• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 11th of August 2016

Hello everyone and welcome back to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. It is definitely a game of staying power, as this saturday we celebrate the 3 year anniversary of the release. I’m back from paternity leave, so now I’m here, and will do most of the development diaries for this expansion. Next week I’ll be at gamescom, where our plans is to reveal it all, so Jake will be writing next week development diary, as after all, the show must go on.

We have one vision for this patch and expansion, and that is to breakthru and make the organisational aspects of your country more interesting. In the june diary about ruler personalities we avoided talking about the empty spot at the court screen, but here goes.

In the next expansion, your king will get a queen. A queen is obviously named Consort or a government-specific name if you have a ruling Queen.

You have a chance to get a queen at any time you sign a royal marriage, and she will then be of the dynasty of the country of origin. There is also the chance of getting a queen of a local minor noble dynasty if you gain a heir without a current queen.

eu4_106.jpg

And when another one bites the dust, and you previously would have ended up with a regency, your queen will now head up the regency instead. In some governments this is not possible though, as they won’t allow it due to other mechanics, like the Dutch Republic or Iqta.

The legitimacy when a queen is the highest of either the current heir, current legitimacy and the country she originated from.

One of the benefits of having a queen is that you will know in advance which stats you will get, and a personality which may give benefits. If another nation gets a queen from your nation, they will be viewing you slightly more favorably.

Same of you may say its a scandal the way the mechanics have worked since the release of original EU3, and have put us under pressure to change it. A Queen Regent will allow you do declare wars like normal during a regency.

Now, its time the play the game….

Reactions:
Any chance you can let us choose the dynasty from a list when we break a PU? Would love it if I get an Oranje as my ruler when I break the PU with Burgundy and go for forming the Netherlands.

Reactions:
We have one vision for this patch and expansion, and that is to breakthru and make the organisational aspects of your country more interesting.

My initial comment on this DD was pretty negative because I expected something else, but I must point out that this (internal stuff) is exactly the kind of changes I long for in EUIV. Bravissimo for your boldness about culture integration and technology groups overhauls.

Reactions:
And when another one bites the dust, and you previously would have ended up with a regency, your queen will now head up the regency instead.

Hmm... this should be problematical in most instances, and I would expect there would be a lot of very dangerous destabilizing events that would be likely in this situation. I Can't imagine (and can't think of any historical examples of) the powerful uncle(s) of a new boy-king gracefully and patiently stepping aside and leaving the state in the hands of an unpopular foreign queen mother. In fact, the only powerful mother-regents I can really think of offhand are all extra-European - the Valide Sultans in the Ottoman Empire and Tzu-hsi in China (who is also well out of the EU4 period).

A very promising and nice feature that truly enhances the feel of realism of country management.

I have one issue though - not all consorts should wield the same influence, and by that I not only mean being possible regents.

What I am thinking is another stat for a ruler, and the consort:
A x*0,1 value on how much power the monarch's personality allows for the consort.
A y*0,1 value on how much power the consort wishes for herself.

And some ideas / government forms modifying this with a 3rd multiplier in some cases, to represent the traditions of powerful Queens, or the opposite on the long term.
End result would determine how much of the Queen's stats raise or lower the monarch's power.

Hmm... this should be problematical in most instances, and I would expect there would be a lot of very dangerous destabilizing events that would be likely in this situation. I Can't imagine (and can't think of any historical examples of) the powerful uncle(s) of a new boy-king gracefully and patiently stepping aside and leaving the state in the hands of an unpopular foreign queen mother. In fact, the only powerful mother-regents I can really think of offhand are all extra-European - the Valide Sultans in the Ottoman Empire and Tzu-hsi in China (who is also well out of the EU4 period).

Catherine de Medici?

Hello everyone and welcome back to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. It is definitely a game of staying power, as this saturday we celebrate the 3 year anniversary of the release. I’m back from paternity leave, so now I’m here, and will do most of the development diaries for this expansion. Next week I’ll be at gamescom, where our plans is to reveal it all, so Jake will be writing next week development diary, as after all, the show must go on.

We have one vision for this patch and expansion, and that is to breakthru and make the organisational aspects of your country more interesting. In the june diary about ruler personalities we avoided talking about the empty spot at the court screen, but here goes.

In the next expansion, your king will get a queen. A queen is obviously named Consort or a government-specific name if you have a ruling Queen.

You have a chance to get a queen at any time you sign a royal marriage, and she will then be of the dynasty of the country of origin. There is also the chance of getting a queen of a local minor noble dynasty if you gain a heir without a current queen.

View attachment 199935

And when another one bites the dust, and you previously would have ended up with a regency, your queen will now head up the regency instead. In some governments this is not possible though, as they won’t allow it due to other mechanics, like the Dutch Republic or Iqta.

The legitimacy when a queen is the highest of either the current heir, current legitimacy and the country she originated from.

One of the benefits of having a queen is that you will know in advance which stats you will get, and a personality which may give benefits. If another nation gets a queen from your nation, they will be viewing you slightly more favorably.

Same of you may say its a scandal the way the mechanics have worked since the release of original EU3, and have put us under pressure to change it. A Queen Regent will allow you do declare wars like normal during a regency.

Now, its time the play the game….
Hello Johan: I have a question. What about showing that you have more than 1 children, so if your first children dies, your second child will inherit the throne or if you have daughters you get to chose who becomes queen of what nation (after you offer a royal marriage and it gets accepted) , and if she has a child and you have no children, if your daughter can than succeed your not, and if not than you can chose a relative, and maybe that could precipitate a succession war. Also what about King Consorts? After all there are Female - Queen Rulers!! Like Mary Stuart, Mary I, Elizabeth I, Jane Grey (though she is referred to as the Nine Day Queen).

Last edited:
Catherine de Medici?

Got me there - that's what happens when I post before having my morning coffee. Although (going by Wikipedia here - I confess this is not my place & period) Catherine's authority was apparently under constant challenge during the minority of Charles IX, even with Henry II dying without close male relatives aside from his sons. I'm not 100% opposed to the concept, but my two cents are that queens should not automatically become regents and there should be some pretty heavy penalties/risks when they do - as there would have been historically.

Paid DLC. Of course it is.

All this milking of your customers will come back to bite you in your corporate wallet, mark my words. There's seemingly no end to your greed.

/sadquit
But Paradox adds much more FREE content than other Developers, It's just they also have More Paid DLC, and you notice you are missing features. if they did not release them, you would not care that you do not have them.

Reactions:
The heir inherits the rulers dynasty. If the ruler is the father then the heir inherits his dynasty.
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the heir always be of the father's dynasty in all but exceptional circumstances. As I understand it, that was how European dynasties mostly worked. The Habsburgs got on the Spanish throne when a Habsburg prince married a Trastámara queen. It was also how the UK transitioned from the house of Hanover to Saxe-Coburg & Gotha, even though that's outside of the EU4 temporal scope.

Reactions:

Catherine de Medici?

Marie de Medici (for Louis XIII of France)
Anne of Austria (for Louis XIV of France - France has had a long tradition of queen-mother regents going back to Anne of Kiev and Blanche of Castile)
Elena Glinskaya (for Ivan IV of Russia)
Natalya Naryshkina (for Peter I of Russia)
Anna Leopoldovna (for Ivan VI of Russia - granted these last two aren't the greatest examples, but it's noteworthy that they were both overthrown by women, Sophia as regent and Elizabeth as empress)
Mary of Guelders (for James III of Scotland)
Margaret Tudor (for James V of Scotland)
Marie de Guise (for Mary I of Scotland - Scotland had a lot of regencies during the period)
Mariana of Austria (for Carlos II of Spain)
Hedwig Eleonora of Holstein-Gottorp (for Charles XI and Charles XII of Sweden)
Catherine of Austria (for Sebastian of Portugal, although this is a grandson and not a son in this case)
Luisa de Guzman (for Alfonso VI of Portugal)
Christine Marie of France (for Charles Emmanuel II of Savoy)
Marie Jeanne of Savoy (for Victor Amadeus II of Savoy)

So queen-mother regents were actually fairly common during the period, and often quite successful.

Reactions:
Are the stats of the King and Queen combined, averaged out or is the highest between the two picked for monarch point generation?

Agreed. Something is off with the grammar (and that's my opinion as a professional book editor). And it seems like it's trying to say something important . . .
Took me a doubtetake, but I got it fairly quickly. It's interesting because for native English speakers, we can often form sentences like this that are, for all practical intents and purposes, grammatically correct (or at least I would affirm so), but that are syntactically ambiguous. The "technically correct" fix here is to simply offset that conditional with dashes – like this "The legitimacy when a queen – is the highest of either the current heir, current legitimacy, and the country she originated from," courtesy Oxford comma added.

Reactions:
You should make augmenting rulers contribute some of their monarch points to the country's monarch point production.

So like, If you have a 4+2+6 chief male ruler, and a 1+5+2 female ruler, make like half of the monarch points of the female add to the male's monarch point production, so like giving a total of 5+5+7 or something like that.

You should make augmenting rulers contribute some of their monarch points to the country's monarch point production.

So like, If you have a 4+2+6 chief male ruler, and a 1+5+2 female ruler, make like half of the monarch points of the female add to the male's monarch point production, so like giving a total of 5+5+7 or something like that.
I see what you did here, ck2 style augmenting, but imho this would unbalance the game giving in general too many points.

Reactions:
I see what you did here, ck2 style augmenting, but imho this would unbalance the game giving in general too many points.
Oh so this is how it works in CK2 :D

Perhaps, scale monarch power costs up, or interpolate monarch points spread between the two rulers? Though I think, based on what I have seen of Paradox history, that seems unlikely, as they do not like such big changes.