• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Introduction post

vyshan

Retired Kaiserreich Developer
84 Badges
Mar 30, 2011
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Empire of Sin
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
893EB2AD09E4A79787C3609776663E36AC0CFB4E

Download
Steam Workshop | Github (Manual)
Current Version: 2.0.0 "Frankia" (Released 12/14/2023)​

Feudal Tapestry is a western european overhaul mod focusing on improving the historical flavor of Western Europe. From cultures to events to activities to titles, I hope to try and make Western Europe more flavorful and better.

If you find any bugs or issues do let me know and I will try to fix them to the best of my ability. If you have ideas or suggestions for improvement do let me know, as I welcome all feedback provided that it is constructive feedback.

Feel free to use my work in your mods - all I ask is that I am credited and (if possible) to give me a heads up.

Features
These are some of the features of the mod.
  • revised cultural set up for the British Isles for both 867 and 1066
  • the Heptarchy is a thing in 867
  • different duchies for the anglo-saxons and norman adminstration
  • Cultural evolution of English and Scottish cultures happen later
  • the lands of the british isles use localized names for their lands
  • Ireland is Catholic not Insular
  • Different de jure set up in 867 and 1066
  • Narrative events for William the conquer's conquest
  • A bookmark where William the conquer is king(december 25th 1066)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Version: 1.0.0 "Brytenwalda"
Latest Version: 1.0.0 "Brytenwalda" (Released 07/06/2023)
Download
This is the first release and focuses on the British Isles. The name Brytenwalda means britian rule or possibly wide ruler. The focus here is on improving the content for both 1066 and 867. It isn't strictly an England flavor mod, even if that gets the lion share of content.

as a side note: originally the mod was going to be called Brytenwalda and just be a British isle mod, but I decided to change the name and focus on a grander scope due to how intertwined the realms of Western Europe where with one another.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Really cool to see your efforts. Looking forward to test the mod.

I have a request. Could you add more county level vassals to 867 England? Because currently we have a lack thereoff.

I despise how badly Paradox did the setup of Britain in the game. While this is a vast improvement, I'm gonna be that guy and nitpick.

• Herefordshire and Shropshire should most definitely be Mercian culture in 867, this is after Offa's Dyke and while there remained populations of Welshmen in those regions even in the times of the Normans, they were a very small minority. These future shires were part of the Mercian Sub-Kingdoms of the Magonsaete and Wraeckonsaete.
  • Strathclyde should probably be named Alt Clud at the game start as the sack of 870 hasn't happened yet, and thus the Kingdom is still based on Dunbarton Rock, aka Alt Clud. It's only after this sack that the kingdom's base of power relocates and becomes known as Strathclyde, now with a more Norse and a slight Gaelic tinge as many of these people (especially Norse) begin settling in within the Kingdom.
  • Cumbria/Cumberland should probably not be Cumbrian culture in 867 and should not be part of de jure Alt Clud this early on. The conquest of this region by the Britons occurred in the early 900s or the 910s after Lady Aethelflaed was disrupting the business of the Danes of Jorvik. According to what I've read the region was mostly Anglo-Saxon in 867 with a small Cumbrian minority which once Strathclyde conquered it, reasserted their dominance and basically began assimilating the Northumbrians of the region, just as they once did to the former Cumbrian majority.
  • Devon was firmly within the control of Wessex by 867 and should probably be West Saxon cultured during this start date as its Aeldorman and his fyrd were very prominent during those times, even defeating Danes without the King's help, even if the city of Exeter itself was more or less half Saxon and half Cornish. By 1066 it needs to be Anglo-Saxon though, as it had been more than a century since King Athelstan drove the Britons out of Exeter in a way that some writers describe as something resembling a genocide.
  • Dunholm and Bernicia need to be Anglo-Saxon culture in 1066 like the Duchy of Lothian is, not Anglo-Dane/Norse. The entirety of the former Kingdom of Bernicia managed to remain mostly free of Danish and Norse encroachment unlike the former Kingdom of Deira. This region remained mostly independent and free of Scandinavian influences, being ruled by Northumbrian Aeldormans all the way up to Athelstan's annexation of it.
  • Derby needs to be Anglo-Dane/Norse as that was one of the famous Five Boroughs that made up the Danish power in the Midlands. Even its name and origin are Scandinavian in nature. Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire, and Huntingdonshire too should be of this hybrid culture as they were important Danish boroughs and adopted Scandinavian customs as did the Five Boroughs, East Anglia, and Jorvik.
  • In 867 Essex should probably be Mercian or West Saxon culture. Having East Anglian culture spread that far South just doesn't make much sense, especially if you won't make it part of de jure East Anglia which it more or less became after Guthrum's conquest. I'd argue it should be part of de jure Mercia as it was them who controlled the city of London and had been under Mercian influence for far longer than the West Saxons had held it. Still, I guess it's okay to leave that as is as Essex doesn't really fit in with either of the three kingdoms, so no setup is perfect for it.

Reactions:
I despise how badly Paradox did the setup of Britain in the game. While this is a vast improvement, I'm gonna be that guy and nitpick.

• Herefordshire and Shropshire should most definitely be Mercian culture in 867, this is after Offa's Dyke and while there remained populations of Welshmen in those regions even in the times of the Normans, they were a very small minority. These future shires were part of the Mercian Sub-Kingdoms of the Magonsaete and Wraeckonsaete.
  • Strathclyde should probably be named Alt Clud at the game start as the sack of 870 hasn't happened yet, and thus the Kingdom is still based on Dunbarton Rock, aka Alt Clud. It's only after this sack that the kingdom's base of power relocates and becomes known as Strathclyde, now with a more Norse and a slight Gaelic tinge as many of these people (especially Norse) begin settling in within the Kingdom.
  • Cumbria/Cumberland should probably not be Cumbrian culture in 867 and should not be part of de jure Alt Clud this early on. The conquest of this region by the Britons occurred in the early 900s or the 910s after Lady Aethelflaed was disrupting the business of the Danes of Jorvik. According to what I've read the region was mostly Anglo-Saxon in 867 with a small Cumbrian minority which once Strathclyde conquered it, reasserted their dominance and basically began assimilating the Northumbrians of the region, just as they once did to the former Cumbrian majority.
  • Devon was firmly within the control of Wessex by 867 and should probably be West Saxon cultured during this start date as its Aeldorman and his fyrd were very prominent during those times, even defeating Danes without the King's help, even if the city of Exeter itself was more or less half Saxon and half Cornish. By 1066 it needs to be Anglo-Saxon though, as it had been more than a century since King Athelstan drove the Britons out of Exeter in a way that some writers describe as something resembling a genocide.
  • Dunholm and Bernicia need to be Anglo-Saxon culture in 1066 like the Duchy of Lothian is, not Anglo-Dane/Norse. The entirety of the former Kingdom of Bernicia managed to remain mostly free of Danish and Norse encroachment unlike the former Kingdom of Deira. This region remained mostly independent and free of Scandinavian influences, being ruled by Northumbrian Aeldormans all the way up to Athelstan's annexation of it.
  • Derby needs to be Anglo-Dane/Norse as that was one of the famous Five Boroughs that made up the Danish power in the Midlands. Even its name and origin are Scandinavian in nature. Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire, and Huntingdonshire too should be of this hybrid culture as they were important Danish boroughs and adopted Scandinavian customs as did the Five Boroughs, East Anglia, and Jorvik.
  • In 867 Essex should probably be Mercian or West Saxon culture. Having East Anglian culture spread that far South just doesn't make much sense, especially if you won't make it part of de jure East Anglia which it more or less became after Guthrum's conquest. I'd argue it should be part of de jure Mercia as it was them who controlled the city of London and had been under Mercian influence for far longer than the West Saxons had held it. Still, I guess it's okay to leave that as is as Essex doesn't really fit in with either of the three kingdoms, so no setup is perfect for it.
thanks for the nitpicks. it is rather helpful. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
This looks interesting! I'll be sure to download it...

What are you planning on covering next?

I know mapping in-game culture to language isn't always the best, but If you want to split up early Anglo-Saxon culture according to dialect then Kentish would be the fourth sub-culture rather than East Anglian. Mercian would then cover all the land between the Thames and the Humber.

2.0.0 "Frankia" (Released 12/14/2023)
Latest Version: 2.0.0 "Frankia" (Released 12/14/2023)

This update expands to the empire of the Franks. This update revises the cultural set up in both 867 and 1066. In 867 The cultural evolution is still on going and in the middle of the divgerence from Frankish to French and Franconian. In 1066 that has already happened. Likewise the Empire in 867 is Frankia while in 1066 the lands part of the Holy Roman Empire are properly part of it.
Scandinivia also got a cultural update with the inclusion of the Geats and Gotlanders as parts of Norse divergence.

Change Log
  • revision of the cultures of Frankia and Scandinvia; franks now exist in 867
  • Revision of the kingdoms in western europe for both 867 and 1066 to better reflect history
  • Added decisions to create kingdoms of Gotaland, frisia, Lotheringia(1066), and Bavaria
  • Added decisions to consencrate and visit Holy Wells in Ireland and Scotland
  • Added a decision to consencrate and visit sacred groves for various pagan faiths
  • Added a decision for St. Andrew Way and St. Olaf's Way(1066 only)
  • Added a decision to create the Cinque Ports
  • Added a decision to donate to the Cluny Abbey
  • Added a number of new Special Buildings in France and Germany
  • Added some new potential hybrid cultures
  • added some new cultural traditions
  • Added some localization for various titles in europe
  • Lothair marriage woes and attempt to fix and partition of meerssen
  • Various Bug Fixes

• 1Like
Reactions: