• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Languish

Fighting the Boredom
Apr 17, 2002
www.twitter.com
Vinland

Normal/Normal. EU 1.10 IGC 2.3. Enhanced IGC AI (r7)

I have decided to play a short ‘fun’ game as the fictional kingdom of Vinland. I want them to be the dominant Northern Hemisphere empire. They have no ambitions to ‘conquer the world’ but to become the world’s most proficient traders, sailors and diplomats. They will act as a check and control kingdom to colonisation in the New World (especially in the present day U.S. and Caribbean). I have listed two set of goals, primary and secondary, which I will try to achieve.

Primary Goals:

• Circumnavigate the Globe...
  • Conquer Canada/Quebec (New France) from Atlantic to Pacific...
  • Conquer Iceland...
  • Conquer (all of) Scandinvaia...

Secondary Goals:

• Conquer the Aztec Empire...
  • Conquer the Incan Empire...
  • Conquer Constantinople...

I don’t plan on a long game – let me know what you think if you’ve read this!

Last edited:
Great to see you return to writing AARs Languish, I will be reading this and I am looking forward to it. I think your goals are reasonable and good, so I look forward to the story:)

Hmm, don't want to conquer the world, do want to conquer Constantinople. Interesting combination of goals, there, Languish.

-Pat

Battle bunny said:
New AAR? Well, I always liked to see the brown there where your Vinland is. I mean, the Danish brown. I will be following though, like all EUI AARs.

Yep... a new AAR. I've been meaning to do a Vinland AAR ever since i started working on the EU2 scenario of same name. I suspect i will take some time to complete this though as i have lots of committments elsewhere. We will see.

Lord E said:
Great to see you return to writing AARs Languish, I will be reading this and I am looking forward to it. I think your goals are reasonable and good, so I look forward to the story:)

Thanks Lord E - once i figure out why my laptop took the first screenshot and (for some unknown reason) no others i'll post the first few updates! :)

EDIT: I've found a third party application that takes a screenshot, names it accordingly, and generates a thumbnail. This means i can finally begin!

pjcrowe said:
Hmm, don't want to conquer the world, do want to conquer Constantinople. Interesting combination of goals, there, Languish.

I haven't played for such a long time i don't think i could the world if i tried. I want to play an interesting game... and not being knowledgeable of Vinland's strength's and weaknesses should at least allow me to play them, make errors, and learn from them in the game. I hope to finish respectably well - not as an invincible conquerer.

Duke of Wellington said:
Very nice. A pleasant surprise to check this all too quiet forum and find a very promising new AAR starting up. I'll be following this with interest.

I still think EU2 is an inferior game, i really do... i love the events in EU2 but i find it is a harder game to 'enjoy'... for example in EU1 you can pick up a game and play it often in a couple of nights... whereas in EU2 i was lucky to even finish a single game in a couple of weeks. I think EU1 is superb and ideally suited to AAR writing. EU2 suits a long winded and detailed AAR (often in a narrative form) which just bores me to death to be truthful. I'm obviously in a minority though! :D Thanks for noticing that there is an AAR here... i just hope i can update it enough and make it interesting enough for those who are reading it. I write, if you haven't seen before, in a pretty straightforward way. The way i would want to look at an AAR. Thumbnailed screenshots, simple and to the point writing, so that someone can complete a read within an hour or two at absolute most.

Last edited:
Ok, just a quick update. I’ve played up to around 1566 or so and have been really happy with how things have gone. Playing as Vinland I have been very opportunistic (as I have to be) but have suffered some (realistic) setbacks during the game which were quite amusing at times to experience. I have a load of screenshots ready and several ‘instalments’ to post but as I am away on business right now I can’t upload or write an account until Friday evening. I will be playing another 50-80 year stint tonight all being well.

Intriguingly though I have already succeeded in completing one of my stated secondary objectives and I’ll bet it’s not the one you are thinking is most likely either :D I’ve also managed, pretty much, to pull off one of my primary objectives as well. I’m also very definitely not playing as a warmonger. When I quit the game last night I was sitting third on the overall table and had a trading economy which was the third strongest in the world (greater even than Portugal and not far away from Spain!). So overall I was comfortable with how I played last night – and Vinland are a lot more fun than I assumed. My 3 year hiatus in playing EU1 was ruthlessly exposed in the first few decades but as I remembered how to actually play the game I managed to steer myself in a good way eventually!

Anyway – update(s) coming Friday evening!

I'd rather read a normal AAR as well... the kind where I don't even know if he's playing or just writing a story just doesn't grab me.
Goals done? My tips:
Primary goal: colonising New France...
Secondary goal: conq' ing Aztecs.

Part 1. First Steps.

In 1492 there was a development that was to force Vinland to move out from its self-imposed 500 year isolated existance (Fig.1). The Treaty of Tordesillas was signed between Portugal and Spain dividing up lands that Vinland had occupied for some considerable time. News of this development had filtered through very slowly but the ruler of Vinland had realised the long term danger that this posed for their lands. Ultimately, despite being of European origin, they were fair game. This was a delicate situation that required action - not diplomacy.

Also, ciritically, the land had reached a natural point whereby the population was receiving both a steady flow of emigration from Northern Europe. This emigration, largely from Scandanivia, fuelled a desire within Vinland for new lands, new adventures and new hopes. An explorer named Ottar Gramse was the first of several famous explorer's that would come to epitomise this brave, adventurous spirit. His exploits are the stuff of legend. He was the first Northman to establish relations with the Huron in Kebec (Fig.2) and the first to see the Great Lakes (Fig.3) in 1495. By 1497 his journey's had seen him travel around the great lakes, following the great mississippi river as far south as Bayou (Fig.1).

Fig. 1 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 2 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 3 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 4​

Part 2. The Aztec Adventure.

The arrival of the northmen was the culmination of a four year journey from the great lakes, south along the mississippi, and west along the shores of the gulf of mexico following rumours of a great civilisation there. In 1498, during the reign of Ahuitzotl, the Northmen made their presence known (Fig.1). In early 1500 an explorer by the name of Snorri Eriksson arrived in Tampico and anchored off the coast.

His instructions were passed - any lands are to be conquered in the name of vinland. A surprise attack was initiated against the newly crowned Moctezuma II and although initial successes resulted in the capture of Tenochtitland and several surrounding provinces a stalemate was soon created by the sheer size of the aztec armies against the arms and daring of the Northmen. A clever encirclement plan was devised and in the end almost every province had been taken. Down the last few hundred soldiers an offer of Tuxpan and Tehuantepec (Fig.2) was offered by the desperate emperor which was gladly accepted.

In 1505 however, the spanish made their first landfall in the americas, with a settlement in Tampico (Fig.3) (cutting off an important route for reinforcements). Despite hasty attempts to reinforce and build a fort in Tuxpan the outcome was already written on the way. Despite early sucesses against the Spanish, the had managed to conquer the remnants of the Aztec Empire, and return en force to brush aside the fledgling Northmen settlements. By 1513 with the lands lost for good any further attempts to regain lost lands were abandoned. The Spanish had arrived... (Fig.4)

Fig. 1 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 2 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 3 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 4​

Point of Divergence -

In this timeline history continued much in the same way as it did before, with the Aztec's being very quickly conquered by the Spanish, though with one important difference. The arrival of the Northmen in 1498, the brief war leading to the loss of several coastal cities in 1505, only served to weaken the emperor further when the spanish arrived shortly later. By 1513 the Aztec Empire, and the opportunistically gained Northmen settlements, had all been annexed by the rampant Spanish conquistadors.

Part 3. The Reformation.

The impunity and power of the Spanish had both surprised and stunned the Vinlands and for a few years they were reeling somewhat. Fortunately Vinland found itself at a unique crossroads in its existance. In January 1515 the reformation began to become an identified schism within christianity. The Vinlanders, intrigued and concerned with its own existance by a so-called fellow catholic nation, despite the rules in the ToT stating area sunder christian rule (i.e. Tuxpan and Tehuantepec) were not to be attack, were one of the first adopters of this new and rebellious version of christiantiy.

Vinland wanted no part of a religon that offered them no protection from so called fellow christian brothers. The funds generated from the sale of church property and other measures permitted a large change within the realm. The effeciency of government became improved in the years following and, despite a four year long large-scale catholic rebellion (Fig.1), Vinland began to reap the benefits of its 'conversion'.

Incidentally, shortly after the conclusion of the Catholic Rebellion, the first English Trade Post in the New World was sighted in Connecticut. By 1520, the increase in settlers available, had permitted partial settlement of the St. Lawrence River (Fig.2). This was seen as a necessary requirement to secure the interior of the continent from English (and later, French) encroachment.

In 1524 a naval explorer made his services available to the king and was duly despatched southwards to explore lands away from the Spanish in Mexico. He sailed as far south as modern day Guyana in South America. he sighted islands in the Lesser Antiles and those in the Bahamas on his way south. By 1530 the King was dead and a new king, the young and reckless Grim Asgeirsson, suceeded. One of his first tasks was to decide where to take the lands next. Settlement of the interior of Vinland had been progressing well but like his father before him - he sought riches and fame in addition to the security of his homeland.

He was to be instrumental in sending the navigator Torleif Harde, along with Ulf Jaarning, to explore the lands discovered two decades before and to claim them for Vinland in spite of any protestations from Spain or indeed Portugal. In 1544 the expedition departed, dropping off Ulf in Guyana before passing Northern Brazil (Fig.3). Torleif Harde was to return by May 1547 was a greatly improved map of the America's for his King (Fig.4).

Fig. 1 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 2 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 3 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 4

Battle bunny said:
Treaty of Tordesillas or a normal war? But that's bad news, I mean, the waste of time.

The Treaty, by the time i realised what was going on... it was too late. No reloads of course, this really rams home the situation the vinlanders are in. They are, supposedly, European but like any country colonising the new world. If they try anything in the areas set aside for the Spanish or Portuguese they are asking for trouble. I thought i was safe, and for a few years, i thought i had got a foothold at least. A few years later they squished me like a bug.

Part 4. Incan Adventure.

Although Torleif Harde had returned to Vinland Ulf had not. He was following the Northern Coast of South America and some of the tributaries of the amazon river when, much like Ottar Gramse some 50 years before him, he learned of a powerful empire in the north west of the these lands. By 1548 he had found this empire - the Incan Empire (Fig.1). A situation much more daunting that that faced by Ottar Gramse although in many ways similar. Six thousand Incan warriors lay encamped to the near to Cali, where the the Northmen were to found a small colony, and were led by the aging but powerful ruler - Atahualpa.

However Atahualpa perished only a year later to be suceeded by his brother, Tupac Huallpa, who continued to watch the growth of the colony (Fig.2) and the presence of the unclean northerners until he could bear it no longer. In 1561 a seven thousand strong Incan army suprised them by attacking in early 1561 (Fig.3). Huallpa himself led the army with the fullest intention of displacing the foreigners himself. They were unsucessful, and despite the complete surprise, the norsemen went on a rapid two year campaign from 1562-4 in which the entire light of the Incan Empire was extinguished (Fig.4). Old Norse, a language much like modern Icelandic, became the lingua franca of the former empire. Huallpa himself was spared, as were the royal family, and any who agreed to live peaceably under the control of Vinland.

The years following the conquest, unlike those of the spanish, were largely peaceful. The great wealth of the Incan Empire was responsible for threefold increase in wealth and trade for the Vinland something they found difficult to hide from the every curious european nations now exploring the new world. An ambitious program of extensive fortifications was begun in 1567 and continued until the mid 1570's in order to better see off any possible, and arguably likely, spanish interest in the region.

Fig. 1 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 2 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 3 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 4

Point of Divergence -

In this timeline Pizarro never arrived in South America though smallpox from the central america's still ran rampant as it did much in real history. It still killed Huayna Capac, and still triggered the civil war, in which Atahualpa emerged the victor. However unlike our history, uninterrupted by the arrival of the spaniards, Atahualpa continued his reign unbroken from 1532-1552. He was still in power when the Northmen arrived in 1548.

Bloody Spanish that is very evil of them and something that can be really annoying if you start colonizing early in the game and they use the ToT to its full use, still I am glad to see that you manage to take the Incas. Now after you grab even more land in America it is time to start planning to take revenge on the Spanish…

Battle bunny said:
There must still be a few unclaimed territories near the late Aztec Empire, why not grab those and prepare for revenge?

Spain, certainly in this game, and with the Treaty of Tordesillas under their arms are just too dangerous to threaten. I might return there - but certainly not right now! :)

Duke of Wellington said:
Damn, that would really piss me off losing those provinces like that. The ToT can be the worst thing in the game. Better luck keeping the Incas.

I wasn't pissed off... i was actually pleasantly surprised to see the AI do something about my opportunistic attack. Mexico, obviously, is a prime early target for the Spanish. I was there and they had 'right' to attack me. I am just luck they haven't (yet) attacked my Incan Empire yet... though they now share a border there so i suspect it will be attacked soon.

Revenge eh? Myabe... but certainly not right now.

Lord E said:
Bloody Spanish that is very evil of them and something that can be really annoying if you start colonizing early in the game and they use the ToT to its full use, still I am glad to see that you manage to take the Incas. Now after you grab even more land in America it is time to start planning to take revenge on the Spanish…

Well if i am able to consildiate my position i might be able to do something about them. Perhaps although its not on my agenda to be honest.

Part 5. Consolidation

The next forty years would remain relatively peaceful for the northmen. The enormous wealth of the Inca's would see regular and vastly improved taxes. During the initial years of development in the andes very few explorations were undertaken. The only one of note was an exploration to Argentina in 1577 (Fig.1) though this yielded nothing more as the way northwards was bloked by a spanish colony (Fig.2). It was clear that the holdings of the Northmen were in a precarious position. An ambitious program of extensive fortifications was undertaken alongside the appointment of tax collectors, legal counsels and governors.

The emphasis from exploration to development occured around 1582 when the first Naval Manufactury in Nova Scotia had been completed. This signalled the dawn of an extensive period of construction and investment from 1584-1593. Fortunately in 1593 the Treaty of Tordesillas was abandoned, and after the appointment of an excellent minister, great strides were made in developing the colonies and infrastructure of the region.

One such program was the establishment of colonies on the southern side of the great lakes. Niagara and Detroit were heavily settled along with Ticonderoga in 1605. Shortly before the settlement of Ticonderoga the logistical ability of the armies of the northman had been sufficiently improved (Fig.3) to permit exploration with any army rather than with the aid of seasoned explorers. Shortly afterwards the whole interior of North America had been mapped. A naval equipment manufactury was installed in Micmac and Wabana further developing the fledgling naval industry of the region. By 1612 however rumblings were afoot. The second and third generation of settlers, along with a large concentration of natives, had declared themselves free of spanish rule and had founded new spain. In an increasingly settled and developed new world (Fig.4) it was a wander whether they could maintain their independance.

Last edited: