• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If they get Empire, then they get CU.
This is the case with CS. What about without CS?

And what is the difference between CS and non-CS when it comes to forming Germany, taking the Constantinople decision as Ottomans or starting as Byzantium?
There isn't one. The question is whether Empire rank does give CU without CS. The DD says you get CU by having 1000 development without CS. The DD doesn't say you get CU by having Empire rank without CS. And as I and others have pointed out, there are ways to get Empire rank without having 1000 development.

I was mixed on the idea of empires automatically becoming unions, particularly since I feel as though it diminishes the importance of existing unions, especially formable ones, but the permanent claims you get definitely make up for it IMO.

I look forward to playing a good Manchu game or something when Cossacks comes out :)

IMO tag-specific culture unions are crap.

I'd say that a better way to handle it would've been to give a culture union decision to empires/nations with >1000 dev and give it some additional requirements. Make it something to actively work toward, requiring idea group investments etc, rather than a byproduct of expansion.

Reactions: