[Mod] Dharmachakra - An Indian and Dharmic Religion Improvement mod

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Introduction post

vyshan

Retired Kaiserreich Developer
84 Badges
Mar 30, 2011
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Empire of Sin
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour

1asZePX.jpg

Download
Steam Workshop | Paradox | Github (Manual)
Current Version: 1.0.2 “Chandra” (Released 29/09/20, compatible with vanilla patch 1.1.*)​

Dharmachakra is as the title indicates a mod dedicated to India and the neighboring Regions like Tibet and Burma, as well as the Dharmic Religions of Buddhism, Jainism, and Hinduism and the religions that have been influenced by them. There is a new religious map, tweaked tenets and doctrines, bald Buddhist monks and nuns, and more.

I welcome any and all feedback - I am still getting the hang of CK3 modding atm. So please let me know if you encounter any bugs, find things imbalanced, if you have any suggestions, or anything else about the mod. I hope to add more decisions, events, and mechanics with future updates to the mod.

Feel free to use my work in your mods - all I ask is that I am credited and (if possible) to give me a heads up.

Features
These are some of the features of the mod.
  • New religious map for India and Burma in 867 and 1066​
  • New Hindu Sects of Suyraism and Shrautism​
  • Bald Buddhist Monks and Nuns​
  • Digambara and Yapaniya Jains are only naked if they are monks​
  • Buddhist and Jain temple holders and court chaplains are monks​
  • new tenet set up for Jains​

Last edited:
  • 18Like
  • 8Love
Reactions:
Thank you for the mod!

It´s very nice to see a mod in an often quite neglected, but so very interesting, area of the map.

If i may offer a small critique; I think some information on the new hinduistic sects and what exactly has been changed in jainism might be informative.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hi can't wait for your mod! India is my favourite place and I love anything that enriches it.

Can I ask that you rename Suryaism to Saura? That is the endonym for the followers of Surya.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thank you for the mod!

It´s very nice to see a mod in an often quite neglected, but so very interesting, area of the map.

If i may offer a small critique; I think some information on the new hinduistic sects and what exactly has been changed in jainism might be informative.
Sure.
Jain Info:
  • Svetemabara Jains tenets are: Monasticism, Dharmic Pacifism, Vows of Poverty
  • Digamabara Jain tenets are: Monasticism, Dharmic Pacifism, Ritual Hospitality
  • Yapaniya Jain tenets are: Monasticism, Dharmic Pacifism, Sallekhana(Consolamentum)
  • Dharmic Pacifism now allows you to meditate in seclusion.
  • Jains are now Pluralistic instead of Righteous
Hindu:
  • Suryaism: Sun Worship, Esotericism, and Inner Journey
  • Shrautism: Ritual Hospitality, Legalism, and Esotericism
  • Shaivism: Reincarnation, Monasticism, Esotericism
I changed Shaivism's tenets to reflect that Shaivism was one of the traditions that developed Tantric Practices, and I want to down the line include some stuff about Tantric Esoteric practices for the traditions of Buddhism and Hinduism that developed and practiced them. :)

I have a number of plans for improving things in the future including a more involved Bhakti movement, wandering jains, Buddhist retreats, and more. :)

plz make it available for steam workshop
Sure I will put it on the Steam Workshop later today.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Hi can't wait for your mod! India is my favourite place and I love anything that enriches it.

Can I ask that you rename Suryaism to Saura? That is the endonym for the followers of Surya.
Sure I can do that.

Could you include comparisons with the vanilla so we can see the changes. How does the change in tenets effect the meta balance, is there now a new most powerful form of Hinduism?

As for the meta balance, I haven't seen a single most powerful religion, usually in my test games I would see blocs forming, Shaivism in Southern India and either Vaishivinism or Srikula Shaktism in the northwest. Still if there are any balance issues that you or others find, let me know. :)

One thing I do highly recommend is to play on slower conversion speeds. This way the more diverse nature of India can be maintained. As default speeds go far faster then what should happen IMO.

Here is 867 vanilla vs mod
6YabDd3.jpg

Here is 1066 Mod vs vanilla
mRLx2qr.jpg

Also if there are any suggestions for the religious map, feel free to let me know. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sure.
Jain Info:
  • Svetemabara Jains tenets are: Monasticism, Dharmic Pacifism, Vows of Poverty
  • Digamabara Jain tenets are: Monasticism, Dharmic Pacifism, Ritual Hospitality
  • Yapaniya Jain tenets are: Monasticism, Dharmic Pacifism, Sallekhana(Consolamentum)
  • Dharmic Pacifism now allows you to meditate in seclusion.
  • Jains are now Pluralistic instead of Righteous
Hindu:
  • Suryaism: Sun Worship, Esotericism, and Inner Journey
  • Shrautism: Ritual Hospitality, Legalism, and Esotericism
  • Shaivism: Reincarnation, Monasticism, Esotericism

I think you did a sensible job here. Three Tenets, without modding, are not much and make it quite hard to even remotely depict the religions well. But for the jains specifically it annoyed me that Sallekhana wasn´t used at all, despite it being an interesting feature of their religion, them also being unable to meditate and their very tolerant religion being not pluralist. By adding Meditation to the Pacifism you also changed a tenet, which seemed almost like a downside, into something more interesting.

Creating Suryaism and giving followers access to Sun Worship is also a neat way to let people use an otherwise practically unavailable tenet.

• 1Like
Reactions:
One obscure movement that maybe could be added is Ājīvika. They were a major rival of early Buddhism and Jainism during the time of the Mauryan Empire. Their thought to have maybe survived til the 14th century CE in the southern Indian states of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
Not much is known about Ājīvikas as the original scriptures of the Ājīvika school of philosophy are lost and what is known about them is secondary sources form Jains and Buddhists.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ājīvika

Last edited:
Looks sweet. In terms of compatibility, anything to look out for? Rather, what files does the mod touch? Might be helpful to include that in the desc just in case.

Are you planning on revising Afghanistan? Because most of Afghanistan should be (Sunni) Muslim in 1066.
Wasn't planning on it exactly, but Afghanistan is possible to do. That would probably be as far west as I would go for this mod though.

Looks sweet. In terms of compatibility, anything to look out for? Rather, what files does the mod touch? Might be helpful to include that in the desc just in case.

Sure here is the list of files with same name as vanilla atm:
  • 00_council_positions
  • 00_divinity_custom_loc
  • 00_title_holders
  • 00_government_types
  • 00_core_tenet
  • 02_doctrine_special
  • 00_buddhism
  • 00_hinduism
  • 00_jainism
  • 00_animal_effects
  • 00_councilor_triggers
  • 01_clothing_triggers
  • pilgrimage_events
  • heresy_events
  • pet_custom_l_english
  • religion_buddhism_l_english
  • council_l_english
  • the various history files relating to india counties and characters
I am going to try and get them to their own files; especially the animal stuff. The animal stuff is there because you can get your pet elephant, similar to dogs and cats, because I thought that it wasn't fair to be in India and the surrounding regions with the elephants there and not have it as a pet(I wanted this before the game came out even) :p

Only thing I can say to you is thank you...thank you very very much.
You are welcome. If you got suggestions or ideas, or feedback of any kind feel free to let me know :)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
bug I'm not able to fire councilors.
Ah I found the bug and have fixed it on my end. If you or anyone else finds any other bugs, let me know and I will try to get the patch out by friday/this weekend :)

@vyshan Thanks for the heads up. Judging by a very quick cursory look at the animal effects it seems like something that might be possible to isolate in a separate file to ensure better compatibility.

• 1Like
Reactions: