• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
whoa, awesome work. i really hope you're going to continue your work to the rest of the races/cultures. I personally am getting into the SoI so I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the Arab/Islamic world done justice, as most of what I am looking at in the vanilla seems to be Berber stuff or pretty much half-baked work. I don't blame the devs on that [surprise? xD ] the main goal of the game was the Christian world, still now that they've expanded to the Islamic one, I really am eager to seeing better portraits.

By the way, are you by any chance working from east to west format? does that mean we'll see Persian and the rest of the Arabic races next? >_> i'm of persian descent but am more or less "Arabic" other than that [don't even know persian even though i've been there for a couple of times xD they speak arabic there where i go to lol]

also are the turkish set out now in the newest version of your mod?

oh and i like the top row of your newest portraits the most :]

I have a question, based on your work on steppe people. Here's the scenario that I'm working on: It's 440AD. The Western Roman Empire is rapidly falling apart, and Britain is going its own way. A civil war rages between two factions, and Ambrosius, the loser, flees to Brittany. It seems that when he returns, he brings with him a household guard made up of some of the Alans who have settled in northwestern Gaul.

Meanwhile, Hadrian's Wall that divided Roman Britain from the northern barbarians for centuries have a mobile mounted strike force numbering at its height at 5000 men previously under the authority of the Dux Britanniarum. The story is that when Hadrian ordered his wall to be built, he recruited a mounted force among the Sarmatians whom he had defeated to keep back the Picts and Scots. Their descendants, apparently, still existed in what is now the Scottish lowlands.

It is from these two sources that ultimately King Arthur of legend formed his cavalry that defeated the Saxons, at least for a while. So any idea about how to represent steppe people living and fighting in fifth-century Britain, both in terms of portraits and units on the map? Thanks.

That guy in green in the middle is by far my favorite, though virtually all the others look great too, except perhaps the bald guy and the guy to the right of him; their eyes seem a bit 'off'.

The left (viewer's right) eyes are a skoche off, which will likely be in the next set of revisions after the Turks are completed.

whoa, awesome work. i really hope you're going to continue your work to the rest of the races/cultures. I personally am getting into the SoI so I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the Arab/Islamic world done justice, as most of what I am looking at in the vanilla seems to be Berber stuff or pretty much half-baked work. I don't blame the devs on that [surprise? xD ] the main goal of the game was the Christian world, still now that they've expanded to the Islamic one, I really am eager to seeing better portraits.

By the way, are you by any chance working from east to west format? does that mean we'll see Persian and the rest of the Arabic races next? >_> i'm of persian descent but am more or less "Arabic" other than that [don't even know persian even though i've been there for a couple of times xD they speak arabic there where i go to lol]

also are the turkish set out now in the newest version of your mod?

oh and i like the top row of your newest portraits the most :]

Thanks for the kind words. I am moving all around at the moment, trying to get the Turks done (which hasn't been implemented yet). After that, I'm likely going to do the Africans. Persians would be great to implement. If you happen to have or know sources about medieval Persian costume, that would be great. :D

I have a question, based on your work on steppe people. Here's the scenario that I'm working on: It's 440AD. The Western Roman Empire is rapidly falling apart, and Britain is going its own way. A civil war rages between two factions, and Ambrosius, the loser, flees to Brittany. It seems that when he returns, he brings with him a household guard made up of some of the Alans who have settled in northwestern Gaul.

Meanwhile, Hadrian's Wall that divided Roman Britain from the northern barbarians for centuries have a mobile mounted strike force numbering at its height at 5000 men previously under the authority of the Dux Britanniarum. The story is that when Hadrian ordered his wall to be built, he recruited a mounted force among the Sarmatians whom he had defeated to keep back the Picts and Scots. Their descendants, apparently, still existed in what is now the Scottish lowlands.

It is from these two sources that ultimately King Arthur of legend formed his cavalry that defeated the Saxons, at least for a while. So any idea about how to represent steppe people living and fighting in fifth-century Britain, both in terms of portraits and units on the map? Thanks.

Well, you could make the title holder of a mercenary band representing them use the Pecheneg set, which is the closest thing that I have to post-Roman collapse Asii people (Interesting side-point: The Greek and Latin name for the Scythians/Sarmatians were the As or Asii, from whence we get the name Asians).

It would be as simple as changing the graphical_culture to whatevergfx in cultures.txt and adding that to graphicalculturetypes.txt file. Or, keep the Pechenegs in the game, but use localisation to make them called whatever you want. The Pechenegs themselves wouldn't be misrepresented, because they have entered the world stage as a force yet. (I still believe their ancestors were part of the Western Gokturks/Oghuzz peoples northwest of Lake Baikal (so you wouldn't have to worry about them being present elsewhere in the game).

well just today I installed your mod, it looks stunning ingame, should have installed it earlier! your artistic style fits much better into the interface, now it looks like picture medaillons. now compared to yours, the vanilla face really look a bit too CG-ish. is there any chance you are going to polish the existing vanilla faces? don't know how you make your portraits, but maybe just give the vanillas some dodging and burning at least, we can see you know working with faces. :D that would be awesome. PI should contract you for this.
anyways, can't see the other culture sets you are working on. keep it up!

oh and I also got a question on the portrait for the boys: it looks a bit too much like a baroque depiction of a "blondy milky boy", not what you would expect for a "steppe face". so I guess this is a placeholder? or you are going to change the haircolor maybe? sorry, I didn't follow the progress and this thread, let alone read through it - I am a such lazy person...

well just today I installed your mod, it looks stunning ingame, should have installed it earlier! your artistic style fits much better into the interface, now it looks like picture medaillons. now compared to yours, the vanilla face really look a bit too CG-ish. is there any chance you are going to polish the existing vanilla faces? don't know how you make your portraits, but maybe just give the vanillas some dodging and burning at least, we can see you know working with faces. :D that would be awesome.

I may or may not do the vanilla sets, in time. I could probably give them a once-over when I get to them. However, there is a small problem in that, while I could totally do the vanilla ones, I couldn't technically touch the Mongol sets because they are not part of the base game. I could totally redo (as in recreate my own version) those too, but that's another 200+ hour task that I am just not down for.

PI should contract you for this.

I fuckin' wish. That would be awesome. You're also not the first person to tell me this. Eventually, I'm going to do custom loading screens in the manner of Angus McBride or Wayne Reynolds, depicting major battles and events. Maybe that would help my cause.

anyways, can't see the other culture sets you are working on. keep it up!

So far it's only the Turkic steppe peoples. Since you mention you didn't read the entire thread, it must be said that I am a very very busy person. I probably clock close to 100 hours of work a week, and try to find the time to do the modding whenever I can.

oh and I also got a question on the portrait for the boys: it looks a bit too much like a baroque depiction of a "blondy milky boy", not what you would expect for a "steppe face". so I guess this is a placeholder? or you are going to change the haircolor maybe? sorry, I didn't follow the progress and this thread, let alone read through it - I am a such lazy person...

It is intentional. The Cumans had light skin and were known for blonde hair (which is also reflected in the game assignment of colors for the Cumans/Kypchaks). The various names for them by Westerners usually translate to "blonde" or "straw-colored." While there is some academic debate as to whether this is in reference to hair color or the color of the horses they rode, the consensus is on the hair. I will probably make a different one for the Pechenegs too, since they were known to have dark hair. Just likely recolor the same one I have.

thanks for the thorough and quick answers. it's great having a community where people share awesome stuff with others. great stuff and you get good references anyway by making this, contract or not, maybe this gives PI the idea and sees that you are the man for them. fingers crossed. :D

subscribed to this, of course, and will take a peek every now and then, don't want to miss any possible update!

I hate to ask this but, what's the difference between folder 1 and folder 2?
Or rather, one is the full visor and one is the open mask thing, but which is which? And does it go without saying to choose only one?

Other than that, this mod is one of the most interesting ones that don't exclude other users (I don't have an online bank account so I don't have DLC)
Nice! :D

I hate to ask this but, what's the difference between folder 1 and folder 2?
Or rather, one is the full visor and one is the open mask thing, but which is which? And does it go without saying to choose only one?

Other than that, this mod is one of the most interesting ones that don't exclude other users (I don't have an online bank account so I don't have DLC)
Nice! :D

The difference is solely the flipped visor, which is in Package 2. In fact, the file is present in Folder 1, as well, tagged with "zzzz" at the end, which was accidentally left there.

And, I won't make it dependent on DLC because I am not allowed to redistribute them. Otherwise, I would have probably done them myself. Thanks, regardless. :D

question, does this work with either the Prince and the thane or ck2+?

What Meneth said...

As long as they don't mind, I could host a cultures.txt file to make it compatible. I'll have to ask them.

If you're going to make it compatible for CK2+, you're going to have to make a version for regular CK2+ (which uses BLC Lite) and then a version for CK2+ with BLC.

I'm having huge framerate drop as of patch 1.6b, anyone else ? Maybe the patch did this ?
Also i can't change anything except the age with the ruler designer DLC :/

You already have permission for Balansegang ;)

And I know I first asked like, forever ago. I was going to finish it today, but just had a dinner party with my brother that I haven't seen in three years and forgot about it. I'll probably do it tonight or tomorrow, now that I've cleaned up.

If you're going to make it compatible for CK2+, you're going to have to make a version for regular CK2+ (which uses BLC Lite) and then a version for CK2+ with BLC.

And that's the reason I probably won't be able. Sadly, Shaytana's work and mine don't really match up. One of us would have to completely redo the portrait_properties.txt file and all the graphical sets (Unless PI actually makes the properties file modular, which would literally solve every one of those problems).

thanks for replying! :]

and i don't believe i have any, i can look, but i'm afraid i can't make any promises.

And if you don't, no problem. I literally just bought a bunch of history books to add to my collection, which should provide some help. (Any other modders actually use the game as a reason to purchase new historical literature? Maybe I'm in the minority here.)

I'm having huge framerate drop as of patch 1.6b, anyone else ? Maybe the patch did this ?
Also i can't change anything except the age with the ruler designer DLC :/

Well, I don't have the Ruler Designer. Since I have intimate knowledge of how the files work, I just save game code everything that I want (which is what I do anyway since all I do is mod. I've played the actual game less than twenty hours, haha). I would imagine since the files used in my set are not coded into vanilla, the Ruler Designer wouldn't work.

As for the framerate, if it corresponds to the latest patch, maybe something they introduced took up extra resources (like events and shit). I know that BLC had problems when introducing too many .dds files, but I haven't approached that limit in my mod yet. I am running this on a laptop and it seems to be running fine (I also haven't purchased SoI yet, so maybe some of the new mechanics ate up resources?!)

Allright thanks ! I thought it has been working before ^^' Well if you want details for anything, it is writing the date instead of the X/XX, and when trying to push the arrows to change this doesn't make anything.

I have SOI but without the mod it worked without framerate drop, like in 1.05... I didn't had any framerate problem with BLC, but i don't know, are your mod very ressource-consuming ?

Again, thanks for the quick answer, and your mod is awesome, great work !

Allright thanks ! I thought it has been working before ^^' Well if you want details for anything, it is writing the date instead of the X/XX, and when trying to push the arrows to change this doesn't make anything.

I have SOI but without the mod it worked without framerate drop, like in 1.05... I didn't had any framerate problem with BLC, but i don't know, are your mod very ressource-consuming ?

Again, thanks for the quick answer, and your mod is awesome, great work !

My mod isn't too resource-consuming. BLC has a lot more changes than mine. Assuming that you are capable of playing BLC without issue, the same should be true for mine.

I'm gonna try again and give you feedback, am i the only having this issue with patch 1.06b ?

EDIT : Well don't ask me how, but i re-installed (for the third time) the mod and now it works perfectly fine ...

I feel a bit dumb to have take your time but i thank you for the quick answers and the will to help ! Your mod is great, keep going the hard work ! :)

I have one last question still, is it compatible with the full version of BLC ? Thanks in advance !

Last edited: