• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oops, my bad. No I didn't. I fully intended to, and even got as far as making a note of it, until I realised that I was still held by the peace treaty that the Poles made in 1789...

I've edited the post for reasons of histotical accuracy, but fully acknowledge the error on my part ;)

Thanks for the save...

Well done Ariel. I did have my own party tonight, celebrathing that you at least did finish your different story. I'm looking forward to your next AAR. I understand that you will playing England. I think tjat you shuld download EEP 1.0b. It will make it harder for you. If you want more info lookinto the event exchange project.

Good luck

Ps

I did buy EU because of your AAR. It's true :D :D

Sorry for all the typos, I did have some pints:cool:

[a single tear roles down Duritz's cheek]

Rule Brittania, long live the King and all that!

Paradox, another royalty check for Ariel. This AAR started me on my EU course, I am forever in his debt.

I look forward to the minors trilogy and the brand spanking new EU2 game - even if I can't buy the damn thing downunder:( .

Glory to Ariel's AAR and all that sailed with her! Yes, even Barkdreg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cheers and all that,
Duritz.

MY First Post

Thanks for the read. It took me about a week to read all this, but it was wel worth it. Ariel I carnt believe how good this was and carnt believe it took you a year to complete it.

I dont have EU infact untill I saw a review in PC Zone last week I dinte even know it existed.

I found the web site and on the back of your AAR I purchased a Copy of EU II. I will be delivered to me on the day of launch 5th April by courier. I carnt wait now! I tried to get a copy of the first EU to put me on but it not avialable now.

I have a couple of questions first. (as I dont have the game and never played it they will be probabably sound silly to you)

1. Breaking off mariages, Why? what is the gain? wont the church be mad etc.

2. IF you dont arrange a mariage of a prince/princess will thay go off and marry on there own or will they stay single.

3. Which would be the best setting for a newbee. Would do you think i should start on a easy setting to find it easy or a hard setting to have a greater lerning curve.

4. Does it make a difference who is in command of the armys or is it just a name?

thanks for the great AAR

just to let you know the only thing that bugged me was CoT, it took 5 pages for me to work out that, that meant centre of trade.

Lord Sutty - unable to wait for the 5th of april

Hi LordSutty -

Glad you liked the AAR. It only took me a year to write because I stopped after about six months and only just started up again recently... So EUII is a definite for the 5th then? That's a bit of good news at least.

Answers to your questions:

1) Marriage agreements automatically expire after 25 years, and then it's up to you to renew them or not. If you want to piss a country off, in EUI you just claimed their throne and got an pretty autmoatic -200 relationship rating with them. I understand it's all changed for EUII though...
2) In EUI it's not a case of keeping track of Princes and Princesses. You offer another nation a Royal Marriage and if they accept then your realtionship with them inmproves and if they refuse then no harm done, although it costs you a diplomat from your pool every time you send an offer.
3) I played my first few games on Normal difficulty and Normal AI Aggression just to get the hang. EU really is the most complicated and challenging strategy game on the market, so you're bound to make all sorts of horrendous mistakes to begin with. My very first AAR (which may or may not still be around here somewhere) details my first disastrous attempts to play England and annex Scotland. I think I ended up with two provinces to my name once the French got involved...
4) From time to time Generals take charge of your armies (i.e. Norfolk, Marlborough, Wolfe, Clive, Wellington), and they have varying bonuses to attack, movement etc. which will improve the performance of your troops. Otherwise, every army wilbe commanded by a "vanilla" Colonel who won't be any better or any worse than any other commander, no matter what they're called.

Soory for the abbreviations, but once you've hung around on the boards for a while you'll get used to them.

I'm working on finishing off my Geno AAR at the moment - it might give you a few hints on how to play as a Minor nation, in case you fancy a bit of a challenge when EUII arrives...

Hullo Everyone,
This is my first post.

I started reading your AAR in January and it has been brilliant to read over the last few months.

Just wanted to thankyou for the effort made by yourself in producing
such a high quality story. Perhaps you could publish this under the
title, Memoirs of Europa.

Heres to you and all the readers out there.

A great end to a great AAR. Truly, many happy hours spent reading away, whiling away the time. I first came here as a newbie, back long in April some time, I still remember first logging on to 'Something A Little Different'. One phrase still sticks in my mind:
They'll make strange bedfellows

Or something like that. I dont know why I remember that.

If you liked this, I must recommend, if you can, dredging up the Spin-offs. A lot of fine writing there as well.

Thanks Ariel.

Bravo!!!!

Ariel, thanks for the memories!

Your AAR was inspiring. Quite literally: You made me write creatively and imaginatively for the first time (rather than the old job-related nonsense I usually pen). Thanks for that. Great, great stuff. I also want to thank you for inspiring our very own Lord Durham, whose writing and leadership have been so amazing, and who really blossomed after the spin-off threads.

I just wish we could head over to the pub for pint, all of us.

:D

Originally posted by Rictus
A great end to a great AAR. Truly, many happy hours spent reading away, whiling away the time. I first came here as a newbie, back long in April some time, I still remember first logging on to 'Something A Little Different'. One phrase still sticks in my mind:

Or something like that. I dont know why I remember that.

If you liked this, I must recommend, if you can, dredging up the Spin-offs. A lot of fine writing there as well.

Thanks Ariel.

And I clearly remember how I nearly killed poor Rictus, luckily he wore a dogcollar.

Extremely likely!

Re: Bravo!!!!

Originally posted by Sgt. Bloomfield
I also want to thank you for inspiring our very own Lord Durham, whose writing and leadership have been so amazing, and who really blossomed after the spin-off threads.
:mad: I was my own inspiration, thank you very much. Don't forget, if it wasn't for my introduction of a certain Monk, none of these spinoff threads would have ever happened. I get a little tired of being passed over in the credit department...

Re: Re: Bravo!!!!

Originally posted by Lord Durham

:mad: I was my own inspiration, thank you very much. Don't forget, if it wasn't for my introduction of a certain Monk, none of these spinoff threads would have ever happened. I get a little tired of being passed over in the credit department...
Well, actually, it was my inspiration but I am too polite to say it. :D

My good Lord D, I did not mean to belittle your inspiration and contribution! My thought was alone how glad I was for Ariel to have provided the fertile ground on which the seed of your inspiration could fall and grow and blossom. You know that none of the spin-off would have been there without you or nearly as fun. Nor do I think would we have the same kind of creative narrative AARs on the board today but for your inspiration and perspiration. :) Thanks, mate.

Ariel

How's things. This has been a blast. I have read this across three continents, been with you through a job crisis, and have discovered that your wife watches a lot of soap operas ;).

I wish you well and hope to see you on the EU2 boards.

BTW the first message you will see when you play England (about the Lollards) in EU2 is about the only pioece of creative writing ever to come from me! A whole thirty words.

Rock on.

Ol' Nic

So, you did the Lollards, huh? Not bad, not bad.

Personally I let 'em get on with it. As you see from the new AAR, I had bigger fish to fry than a few heretics... ;)

476,000 Frenchmen failing to storm Orleans - that's a great screenshot.
It's my personal favourite "EUI AI leaves something to be desired" moment to date - watching them lose 50,000 men a month to attrition was pretty astounding as well...

Dear God, this has been on the way a loooong time. You managed to finish it even after EUII came out - well done. I totally forgot about this one, so I guess I'll have to start from the beginning once again. :cool:

Last edited: