• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Languish

Fighting the Boredom
Apr 17, 2002
www.twitter.com
France
Normal/Normal. EU 1.10 IGC 2.3. Enhanced IGC AI (r7)

I have decided, upon my return, to play as a Major for a change. I am quite surprised I have not done this before... probably because they are (in some respects) less of a challenge compared to other European Kingdoms/States. The one thing I was really keen on doing was introducing a challenging and perhaps unusual aspect to these nations. Thus my "alternate" aims for this AAR are as follows:

• Regain and/or hold only the French core territories, no other territories will be deliberately sought after...
  • Create a completely French (Cuba to Trinidad) Caribbean empire...
  • Convert to protestantism and convert as much of the country as possible (including the colonies)...
  • Create a powerful anti-spanish protestant alliance...

This should be an interesting and fun challenge, eh?

Last edited:
Sounds very interesting and funny indeed:) I am going to read this one;)

Thanks Lord E.

Again, the aim of the AAR, is to have fun. I kept thinking to myself about how France is usually played. It can be a real monster in the hands of a capable player (i.e. not me) or an equally powerfulaggressive AI. These aims of mine draw me specifically against but only so far as acquiring caribbean holdings and rousillon. The other wars I will no doubt be drawn into will be defensive wars once my objectives have been secured. This means warring against england to gain Calais unfortunately. England will be a state I hope to ultimately count as a future ally.

Because many of the Majors (and indeed minors) have been done to death (and then some…) its time (I think) to re-visit them and try something completely different. I experimented, as you can see with my P-L game, and it was one of the most enjoyable games that I have ever played. With an even more capable nation such as France I should easily be able to achieve my game aims… or will i?

Originally posted by Cow Pie
just the cores :confused: . Peaceful France?

Holy Plot Twist Batman!

Ha!

… you know it is in fact your fault that I am going to play France in this manner. You mentioned you would like to see me play France, and assumed I would play a very aggressive game, which is in fact the traditional way to play France. Aggressively. I sat back and thought about what you had said and realised you had a very good point. This lead me to forming a strategy with France that would on the outset appear aggressive yet this is a ruse. The aggression is purely to achieve dominate over core provinces and a secondary goal of securing the entire caribbean.

Converting to protestantism will keep my country occupied during this whole game. That I am sure of.

Last edited:
Cool idea. :) I'm assuming that with your anti-Spain Alliance you won't be averse to demanding provinces for your allies rather than yourself. ;)

So is this a test game for r7? :)

Originally posted by Languish
Ha!

… you know it is in fact your fault that I am going to play France in this manner. You mentioned you would like to see me play France, and assumed I would play a very aggressive game, which is in fact the traditional way to play France. Aggressively. I sat back and thought about what you had said and realised you had a very good point. This lead me to forming a strategy with France that would on the outset appear aggressive yet this is a ruse. The aggression is purely to achieve dominate over core provinces and a secondary goal of securing the entire caribbean.

Converting to protestantism will keep my country occupied during this whole game. That I am sure of.

Well If I said for you to play England would you be aggressive?
I'm just looking for some anger:D . Maybe the Ottoman's noway you can be peaceful playing them, if you can I'll WC The Knights!

Part I. The Early Foundations of Empire.

In 1492 France found herself poised on the brink of becoming the most powerful nation in europe if she was not already so. The successful conclusion of the hundred years war and unification of much of france (Fig.1) was at the heart of this frankish resurgence. The monarchs of France would work tirelessly in decades to come to assert France's greatness and power.

Throughout 1492, and up until 1495, much of the land was heavily fortified with more effort diverted to the borders of Spain, and the spanish lowlands to the northeast. The buildup of men, materials, supplies, and fortifications continued at the quickest speed possible. In 1498 an explorer by the name of "Martel" offered his services to the the newly crowned King Louis XII and his offer was duly accepted in light of recent spanish discoveries to the west. He would journey far to the west (Fig.2) but would die in 1500 before he actually sighted any land.

Mass desertions in Languedoc threatened the security of the southern border temporarily but it was soon restored. During this time massive infrastructural changes were underway (Fig.3) in the whole of france improving the collection and distribution of monies in the country. It was later in 1504 that plans were definitively put in place to launch an invasion of either Lorraine of Spain. It is soon decided that carrying the war to Lorraine, with Spain as there ally, may allow the french to end war quickly and swiftly with a peace treaty of some sort with Lorraine. In 1507 final preparations are all but completed and in November France (Papal States & Savoy) declare war on Lorraine (Spain & Palatinat). Days laters the armies begin moving to there pre-assigned targets (Fig.4) .

Fig. 1 - - - - - - - - - Fig. 2 - - - - - - - - - Fig. 3 - - - - - - - - - Fig. 4​

Last edited:
Originally posted by Valdemar
Languish have asked for this thread to be kept relatively spam free :D

I have therefore deleted some unwanted posts and merged a few others, to keep the post count to a minimum.

V

Thanks Valdemar... i kinda feel bad about asking because i like responses to my AAR's... but so long as they are relevant to the AAR :)

Last edited:
Part II. The First Actions in Europe.

The army marched across the borders with Spain (and spanish held territory) and began assaults on Artois and Rousillon. The French army was taken a little by surprise with the ferocity of the armies of Lorraine and of the Palitinate. The war in the North would be a costly war of attrition whereas in the south it was more a war of movement.

Artois falls in early 1508 around the same time that Champagne is captured by Lorraine. Later that year the French armies successfully conclude sieges against flandres and Rousillon. The superb leadership of Pierre Bayard ensures that the entire army of Lorraine & Palatinate is annihilated (Fig.5) along with most of the spanish northern army (Fig.6). A siege of Lorraine is undertaken but during the final assault the savoyard army sweeps in and captures key government buildings claiming the land for themselves. The french leaderships does not take too kindly to this sealing the future fate of their soon to be former allies.

In 1510 Castille falls to the southern army and the French are able to dictate terms to the Spanish. The capture of Madrid also yields maps of their discoveries in the west (Fig.7). The terms of the peace treaty include the acquisition of Luxembourg and Artois in the North and of Rousillon in the South (Fig.8). It is learned during the treaty that the Savoyards have annexed Lorraine (they regain their independance in 1513).

Fig. 5 - - - - - - Fig. 6 - - - - - - Fig. 7 - - - - - - Fig. 8​

Last edited:
Lovely pair of updates, Languish. I guess being peaceful doesn't mean you can't have a bit of fun, eh? :p

Still haven't answered my question about r7 though ;).

Looking forward to more! :D

Scotland doesn't start in the alliance, France just likes to invite them later on.

Part III. A Question of Faith.

In 1513 the French Monarchy, following the teachings of Martin Luther, stun the european world by being the first European Kingdom to convert to the supposedly heretical teachings. However, and wisely, the Kingdom decrees that the the country shall be led by the cry "One Rule, Two Faiths" as both religons get equal and fair treatment. There is, as a result, only one Catholic uprising in Caux (Fig.9) which is quickly extinguished.

A new religious zeal grips france as Protestant Mariners and Colonists, unfearful of revealing their true faith, take up voyages of exploration and settlement in the new world. In 1514 a fleet of ships head off to the Caribbean. The coronation of the first protestant monarch, King Francois I, only serves to expedite the conversion even faster. In December 1515 Saint Barthelemey is Founded in the far western tip of Cuba (where present day Havana lies). It will eventually become the principal headquarters of the French presence within the Caribbean (Fig.11).

From 1516 to 1518 the french presence continues to expand with brutal annihilation of natives and additional settlements. Saint Barthelemey (Havana) continues to grow (and quickly). By 1518 French colonies in the region are promising (Fig.11). Further colonial clearings and settlements are made throughout the caribbean and the process is speeded up when the english arrive. In 1522 Giovanni Verrazzano begins exploring the St.Lawrence seaway exploring as far south as modern day Quebec (Fig.12).

Fig. 9 - - - - - - Fig. 10 - - - - - - Fig. 11 - - - - - - Fig. 12​

Last edited:
Part IV. The Colonial Drive.

The 1520's and 1530's are dominated by an increasingly formidable and established French Presence in the Caribbean(Fig.13). In 1523, Orleannais is the first french province to become virtually entirely protestant. During these years countries here and there within Europe, following the French lead, begin converting to Protestantism (Fig.14).

A protestant conquistador, hailing from Orleannais, offers his services to the crown. "De Sagazan" is responsible, in the next few years for eradicating almost all the remaining natives in the caribbean, for leading a pioneering exploration of the lands bordering the gulf of mexico (Fig.15) and of ensuring further French dominance of the Caribbean (Fig.16). He stories of battling natives, spanish and of seeing the legendary empire of the Mexica descend into legend centuries after his death in northern Florida.

Fig. 13 - - - - - - Fig. 14 - - - - - - Fig. 15 - - - - - - Fig. 16​

Last edited:
Morpheus506 - Yeah thanks for the compliments. I am testing r7 within this game but dont know if i will release it yet. I am looking very carefully at Spain and how she performs along with the view of the world at the end of the game. I am fighting a fair bit in this game but only to achieve my objectives. I am genuinely shocked at the zero response i got to converting to protestantism (thank god i can max slider on both!).

Cow Pie - I thought they did as well :( would be nice to perhaps draw them into an alliance against england soon so i can regain Calais (and english caribbean positions). I would sum up by saying the english have been the most tenacious of opponents so far.

Last edited:
Part V. New Wars and New Ambition.

In Mid 1532 a city is inaugurated (Fig.17) in Havana province. Saint Barthelemey, as it is known, will become the principal naval and military base in the region. The famed French Admiral Annebaut and Admiral Brion serve long periods of service from the newly equipped port and shipyard.

This same year Jacques Cartier completes his exploration of North America's eastern coastline. He docks at Saint Barthelemey and begins writing his report on his findings. In 1533 England convert to Protestantism and the two countries unite in alliance with Prussia. The alliance is shortlived as France, not realising Turkey (!) had been admitted, declare war on Hungary. The French refuse to fight alongside the Turks and angrily remark to both the English and Prussians that they are fools for doing so. A city in Jamaica is inaugurated in late 1535.

In November 1537 the French join a more useful Anti-Spanish alliance and declare war on them quickly. A mere year later the entire caribbean is controlled (but not owned) by the french. The war on the continent however is a different affair. The Palatinate wreak havoc in Northern France (Fig.18) before they are decisively defeated along with their Spanish allies in late 1539 (Fig.19). It is fairly touch and go at one stage and the fall of Madrid once again aids the french in forcing there demands on the spanish.

In 1539 the French manage to secure Tortuga (central hispaniola) from the Spanish securing the entire island to themselves (Fig.19). Only parts of Cuba and the tiny island of Curacao remain in their hands. The English presence, however, is far more organised.

Fig. 17 - - - - - - Fig. 18 - - - - - - Fig. 19 - - - - - - Fig. 20​

Last edited:
Part VI. Spain Humbled.

In 1541 Port-au-Prince is founded in Les Cayes (Western Hispaniola) around the same time that a Naval Equipment Manufactory is establish in Saint Barthelemey (Havana). The coronation of the new King of France, Henri II, coincides with several dramatic developments. The Dutch manage to gain their independance from the Spanish and Prussia (in alliance with France) declare war on Spain (Allied with England).

The war goes extremely well for the French and they quickly capture Franche Comte (Fig.21), as they progress well with sieges of Hainaut, Calais and soon Flandres. Madrid falls in 1549 and an invasion of Northern Spain itself is launched in 1551 (Fig.22). This ultimately leads to further pressure on the Spanish kdm to accept a treaty handing over control of Franche Comte, Hainaut (Fig.23) and Curucao (Fig.24).

Fig. 21 - - - - - - Fig. 22 - - - - - - Fig. 23 - - - - - - Fig. 25​

Last edited:
Part VII. One Rule, Two Faiths, Terrible Carnage.

The war waged against the Spanish led to some truly memorable victories as France moved closer and closer to unifying its homelands. It was around this time that Pirates (Fig.26) would prove to be a real pest to movement throughout the Spanish main. Even Jacques Cartier is forced to divert his interests in exploring the region to pacifying these brutes.

However in early 1560 with the fading life of Henri II, an ambitious Monarch by the name of Catherine de Medici was to take the throne sparking off the now famous Wars of Religon (Fig.27). Massive, largely Catholic rebellions, sparked off throughout the country and threaten to topple the government, restore catholicism as the state religon, and return recent french acquisitions to placate spanish involvement in the uprisings.

in 1565 a new Centre of Trade (Fig.28) opens on the island of Jamaica further strengthening the hold of France in the Caribbean. Now even all trade in this region is under the control of French Traders. At the end of this year the last catholic uprising in Artois is crushed ending the wars of religon (Fig.29). The rebellion, although heavy in areas, is put down and the organisers are executed in Paris. Protestantism is reaffirmed as the state religon and catholicism, despite the uprising, is still given equal legal status.

Fig. 26 - - - - - - Fig. 27 - - - - - - Fig. 28 - - - - - - Fig. 29​

Last edited: