Spain. We (Portugal) had a bastard trying to get control of the country but he was still a bastard and didn't have the support of everyone. That is the only reason Spain actually crushed this pretender rather easily, otherwise it would have been Aljubarrota 2.0. Or an earlier Montes Claros. Almost all Spanish-Portuguese engagments ended in defeat for Spain, despite the colossal difference in resources and men. I don't think it would have ended differently, if the proper support was put behind the proper man.

Also you seem to have trouble understanding war. Spain invaded by land. Ships can't fight in land. Portugal isn't an island like England - if Portugal was an island, even with the small support António Prior of Crato received, he would have won the war easily (if he had managed to secure the entire Portuguese fleet after assuming control). Spain by then was still determined on following the old way of fighting at sea by boarding ships. One of the main reasons why they got beaten so badly by the english. And why Portuguese ships couldn't do much by themselves.

You probably also fail to realize that the Portuguese actually aided the Spanish army/navy in fighting Antonio Prior of Crato but after all the comments I have seen in here and in other threads I would not be surprised.

Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquest_of_the_Azores or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ponta_Delgada for instance. Check the other belligerent nation fighting on the Spanish side. You might be surprised! You probably do not know but the oceanic galleons (on the Spanish side) leading the fighting in both those fights were all Portuguese. If Antonio actually had seized all of the ships, not even your Great admiral would have been able to move a finger. From wikipedia:

"the Portuguese oceanic fighting galleons, were precisely incorporated into the Spanish fleet, and leading the fight (despite being only two, they would be decisive, being the other ships Portuguese and Castilian carracks, urcas, and pataches). These galleons were also strongly armed—with its personnel and specialized bombardeiros or artilheiros—more suitable for such a strategy in the Atlantic high seas than other naus and galleons of more mixed-use, or the galleys (the widest Spanish resource for naval engagements until then)"

Also, I would like to point out that the disastrous changes to the Portuguese ships were actually ordered by Alvaro de Bazan. The Great admiral you actually speak of. The Portuguese ships were not designed for boarding, and the changes, as I said made them extremely vulnerable, slow and hard to maneuver. The Portuguese had been fighting their naval battles all the time and winning most of the time merely with their artilery.

But yes give the artilery bonus to Spain, Paradox! And not even one single bonus to Portugal, the ones who were better than the Castilians in naval warfare (in open ocean at least).

Taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ponta_Delgada. Probably not the best quote but the only one I could find with my limited time. Might add more later, or not.

"In spite of the effective use of artillery, the battle was largely decided in the traditional style of boarding the enemy, although the Portuguese were the first to understand the importance of naval artillery. Apparently, Strozzi ignored the Portuguese who were in his fleet and recommended the use of artillery in their line of battle tactic, as they were doing in the Indian Ocean (resolving many battles by gunnery alone), and who would be adopted by the other Europeans in the 17th century"

Last edited:
Wow, what's with all the hate towards Paradox lately? Was Dharma THAT bad that everyone's nitpicking every single thing wrong with this new one?

Also, when I read "Golden Century" I instantly thought of them replacing colonial nations in the New World with Trade Companies.

Wow, what's with all the hate towards Paradox lately? Was Dharma THAT bad that everyone's nitpicking every single thing wrong with this new one?

Also, when I read "Golden Century" I instantly thought of them replacing colonial nations in the New World with Trade Companies.
I don't understand Dharma hate. The hate should be with the free patch accompanying the DLC. Thats what added no religious conversion in territories and corruption for too many territories. I understand why and I dont like GC either. I would be much more interesting had there been some historical accuracy(Portugal having better ships than spain).

Quick rundown to every change to Portugal in probably the only patch and DLC they will ever get:

Patch:
+1 (historically irrelevant) province (will be low dev, will cause bordergore).

DLC:
A unique Flagship capable of either:
-Saving 25 sword mana everytime you bombard a blockaded coastal province
- +100 Colonization range
- +2 Trade Power to light ships (because of course Portugal needs to be more trade oriented)

A unique naval doctrine which allows:
-Embarking and disembarking 66% faster and no crossing penalties if they happen to land on an enemy stack

A few new missions of unknown content (My money is on "10% Trade efficiency for 25 years" rewards)

Generic looking ship models

Thats it.
Am i forgeting something?
Oh right, the option to end the misery and tag switch to Brazil.

Noice.

Quick rundown to every change to Portugal in probably the only patch and DLC they will ever get:

Patch:

DLC:
- +2 Trade Power to light ships (because of course Portugal needs to be more trade oriented)

-Embarking and disembarking 66% faster and no crossing penalties if they happen to land on an enemy stack

A few new missions of unknown content (My money is on "10% Trade efficiency for 25 years" rewards)

Thats it.

Noice.

The Brazilian independence only hapened after the game's timeframe ends, so I do not even know why they even bothered with these decisions, which are totally ahistorical as well. Maybe one of their devs is Brazilian or they just wanted to make the DLC more appealing to Brazilians.

This DLC is full of funny things - from "Disney Pirates" (like someone else mentioned), to Super Texas (which has a far better and stronger military than Portugal and Texas DID NOT EVEN EXIST at the time).

I was expecting an unique unit for all Iberian nations - Tercios - like the one the Indians got or the Russians but with stronger military capability. But I guess people in Paradox believe the Indians and Russians actually had stronger military forces compared to those of Iberia. I did not exactly hate the Dharma update but when I see those buffs the indian nations received compared to the ones Iberian nations are receiving, I feel a bit disgusted. Afonso de Albuquerque was known as the Terror of the Indians, and countless Indian realms (in real life) kept asking for European aid in modernizing their forces throughout the game's timeframe. Which shows, that their military was not really that modern/efficient. But in this game, their historical disorganized mobs actually have bigger discipline than the ones conquering and winning over them.

The Brazilian independence only hapened after the game's timeframe ends, so I do not even know why they even bothered with these decisions, which are totally ahistorical as well. Maybe one of their devs is Brazilian or they just wanted to make the DLC more appealing to Brazilians.

This DLC is full of funny things - from "Disney Pirates" (like someone else mentioned), to Super Texas (which has a far better and stronger military than Portugal and Texas DID NOT EVEN EXIST at the time).

I was expecting an unique unit for all Iberian nations - Tercios - like the one the Indians got or the Russians but with stronger military capability. But I guess people in Paradox believe the Indians and Russians actually had stronger military forces compared to those of Iberia. I did not exactly hate the Dharma update but when I see those buffs the indian nations received compared to the ones Iberian nations are receiving, I feel a bit disgusted. Afonso de Albuquerque was known as the Terror of the Indians, and countless Indian realms (in real life) kept asking for European aid in modernizing their forces throughout the game's timeframe. Which shows, that their military was not really that modern/efficient. But in this game, their historical disorganized mobs actually have bigger discipline than the ones conquering and winning over them.
Brazil got literally no improvments in any way in this patch and DLC, they are one of the most neglected regions in the world so i wouldn't say they did it because of any pro-Brazilian bias or to appeal to Brazilians.
If anything it was simply the ultimate dick move to add insult to injury to Portugal.

Can you imagine the ghosts of the 1600 Portuguese Soldiers that defeated 40 000 indians in Goa looking at this game and seeing Indian sultanates with 10% Cavalry ability and 10% Infantry ability while Portugal gets 5% trade efficiency and 10% trade efficiency?

Last edited:
So this appears to be a mixed bag of things, and while I think it will be good, as most Paradox expansions are, I am concerned that there isn't much substance being added to the game for the majority of fluff. For example, while I think it is great that Andalusia is finally getting some long over due love, the addition of the ability to export minorities to the colonies in order to promote cultural unity is not important, especially if the nation's cultures are all in the same culture group.

I can see your nationalism spilling all over, yes let's downplay the English and French and while we are at it, let's minimize the undefeated Admiral!
You actually believe Portugal would have defeated the Spanish Empire at its Military height? I think not.
(Disclaimer: While I am not minimizing or dismissing Portuguese naval prowess, you seem to complain about Spain not deserving it while saying that all the Spanish navy was Portuguese! nonsense).

You are asking if Portugal would have defeated Spain while we have a lot of examples of it. I'm not even sure that Portugal lost any major war against its neighbour (being Castille or Spain), besides the one that led to Portugal "being PU'ed".
And to be fair, this was not exactly Spain defeating Portugal but Spain defeating pretenders and part of the nobility (while another part was on Spanish side).
Trying to minimize naval portuguese supremacy during this era (because that's what you do) because a country divided between pretenders lost a land war against Spain is the nonsense here.

Patch:

DLC:

Thats it.

Noice.
I think I will never play Portugal again if I see a single mission giving it more trade efficiency. So already I am expecting to play it once then drop it forever. I'm obviously exaggerating but I expect this to be the case.

And the tag switching decision is completely ahistorical for the game's timeframe. Adding Aveiro as a province is the ultimate testament to how little research and effort they seem to have put into these map changes, especially when compared to every map change pre Poland patch (looking at you Ireland and India).

Last edited:
I personally don't even play the vanilla game anymore. I'll just take the cosmetics, and even in that, it could have been better :
Pirate's first tier looks anachronistic
Ships look like toys and are inaccurate (to me a carrack didn't look like this)
Portugal needed a caravel with latin sails
Portugal and Aragon deserved cavalry models just like Spain

Last edited:
I personally don't even play the vanilla game anymore. I'll just take the cosmetics, and even in that, it could have been better :
Pirate's first tier looks anachronistic
Ships look like toys and are inaccurate (to me a carrack didn't look like this)
Portugal needed a caravel with latin sails
Portugal and Aragon deserved cavalry models just like Spain
I dont play vanilla either, but there aren't a lot of mods that change the Problems in Iberia other than Provinces.
In fact there is only one mod that changes Portugal's NI's to something acceptable, because i texted the creator and managed to persuade him to add an option to change ideas, but even that mod also adds a mission tree and goverment reforms with both positive (trade) and negative (Morale or Tax efficiency) rewards and so prepetuates the Portugal is a 100% trade nation who pisses itself at the notion of war meme.
And i also very much like playing multiplayer with my mate, but he doesn't like mods, so i am forced to play vanilla with him.