• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Kuiper Belt ... Is Haumea, Makemake and Eris going to be alternate names for a 'astroid'?
Well I can see three more objects in that outer (Kuiper) Belt, so I'd say it's likely to be exactly those.

Ecumelopolis and new population mechanic
"Today marks the return of cryptic @StellarisGame teaser screenshots, posted every Thursday up until the return of feature dev diaries on August 9th. As before, I will provide these without context or explanation. Here's a first glimpse at what the future holds."

DhV3hJKXcAABeAC.jpg

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1014849498437349376

Ecumenopolis?
102 billion people?
Dominant species info implying that planetary economic characteristics are consolidated under the traits of a single pop type rather than the schizo micro hell of tile-by-tile placement?

Yeah, this looks breddy 10/10

That teaser image...doesn't quite look like a machine world.Are we gonna be getting something like a 40k hive world?

It's an Ecumenopolis world probably, a single planet-spanning city, like Coruscant from Star Wars.

I hope we will get more specialized planets, like lush worlds with a protected and thriving ecosystem or entire planets focused on entertainment.

Multiplayer interface improvements
I hope for new gameplay elements with the new planet system. Something like overpopulation or resource depletion on planets. Something to motivate you to constantly search for new planets to colonize, not just to maximize your income, but to assure that your income doesn't shrink over time, or to secure the well being of your pops.

Generally I would welcome more interaction with pops apart from purging, enslaving or stacking resource modifiers on them. Something to make them feel more alive. Of course only if you want to. You should still be able to be the evil tyrant emperor that treats all of his population as little working drones that should do nothing else than being born, work and then die.

Last edited:
...Dominant species info implying that planetary economic characteristics are consolidated under the traits of a single pop type rather than the schizo micro hell of tile-by-tile placement?...

I doubt it'll be a single pop type -- odds are good that minority pops, though not immediately visible, will be taken into account. Else why'd you take Syncretic Evolution?

But hey. As long as the "schizo micro hell of tile-by-tile placement", as you so aptly put it, is gone...

Population 102... does that mean the planetary tile system is going the way of the dodo?
Friend I think you're a tad late to the party, yes the tile system is very likely being removed in favor of something else.

I hope for new gameplay elements with the new planet system. Something like overpopulation or resource depletion on planets. Something to motivate you to constantly search for new planets to colonize, not just to maximize your income, but to assure that your income doesn't shrink over time, or to secure the well being of your pops.

Generally I would welcome more interaction with pops apart from purging, enslaving or stacking resource modifiers on them. Something to make them feel more alive. Of course only if you want to. You should still be able to be the evil tyrant emperor that treats all of his population as little working drones that should do nothing else than being born, work and then die.

Not really a fan of resource depletion. When it works, it does best on turn-based, boardgame-y games where the focus lies solely on bringing the game to a quick end through conquest. It's, literally, a ticking clock on the player.

Perhaps some strip-mining mechanic that grants mineral and resource production bonuses at the cost of resource depletion and/or ecological damage might be implemented. Or maybe a trait that makes your species ravenous resource-hogging creatures like these cyborg-locust-things on Endless Space 2. But as a global mechanic, it shrinks gameplay options instead of expanding on them.

As was stated in the previous thread, concerning the hope that new mechanics for planetary specialization will come with the patch, I hope such a mechanic would work with a "core-periphery" organization of planets. Periphery planets dedicated to minerals, food, resource extraction while core world would focus more on research/energy/unity generation.

We're improving the information available to players during empire selection when joining a multiplayer game. Please note that image is WIP, and using placeholder art!

Dha68r2X4AA8IiJ.jpg

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1015204450972131328
I still can't understand why rebels were changed so that they always have black and gray empire colours. When an AI empire starts fracturing and can't stop it, after a while their space becomes rather confusing as there are several rebel empires of one planet, all of them gray (which is the same colour as the Marauders, by the way). And then they have an AI Rebellion, which is also gray. The latter is especially unforgivable, considering that you can actually switch to playing that gray blob and would start mixing your own borders with any rebels, and can't change the flag mid-game.

I still can't understand why rebels were changed so that they always have black and gray empire colours. When an AI empire starts fracturing and can't stop it, after a while their space becomes rather confusing as there are several rebel empires of one planet, all of them gray (which is the same colour as the Marauders, by the way). And then they have an AI Rebellion, which is also gray. The latter is especially unforgivable, considering that you can actually switch to playing that gray blob and would start mixing your own borders with any rebels, and can't change the flag mid-game.
Maybe have an event x years after they rebel and are at peace where they change their flag? That way they can start as a distinctive rebel colour but change to something else once they're no longer a rebel.

Maybe have an event x years after they rebel and are at peace where they change their flag? That way they can start as a distinctive rebel colour but change to something else once they're no longer a rebel.
I wouldn't mind this.

Still I would prefer the old way where rebels had distinctive flags to match their ethos, it was like they were actual nations (which they were) instead of the generic gray rebels.

@Oscot

You said:

A) Where am I assuming that?
B) Even if there was a true answer to (A), a generalisation that everyone goes Malthusian is no worse than a generalisation that everyone goes 21st-century demographic decline, and indeed at least I backed up my projection with a causative mechanism
C) Those two objections nonwithstanding, here's your citation.

So, to A)Counterproposal: in a post-scarcity civil society where automation leaves the vast majority of the population with 3-hour workdays and a generous Universal Basic income means everyone has the money as well as the time to support as many children as they want, birthrates will shoot back UP and we'll essentially become Malthusian: the population bottleneck becomes literally how much hydroponic soy you can grow in your Lv. 1 Hydroponics Farms.

Your entire comment was built on that assumption.

For B) You are correct.

For C) Evolution is not the same as societal development.

It's an Ecumenopolis world probably, a single planet-spanning city, like Coruscant from Star Wars.

I hope we will get more specialized planets, like lush worlds with a protected and thriving ecosystem or entire planets focused on entertainment.
Definitely gonna need the coruscant graphic replacer mod for that :p