• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bad news for France, I guess... Unless they lower the maluses from same-group cultures.

Still, a great Dev Diary! Especially the trade good screen. The culture group thing will be useful when my Polish-Lithuanian Empire controls all of Bohemia.
Well a few of frances cultures will be accepted becasuse of their development right?

Reactions:
Well a few of frances cultures will be accepted becasuse of their development right?
Yes. Occitan is over 20% at start so it would be accepted for sure. Aquitanian and Gascon are over 10% at start, so I guess they will be accepted too (at least England's 11% cultures are).

I.e. only after France expands will they be disadvantaged. Even after they take their cores from England only around ~10% of their development would be in non-accepted same group provinces (Norman).

To be honest, I have seen France go Empire so often (unless it breaks and is gobbled up by England, Burgundy and Provence) that it won't have many problems with cultures.

Can no one say whether pre-patch games will still be playable? Will Ironman be intact if I revert to the old version?
It's never recommended to travel with a save back and forth between patch levels.

As for your answer, you'll get it with the patch notes next week.
If you are worried then set your game not to update just in case [I don't think there were changes to basic stuff other than regions and ironman].

Reactions:
When looking at AI countries in Diplomacy tab, will we still know if this country is a cultural union or not via a tooltip from hovering over their culture there? Wasn't sure if this will change now with cultural union being decoupled from tags.
The answer is most likely yes. There is no reason why decoupling it from tags would cause that tooltip to change.

But we know for sure you'll be able to see CUs when mousing over their government in the diplomacy view.

Reactions:
I've anotherr question, to gain the CU status you need 1000 development or to be an empire, but what happens if you suddenly go under that threshold? I can imagine that since on CS you gain empire and it's tied to that, you'll not lose the cultural union (an example that comes into my mind is Byz, very low development but right now should start as a CU in common sense at least since it's an Empire), but will you retain the Cultural Union if, on vanilla, you go under 1000 development, after having reached it to gain that status, and are not an empire?

Also, just out of curiosity, since on CS it depends on the Government Rank, countries that start as empires in Common Sense will already be cultural unions, while if you don't have CS they'll need to achieve 1000 development? I'm speaking about the very few empires that are available at the beginning of the game

Sorry if these questions have already been answered, i've searched on the topic and i didn't find anything related to it.

It's never recommended to travel with a save back and forth between patch levels.

As for your answer, you'll get it with the patch notes next week.
If you are worried then set your game not to update just in case [I don't think there were changes to basic stuff other than regions and ironman].

Well, I meant setting Steam to not update automatically, and when the patch is released, going to the Beta tab in the game's properties to set it to the pre-patch version (i.e. what we have right now). But I guess there's not much chance I can keep achievements enabled this way. Anyone know if achievs work on old versions?

Well, I meant setting Steam to not update automatically, and when the patch is released, going to the Beta tab in the game's properties to set it to the pre-patch version (i.e. what we have right now). But I guess there's not much chance I can keep achievements enabled this way. Anyone know if achievs work on old versions?
Yes, they do.

Just make sure the achievements you want to get are enabled for that patch level.
Use the wiki to check that: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Achievements

EDIT: Just to clarify, ironman works from 1.6 and up [lower levels won't get you achievements].

Last edited:
Reactions:
Yes areas and regions are also being used.
For the RNW to work properly the trade goods cannot rely entirely on such weights though :) Some weights are also exclusive to the random new world or the historical americas.

There are also some new things. A colonizing Chinese state may for instance end up with tea provinces if the climate/terrain is right :)
If I own a lot of coffee and/or tea provinces in the east. Would it then also be possible for me to start plantations in the west?

Yeah, there used to be a sticky about this. I wonder why its gone.
They probably thought it was redundant. After all, it says so near the patch level.

EDIT: Just realized you probably meant the thread explaining how to change to the desired patch level. That is strange.
It will probably be back in December. They seem to bring it back after new patches now.

True, in the medieval era, but EU IV takes place between the medieval era and into the beginning of Imperialism. Empire has various meanings, but I seriously consider the EU IV empire's to be a "swathes of land" empire as opposed to a feudal Emperor. That lies in CKII.

Look at how becoming emperor rank changes your title to "Emperor" (for monarchies) and how it's specifically used for nations that were considered to be of that rank, like Byzantium or Ethiopia. The progression is duchy->kingdom->empire. It's clearly meant to be the "medieval" idea, which persisted all the way until the end of the EU4 period.

For the RNW to work properly the trade goods cannot rely entirely on such weights though :) Some weights are also exclusive to the random new world or the historical americas.

There are also some new things. A colonizing Chinese state may for instance end up with tea provinces if the climate/terrain is right :)

Finally, my Japanese colonial empires can do something other than invent coffee when they don't need it!

...but I'm kind of worried about the cultural union thing, the "1000 development" thing sounds like an afterthought following an assumption that everyone has/wants CS...

Reactions:
Nothing can be clear without justification.
And not everything that is justified is clear.

With this attitude we could also get rid of Bharat and Hindustan and replace them with India. /Why would religion determine what country you form?/ Of course the religion is relevant, I don't know what are you trying to bring about anymore.
It doesn't matter that Hindu nations form Bharat and Muslim nations for Hindustan in this discussion. That has nothing to do with the fact that both are cultural unions of Hindustani culture, and not any of the other culture groups in India that can form them. Not Easern Aryan, or Western Aryan, or Dravidian, or Central Indic. So yes, you could get rid of Bharat and Hindustan and replace them with India in this discussion. Because in this discussion, religion is irrelevant.

And while you may justify those 2 tags being a union of Hindustani culture group, it is not clear why they would be a union of that culture group and not any of the groups that form it. (See? Not everything that is justified is clear).

Reactions:
And not everything that is justified is clear.

It doesn't matter that Hindu nations form Bharat and Muslim nations for Hindustan in this discussion. That has nothing to do with the fact that both are cultural unions of Hindustani culture, and not any of the other culture groups in India that can form them. Not Easern Aryan, or Western Aryan, or Dravidian, or Central Indic. So yes, you could get rid of Bharat and Hindustan and replace them with India in this discussion. Because in this discussion, religion is irrelevant.

And while you may justify those 2 tags being a union of Hindustani culture group, it is not clear why they would be a union of that culture group and not any of the groups that form it. (See? Not everything that is justified is clear).
I was under the impression those tags were a union of the culture group you formed them with? At least supposedly it works like that.

Reactions:

Are we going to have more insight on that in another Dev Diary? I would love to know more about this.