• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 11th of August 2016

Hello everyone and welcome back to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. It is definitely a game of staying power, as this saturday we celebrate the 3 year anniversary of the release. I’m back from paternity leave, so now I’m here, and will do most of the development diaries for this expansion. Next week I’ll be at gamescom, where our plans is to reveal it all, so Jake will be writing next week development diary, as after all, the show must go on.

We have one vision for this patch and expansion, and that is to breakthru and make the organisational aspects of your country more interesting. In the june diary about ruler personalities we avoided talking about the empty spot at the court screen, but here goes.

In the next expansion, your king will get a queen. A queen is obviously named Consort or a government-specific name if you have a ruling Queen.

You have a chance to get a queen at any time you sign a royal marriage, and she will then be of the dynasty of the country of origin. There is also the chance of getting a queen of a local minor noble dynasty if you gain a heir without a current queen.

eu4_106.jpg

And when another one bites the dust, and you previously would have ended up with a regency, your queen will now head up the regency instead. In some governments this is not possible though, as they won’t allow it due to other mechanics, like the Dutch Republic or Iqta.

The legitimacy when a queen is the highest of either the current heir, current legitimacy and the country she originated from.

One of the benefits of having a queen is that you will know in advance which stats you will get, and a personality which may give benefits. If another nation gets a queen from your nation, they will be viewing you slightly more favorably.

Same of you may say its a scandal the way the mechanics have worked since the release of original EU3, and have put us under pressure to change it. A Queen Regent will allow you do declare wars like normal during a regency.

Now, its time the play the game….

Reactions:
Oh so this is how it works in CK2 :D

Perhaps, scale monarch power costs up, or interpolate monarch points spread between the two rulers? Though I think, based on what I have seen of Paradox history, that seems unlikely, as they do not like such big changes.
Scaling the monarch power cost would change nothing to who has the dlc and quite a bit to who hasn't, imho already having the ability to control the kingdom during regency is a lot

Prepare for the epic Regencies of Catherine de Medici.

No, since a king is of higher rank then a queen
Thanks for answering after a mod already said yes.
Also, i was specifically talking about if your ruler is a female, whether her husband would be consort. Your argument makes no sense. If a ruler is a female queen, her husband would be king. He woupd not somehow be of a higher rank and rule instead of her.

Reactions:
Good point. Though in my impression queens are really rare (if your country even can get them) so I have a hard time seeing how it can be gamed. On the other hand some people are really good at gaming things despite it seemingly being really hard to game.
Still would prefer it being realistic like that (as I am not trying to min max or do WCs anymore), but can see why it isn't done.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the heir always be of the father's dynasty in all but exceptional circumstances. As I understand it, that was how European dynasties mostly worked. The Habsburgs got on the Spanish throne when a Habsburg prince married a Trastámara queen. It was also how the UK transitioned from the house of Hanover to Saxe-Coburg & Gotha, even though that's outside of the EU4 temporal scope.

Didn't the Habsburgs eventually agree to split into the Habsburgs of Austria and the Habsburgs of Spain, and agree that they had separate lines of succession?

Same of you may say its a scandal the way the mechanics have worked since the release of original EU3, and have put us under pressure to change it. A Queen Regent will allow you do declare wars like normal during a regency.

Now, its time the play the game….

Finally! Better late than never

Didn't the Habsburgs eventually agree to split into the Habsburgs of Austria and the Habsburgs of Spain, and agree that they had separate lines of succession?

Yes, after forming the Spanish-Austrian PU Charles V very quickly realized that his territories were far too vast and heterogenous the centrally rule and gave the Archduchy of Austria to his younger brother Ferdinand.

He made sure though to add the Netherlands Austria inherited from Burgundy to Spain.

1.hope the heir can always inherit his father's dynasty, unless it is matrilineal marriage
2.hope the events of WiH can be reset as proper, for example, Mary of Anjou should be a queen consort and queen regent of her husband rather than a ruler
3.hope a male ruler can become another ruler's king consort and a female ruler can become another ruler's queen consort

3.hope a male ruler can become another ruler's king consort and a female ruler can become another ruler's queen consort
Did that ever happen in history though? At least not in Europe or the Muslims world.

Edit: Never mind; misread it as talking about a male ruler marrying another male and a queen marrying a woman.

Last edited:
Did that ever happen in history though? At least not in Europe or the Muslims world.

Isabella I of Castile and Ferdinand II of Aragon, Philip II of Spain and Mary I of England, William III of the Netherlands and Mary II England, and many others.

Isabella I of Castile and Ferdinand II of Aragon, Philip II of Spain and Mary I of England, William III of the Netherlands and Mary II England, and many others.
Those were not gay couples, but marriages of a man and a woman. With how Christianity and Islam looked at homosexuality in this period I really don't see gay couples fitting---at least not in Europe and the Muslim world. Don't know enough about the rest to comment on that.

Though I might have misread your post.

Those were not gay couples, but marriages of a man and a woman. With how Christianity and Islam looked at homosexuality in this period I really don't see gay couples fitting---at least not in Europe and the Muslim world. Don't know enough about the rest to comment on that.

Though I might have misread your post.

I'm pretty sure he didn't refer to gay marriages, but rather was hoping that there would be a way to represent the (normal) marriage of two reigning monarchs, with each spouse as each other's consort.

I'm pretty sure he didn't refer to gay marriages, but rather was hoping that there would be a way to represent the (normal) marriage of two reigning monarchs, with each spouse as each other's consort.
I misread him as wanting kings marrying men and queens marrying women. I now see what he actually wanted and as you said there are several examples of it. I too would want that in game. And it shouldn't necessarily lead to a PU, but the possibility of it doing so should be there. Like with Castille and Aragon. Or Denmark and Norway to go a little before the game's time line.

for the modders, although this will probably be too late:

1) will we be able to generate a queen? meaning can we decide by event wether this RM will trigger a queen?

2) can we kill a queen? is it possible to decouple a queen from a ruler by event?

3) is the queen explicitly linked to a specific dinasty? will I get to pound the pope into the dust as spain because he dared to divorce my aunt from the king of england?

1) will we be able to generate a queen? meaning can we decide by event wether this RM will trigger a queen?

You can create consorts via events. There are a whole bunch of new triggers, on_actions and effects related to consorts.

We make use of them for our own consort events.

2) can we kill a queen? is it possible to decouple a queen from a ruler by event?

You can both kill and remove a consort through events.

3) is the queen explicitly linked to a specific dinasty? will I get to pound the pope into the dust as spain because he dared to divorce my aunt from the king of england?

Consorts have both dynasties and countries of origin. Events make use of them and there are opinion modifiers tied to them (see the dd).

Reactions:
You can create consorts via events. There are a whole bunch of new triggers, on_actions and effects related to consorts.

We make use of them for our own consort events.

You can both kill and remove a consort through events.

Consorts have both dynasties and countries of origin. Events make use of them and there are opinion modifiers tied to them (see the dd).

thank you, usually the devs stop responding after a couple of pages but I'm glad to be proven wrong in my assumption

anyway, it's all that I hoped for and I'm dying to see what the modders will make out of this

(one thing to be sure off: the annulment event in DG and M&T will suddenly be a whole lot simpler)

I notice that your new spouse doesn't have a character description, as new rulers do, only "Marriage! Amalia is our new Empress-consort"
I think it would add some nice flavour if they also have a brief description of their skills and personality.

Reactions: