• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Also is it possible for RNW to make large continents? All the screenshots I've seen don't have anything larger than a medium to large island, often pretty snake-y.
There are many kinds of tiles to RNW including big continents and Pangaea-type mega-continent.

Wiz posted the WiP of the feature [and other previews] on his twitter account: https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward

CQKG2tCUkAAGvLF.jpg

CQip_VdWoAEhEL5.jpg

Reactions:
Al-Andalus is Arabic name for Iberian peninsula. This tag being a cultural union is fully justified.
Forming Ruthenia is supposed to be a revival of Kievan Rus, that used to hold territories from Peremyshl to Novgorod and was a progenitor of Russia - again, being a cultural union is as justified as Russia being one.
Justification is irrelevant. It's all about clarity. Please continue to ignore that part of my posts.
You've got the first one right.
Religion determines wether you're able to form Hindustan(muslim) or Bharat(dharmic).
Yes, and in this discussion religion is irrelevant.

Reactions:
@Wiz
Can development of subjects be counted in someway towards government rank of the Overlord? Maybe like half development of all loyal vassals is contributed towards dev count? That way we can actually have Spanish/British/Vassal swarm Empires? That way countries that control a lot of the world can still be empires without having blobbed uncontrollably.

It would fit with history a bit better and make more sense for cultural unions. IE Spain is formed, Aragonese are still relatively new to the union and are still uncomfortable about being under Castilian rule, but by the time the "Spanish Empire" exists with it controlling most of the new world, It becomes a cultural union and the people view it in a more nationalist sense?

Seems a bit silly to own most the new world and still only qualify as a kingdom since you didn't develop or blob.

To be honest it doesn't really make sense for any of the colonial nations to become empires in the first place. A lot of people seem to get confused between empire in terms of controlling large swathes of territory and the more medieval idea of the empire in terms of the "rank", being higher than kings and usually claiming some form of succession from the Romans for Christians, the latter of which the empire rank in game really refers to.

I just don't get what they'd get out of it.
Ruin the current campaign and gameplay experience for someone/everyone else. Duh.

And that's not realistic how? A nation that feel like it's doomed might well merge into a powerful neighbour to get revenge on the one they lost against.
Oh yeah sure, that's exactly how it works in real life. Austria gets devastated by Prussia?
LET'S GIVE ALL OUR MONIES TO BBB AND GIVE ALL OUR LANDS TO RUSSIA. Historical RP right there.

So it's purely about making the multiplayer game fair?...
Clearly you've never seen mechanics cheesing, ill-mannered grieving, or irrationally concentrated spite in competitive online games.

In a game with uneven starts?
You're completely right. Players can't choose nations of relative strengths/sizes at all. It's always going to be BBB playing with a bunch of OPMs.

I've never played multiplayer.
And it shows.

Reactions:
Hahahaha, indeed they're not :). Even with quite a bit of effort, we're not terribly good at it. Out of curiousity, did you come by this view before or after you had to deal with all us crazy fans? ;).
I was being facetious. If Byzantium gets an empire-level government, there's no reason to deny that to i.e. Arabia due to development.

To be honest it doesn't really make sense for any of the colonial nations to become empires in the first place. A lot of people seem to get confused between empire in terms of controlling large swathes of territory and the more medieval idea of the empire in terms of the "rank", being higher than kings and usually claiming some form of succession from the Romans for Christians, the latter of which the empire rank in game really refers to.

Napoleon would like to disagree.
Besides, it's just a term, and the definition can change. Originally Prince meant first among equals, exactly the same as president, but that changed didn't it?

Reactions:
I was being facetious. If Byzantium gets an empire-level government, there's no reason to deny that to i.e. Arabia due to development.

Sorry, I wasn't having a go at you, just a more general comment on humans and rationality.

Napoleon would like to disagree.
Besides, it's just a term, and the definition can change. Originally Prince meant first among equals, exactly the same as president, but that changed didn't it?

Napoleon had himself crowned by the Pope (who claimed to have authority over the legitimacy of any successor to the Roman Empire: see HRE) and very much intended his imperial rank to be compared to that of Charlemagne or the Romans.

Reactions:
Napoleon had himself crowned by the Pope (who claimed to have authority over the legitimacy of any successor to the Roman Empire: see HRE) and very much intended his imperial rank to be compared to that of Charlemagne or the Romans.

A rubber stamp ceremony. A show that seemingly improves the perceived power of both parties in the public eye.

The Romans and Napoleon used Emperor to distance themselves from King because of public sentiment.

If anything it makes more sense for a CN to call themselves an Empire after breaking up with the former royalties. Because they don't want to be associated with kings or royalty.

Reactions:
It might be a pain in the ass, but what if Serbia conquers Bosnia and half of the HRE. They get enough DPs to become an empire and get to be the CU. It doesn't make much sense if they say that, while the Ottos control all of Bulgaria, Romania etc. Maybe make it to where they have to own specific territories, or a percentage of the territories to get the CU?

Also, on a personal note, I hope that this addition doesn't mean no more new formable nations. : (
Can't wait til Dec. 1! Good stuff in this xpac, keep em comin' Wizzington.

Reactions:
True, in the medieval era, but EU IV takes place between the medieval era and into the beginning of Imperialism. Empire has various meanings, but I seriously consider the EU IV empire's to be a "swathes of land" empire as opposed to a feudal Emperor. That lies in CKII.

But there will still be limitations regarding region/area, right?
For example, a Central-America-like region will not get Wine/Tea like a La Plata-like region, or Tropical Wood like a Brazil-like region?

Yes areas and regions are also being used.
For the RNW to work properly the trade goods cannot rely entirely on such weights though :) Some weights are also exclusive to the random new world or the historical americas.

There are also some new things. A colonizing Chinese state may for instance end up with tea provinces if the climate/terrain is right :)

Reactions:
Why is being a cultural union based on empire rank/development count, and not controlling a certain percentage of the provinces belonging to that culture group?

Bad news for France, I guess... Unless they lower the maluses from same-group cultures.

Still, a great Dev Diary! Especially the trade good screen. The culture group thing will be useful when my Polish-Lithuanian Empire controls all of Bohemia.

When looking at AI countries in Diplomacy tab, will we still know if this country is a cultural union or not via a tooltip from hovering over their culture there? Wasn't sure if this will change now with cultural union being decoupled from tags.