• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow - a classic and the very first AAR I ever read! And still one of the best too! :D

First and foremost, it would be because it made many who reside here now buy the original game in the first place. And to add to that, it really was part of the original crew that took the AAR to another level. Rather than just dry recitations on who did what and when, Ariel realy gave his characters some meat and carried it through. Back then, not too many were writing in the narrative style and it opened up a whole new possibility to many of us. And finally, because of the unique way in which he tackled taking back France. I don't want to ruin it, but let's just say he found a brilliant approach. :D

Take a look see, tombom. I doubt you will be disappointed. It's long - but extremely worth it.

A truly great piece of work, from what I can tell!

I wish I could see screenies. I see none, though I witnessed a reference to one as I poked around.

And Stroph1 as a Major???! Lots of other names of old, too! I did not realize Lord E was an old-timer! (sorry, Lord E!) :rolleyes:

Rensslaer

excellent writing
I agree, perhaps more screenies?

Battle bunny said:
Man, this AAR is LONG dead.
Long dead in the writing, perhaps, but never in the memory of those of us that read it when Ariel was working on it. This AAR is a true classic of AARland and one of the most impotant works that personally spurred me on to attempting AAR writing myself. I cannot give it enough credit. I only wish Ariel were around the forums today to see that his work is still being read and enjoyed! Great to see it rise to the top once again! :D

I still nominate it as the best ever:
- Not too much embarrassing role-playing crud - there was some, but it got hived off into another thread, what stayed in this thread was OK
- Nice style
- Clear explanation of his tactics - most don't
- Not designed to show how brilliant he was at taking over the world, so really interesting for the ordinary player
- Highly believable that he actually did play it that way

Do you ever log on, Ariel?