• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If the traits are random, couldn't they already add up to more than the old point max? So having the maximum increased would allow you to change things without making the species worse?
Prior precedent is that you're disallowed from further modifying species that have had their traits randomized ("Self Modified" prevents gene-engineering).

So its entirely possible that you just wont be allowed to modify hybrid species, but when their traits are generated they have extra points to borrow from each "parent" with.

Now just give me my mad scientist civ and I will enforce slave...no, go back... GUINEA PIG hybridization. And than purge them. For science.

Prior precedent is that you're disallowed from further modifying species that have had their traits randomized ("Self Modified" prevents gene-engineering).

So its entirely possible that you just wont be allowed to modify hybrid species, but when their traits are generated they have extra points to borrow from each "parent" with.
For instance:

Humans (Adaptive, Nomadic, Wasteful) hybridized with Yondar (Conformists, Natural Physicists, Slow Learners) might work like...

2 base points + 2 hybrid points = 4 points total; maybe they get Adaptive, Conformists, Natural Physicists, Wasteful. Or Nomadic, Natural Physicists, Adaptive. Etc...

I hope that, at the very least, species in the same species group have far larger chances of merging than those from wildly different groups. So human-elf hybrids and butterfly-spider hybrids would be far more common than horse-jellyfish hybrids.

If the traits are random, couldn't they already add up to more than the old point max? So having the maximum increased would allow you to change things without making the species worse?
guess the resulting set of traits will be limited by these new trait points. you can't get combos which cost more trait points than the new species has.

What is concerning me is that this random procreation will create a boat load of subspecies. If you cross-breed two races with 3 traits each, that's 48 possible trait combos (49th is "three from one parent, three from the other" which exceeds allowed trait picks). Even if half of the possible combos will be blocked by total trait points, it still leaves too much wiggle room. The species screen will blow :eek:

The trick then is to modify their parent-species first. so they will inherit their bio-ascension traits to their children.

Stellaris about to become a Space Eugenics Simulator.

What is concerning me is that this random procreation will create a boat load of subspecies. If you cross-breed two races with 3 traits each, that's 48 possible trait combos (49th is "three from one parent, three from the other" which exceeds allowed trait picks). Even if half of the possible combos will be blocked by total trait points, it still leaves too much wiggle room. The species screen will blow :eek:
Depends on whether or not the first hybridized POP sets precedence.

If it does, then all future hybrids would have the same traits- that's how hybrids between those species "turn out".

Depends on whether or not the first hybridized POP sets precedence.

If it does, then all future hybrids would have the same traits- that's how hybrids between those species "turn out".
sounds like a way to go. however, if they also can't be genemodded later (like suggested above), then one unlucky roll can ruin a whole species and cripple you till the end of the game.

sounds like a way to go. however, if they also can't be genemodded later (like suggested above), then one unlucky roll can ruin a whole species and cripple you till the end of the game.
It... really can't?

Hybrids are likely to remain a minority in most cases unless you specifically take action to maximize them in your empire or you get a really lucky trait combo. I don't see many ways a bad roll could "cripple" you.

I see lots of modding potential for this system. Making portraits for hybrids of two specific species... I foresee an influx of cat-girl mods on day 1. :p

I wonder how hybrids will be organized on the species tab? They're sort of a subspecies, but for which parent species would they go under? I assume they'll have their own entry.

Human-Blorg hybrids
Dp4bve1X0AEdkmb

"The culmination of a beautiful friendship :3"

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1053309896706457600

Last edited:
I can’t wait to invade xenophiles and purge the hybrid abominations.
SUFFER NOT THE HYBRID