• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ols

Liberal Nihilist
104 Badges
Jun 12, 2012
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • For the Motherland
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
A Dark Ages Total Conversion mod for CKII (Old Gods or Holy Fury DLC required to play most characters).
A continuation of "The Winter King" by Luca0312 and based on "The Warlord Chronicles" saga by Bernard Cornwell (The Winter King, The Enemy of God, Excalibur).

JBlpQTP.png

Download Link: Version 1.11.0 - The Winter King

- Compatible with CK2 patch 3.3.2 -
[4chan Tripcode: !!IU+3RjeYoJI]

Checksum: MNYV

IMPORTANT NOTES:

The mod MUST be placed in your documents folder (<your user documents>\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod), and NOT in the game main folder. Also make sure you delete any older versions of the mod (including "Britannia.mod") and the settings folder (usually it is <your user documents>\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\Britannia) before installing the latest release.

Isinfier's portraits have been added as an additional module. DO NOT enable the The Winter King - Portraits submod unless you have all of the required portrait packs (Celtic, Norse, Mongol, and Early Western Portraits), as otherwise you will face graphical issues.

MAIN FEATURES:

- A completely new map covering Britain, Ireland and part of modern-day France.
- A campaign scenario starting in 479 AD, and revolving around two major struggles: the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Britain, and the religious conflict between the ancient british Gods and the "new" catholic faith. The campaign end date is set to 867 AD.
- Custom Events and Storylines. There are hundreds of new or modified events, including a search for the legendary thirteen Treasures of Britain (choose the ambition "Restore the Old Gods"), a basic druid selection and education system, events regarding Anglo-Saxon and Frankish invasions, religious conversions, trading routes with the Mediterranean sea, seasonal events, and much more.
- A number of new traits, modifiers, decisions and ambitions/objectives.
- A dynamic 'Music Module'
- A dynamic 'de jure' map system that allows multiple 'de jure' map configurations.
- Custom buildings, appropriate for post-roman Britain. Several of them are culture-based or terrain-based. Many unique historical buildings (the baths of Aquae Sulis, the tidal bay of Mont Saint Michel, etc.). All buildings have a larger array of effects compared to vanilla. Barracks, stables and military buildings, for example, will reduce your tax income, increase risk of disease, and so on. There are custom building "sets" for specific purposes: justice buildings to reduce revolt risk, health buildings to prevent diseases, smiths and forges to improve your units effectiveness, etc.
- Culture-based de jure titles and kingdoms. In 479 AD most of Britain is divided among British, Romano-British and Cumbrian kingdoms. However, with the Anglo-Saxon invasions new de jure (non titular) kingdoms and jarldoms will slowly emerge: Mercia, Northumbria, Lindsey, Bernicia, Deira, and so on. Each title has different requirements and some of them may never appear, but in the long run at least some of these new Anglo-Saxon realms will pop up and grow, aggregate, etc.
- New military unit types (there were no knights or pikemen in 5th century) and combat tactics.
- Custom graphics, artwork, icons, portraits, etc.

FAQ:

How does the de jure change system work?
The Anglo-Saxon duchies will appear de jure once they are formed, under their respective kingdoms. Frankish titles will appear after either the duchy or the kingdom above it has been formed. Briton titles will reappear as the formable Anglo-Saxon duchies are completely reconquered, and they can recreate their own titles on Anglia and Cantia by creating Icenia and Cantuaria, respectively. Romans have a more complex system; formable Frankish duchies will be removed once they are removed, but duchies on the starting Frankish territory will form de jure as they are created, similarly to the Anglo-Saxon model. Broceliande, Benoic, the Visigoths, and the Burgundians are re-integrated once they have been completely reconquered, and Britannia will be re-integrated after you take the Ius Imperii Decision, available after forming the Gallic Empire and conquering most of the important cities of Britannia.

I've just reloaded a save game and all the de jure changes have reverted. What do I do?
Because of the way the game engine currently works, we can't save county de jure changes in the savegames. To get around this, there are hidden events that trigger after a day to reset the de jure setup to what it should be.

How do I form Britannia?
As the adult (over 20), male king of one of the Briton, Romano-British, or Cumbric kingdoms, you will see the decision to claim the High King of Britannia. Once you have fulfilled all the requirements and taken that decision, each of the other kings will be asked if they will support your claim but remain independent, support your claim and swear fealty to you, or dispute your claim. If your claim is disputed, you will have the choice to back down, which means that you will be unable to claim the High Kingship for the next 5 years; possibly bribe him, which will make him a full supporter; or declare war. If you win he will be forced to accept your claim and you will be able to claim the High Kingship again, but if you white peace or lose your character will never again be able to claim the High Kingship. Once all the other kings have supported you, you will gain the High Kingship, and any king that supported you fully or was beaten in battle will become your vassal.

How do I form Aenglaland?
The system is much the same as that of Britannia, but with the additional limitation that there must be at least 3 independent Anglo-Saxon kings ruling kingdoms of the Heptarchy.

Is this compatible with any other mods?
Unless they have explicitly said so and/or made a special compatibility patch, then most likely no.

What DLCs is this mod compatible with?
All DLCs are compatible with this mod, though some (e.g. Sword of Islam, Sunset Invasion, etc.) do not (currently) have any ingame effects. Just leave all your DLCs enabled.

Does this mod require any DLCs?
No, although The Old Gods is highly recommended due to the large amount of pagans at start. Celtic Portraits, Norse Portraits and Early Western Portraits are also suggested in order to cause characters to appear as we intended them to look.

I've noticed a bug, or something doesn't seem right. What do I do?
Report the bug in the thread. Make sure to report everything that seems buggy, no matter how small or minor; it might be 5-minute fix, but it'll never get fixed if we don't know about it! If it happens in a certain situation, be sure to keep a save; we'll often ask for one, since it makes reproducing the bug much faster and easier.

The mod always crashes right before it finishes loading, no matter how many times I install and re-install it. What do I do?
This mod uses a large, detailed physical/terrain map, which can be too much for weaker computers to handle. Try disabling trees and other terrain features in settings.txt to reduce the load, but otherwise your computer may simply not be powerful enough to run the mod. We will be looking at making the map easier to render in the future.

INCLUDED MODS:
'Western Europe 479-867 AD - The Winter King' includes adapted resources and pillaging/sacking events from apg's Magnate Lords mod, as well as some events from cybrxkhan's VIET, the New Duel Engine from Galle and Ogaburan, EOOOQE's New Borders, and several others.

CONTRIBUTORS:
Luca0312 (Original creator and developer) Ols, heroindog, DC123456789, Frednutts, BlackEagle78, VandrosRW, JasperClay, tsf4, GrandiSlayer, Cybrxkhan, apg, Keanon, Wappenwiki.org, Solo_Adhemar, Arko, Bujyland, Ciccillo Rre, richvh, Astanna, Waylit, EOOQE, the development teams of A Game of Thrones and Elder Kings, the Ancient Religions Reborn Team, the WTWSMS team, bontanel, the CK2+ Team, mjohnson85 and many others... thank you guys! Let me know if you're not listed but have made a contribution to the mod - I don't tend to update this list unless asked to.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Last edited:
Reactions:
so, is it "The Winter King" still, or "The Warlord Chronicles" now?
either way, the initials (assuming the latin hard C) are almost the same anyway :p

Stuck as a continuation of Britannia 479 AD - The Winter King. Congratulations :)

Thanks for doing this. I appreciate getting the sticky.

so, is it "The Winter King" still, or "The Warlord Chronicles" now?
either way, the initials (assuming the latin hard C) are almost the same anyway :p

I decided to change the title to "Western Europe 479-867 AD - The Warlord Chronicles" in an attempt to increase the audience. The first part very clearly says what the mod is for people who want a historically based mod. The second part clearly advertises it as relating to ALL of Bernard Cornwell's books. This considered, the mod does not cease to be called "The Winter King" for anyone who wishes to call it that. Likewise, its focus on Britannia is not lost. Hopefully the cosmetic change wont change the enjoyment for anyone.

The original initials were BTWK (Britannia The Winter King), I guess they're best written now as TWC (The Warlord Chronicles) but you can call it what you like. I doubt all the instances "The Winter King" is used will be purged anytime soon so we're somewhat in a limbo. If it gets too confusing I'll revert to the title "Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King".

KEEP THE LIGHT OF SOL INVICTUS NEVER ENDI-

...wait, sorry, wrong mod.

...Hail Artos?

Hail Isis. Maybe Mithras too.

Also Korbah, would you be able to change "The Warlord Chronicles" to "The Winter King" as I've written it in the OP? Might make things slightly less confusing.

Last edited:
seeing only "TW" are the common letters, I guess calling it the "TW" mod works find?
that, or the "Winter-Warlord" mod mod to get the best of both worlds hahahaha
(or "The Winter Warlord-King Chronicles" if you really want both world :p )

still, that aside, I believe this mod is most known by the name "The Winter King" really. Besides, I mean, there's that "Game of Thrones" mod, named after the first book in the Song of Ice and Fire saga, so I guess it's best to keep the TWK name for familiarity/continuity :p (though the reason for using WE479 is justified anyway :3 )

seeing only "TW" are the common letters, I guess calling it the "TW" mod works find?
that, or the "Winter-Warlord" mod mod to get the best of both worlds hahahaha
(or "The Winter Warlord-King Chronicles" if you really want both world :p )

still, that aside, I believe this mod is most known by the name "The Winter King" really. Besides, I mean, there's that "Game of Thrones" mod, named after the first book in the Song of Ice and Fire saga, so I guess it's best to keep the TWK name for familiarity/continuity :p (though the reason for using WE479 is justified anyway :3 )

I think you're right. Hopefully Korbah can change it.

And it's changed. Thank you for that. I'll keep the branding consistent now.

Subscribed to the new thread of this great mod! I'm happy to see that this carried on and wish you good luck with your future map expansion.

EDIT: DC123456789 is mentioned twice in the credits. He must really have contributed a lot to the mod! ;)

Last edited:
Now that we have this, can someone explain to me how I upload things to the steam workshop? Might as well have it there, though I am concerned by the prospect of having to split the mod into two halves.

New Provinces!

bbFKkjv.jpgsh6F2Zn.jpg

Its going to be save breaking so I want to make sure theres enough new ones to make them more interesting to play. Whats everyones else's ideas in relation to provinces?

Its going to be save breaking so I want to make sure theres enough new ones to make them more interesting to play. Whats everyones else's ideas in relation to provinces?

Are you the one who is going to do the "French" map expansion?

Reporting a bug: Latest mod version, non-beta CK2 version: Clicked Mercenary tab, CTD.

I'll try and replicate this. In the meantime could you tell me which character you were, and where you were landed?

It is impossible to choose a faction non-Christian religion. DLC The Old Gods activated. Is this normal?

This isn't normal. Old Gods should be required for "Polytheist" religions because we want to use DLC exclusive content, but not for Romans (which use ad-hoc content) and Christians. Could you confirm Benoic (Roman) is impossible to play as too?

View attachment 109642View attachment 109643

I'm fairly clueless on how Eire and Alba should work, but that looks good so far.

Calendar notes are being weird. It's possible to request them, but when event appears, only option is to dismiss them again.

View attachment 109644

I'd have a guess that the global flag that stops them appearing is messed up. I'll look into this too.

Also, I had a look at this and considered whether it would be worth having the first start date in 410.

800px-End.of.Roman.rule.in.Britain.383.410.jpg

What would people think about the map expansion coupled with a running time for 410-867 as a final end goal for the mod? Plus a final start date at the Heptarchy of Anglo-Saxon rule. It'd be a lot of work, but I think we could call the mod "complete" if we did that. One of the big exciting characters in this period will be Coel Hen, who gives his name to the High Kingdom of Hen Ogledd. Cumbrians will be very formidable indeed. We could also have the Anglo Saxons just landing or having not yet landed, and if we added Saxony itself we could have them preparing to leave from there. This map also shows to me the importance of allowing Picts and Gaels to naval raid.

Last edited: