• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How to make Belgium survive against Germany: abandon Belgium. Not what I expected, but it's an interesting strategy.
Those Belgians - can't trust them!
Order and method, and the world's most famous fictional Belgian might have said.

A good military plan. Kind of a bum deal for the Belgian civilians, though.

Hmmm, that was unexpected. And you wasn't forced to surrender?

How to make Belgium survive against Germany: abandon Belgium. Not what I expected, but it's an interesting strategy.
Those Belgians - can't trust them!
Order and method, and the world's most famous fictional Belgian might have said.
I know, I could've built lvl10 fortifications in all border provinces and try to survive, but that would make Belgium kind of a second Switzerland, totally surrounded and unable to do something. And I would be surprised if I would be able to last longer than 2 years. Lvl10 fortifications are very good, but Germany still has better quality armies.

A good military plan. Kind of a bum deal for the Belgian civilians, though.
It was terrible to leave the homeland undefended, but in the end it was unpreventable. Sacrifices have to be made if Belgium wants to play an active role in defeating the Axis.

Hmmm, that was unexpected. And you wasn't forced to surrender?
I officially 'capitulated' after Namur fell and my number of victory points dropped under my national unity. Normally if you're like Switzerland that would mean game-over, but colonial nations get 'exiled' to their colonies, which is Congo in this case. Of course your options are limited, because of factories, being jungle with high attrition etc. but I want to show and prove that it is possible. If you manage and organise your strategy well, you CAN and WILL succeed :).

heh, but you capitulated. Can you even fight Germany still, even if you retake your land?

Or does capitulation only remove ontaining anything out of the war?

Not so familiar with that part of HOI4 mechanics.

heh, but you capitulated. Can you even fight Germany still, even if you retake your land?

Or does capitulation only remove ontaining anything out of the war?

Not so familiar with that part of HOI4 mechanics.
Weirdly enough, yes I can. Capitulation happens if you own less victory points than your national unity, meaning that you 'capitulate' which is actually just removing all your troops from your homeland. How this 'homeland' is calculated is a mystery, but it seems that all your troops who are overseas/on another continent/on the sea itself don't get removed. That's the reason why I sent my forces to the Congo to be sure I wouldn't lose them when the Germans occupied the country.

I think they did this to enable the countries who are at war and don't have any colonies (like Denmark, Norway, etc.) to actually fight again when their territory is reoccupied by their allies. If they were kicked out of the war when capitulating they would have to join the Allies again and also accept the CTA again, which would create quite a fuss I guess. That's my assumption though, maybe I'll make a thread about it in the general forum as this is quite interesting.

So despite its name, if you have colonies or overseas territory, you're still in the war and can, if you transported your divisions over there, still participate in the war.

So despite its name, if you have colonies or overseas territory, you're still in the war and can, if you transported your divisions over there, still participate in the war.

heh, makes for good aar stuff then with Belgium.

heh, makes for good aar stuff then with Belgium.
Indeed, I also enjoyed the run a lot more by trying to survive in the Congo rather then try to simply dig myself in. My position was also still in danger, if the Axis would overrun Africa I would be in a very serious trapped position.

But I have to say that you're still playing with a handicap so to say: you have almost no factories, for Belgium there is a lot of Jungle which gives a lot of attrition when you move your divisions (weird thing to note is moving: if you stand in a province for four years you won't encounter any attrition at all), and related to this: manpower. Manpower is enormously important when you get exiled to a colony. As it is a colony and stays so despite having capitulated, you only get like 0,02% or 0,2% of all available manpower, which is VERY little. But as said, it is not impossible to solve these issues.

Dear readers, I'm sad to announce that there will be no new chapters until February. The exams are coming in January and of course this will be my top priority in the coming month. You'll have to wait a little bit to discover how Belgium will manage itself in the vast jungles of the Congo.

Thanks in advance for having the patience to wait this long :).

Reactions:
Good fortunate in those exams. Will be waiting for Begium to rise from the spectre of defeat.

Dear readers, I'm sad to announce that there will be no new chapters until February. The exams are coming in January and of course this will be my top priority in the coming month. You'll have to wait a little bit to discover how Belgium will manage itself in the vast jungles of the Congo.

Thanks in advance for having the patience to wait this long :).

I'm sure the wait will be worth it. Good luck with your exams.

Reactions:
Screw the exams, playing games and tell tales are so much more important.:D

/s

Good luck with the exams, and know we'll be waiting.:)

(pitchforks in hand)

Good luck with your exams. We'll be here when you return.

I like this AAR, despite not having HoI4, or not playing any other HoI games... good luck with your exams!
Thanks, it's nice to see a new face :). I've got that too with Stellaris, very good scenery for lots of AARs, I read the beginning of the 'New Hauteville Space Empire' AAR and I liked it a lot. But most of the times I don't even have the time to read AARs of other games, there are so many to follow in the EU4 AAR section already.