• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You did quite well with Uesugi > Japan. Was playing a game this weekend as Brunswick > Hannover > Germany, and reminded me of this AAR because I saw Uesugi taking over Japan :)

Definitely looking forward to the next AAR though, a mega-campaign from CKII to Vikky will be quite the interesting undertaking!

Fair enough -- any house rules you want to stipulate?

You may not convert away from Norse, no matter what. Either Norse or Death!

You may not convert away from Norse, no matter what. Either Norse or Death!

I wonder if it's too late to go back and declare someone else the winner... ;) :D

Can you give me a hint about where this character is, incidentally?

I wonder if it's too late to go back and declare someone else the winner... ;) :D

Can you give me a hint about where this character is, incidentally?

In the 867 start, he is the man who holds Jorvik/York in England. He is an OPM with some event troops, and starts at war with the English nations.

As a somewhat decent sized Norse Empire, imprisoning any and all priests coming along should keep you pretty safe. Priests are by far the best sacrifice for your seven-yearly blot - free, reliable (at least later on) and no warfare needed. ((Raiding stops the frequent wars penalty)).

There's something satisfying seeing Japan as the biggest naval power. I guess you needed plenty of extra ships because some were guaranteed to be sacrificed.

Too bad you're not continuing on into Victoria II. As the 8th strongest nation, you'd get to be a great power. ;)

great AAR, and looking forward to this Norse one; I've always tried to get into games as Norse characters in CK2, but I've always had trouble keeping the realm together and often end up with a Game Over fairly quickly (I'm not a particularly good player with smaller countries)

and your narrative AARs are some of the easiest to follow

Too bad you're not continuing on into Victoria II. As the 8th strongest nation, you'd get to be a great power. ;)

I'd guess secondary power myself. He'd get a solid military score and some decent starting prestige, but the lack of buildings would mean starting with little industry (well, assuming the converter got industry put in before converting)

In the 867 start, he is the man who holds Jorvik/York in England. He is an OPM with some event troops, and starts at war with the English nations.

Thanks! I will definitely take a look at him soon. He sounds interesting.

Darn, I think I am far of in my bid on you being no. Uno in military power.

Sorry. :D

As a somewhat decent sized Norse Empire, imprisoning any and all priests coming along should keep you pretty safe. Priests are by far the best sacrifice for your seven-yearly blot - free, reliable (at least later on) and no warfare needed. ((Raiding stops the frequent wars penalty)).

Good advice! I haven't touched CKII since... well, my last CKII AAR. I have a feeling I've a lot to learn.

There's something satisfying seeing Japan as the biggest naval power. I guess you needed plenty of extra ships because some were guaranteed to be sacrificed.

Idhrendur might be right; he makes all of the wonderful converters, so I'm inclined to side with him.

great AAR, and looking forward to this Norse one; I've always tried to get into games as Norse characters in CK2, but I've always had trouble keeping the realm together and often end up with a Game Over fairly quickly (I'm not a particularly good player with smaller countries)

and your narrative AARs are some of the easiest to follow

Thank you very much! High praise indeed. :) I did, shortly after buying the Old Gods, play a game with Rurik that I really enjoyed. Not sure why I never finished it.

I'd guess secondary power myself. He'd get a solid military score and some decent starting prestige, but the lack of buildings would mean starting with little industry (well, assuming the converter got industry put in before converting)

Yeah, the buildings would be my weakness. I only started building them with any sort of plan towards the end.

So, I'm going to try to squeeze in some CKII tomorrow, and possibly start the new AAR on Saturday. I'll post a link here when I do, of course!

So, I'm going to try to squeeze in some CKII tomorrow, and possibly start the new AAR on Saturday. I'll post a link here when I do, of course!

If you hadn't already planned to do so, I highly recommend the beta patch. Without it, pagans cannot raid other pagans.

If you hadn't already planned to do so, I highly recommend the beta patch. Without it, pagans cannot raid other pagans.

I didn't even think of checking for one! Thanks for the heads up!

just randomly throwing out that I like your gameplay AAR's over narrative AAR's, but that's mostly my strategic me that talks :).

I enjoy writing narratives more, most of the time, and a pure gameplay AAR in CKII almost seems like sacrilege. However, I will say that gameplay AARs are easier to write and very well suited for EU IV and HOI 3 in particular.

I enjoy writing narratives more, most of the time, and a pure gameplay AAR in CKII almost seems like sacrilege. However, I will say that gameplay AARs are easier to write and very well suited for EU IV and HOI 3 in particular.

Well you could always try to find a good balance between the two. I'd definitely have to agree though that you'd want to focus more on narrative for CKII since it's all about the characters and their families. You can always do what you did with your Hohenzollern one, since that one was great. :)

Congratulations! Who knew Russia was not only super populous, but also stinking rich? :eek: In any case, Alaska's final victory shows all your –naval– sacrifices were not in vain :) That trade figure is astonishing too, nearly double your tax take.

Best of luck on your new AAR!

Well you could always try to find a good balance between the two. I'd definitely have to agree though that you'd want to focus more on narrative for CKII since it's all about the characters and their families. You can always do what you did with your Hohenzollern one, since that one was great. :)

Thank you for the kind words! I definitely think CKII will be more narrative, at least to start.

Congratulations! Who knew Russia was not only super populous, but also stinking rich? :eek: In any case, Alaska's final victory shows all your –naval– sacrifices were not in vain :) That trade figure is astonishing too, nearly double your tax take.

Best of luck on your new AAR!

Not sure if sarcastic... :unsure: ;)

Thanks, and I do hope you'll join us when it's up!

I apologize for how long it's taken me to get started with the new AAR. I'm going to at least take a look at CKII tonight (just got the new beta patch) and will proceed accordingly. The introductory update will be up no later than Monday.

Looks like I did a great job of catching up here! :p

I'll have a lot of time next week to be able to catch up, but until then, congratulations on finishing, and good luck as you plan your next creative endeavour!

Avindian, I had an awesome/mad idea for your new AAR: All decisions are made via a magic eight ball!

Chaos ensues!

Looks like I did a great job of catching up here! :p

I'll have a lot of time next week to be able to catch up, but until then, congratulations on finishing, and good luck as you plan your next creative endeavour!

Thanks very much!

Avindian, I had an awesome/mad idea for your new AAR: All decisions are made via a magic eight ball!

Chaos ensues!

Yeah... I think we'll stick with mad. :D

Had a chance to at least get somewhat oriented in the new kingdom, so I shall begin the AAR later today. A link will be posted here!

Lovin those maps, especially Europe. Great to see how the game can turn out when the player isn't interfering in the early stages. Crazy powerful Hansa and Bohemia, Poland doing fairly well, what the hell happened to Sweden!?! Ireland amuses me - it looks almost identical in 1821 as it does now in the RW...

Trade's a great idea, I find myself almost always taking it first. It can provide a great foundation for any future plans, giving you the income you need to fund your colonies, building programs, armies etc. Haven't played Japan yet (though I'm now very tempted), but I suspect I'd pick Trade first, then either Exploration or Innovative second.

While seeing this in Vic 2 would be great, I'm really looking forward to seeing your CK2 AAR. Currently playing an Alt Clud campaign I'm considering writing up, I'd love to see the situation from the 'other side' as it were.