• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tnick0225

Field Marshal
3 Badges
Feb 21, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
The Return of the Welfs
Rebuilding a Family

Coat_of_Arms_of_Brunswick-L%C3%BCneburg.svg
Welf Coat of Arms

The Welf's well they are pretty darn renowned. I didn't even know they really existed as playable characters until I started a game as Alberto Azzo the II d'Este of Lombardy. While playing him I noticed something amusing, his eldest son an illegitimate bastard he sired via Kunigunde of Altdorf was a Welf. So I dug a little bit and saw that Mr. Welf Welf became Duke of Bavaria in 1070 due to his marriage to Ethelinde von Nordheim, and well also due to her father's treasons against the Kaiser. So as much as I enjoyed being the d'Este's I decided that the Welf's well that would be quite the intriguing game. And so I started.

January 1, 1070 is when I start the day the game gives Bavaria over to Welf, who according to sources is listed as Welf IV in the Welf lineages, but is Duke Welf I Welf as far as regnal numbers in Bavaria go.

My goal in the game is to return them to positions as power, maybe not my direct character, but the Welfs definitely need some thrones to sit upon. As the Elder House of Welf as they are known in sources were Kings of Burgundy. Married heavily into House Karling, so I think a secondary goal will be to bring the Karlings back if I can manage such a ploy.

As far as the patrilineal side of the family being the d'Este, they are a proud and ancient Italian house, Roman of ancestry dating back to the ancient family of Atii. So there are many things to do. I will be trying to keep the d'Este's around as well, and who knows maybe try to help them rise if I can as well.

With all that said here are some links to the dreadful wikipedia, and other places on the Welf's and d'Este.

Britannica entry on the Welf Dynasty
Wiki on Duke Welf I
Wiki on House of Welf
The Guelph and Ghibellines Feud Wikipedia

Not sure which style I will be using in this AAR yet probably a first person gameplay/journal type of deal, with overviews of world events and such things that seemed interesting during the game.

FYI I've been notorious for not finishing anything I've started so encouragement is most definitely appreciated.

Just found this actual current family tree, didn't really realize the Welf's were still around to this day, come to find out they're called Hannover these days. But awesome family tree here:

Welf Tree

Another fun thing of information that details the House of Hanover/Welf/Este/Lucca patrilineally back to ca. 700AD:

Patrilineal Ancestry of the House of Hannover

Last edited:
Table of Contents​

The Journals of Welf IV
Prologue: The Road to Bavaria
Chapter I: The Precarious Position of a New Duke
Chapter II - Servicing the Kaiser
Chapter III - The Beginning of the von Wittelsbach Rebellion
Chapter IV - The Fall of the von Wittelsbachs
Chapter V: The von Babenburg Crisis (Part 1: The Nurnberg Rebellion)
(Part 2: The Return to Munchen)
(Part 3: The End of the 2nd Revolt)
Chapter VI - Civil War in the Empire (again)
Chapter VII - Civil War Continues and an Ambition is Fulfilled
Chapter VIII - The War for Osterreich & Things Falling from Upon High
Chapter IX - Heresy, Prophecy and a Death in the Empire
Chapter X - After the Death of Heinrich IV
Chapter XI - The Lombard Campaign
Chapter XII - A Crown and the Fate of Ugo "Kaiser-Slayer" d'Este
Chapter XIII - An Experiment in Carinthia
Chapter XIV - Welf V Comes of Age
Chapter XV - An Awkward Family Feud
Chapter XVI - The Slow Decline of the King
Chapter XVII - The Final Days of the King

Welf V
Chapter XVIII - A New King Arrives in Munchen
Chapter XIX - A Visit With Reinhard
Chapter XX - In Defense of Apulia
Part 1: Arrival

Part 2: A Pox Upon House Welf
Chapter XXI - A Storm Begins to Appear Upon the Horizon
Chapter XXII - The Pox Wins in the End

The Interregnum
Chapter XXIV - The Interregnum Begins
Part 1: The Late Night Ride

Part 2: The Coup
Part 3: Election
Chapter XXVI - Administrative Tasks
Chapter XXVII - The Kaiser's Protection Comes to an End
Chapter XXVIII - Start of War
Chapter XXIX - Gotthard's Final Days as Regent
Chapter XXX - The Prince

Welf VII
Chapter XXXI - The Crown of Bavaria
Chapter XXXII - A Few Years of Peace
Chapter XXXIII - A Prince's Birthday Present
Chapter XXXIV - A Second Crown
Chapter XXXV - Feast in Salerno
Chapter XXXVI - A Heir is Born
Chapter XXXVII - Playing with the Peasants
Chapter XXXVIII - Imperial and Marital Politics
Chapter XXXIX - Ascension of Prince Lothar von Rheinfelden
Chapter XL - Ambitions Beginning to be Fulfilled
Chapter XLI - 1165
Part 1: Prelude to the Long Year

Part 2: Revenge
Part 3: The Spymasters
Part 4: On the Eve of the Coronation
Part 5: The Grandson of the "Kaiser-Slayer"
Part 6: The Feast of April Third
Part 7: Another Attack
Part 8: Surviving Assassination (again)
Part 9: Dawn of a New Year
Chapter XLII - Unraveling of a Plot
Chapter XLIII - The Rebellion of Nikolaus of Furth
Chapter XLIV - The Snake is Captured
Chapter XLV - Some Peace & Tranquility at Last
Chapter XLVI - The War of the Queens
Chapter XLVII - Death of Terezia
Chapter XLVIII - The Rise of Welf's Descendants
Chapter XLIX - Affairs
Chapter L - Kaiser Welf "the Careless"
Chapter LI - The Rapotonens Ascend
Chapter LII - The Revolt of Duke Bretislav II Premyslid
Chapter LIII - Bretislav's Surrender
Chapter LIV - Trivial Times
Chapter LV - Death of Empress Velasquita Jimena
Chapter LVI - The Kaiser's Third Marriage
Chapter LVII - A Jihad Fails, A Crusade Begins
Chapter LVIII - The Second Crusade for Jerusalem
Chapter LIX - The Return to Bavaria
Chapter LX - Death of a King
Chapter LXI - Welf of Toulouse
Chapter LXII - A New King of Hungary and Heir to the HRE
Chapter LXIII - The Last Words of Kaiser Welf

Welf IX
Chapter LXIV - Dawning of a New Era
Chapter LXV - On the Road to Munich
Chapter LXVI - On the Road to Munich - Part Two
Chapter LXVII - A Murder, a Death, and an Inheritance
Chapter LXVIII - Planning for War in Sicily
Chapter LXIX - Founding the Benevenetian Republic
Chapter LXX - War with Northumberland
Chapter LXXI - A Visit to Westminster
Chapter LXXII - The Inheritance of Almodis
Chapter LXXIII - Rumors from the East
Chapter LXXIV - Year of Weddings
Chapter LXXV - Taking Kiev
Chapter LXXVI - A New Generation Rises
Chapter LXXVII - The Scourge Arrives
Chapter LXXVIII - The Emperor's Infirmity
Chapter LXXIX - Of Cathars and Norwegians
Chapter LXXX - Tranquility Resumes
Chapter LXXXI - Interventions in Spain
Chapter LXXXII - The Sack of Constantinople
Chapter LXXXIII - Renewal of the Tyrol Feud
Chapter LXXXIV - Rewards and Punishment
Chapter LXXXV - Murder at Sea
Chapter LXXXVI - Aftermath of Regicide
Chapter LXXXVII - The Pope and the Emperor
Chapter LXXXVIII - Start of the Crusade
Chapter LXXXIX - Recovering From Defeat
Chapter XC - Amadeus's Plan In Action
Chapter XCI - Spoils of War
Chapter XCII - An Empty Treasury
Chapter XCIII - A New Horde Upon the Horizon
Chapter XCIV - A Slow Demise

Markward
Chapter XCV - Kaiser Markward
Chapter XCVI - Uncovering a Plot

Last edited:
The Bavarian Welf Branch List of Rulers

Duke Welf I Welf of Bavaria (January 1, 1070 - February 19, 1108)

*Crowned King Welf I Welf of Bavaria (September 20, 1088)
King Welf II Welf of Bavaria (February 20, 1108 - December 12, 1122)
King Welf III Welf of Bavaria (December 13, 1122 - October 4, 1127)
1 2 3Duke Welf IV Welf of Bavaria (October 7, 1127 - August 8, 1204)

Duke Welf V Welf of Austria (March 28, 1170 - April 22, 1179)
*Crowned King Welf Welf of Hungary (December 15, 1171 - August 28, 1200)
Duke Welf Welf of Toulouse (December 22, 1173 - January 21, 1245)
*Crowned King Welf II Welf of Hungary (August 28, 1200)
Kaiser Markward Welf (January 22, 1245 - ...................)

The Saxon - Welf Branch List of Rulers

Duke Lothar Welf of Saxony (October 22, 1129 - April 7, 1199)
Duke Lothar II Welf of Saxony (April 8, 1199 - August 4, 1217)
Duke Lothar III Welf of Saxony (August 5, 1217 - December 26, 1229)
Duke Lothar IV Welf of Saxony (December 27, 1229 - ....................)

Welf Kings of Anatolia

King Amadeus Welf (May 14, 1237 - ...............)

Welf Kings of Aragon

King Guntram Welf (October 3, 1245 - .................)

Usurpers of the Welf Crown

1King Albrecht I von Tyrol of Bavaria (October 7, 1127 - October 14, 1143)

Regents of Bavaria

2Regent Gotthard Rapotonen (October 7, 1127 - November 17, 1139)
3Regent Count Stefan Rapotonen of Passau (November 18, 1139 - August 11, 1143)

Last edited:
First! Good luck. Off the top of my head, I can't recall seeing a CK2 AAR devoted to this remarkable dynasty. Already in 1066 one can speak about returning them to power, while they are still going strong (sort of) in the present day. They are similar in this to the d'Ivrea (Anscarids), except the "heirs male" of the latter aren't so lucky.

I suppose you will have some additional incentive to form the Kingdom of Burgundy, won't you?

First! Good luck. Off the top of my head, I can't recall seeing a CK2 AAR devoted to this remarkable dynasty.

Why thank you!

Yeah I haven't seen one either which is what sparked the idea. Definitely a very remarkable dynasty, before I started digging into them I mostly only knew about them via Dante's Divine Comedy, since I loved that work.

So hopefully my AAR will be able to do the Welf's a little bit of justice and show them some love that has so far been absent :)

Still trying to figure out how to tackle the writing of it, but I'll get it figured out soon and hopefully have the first tid bit of a chapter installed later tonight.

Yeah I would like to form the Kingdom of Burgundy again as the Welfs and it will be one of my goals. But, unfortunately I'll be stuck in Bavaria for a while, due to Crown Authority and such, but when I can break free of it, or have the ability to I will be trying to bring all the Crowns Welf's held even once back upon their heads. Being Burgundy and Italy (at least there is a Welf King of Italy in the KoI history file). And if I do found those Kingdoms I may install another branch of my dynasty as their rulers, to see how they fare without me making all the decisions.

Last edited:
Prologue - The Road to Bavaria

Prologue: The Road to Bavaria

2012-12-15_00002_zps3c889b5d.jpg

Altdorf, a small cold dreary castle. It seems this is where my days will be wasted away. I should have inherited my Uncle's realm of Carinthia, but for some odd reason the fates aligned against me and no such Duchy would be secured in my grasp. It seemed that the fate of me, the Bastard sired by the lustful Alberto Azzo of Lombardy and my dear mom Kunigunde Welf, would for all intents and purposes freeze in these high altitudes overlooking the passes into Italy.

I will admit it isn't all for not, however. As my dearest wife is Ethelinde von Nordheim, daughter of Duke Otto II von Nordheim of Bavaria, perhaps one day this marriage will prove fruitful and see me elevated to a station in life befitting a Welf and the son of the ancient Roman Attii's. I will admit it does look rather bleak. My father Duke Alberto Azzo II of Lombardy has since had several children, two legitimate one's thus far, by the names of Ugo and Folco. In fact dear brother Folco is already Count in neighboring Grisons. We get along well, Folco is definitely my favorite brother I must admit, and in a way I would almost be willing to see him inherit over Ugo.

With all that said, I descend from a long line of proud Germans. The elders of my House at one time were close friends and tied heavily by blood into the grand and magnificent Karling family. In fact for quite a while our proud dynasty ruled over the now non-existant Kingdom of Burgundy. And how I desire to once again hold the title of King. Such a title would once more catipult our family back onto the scene of Imperial Affairs.

It was on a dreary autumn day in 1069 that my Father Duke Alberto Azzo would come pay me a visit. A fateful visit from the aging man potency has never failed him in and out of the marital bed.

2012-12-14_00014_zps6303e2be.jpg

I recieved him in my not so grand abode of Altdorf with a fire crackling loudly and the sad Welf heraldry dimly lit above it. "To what do I owe this grand visit my dearest Father?" I ask hopeful, for he had not graced me with his proud presence since I inherited Altdorf so many long years ago.

"There is news from the Imperial Court and other whispers from Bavaria," he started, his elderly voice crackling yet full of power. "In fact it is rumored that an envoy from the Kaiser is on its way through the passes to seek your help."

I nod not truly sure what could be occurring, for a lowly Baron such as myself is not exactly privy to intrigues or knowledge of anything besides that of steel and blood.

"It's rumored, Welf, that your father-in-law Duke Otto von Nordheim, has plotted to kill Kaiser Heinrich IV King of the Germans, and the young Salian lord is seeking vengeance."

I perk up at this, it would mean that either the envoys from the Kaiser are coming to bear good news or bad. It could truly go either way. The Kaiser could feel that I have a legitimate right to take over the Duchy or he could be coming to take the traitor's daughter away from me.

"Any idea what the envoys intentions are Father?" I have to inquire, as it is quite pertinent.

"They say the lords of Bavaria have met in a council and all present agreed that they would be willing to submit to you as Duke."

I stand up quickly smiling, joyous, truly not knowing how I should react. Should I appear humble? Should I appear overjoyed? I do not know, but such an elevation and at the hands of the Kaiser and lords of whom I do not know is quite the grand thing to hear.

Me and my father continue to speak for many hours, well into the night until we retire to our beds. He leaves a few days later, and I already had my small household packing and preparing for our trip to accept the Duchy of Bavaria. It is then that the Imperial envoys appear in Altdorf, bearing a singular message not to me but to my wife. It went a little something like this.

"Ethelinde von Nordheim, daughter of the traitor, you have but one choice, deny your father's graces and his claim to Bavaria, or your husband shall divorce you if he wishes to ascend ever higher."

2012-12-15_00001_zps3fda5628.jpg

My wife being the loving woman she is, and ultimately thinking of the unborn children we may have together submitted taking vows of undying loyalty to the King of the Germans Kaiser Heinrich IV Salian.

After she did that we were invited to travel with utmost haste to Bavaria, for it was planned by the Kaiser that I should be annointed Duke Welf I Welf of Bavaria on New Years Day 1070, in the presence of the Lords of Bavaria at the current Imperial Retreat at Goslar.

***note screenshots of these characters are a bit further in time than the date designated, figured I would introduce what led to the elevation of Welf IV before getting into the actual gameplay.

Last edited:
Fantastic! Your de Forez AAR was the first I ever read, so, in a way, it's your fault that my writing has been inflicted in the world ;)

Also,

I think a secondary goal will be to bring the Karlings back

If two of us are trying, then I'm sure we can make something happen :)

A very nice introduction - I shall be following.

Why thank ya DensleyBlair, my de Forez AAR was the first serious serious attempt of mine to make one almost made it to game end but the patch broke it sadly. Glad you enjoyed that one though, I had quite a lot of good luck in that game. I doubt this AAR will see me painting the map but ya never know some odd inheritance could happen.

But I've been away for awhile quite a few months actually, but glad to have in a way unleashed your storytelling upon the PI Forums, so I will have to wander over to your AAR and read it a bit.

Best of luck, was one of my favourite dynasties back in CK1, but havn't been able to find the joy in playing them in CKII, hope you'll do better ;)

But I've been away for awhile quite a few months actually, but glad to have in a way unleashed your storytelling upon the PI Forums, so I will have to wander over to your AAR and read it a bit.

Why thank you - I look forward to seeing you there.

And as for not painting the map - as long as the story carries on in it's current vein, I couldn't care less :)

@Dovahking - Thank ya, the Welf's needed some loving. And the von Nordheims I don't know where my father-in-law ran off to in exile. But I haven't heard from them in a while. And well the Salians don't stick around too awful in the game either just to foreshadow a touch ;)

@A_Dane - Yeah I figured it'd be interesting just because of how important they were historically. But I will admit being any dynasty in the heart of the HRE, is well rough and quite boring at times. Once the CA gets jacked up there seems to really be nothing that can be done, except plot for the Kaiser's downfall.

@DensleyBlair - Glad your enjoying it thus far, hopefully I will be able to make it entertaining throughout the entire story. Also read the first few chapters of your Karling AAR this morning.

@mike the knight - I will be trying my best to honor their dynasty as best as I can. It is the HRE though going to be rough. Especially should I lose a lower CA War against the Kaiser.

Well, I've created Burgundy & Lothringen several times with the D'Ivreas, just never managed to get a fun game going as the Welf's sadly :(

But that's just me :p

@A_Dane - I may try a d'Ivrea game at some point and try to get them back on the Italian throne ;) that could be fun. But yeah the Welfs at least starting in Bavaria proves to be beyond challenging. But even though its not as exciting in game playing it, some things that happen down the road are going to make for a half way decent AAR, in fact there's lots of disappointment and disaster in the future, which I think when those things happen it makes the storytelling better.

But sadly those are a bit down the road in the story so probably be a while before it gets touched on in this AAR.

Chapter I - The Precarious Position of a New Duke

Chapter I - The Precarious Position of a New Duke

After being annointed Duke Welf I Welf of Bavaria at Goslar the Lords of Bavaria, myself, and my wife made a slow march down to our new homeland. It was an uneventful procession, stopping by a few other castles paying homage to other high ranking lords and ladies of the German courts along the way. One thing that truly bothered me at that time was not knowing the whereabouts of my traitorous father-in-law. Where had he escaped too? Why was he hiding from justice like a coward? Could I even trust my own wife?

Those questions would play throughout my head the entire journey back to Bavaria, where I would officially take the reigns of the administration and begin to exert my will upon the realm. But I would never feel secure so long as the former deposed Otto II wanders around Europe as a disgraced dog seeking comfort. And who could blame me? He could be hiding in the Premyslid court in Bohemia, working to acquire their help in retaking my new duchy. Or he could be hiding in blasted Swabia, or Carinthia (which would add insult to injury), or anywhere if truth be told.

As we approached Munchen (Munich) I decided it would be best if I ignored such aching suspicions and focused solely upon ruling my people. Paranoia isn't suiting a true Welf. In fact my uncle the former Duke of Carinthia would be ashamed to here of a mighty Welf being paranoid over such an insignificant man from an upstart house.

So I trusted what my conscience said and placed the von Nordheim question to the hands of the Lord. I am sure the omnipotent God would see him off to never threaten me nor my unborn heirs. Besides those heirs would be his grandchildren anyways so it'd be a sad day if he decided to steal Bavaria back disinheriting his own blood.

Once in Munich, welcomed by the peasantry and leading gentry, and other notable figures of Bavarian life we retired to the Council Chambers, for the first meeting my Privy Council.

To introduce a few our Chancellor is Count Dietpold Rapotonen of Passau, a man from a proud house I was told, and with a history of being slightly less than loyal servants. But, such petty shortcomings I will overlook as it is fairly obvious he is a grand statesman.

Our Marshal is Count Otto von Wittelsbach of Niederbayern, a true Bavarian to the core. He hails from a family that ultimately feels that they should be ruling over Bavaria, but unfortunately for their luck the Kaisers have never warmed to the von Wittelsbach dynasty and thus their fortunes have never risen. Hopefully this Count Otto won't seek to elevate his family at my expense.

Steward Baron Ludolf of Andechs, a large poor lower class family. They're known to be loyal to a fault. It is servants such as this family that empires can be built upon. I make a note of this, should they remain steadfast and loyal the von Andechs may one day see themselves lords over the proud von Wittelsbach and conniving Rapotonen.

The Spymaster recently appointed is my wife Ethelinde von Nordheim. I know with my worries of her father this seems well rather crazy. But since she is her father's daughter, I am sure she is most suited to protect me from plots. Especially from a plot contrived by Otto II.

Finally to introduce our Chaplain Bishop Giselbert of Freising, who is quite the pious man, and looks well in his priests clothing. He will be instrumental in winning the hearts and minds of the Bavarian Clergy.

With the those introductions out of the way we began to start talking about the current state of Bavaria. Apparently the Kaiser new I could be one of his most powerful and therefore threatening vassals, so apparently he deemed it necessary to only give me one county in the heart of Bavaria. So needless to say these Lords best not betray me, or see their petty fiefs consolidated.

Because of this and my former sad state as the Baron of Altdorf I had very little in the treasury only 60 gold. Hardly enough to do much of anything besides buy some lumber for a ratty ole pallisade wall.

Not to mention we are beset by other powers all around. To our North lies Bohemia. To consolidated to pick on. To our East lies Hungary, and to the South lies Croatia (a possible source of land in the future) and Cainthia. Carinthia is much too strong and would more than likely crush me even with the help of Lombardian Arms at my side. Finally to the West deceitful and despicable Swabia. They hold two counties that are part of Tyrol, a Duchy that I would very much enjoy laying claim too. But alas I need more, much more in the way of funds.

2012-12-15_00001germanmap_zps2ef71656.jpg

However my Chancellor draws one thing to my attention my Wife Ethelinde, will have a weak claim on the entire Duchy of Swabia should her mother die. I shake my head such a plot is not going to happen, besides at the moment even I know that the Swabian Duke is too strong for me. Which leaves one option and one option only. The Duchy of Austria, and the Duke's one little county of Osterreich.

A simple nemesis, however my Chancellor looks worried about this as the Duke's family also has land in Bavaria and could potentially lead to civil war. I smile at the thought. Yes, let one of my Counts enter the wrong side of one of my wars, I dare them.

I stand up at the head of the table, and begin, "Count Rapotonen make haste to Osterreich and begin fabricating claims on Austria. And if any of you Lords, shall ever question, or disobey, or plot against me and mine, you best make sure you win. Because if you don't you and your children will pay dearly."

*****note: meant to get into the actual game play and realized that this went on a little longer than I wished it too, it happens when I write. My mind and fingers take over and well you get a wall of text with one screenshot. I apologize. Next update will actually be game stuff and screenshots, I promise!!!

Last edited:
*****note: meant to get into the actual game play and realized that this went on a little longer than I wished it too, it happens when I write. My mind and fingers take over and well you get a wall of text with one screenshot. I apologize. Next update will actually be game stuff and screenshots, I promise!!!

I know the feeling well :)

A nice opening chapter - it's set the scene up nicely.

I know the feeling well :)

A nice opening chapter - it's set the scene up nicely.

I know right! Sometimes the muses just take over and hijack all you plans. But I guess setting the first chapter up like that works better anyway. Since in the next update I should be able to put in a year and a half to two years worth of events. Maybe more. Depending on the number of screenshots. There will start to be quite a few screenshots as I enjoy putting them up for the people that like to skim the material if they join the AAR at a later date.

I know right! Sometimes the muses just take over and hijack all you plans. But I guess setting the first chapter up like that works better anyway. Since in the next update I should be able to put in a year and a half to two years worth of events. Maybe more. Depending on the number of screenshots. There will start to be quite a few screenshots as I enjoy putting them up for the people that like to skim the material if they join the AAR at a later date.

IMO, this is a good idea :)

I find it hard to join text heavy AAR's when there's no pictures to give some hints of what's going on :(

IMO, this is a good idea :)

I find it hard to join text heavy AAR's when there's no pictures to give some hints of what's going on :(

Yeah it can be a little rough to get into a text heavy AAR. I just sadly had zero screenshots to throw in that chapter. But as I said that is about to change here in this update I will be adding here in a little bit.