• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 11th of August 2016

Hello everyone and welcome back to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. It is definitely a game of staying power, as this saturday we celebrate the 3 year anniversary of the release. I’m back from paternity leave, so now I’m here, and will do most of the development diaries for this expansion. Next week I’ll be at gamescom, where our plans is to reveal it all, so Jake will be writing next week development diary, as after all, the show must go on.

We have one vision for this patch and expansion, and that is to breakthru and make the organisational aspects of your country more interesting. In the june diary about ruler personalities we avoided talking about the empty spot at the court screen, but here goes.

In the next expansion, your king will get a queen. A queen is obviously named Consort or a government-specific name if you have a ruling Queen.

You have a chance to get a queen at any time you sign a royal marriage, and she will then be of the dynasty of the country of origin. There is also the chance of getting a queen of a local minor noble dynasty if you gain a heir without a current queen.

eu4_106.jpg

And when another one bites the dust, and you previously would have ended up with a regency, your queen will now head up the regency instead. In some governments this is not possible though, as they won’t allow it due to other mechanics, like the Dutch Republic or Iqta.

The legitimacy when a queen is the highest of either the current heir, current legitimacy and the country she originated from.

One of the benefits of having a queen is that you will know in advance which stats you will get, and a personality which may give benefits. If another nation gets a queen from your nation, they will be viewing you slightly more favorably.

Same of you may say its a scandal the way the mechanics have worked since the release of original EU3, and have put us under pressure to change it. A Queen Regent will allow you do declare wars like normal during a regency.

Now, its time the play the game….

Reactions:
Is this the real claim?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a lib war,
no escape from Burgundy.

Open your eyes
look up to pools and see
I'm just a poor duke, I need no cavalry
Manpower easy come easy go,
never high, always low
anyway the tick goes, doesn't really matter to me. To me.

Mama, just killed an heir,
Put in army 'gainst his will,
press'd the button now he's dead.

Mama, regency just begun,
Cored all but now it's gone and thrown it all away.

Reactions:
Will England simply start with Margaret de Anjou as it's queen? In fact, will any countries just start with a queen?

That's an interesting question. Henry VI didn't marry Margaret of Anjou until 23 April 1445, so technically they shouldn't start married. But then by late 1444 the betrothal was well underway (it was agreed upon under the Treaty of Tours on 22 May 1444), so not marrying her would have been seen as a grave insult towards Anjou and France.

Reactions:
That's an interesting question. Henry VI didn't marry Margaret of Anjou until 23 April 1445, so technically they shouldn't start married. But then by late 1444 the betrothal was well underway (it was agreed upon under the Treaty of Tours on 22 May 1444), so not marrying her would have been seen as a grave insult towards Anjou and France.
Also, another big one. How will this affect the Iberian Wedding?

iqta going from "eh its pretty nice" into straight dumpster with this patch, wow

I don't understand this sentence. Seems to have wonky sentence structure or maybe there's simply a word missing or something?
i'm guessing it means, 'The legitimacy, when a queen is regent, is the highest of either the current heir, current legitimacy or the country she originated from.'

@Johan if the prince consort takes over (well the hubby of queen) to play regent for his son, and then declares war, and then dies as general.. If a queen dies during 'regency'.... what happens?

can the HEIR still die as before, and if so, what happens?

Interregnum as it was before? If not, will interregnum even be able to fire still?

Whilst on the subject of rulers, are we going to see any advancements in Personal Unions??

As i find it frustrating as the junior party all I can do is wait to be annexed or Rebel.

You can also declare independence. One of the DLC's makes it easier too since you can invite supporters who hate your PU Senior.

~ I want to break free! Will this be an achievement now? Or even better as a junior partner in union declare for independence if senior partner is ruled by queen or queen regent.

Bohemian Rhapsody? :eek: No pun comes to mind :(

Last edited:
Reactions:
Should it not be prince/prince-consort?
Would be more appropriate indeed. For instance here in Denmark we currently have a ruling queen and her husband isn't called king consort, but prince consort. Or sometimes just prince for short.
The heir inherits the rulers dynasty. If the ruler is the father then the heir inherits his dynasty.
I don't like that. Historically rulers got their dynasty from the fathers; just look at how the British monarchs changed from the House of Hannover to the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha after queen Victoria.

Reactions:
Would be more appropriate indeed. For instance here in Denmark we currently have a ruling queen and her husband isn't called king consort, but prince consort. Or sometimes just prince for short.
I don't like that. Historically rulers got their dynasty from the fathers; just look at how the British monarchs changed from the House of Hannover to the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha after queen Victoria.

This would leave us with trying hard to get a Queen, then marrying another nation to get a child so we could get their dynasty as an heir, it makes the PU game almost too easy.

This would leave us with trying hard to get a Queen, then marrying another nation to get a child so we could get their dynasty as an heir, it makes the PU game almost too easy.
Good point. Though in my impression queens are really rare (if your country even can get them) so I have a hard time seeing how it can be gamed. On the other hand some people are really good at gaming things despite it seemingly being really hard to game.
Still would prefer it being realistic like that (as I am not trying to min max or do WCs anymore), but can see why it isn't done.

Perhaps, but from a gameplay perspective that would suck.

Reactions:
I hope that who's not gonna buy the dlc will get a way to declare war when in a regency, this was a thing that was demanded since regencies became a thing in eu.

Reactions:
I don't understand this sentence. Seems to have wonky sentence structure or maybe there's simply a word missing or something?
I think there's some grammatical mistake in that: we say "the highest of/among a, b and c", not "the highest of either a, b, and c".
  • "either" wants a corresponding "or".
  • "either" usually means a choice between two things.
  • when we say the highest of something, that's not a choice since all options need to be looked at. So "highest of either..." is even more wrong.

because this senteces is yet to be translated from paradoxishh into english xD its the kinda english we often see in info boxes in teh game xD

ps: will it be able to make war in a regency then as well when u dont have the add on or do you need this ? because this is the most importent feature since 1.0

Paid DLC. Of course it is.

All this milking of your customers will come back to bite you in your corporate wallet, mark my words. There's seemingly no end to your greed.

/sadquit

Reactions:
About time we get consorts. Next step is CKII like characters.

Reactions:
Paid DLC. Of course it is.

All this milking of your customers will come back to bite you in your corporate wallet, mark my words. There's seemingly no end to your greed.
PDS has a long tradition of paid DLC though. I don't see why this diary is a specific proof of greed.

Reactions: