Can We Change the Building Types for Turkish/Anatolian Nations?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BlazeItStars

Recruit
27 Badges
Mar 29, 2018
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hi! I know this isn't a major issue at all, I felt the need of sharing this just for the sake of historical accuracy, in game depth and Common Sense (heh). As someone who lives by, seeing adobe buildings in Sinop, Bolu, Ankara, basically the whole Anatolia, feels like seeing igloos for Mamluks as buildings. Adobe buildings were never used by Turks because of the humidity of the enviroment that they were around, Anatolia gets moderetely frequent rainfall. Instead, houses, mosques, governmental buildings etc. were built of wood and stone, with a quite distinct and somewhat cute style. However, the adobe buildings which are used for the muslim nations in game also wouldn't stand a chance and melt away with time if they were actually built in Anatolia.

• What I would propose would be the usage of the actual Turkish architecture of housing which was used between 14th and 19th century. I will be illustrating the buildings with some pictures below.
  • I am definetely not saying that the housing should be continiusly changed throughout the game interactively, meaning, if I am playing with an Arabic nation and colonizing Eriksfjord, I could stand a couple of palm trees in the arctic. But let's just fix the beginning at least.
  • And come on, amongst the Turkish at least the Ottomans stay alive and well till the end game 99% of the time. So I doubt this update will go to waste and stay unrecognized.
  • Maybe we could have nomadic tents (this is not my native language lol) for the Steppe Nomads, at least for the Tengrist group. Rather than finely constructed Chinese medieval skyscrapers.

The pictures below are the RENOVATED versions of the buildings mentioned, the original ones that were not touched are badly damaged, but these ones are 100% accurate as well concerning the illustration.

This is PRETTY accurate
Safranbolu-evleri8.jpg

This is an old governmental building
safranbolu-evleri-bilgi.jpg

The one below is the UNESCO heritage site in Safranbolu. Somewhere in Candar nation in the game.
374361.jpg

Another old house with Ottoman gravings in sight
Safranbolu-Evleri-Tarihi-Yollar%C4%B1.jpg

Hope these gave you a general idea about the topic, maybe it is not enough illustrations here but I think devs can handle it with their research pretty well. I don't think this would take too much time to create too.

Thank you for your time!

Attachments

• andulus_safranbolu6.jpg
    andulus_safranbolu6.jpg
    70,4 KB · Views: 47
  • 374361.jpg
    374361.jpg
    71,2 KB · Views: 45
  • Safranbolu-15_.jpg
    Safranbolu-15_.jpg
    156,6 KB · Views: 48
  • safranbolu-evleri-bilgi.jpg
    safranbolu-evleri-bilgi.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 46
  • Safranbolu-evleri8.jpg
    Safranbolu-evleri8.jpg
    111,2 KB · Views: 44
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Did ottomans build like that? god better than some european architecture. Would be cool see it for anatolian countries, maybe include there Byzantium also.
Yep. Byzantium and Ottoman's are pretty important nations in the game. No harm in adding some distinguishable features in my view. Maybe some other Greek nations could have those blue tippidy topped white building style too, the recent one is quite inaccurate. Also if you want to see more of the houses just type Turkish house architecture and they will pop up. I didn't want to spam the thread lol.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yep. Byzantium and Ottoman's are pretty important nations in the game. No harm in adding some distinguishable features in my view. Maybe some other Greek nations could have those blue tippidy topped white building style too, the recent one is quite inaccurate. Also if you want to see more of the houses just type Turkish house architecture and they will pop up. I didn't want to spam the thread lol.
I thought ottoman/turkish architecture its like persian, more eastern, you know. Cool, its really seems european with a little eastern influence.

@BlazeItStars As a back watered European I have to ask, out of curiosity, is there any historical architecture present in Anatolia to justify the standard muslim buildings currently in-game? Of significance that is then, since you can always find one or two exceptions if you look close or long enough

@BlazeItStars As a back watered European I have to ask, out of curiosity, is there any historical architecture present in Anatolia to justify the standard muslim buildings currently in-game? Of significance that is then, since you can always find one or two exceptions if you look close or long enough

As a minority I believe there are some. Particularly nearing the Turkish-Syrian border some small villages may have some similar looking architecture as of in the game. But people who are living there are hardly Turks themselves, mostly Arabs and Kurds.

I believe the reason Turks/Ottomans having the recent building type is somewhat a subconcious decision made by the developers. Since on the later times Ottomans ruled most of the lands where those kind of buildings were present (Arabia North Africa, Mesapotamia). So in a sense if the game started at year 1600 yeah the building type could make sense a bit more, but it is 1400s. and there was a very distinct architecure. But again, not a big deal at all.

Possible. Since Pontus was in Anatolia, same climate means same preferences with building metarials anyways. Kinda proves my point.
no. I can't agree with you. most Anatolian beyliks had asian style buildings made by stone. while Pontus region has houses made by wood and bricks since it had lots of forest

pictures that you posted are from Pontus region as well.
Candar belongs to Pontus

YttuVET.jpg

Yes. This was also my point in the beginning. Rain and forest is the reason the houses constructed the way they are. But we have to keep in mind that where Turkish people mostly lived were the places with forests and rainfall (like any other nation), since people had to do farming and foraging.

Which means the most dense population were in those areas. By the way there are also a vast number of the same kind of buildings in other coastal provinces that Ottomans ruled as, Biga, Edirne, Hüdavendigar. Some of these provinces are encircled as “Greek Influence” in your map. But again, the ones in the so called “Candari region” were the best preserved, that’s the reason I primarly posted those.

Whereas the provinces that you encircled in inner anatolia had small villages because there weren’t many natural resources to support city life compared to the coastal areas. And obviously no one would bother to build fancy housing to a province with 7-8 buildings in total. So that’s why the pictures are from the cities which are relatively closer to the coastline. Because the living grounds nearing the coastlines were huge in comparison to inner and dry provinces.

And big cities brought fancy construction!
———————————————
At the end of the day what I imply on is that we should be representing the architecture where 70%+ of the population lived in Turkish nations and not the basic sub-urban housing type that only a small number of citizens were living. Just for the sake of some more exotic sense in the game, the architecture in metropols should be presented.

Yeah Ottoman architecture is distinct. Its even shown in Balkans:

http://insearchoflostplaces.com/2016/03/berat-albania/
Albania:
88714ce57481d7adce8a3e3a0d11a89f.jpg

2a4ca74994f90e606d5267aa2f831c4c.jpg

c234001aec746910c4eff34c90d08adc.jpg

https://www.dailysabah.com/arts-cul...revitalizing-ottoman-architecture-in-ioannina
Greece:

My home city Antalya's "Old Town" is like gate between history from Rome, Byzantium, Seljuk, Ottomans and modern Turkey:
http://www.ustamdan.com/tr/yazihane/103/Falezlerin-Üzerindeki-Tarih-Antalya-Kaleiçi

Hadrian's Gate (Roman)
hadrian%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%E2%84%A2s-gate-antalya-turkey-viewed-inside-kaleici-looking-out-to-ataturk-caddesi-52598180.jpg

Yivli Minaret (Seljuk)
YivliMin.jpg

Hellenistic Walls and Ottoman style houses
c105b9f558f0510d6b092ce5c8536b5e.jpg

IMG_2814.JPG

Streets:
55e8630897071.jpg

IMG_4164.jpg

IMG_3442.JPG

By the way Ottoman style differed by European modernization too after 1800s:

Palace by Armenian architect Garabet Amira Balyan:

Looks completely different!

Gate of Dolmabahçe Palace:
dolmabah%C3%A7e%2B(28).jpg

Dolmabahce_Palace_2007.jpg

Note:
Dolmabahçe is at İstanbul.
Old town of Antalya is at Teke province in game.

Last edited:
Yeah Ottoman architecture is distinct. Its even shown in Balkans:

http://insearchoflostplaces.com/2016/03/berat-albania/
Albania:
88714ce57481d7adce8a3e3a0d11a89f.jpg

2a4ca74994f90e606d5267aa2f831c4c.jpg

c234001aec746910c4eff34c90d08adc.jpg

https://www.dailysabah.com/arts-cul...revitalizing-ottoman-architecture-in-ioannina
Greece:

My home city Antalya's "Old Town" is like gate between history from Rome, Byzantium, Seljuk, Ottomans and modern Turkey:
http://www.ustamdan.com/tr/yazihane/103/Falezlerin-Üzerindeki-Tarih-Antalya-Kaleiçi

Hadrian's Gate (Roman)
hadrian%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%E2%84%A2s-gate-antalya-turkey-viewed-inside-kaleici-looking-out-to-ataturk-caddesi-52598180.jpg

Yivli Minaret (Seljuk)
YivliMin.jpg

Hellenistic Walls and Ottoman style houses
c105b9f558f0510d6b092ce5c8536b5e.jpg

IMG_2814.JPG

Streets:
55e8630897071.jpg

IMG_4164.jpg

IMG_3442.JPG

By the way Ottoman style differed by European modernization too after 1800s:

Palace by Armenian architect Garabet Amira Balyan:

Looks completely different!

Gate of Dolmabahçe Palace:
dolmabah%C3%A7e%2B(28).jpg

Dolmabahce_Palace_2007.jpg

Note:
Dolmabahçe is at İstanbul.
Old town of Antalya is at Teke province in game.
I guess i have to visit Turkey, seems really cool

here example of typical turkish houses in istanbul:

dscf2481.jpg

no. I can't agree with you. most Anatolian beyliks had asian style buildings made by stone. while Pontus region has houses made by wood and bricks since it had lots of forest

pictures that you posted are from Pontus region as well.
Candar belongs to Pontus

YttuVET.jpg

Turks built stone houses first but since Anatolia including Istanbul is in important earthquake places in the world, constant earthquakes throughout the history, houses always got collapsed. Since you can't prevent earthquake and building houses from stone is expensive, people tended towards wood houses because they were cheap to rebuilt. but then great fires hit Istanbul and lots of neighborhoods got lost.

In game every tech group has unique building pictures except Anatolian tech. Building pictures are not religion related.

Some of it kind of reminds me of the Bauhaus designs.

Honestly it seems that Turkish architecture is most similar to southern European architecture as a whole, and they could just create new graphics to represent countries with this style of architecture.
As a side note, it seems that game developers tend to follow the "Middle Eastern" stereotype whenever representing culture and architecture in the wider Middle East region. There's Paradox's games where this is the case, and the Total War series also comes to mind where Persians, Arabs, Armenians, paleo-Georgians, Ethiopians, and Berbers all have the exact same stereotypical "Eastern" architecture