• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 11th of August 2016

Hello everyone and welcome back to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. It is definitely a game of staying power, as this saturday we celebrate the 3 year anniversary of the release. I’m back from paternity leave, so now I’m here, and will do most of the development diaries for this expansion. Next week I’ll be at gamescom, where our plans is to reveal it all, so Jake will be writing next week development diary, as after all, the show must go on.

We have one vision for this patch and expansion, and that is to breakthru and make the organisational aspects of your country more interesting. In the june diary about ruler personalities we avoided talking about the empty spot at the court screen, but here goes.

In the next expansion, your king will get a queen. A queen is obviously named Consort or a government-specific name if you have a ruling Queen.

You have a chance to get a queen at any time you sign a royal marriage, and she will then be of the dynasty of the country of origin. There is also the chance of getting a queen of a local minor noble dynasty if you gain a heir without a current queen.

eu4_106.jpg

And when another one bites the dust, and you previously would have ended up with a regency, your queen will now head up the regency instead. In some governments this is not possible though, as they won’t allow it due to other mechanics, like the Dutch Republic or Iqta.

The legitimacy when a queen is the highest of either the current heir, current legitimacy and the country she originated from.

One of the benefits of having a queen is that you will know in advance which stats you will get, and a personality which may give benefits. If another nation gets a queen from your nation, they will be viewing you slightly more favorably.

Same of you may say its a scandal the way the mechanics have worked since the release of original EU3, and have put us under pressure to change it. A Queen Regent will allow you do declare wars like normal during a regency.

Now, its time the play the game….

Reactions:
good now i dont have to wait like 10 years to start a war.
Or feel your heart completely drop when you position your troops, fabricate your claims, go to push the button and "Regency!" gets in the way of your declare war confirmation.

Very cool! Love it!

I think right now you get too screwed over if you get a low-MP ruler. I think you should double the MP cost of everything and give us MP from both ruler and queen as a way of giving us a little better odds.

I would LOVE for this to be included. There's nothing worse than an heir dying, TWO new ones popping up, and the one the game sticks with is the weaker one. :p

Yeah, whats with that double-heir-spawn-but-game-sticks-with-retard event. It's confused me so many times. Especially when they have similar names.
God like Fredrich Wilhelm, but retard Wilhelm Fredrich

King with 15 years and Queen with 60 years..

In that case the game will rename them to Harold and Maude and exit afterwards, recording the game as a win-win. I saw that happen. Or was I dreaming?

Anyway, may I ask for the "Henry VII"-feature: if you are a king and not catholic (and if than enact the national decision to establish a new religion of your choice and leadership) and you have a queen you may have cut her head off and get a new queen as many times as you wish. I would love to do that as often as possible: roll heads and roll new queens. You may restrict this behaviour to kings of the House Of Tudor. And if you are not from christian religion, you may have as may queens as you wish at the same time (which obviously is way better than Henry's rules for everyone involved).

Can't wait for that first bug that will somehow allow a homosexual mariage.
Imagine! Legitimtae 15th century homosexual monarchs.
#ProgressiveParadox :)

You will need all tech maxed out to have access to the reproductional technology needed to maintain dynasty in that case.
Or a second spouse of the opposite sex. Lay down and think of England.

However, in either case, soon after you obtained your new heir, your people will revolt and create a republic out of your monarchy, finishing your dynasty by having your complete family wiped out.

"The legitimacy when a queen is the highest of either the current heir, current legitimacy and the country she originated from."

Could you...rephrase this? I don't get what this is supposed to mean.

You get 100 legitimacy in any case. Or less.

Reactions:
New mechanics for rurels are really nice. But I will be really happy if You could add one simple improvement for wars: a simple way to tell your allies where you want them to be - somehing maybe like war plans because now sometimes when AI encounter war on opposite sides of it's own territory really dosen't know where to go and starts to move their armies back and forth (I know there is button for each specific province but this is not very convenient). Plus please do something about AI love to moving around thousands of 1k stacks.

Reactions:
Please make it that with Dutch Republic and maybe other Republics and Constitutional monarchy the slot is used for the prime minister or monarch. and with changing tradition or low stability them trying to take control.

Reactions:
So, what if your King/Queen isn't.... interested in the other gender? Could a King have a King-Consort or a Queen a Queen-Consort? Some kind of event, maybe?

Reactions:
I figure they'd just have a favorite, a male lover

Much like kings also kept mistresses

Royal marriages in the time period weren't really about marrying the person you want as a lover

Reactions:
A Queen Regent will allow you do declare wars like normal during a regency.

ERMMMGHHHAADDDDDDDD ITS HAPPENED!!! ITS FINALLY HAPPENED!!!

No more Dev Diaries needed. Take. My. Money.

The single most annoying feature in the game, maybe any game ever, gone. Just like that! Dont know what to do with my life now

Reactions:
I figure they'd just have a favorite, a male lover

Much like kings also kept mistresses

Royal marriages in the time period weren't really about marrying the person you want as a lover

That's true.
And, to be honest, at this point, I wouldn't care if they called them a Royal Space Penguin so long as it lets me declare war during a regency.

Reactions: