• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dovahkiing

Watcher on the Walls
16 Badges
Jan 22, 2012
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Friends, Paradoxians, faithful longtime readers and neophytes alike, lend me your monitors.
I shall tell a tale, a tale unlike all the others, for it lacks true heroes. But what is life but a tale told by an idiot, a tale in which no one is truly a hero but some are true villains?
Some of it, the first part indeed, has been told, in another place, but it is only a miniscule amount of pressure on your rodent when it is hovering over this away.
But here it shall escalate; Where the Liege Lords were confined to the Old World of Europe, Rus' and North Africa, the Expanding Norsemen shall discover new worlds across the ocean and across the Urals and the Hindu Kush.
In this part empires shall rise and fall, governments shall change and old ways of thinking hanged from the lamp-posts.
So, beget yourself some black sugar water, or if you're old fashioned some good beer, for this tale shall engage you from start to finish.

(OOC: Well, guys, I've finally finished an AAR, that's the CKII part of this megacampaign. Don't be too excited over this initial post, it is a placeholder post, but in time there will be a table of contents and actual updates, probably early next week.)

Sounds very interesting, I haven't read the CKII part so I'll need to try and catch up with that, but I'm looking forward to seeing how your conversion goes!

Sounds very interesting, I haven't read the CKII part so I'll need to try and catch up with that, but I'm looking forward to seeing how your conversion goes!
Good to hear!
I'll definitely have to edit some things in the converted EU3 save, for instance the names of cities and provinces plus maybe add some tags for the Ilkhanate and some independent High Chiefdoms.

Good to see you finish the first part. Shall be waiting for the second part eagerly. Just don't translate everything... ;)

I'll be keeping a weather eye on this part, too, whilst I'm catching up on the CK section.

While you're waiting for the first update of Part 2 (probably coming on Friday), here's a complete PDF of all of the CKII portion, available for download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?q566gkkj5ssyx5x
Sorry that some chapters lack screenshots.

Thank you very much, matey.

Lurkers and readers are kinda of the same aren't they? :p
One click of the 'Post Reply' button is all the difference...

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing what you've got here.

I'm safely arrived :)

It'll be nice to follow this one from the beginning - and just as nice to finally venture into the EU AAR forums. I look forward to seeing what awaits the Norse in this chapter of the tale.

It is here.
Chapter 41:

Anarchy
Excerpted from A Saga Without Heroes, Volume 2: The New Worlds, by Erik Haraldsson, ©2013 Nidaros University Press.
Used with permission.
It was an era of change.
In Norway, the king, Halfdan II, had done something unprecedented since the feudal system had become dominant in Europe: He took over the entire realm into his hands, appointing non-hereditary governors who could be replaced and appointed at will of the king.
The decree doing away with the feudal system, Iustitia Regis, came into effect at midnight on New Year's Day, 1453.
The news soon spread to Scotland, where an embattled King Archibald II, of the usurping Irish dynasty, attacked by the Crovan king of 'England' in a struggle for his crown, adopted the system, and after his victory it was implemented in the entire realm.
But across the sea things were different. On hearing the news, the Norwegian lords of the Kingdom of France demanded protection from any similar act their king, Ossor av Poitiers, might be inspired to implement.
Ossor, fully aware that the elective system of inheritance in his realm would cause the downfall of his dynasty if he refused, assented, and the nobles kept their rights.
In the Mongol empires, though, the vassals had already long since taken their independence by the sword- the once mighty Golden Horde had been especially humbled by those.
But mighty they still were.
On the second day of 1453, still drunk on his triumph, Halfdan received the terrible news from the East:
eu3game2013-01-1316-51-29-94_zps3beac560.png

At first it was thought that mighty Norway would be forced to submit, but Halfdan mobilized the Germans and sent them to invade the Golden Horde's territories in Austria,
eu3game2013-01-1316-54-34-68_zps90903000.png

and even Poland, and after three years of struggle managed to convince the Khan of Khans to admit defeat.
But in 1459 he was less lucky, having been forced by a rapidly-emptying treasury to disband most of his troops, and surrendered to the Khan.
eu3game2013-01-1317-19-08-50_zps6557f14b.png

It was the opening shot of a generation of anarchy in the realms of the Ynglings.

In 1461 Halfdan Halfdansson, heir to the throne, took ill, and despite his father's uncontrolled spending on the best doctors in the world, the acme of fifteenth-century medicine was unable to save him, and he died.
This pushed the king into the arms of a certain courtesan whose name has been lost due to the primness of the royal chroniclers who are our major sources for this period, producing a son, whom Halfdan, motivated by the need of an heir, legitimized as Hakon Yngling.
It may be, as the pious chroniclers claim, that this sparked the great rebellion.
At a conclave of bishops at Rome in 1462, the assembled clergymen were split into two groups:
The Pope and his supporters who held the orthodox view that Jesus was not naturally conceived, but rather was the manifestation of God's Spirit on earth.
On the other hand, there was a group of radical dissidents who held that he was the biological son of Joseph and Mary, and for some reason lost to time this faction was called the Hus.
All the members of the Hus faction were summarily excommunicated for holding such a heretical belief, but the matter did not end their.
The Hus bishops returned to their dioceses, where they now openly preached their beliefs, and those who followed them became forever known as 'Hussites'.
When the king, whose meddling with strange women had been scandalously exposed to the public, announced his support for the orthodox papal view, it was the worst mistake of his life.
In various provinces from Jamtland to Lecce the Hussites took to arms to enforce their belief in the Natural Conception, fighting off the royal troops sent to put them down.
The Hussite rebellions would continue, on and off, especially during times of war, throughout the fifteenth and sixteenth century, destabilizing the realm significantly.

This instability was expressed further when a still grief-stricken and overstressed Halfdan died in 1465, causing a pretender named Niels to rise up in Spain, coinciding with yet another Mongol war.
Though the rebellion was ultimately crushed, it led to a still-greater disaster:
The Tyskeinvasjon, the German Invasion.
It had begun when Jaume III Wigeriche, the Rhienlandish king of Aragon, declared war on a now-adult Hakon for control of Dresden.
Desperate offers to surrender Dresden went rejected, and an expedition into Jaume's lands in Alcantara ultimately faltered, defeated by low supplies and cash.
Then, the banner of Aragon was flown over Tintagel when its troops invaded Cornwall, taking advantage of a scanty Norwegian garrison in the area.
This was the last straw. Unable to fight any more, Hakon signed the humilliating Treaty of Tintagel, surrendering Badajoz and Cornwall to Aragon plus a cash payment.
More rebellions followed, of heretics, peasents, disaffected nobles and particularists, and through it all Hakon retreated to his palace at Nordhamptaborg, which daily became more and more of a fortress, fearful of invasions by sea.
His heir, Christoffer, died, and although another son, Harald was born, it was doubtful he would be any better than Hakon.
As the thirty-year-mark since Iustitia Regis's inception, there was one question on every peasant, merchant and courtier in Norway's lips:
Who would be their savior?

Good to see the second chapter off to a start - and a very intriguing start at that. I'm unfamiliar with EU, so I'm afraid I won't be able to comment on much of what you are doing game-wise, but the writing is as good as ever. Interesting about the Hussites. As Gukpa said, I'd be interested in a political map - just to get an idea of what the empire looks like after conversion, and before it becomes to convoluted.

Good to see the second chapter off to a start - and a very intriguing start at that. I'm unfamiliar with EU, so I'm afraid I won't be able to comment on much of what you are doing game-wise, but the writing is as good as ever. Interesting about the Hussites. As Gukpa said, I'd be interested in a political map - just to get an idea of what the empire looks like after conversion, and before it becomes to convoluted.
OK, the game year is 1483 but I've lost some lands since 1453, so it's not exactly how it looked after the conversion, but when I get back from school today I may post a political map-
Stay tuned!