• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, theoretically, there may be multiple culture unions for the same culture group?
I find that kind of weird. I always thought of it as a realm that people feel natural belonging to. Hard to imagine to have two of those existing. E.g. if Germany and Austria (as post-HRE empire) exist, both would be cultural unions for German people, wouldn't they? But no German (IRL) back then would have proclaimed Austria to be the natural ruler of all German people. The reverse was true often enough. I can't think of any other examples at the moment, as Germans were the only major culture group still split into multiple states so late in history.

Or is it first come first serve? I think I might actually prefer that. Or some other mechanism. Like if two culture unions exist for the same group, the status shifts to the one nation with the most provinces of the respective culture group (percentage-wise).

Reactions:
HRE and Germany, Bharat and Hindustan.
IIRC Bharat and Hindustan can be CUs of different cultures depending on location/culture of former, so even if both can exist, they would not be CUs of the same group (under current system).

So, theoretically, there may be multiple culture unions for the same culture group?
I find that kind of weird. I always thought of it as a realm that people feel natural belonging to. Hard to imagine to have two of those existing. E.g. if Germany and Austria (as post-HRE empire) exist, both would be cultural unions for German people, wouldn't they? But no German (IRL) back then would have proclaimed Austria to be the natural ruler of all German people. The reverse was true often enough. I can't think of any other examples at the moment, as Germans were the only major culture group still split into multiple states so late in history.

Or is it first come first serve? I think I might actually prefer that. Or some other mechanism. Like if two culture unions exist for the same group, the status shifts to the one nation with the most provinces of the respective culture group (percentage-wise).

While it would be less of a union, of course, a cultural union would represent such cases well. The Austrian empire would treat Germans better than other cultures (unless large enough to be accepted), since they rule over such a large area. Germans are similar to Austrians. Even if they were rivals, they would not mistreat the other cultures in the group themselves, rather the national identity of the other nation, and separatists. If cultural unions represent the game world well, I don't think it would make sense to include another mechanic to represent the case of Austria.

Reactions:
IIRC Bharat and Hindustan can be CUs of different cultures depending on location/culture of former, so even if both can exist, they would not be CUs of the same group (under current system).
You're remembering wrong. Bharat and Hindustan are both unions of Hindustani, regardless of who forms it.

While it would be less of a union, of course, a cultural union would represent such cases well. The Austrian empire would treat Germans better than other cultures (unless large enough to be accepted), since they rule over such a large area. Germans are similar to Austrians. Even if they were rivals, they would not mistreat the other cultures in the group themselves, rather the national identity of the other nation, and separatists. If cultural unions represent the game world well, I don't think it would make sense to include another mechanic to represent the case of Austria.
That does make sense, thanks. :)

So to be clear, do players without Common Sense also get cultural unions from Empire rank, or do they actually have to have 1000 development, regardless of rank? Not that this applies to me, but the latter would be an odd situation.

So to be clear, do players without Common Sense also get cultural unions from Empire rank, or do they actually have to have 1000 development, regardless of rank? Not that this applies to me, but the latter would be an odd situation.
It's the latter, I think. Empire rank, or reach the point where you could get the empire rank if you had the expansion.

I thought the diary was clear enough... Empire rank if you have CS. 1000 development if you didn't.

I thought the diary was clear enough... Empire rank if you have CS. 1000 development if you didn't.
Yes, that is what it says, but what I'm saying is I suspect it may be an oversight. After all, it's not like Empire rank doesn't exist without CS, even if the ways of obtaining it are more limited. If Empire rank didn't give cultural union, the availability of the mechanic would be significantly restricted for non-CS players, unnecessarily so. There are Empire rank countries in 1444 and others which can get the rank through a decision more or less soon after. Yet does even Ming have 1000 development in 1444?

Right, so there'd be a grand total of one cultural union in 1444. Regardless, I don't really see a reason to not have Empire rank grant CU. Assuming the purpose of the rework CUs are getting isn't to significantly reduce the number of CUs a campaign is likely to see, the change seems to have unintended and questionable consequences for players without CS.

Right, so there'd be a grand total of one cultural union in 1444. Regardless, I don't really see a reason to not have Empire rank grant CU. Assuming the purpose of the rework CUs are getting isn't to significantly reduce the number of CUs a campaign is likely to see, the change seems to have unintended and questionable consequences for players without CS.
How? Do players without CS have a harder time getting 1000 development?

They might have, considering they don't get access to development, but the point is that many countries either start with or gain through a decision their Empire rank.
And they outright said that without CS you will gain CU when you reach the threshold where CS owners would gain Empire rank - at 1000 development. Not sure if you are really that uninformed or trolling.

And they outright said that without CS you will gain CU when you reach the threshold where CS owners would gain Empire rank - at 1000 development. Not sure if you are really that uninformed or trolling.
The one that seems to be trolling is you.

He's talking about nations like Byzantium, which start the game with Empire rank and less than 1000 development. Or formables like Mughals, Germany, etc that give Empire rank and can be achieved before getting 1000 development. Or ones like the Ottomans, that gain Empire rank just by taking Constantinople and well before 1000 development.

The one that seems to be trolling is you.

He's talking about nations like Byzantium, which start the game with Empire rank and less than 1000 development. Or formables like Mughals, Germany, etc that give Empire rank and can be achieved before getting 1000 development. Or ones like the Ottomans, that gain Empire rank just by taking Constantinople and well before 1000 development.
If they get Empire, then they get CU. What is exactly wrong with that? And what is the difference between CS and non-CS when it comes to forming Germany, taking the Constantinople decision as Ottomans or starting as Byzantium? He was saying that the change will do something to/for players without CS. I answered that there was no real difference. Is there?