• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bad_Haggis

General Secretary
75 Badges
Jul 23, 2009
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • March of the Eagles
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Saeculum Obscurum
A Late Antiquity Mod

SPQR_flag.png

Well somebody has to make a fall of Rome Mod that gets finished...

Released Version 0.22a
28/09/2013

Download Link : (When I fix the issues I'll post the new version, the current one doesn't seem to work with any patch).

---> Mod must be in the Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod or it won't work.

Note: This is a beta version of the mod and will contain bugs, errors and incomplete features. Still playable and enjoyable though.

Installation Instructions:-

-download the .zip folder.
-delete any previous version of the mod
-unpack the files into C:users\username\documents\Paradox Interactive\crusader kings 2\mod
(If you don't do that, then you will get blank events, and it's not my problem)
-tick the mod on the CKII launcher

The empire of Rome comprehended the fairest part of the earth, and the most civilised portion of mankind. The frontiers of that extensive monarchy were guarded by ancient renown and disciplined valour. The gentle, but powerful influence of laws and manners had gradually cemented the union of the provinces. Their peaceful inhabitants enjoyed and abused the advantages of wealth and luxury. The image of a free constitution was preserved with decent reverence. The Roman senate appeared to possess the sovereign authority, and devolved on the emperors all of the executive powers of government.
- Edward Gibbon

FAQ
:

What is SOLAM?

Saeculum Obscurum is a mod designed to depict the historical era between Late Antiquity and the Early Medieval period, within the confines of the Crusader Kings II engine. It focuses upon the late decline and fall stage of the Western Roman Empire, and the successor states to that Empire, although the other important Empires and peoples are also included. The main ambition of this mod is to make the era as historically accurate as possible, without sacrificing playability and fun.

Why is half the map blank at startup?

Various reasons, but don't worry it's working perfectly. There simply isn't the data avaliable about the Slavic and Finnic tribes in the area to give them many charactors, and I'd rather leave it random than make them up (at least for now).

Features:

I -A new start date, at the death of Theodosius I [395 AD] [WIP] and after the fall of the Roman Empire [476 AD] [Released]
II - A vast array of new Empires, Kingdoms and Tribes, from Sassanid Persia to the Pictish Kingdoms.
III - Graphical overhaul, including new UIs and changed Portraits.
IV - Hundreds, if not thousands of new (historically accurate) characters.
V - Adjusted laws ( I'll get into detail on this later, it's going to be a large part of how the various societies function).
VI - Many more plots & ambitions.
VII - Complete overhaul of cultures.
VIII - New & changed titles.
IX - An attempt to portray historical education systems.
X - New Casus Bellis (if you can pluralise that).
XI - Hundreds of events for the playable nations.
XII - Rejigged economic systems.
XIII - Complete change of religions, with Celtic, Graeco-Roman, Germanic, ect. Paganism.
XIV - The SWMH map, with special thanks to Il Moro, Axl Madness, Elvain, Bertuccio and Aasmul.

Changelog
Changelog:

0.22a-

* Many things that I cannot now remember
* Added in a few new decisions and events. If they cause CTDs I will cry.
* Gave the ERE two new merc units. They are way way OP, so I'll tone them down soon.
* Illyria, and Noricum changed, as well as a the Roman Province of Dacia.
* Added in some new Slavs, although they're only half done at this point
* Shiny new colours!

0.22-

* Various significant big fixes
* Partial intigration of Restauratio Imperii

0.21-

* Added events back in
* Added Laws back in
* Added a few decisions back in
* Added a Numidian Duchy and the Kingdom of Mauritania
* Gave the ERE a few counties back
* Made the Ostrogothic Kingdom Tribal

0.2-

* Fixed CTD issues (I hope)
* Added Retinues back in.
* Ambitions and Plots should work properly now
* Crown Laws, Succession Laws and Gender Laws added.
* Eastern Roman Empire now has correct De Jure territory (and now also called Eastern Roman Empire on the Empires Map).
* Western Roman Empire has also been given Illyria
* New Empire of Germania
* Some further localisation done
* Fixed a few cultural issues
* Religion areas overhauled
* Slavic Charactors now correct religion
* Changed Germanic & Anglo-Saxon portraits to the Norse ones (if you have the DLC).
* Added Imperial Reconquest CB for the WRE and ERE (not entirely working as of now, can only target the other Roman Empire).
* All religions should be playable, however Germanic pagans are not quite finished yet, and may cause CTD.
* Gave Germanic Pagans Invasion CB.
* Demoted several tribes down to duchy level, and made the titles tribal
* Added in several new Germanic Tribes
* Added in some new Slavic and Baltic Tribes
* Added in several Hunnic splinter groups
* Gave Basiliscus a claim on the ERE
* Gave Nepos a claim on Italy
* Gave Childeric a claim on the Ripurarian Franks.
* Added in the Kingdom of Francia
* Gave the Franks two titular tribes (Salians and Ripurarians)
* Integrated Ancient Religions mod.
* Added back in some vanilla events.
* Lots of other assorted minor edits

0.1b Hotfix I-

Now works with patch 1.111
Added the Heruli, Lombards, Gepids and other Eastern Germanic tribes
Made Ostrogoths playable (they will still CTD due to being Arian)
Assorted bug fixes

0.1b-

Upgraded Nepos to Western Roman Emperor (as is proper)
Gave the WRE de jure over most of it's former lands aside from Britain
Fixed duplicate building bug
Fixed missing capital bug
Localised Italy, Africa and Byzantium properly
Localised Orthodoxy and Germanic paganism properly
Fixed a few incorrect areas of Religious control

Codex I.a - Roman Culture and Religion

Codex I.b - Roman Adminstration

Codex I.c - Roman Military

Codex II.a - Introduction to the Celts

800px-Herculiani_shield_pattern.svg.png

Last edited:
Mods to be included;

Possibly some parts of CK2+
Some What More Historic 2.0
Building system from Lux Invicta (perhaps other bits too, who knows)
spartanlemur's Maniot/Roman polytheism revival mod
Better Looking Characters (possibly)
Vanilla Immersion, Events, and Traits
superskierpat's Ancient Religions

and others no doubt.

Currently Integrated

Syren's Nickname Mod
Mazdayasna Zarathushtrish - Zoroastrianism expanded

DLC that will be required;

Legacy of Rome I imagine, I'm not going to be making a separate non LoR release.
The Old Gods (if you want to play pagans / most of the world)
Sword of Islam (if you want to play the as ze Muslims)

Current Saeculum Obscurum Modding team (PM me if you feel left out)

Bad_haggis
riknap
Darkgamma
Zaldax
romeport
Chazzen01

My Thanks go to

riknap
nitroholic
Le Chivalry
Chlodio
Ofaloaf
spartanlemur
romeport
Nelfe
Darkgamma
Zaldax
Shaytana
Syren
Woody Man
Yazem
Wiz
Il Moro
Axl Madness
Elvain
Bertuccio
Aasmul
cybrxkhan
Maestro Ugo
superskierpat
Chazzen01

Last edited:
Brief description of each major civilisation or ethnic group:

ANGLES, SAXONS, & JUTES

The Germanic tribes of the Jutes, Saxons and Angles (referred to more conveniently as Anglo-Saxons) began to raid the shores of Britain as early as the second half of the 3rd century. Under simultaneous pressure from other invaders (Picts and Scots), the post-Roman rulers of Britain were unable to check such raids and some even sought out the help of the raiders. This allowed the establishment of several Germanic kingdoms on British soil, mostly in the south and east of England. Although some of these kingdoms occasionally cooperated against their British or Germanic neighbors, effective unification was elusive until the end of the 9th century.

Historiographical tradition labeled some of the kings as overlord (bretwalda), but this reflects fleeting and impermanent preeminence, until the mid-8th century, after which the kings of Mercia, and then of Wessex established a more effective suzerainty over their neighbors. In retrospect the hegemony established by Ecgbert of Wessex in 829 may be seen as the origin of the kingdom of England, which was fully established by his successors
over the following century.

BURGUNDIANS

The Burgundians (Burgundii or Burgundiones) were a Germanic tribe that crossed the Rhine into Gaul in 406 and became Roman federates (foederati) centered at Worms. In 436 the Roman magister militum Aetius crushed the Burgundians with help from the Huns, but the federate kingdom of the Burgundians reappeared further south in the regions of Dijon, Chalon, Lyons, and Geneva. It was divided on the death of king Gunderich in 473 but reunited under the rule of Gundobad, who succeeded his maternal uncle Ricimer as magister militum in the Roman bureaucracy, and is remembered as a lawgiver. The Burgundian kingdom was conquered by the Franks by 534, and became an inextricable part of Merovingian Francia. A separate kingdom centered on Orléans and Chalon under Guntramn, Burgundy was attached to Austrasia in 592 and then to Neustria from 613. During the disintegration of the Carolingian Empire in the 9th century the Burgundian lands gradually came to be divided into several segments, including what became the kingdoms of Burgundy and Provence (united in the 10th century and joined to the Holy Roman Empire in 1033), the duchy of Burgundy(within the West Frankish kingdom/France) and the county of Burgundy (within the East Frankish
kingdom/Germany).

IRELAND (ÉIRE)

Traditionally the clans of Ireland formed five major provincial kingdoms: Meath (Mide) in the center and east, Ulster (Ulaid) in the north, Connaught (Connacht) in the west, Munster (Mumu) in the southwest, and Leinster (Laigin) in the southeast. Divisions within the ruling clans led to the emergence of further polities, for example Brega (Breg) from Meath, Ailech and Oriel (Airgíalla) from Ulster, Bréifne from Connaught, and Ossory (Osraige) from Munster (although it is now generally grouped under Leinster). The kings of Ailech and Meath came from the Uí Néill clan and were closely related to those of Connaught, while the monarchs of Ulster, Munster, and Leinster issued from different clans. Provincial kings were occasionally bullied into submission by one of their number, and a notion of a “high king” gradually developed.

OSTROGOTHS (OSTROGOTHI)

The Ostrogoths (conventionally interpreted as “East Goths”) were a Germanic tribe that seems to have originated primarily from among those Greuthungi, who did not cross with the Tervingi into the Roman province of Moesia Inferior in 376. One of the two main divisions of the Goths, the Greuthungi had settled north of the Black Sea and formed an extensive tribal state prior to the arrival of the Huns in the second half of the 4th century. Integrated within the Hunnic confederacy, they fought against their Visigothic cousins in Gaul in 451. After the death of Attila in 453, his Gothic subjects became independent and entered the Balkan Peninsula as Roman federates, eventually settling in the former Roman province of Pannonia.

In 476 Odoaker (Odoacer in Latin), the “Scirian” commander of the barbarian federates, deposed the last Roman emperor in Italy. Now Odoaker, the son of Attila’s minister Edeko, became king of the barbarians in Italy and claimed to rule as a Patrician and servant of the Eastern Roman (Byzantine) emperor, but although he sent the imperial symbols to the imperial court at Constantinople, he failed to secure its trust. In the early 480s the Gothic groups in Balkans had become united under the leadership of Theuderich the Great, who was appointed magister militum (483) and later even consul (484) by the emperor Zeno. With Zeno’s blessing these Goths, who came to be known as the Ostrogoths, entered Italy in 489 and defeated Odoaker, before accomplishing his final elimination in 493.

PERSIA (ĪRĀN): SĀSĀNID PERIOD

The first Sāsānid king originally held the kingdom of Persis (Fārs) as vassal of the Parthian Arsacids. Following his victory over king Ardavān V, Ardaxšīr I took over the entire Arsacid Empire and seems to have claimed to restore the old Persian Empire of the Achaemenids. In the east the Sāsānids displaced the Kuṣāṇas, but were eventually defeated by the Hephthalite Huns in 459. A later alliance between Xusrav I and the Turks led to a defeat of the Hephthalites and the division of their territory, briefly bringing Īrān’s frontier back to the Oxus in c.557. The Sāsānids were considerably more successful than the Arsacids at checking Roman aggression from the west: the capital Ctesiphon was only sacked once in 283, while Sāsānid armies overran parts of the Roman Near East during the reigns of Šābuhr I (in 253/6 and 258/60), Kavād I (in 529–531), Xusrav I (in 540), and Xusrav II (in 604–628). Xusrav II was able to conquer Syria, Palestine, and even Egypt, holding them for several years. The Sāsānid monarchy was militarily powerful, but its authority was qualified by the powerful Persian and Parthian nobility and the Zoroastrian priesthood, interest groups that on occasion made and unmade kings, as in the elimination of Ādurnarsē and the selection of Šābuhr II in 309. Xusrav II’s defeat by the Byzantine emperor Hērakleios and his overthrow by his son Kavād II precipitated a dynastic crisis that developed fully on the death of the minor Ardaxšīr III. The period 630–632 included the reigns of about a dozen kings, some of whom were apparently contemporary rival claimants. The identity and genealogy of several of these rulers is not completely certain. Although the accession of Yazdagird III ended the civil wars in the Sāsānid Empire, the new regime failed to stem the Islamic conquest, which had apparently already begun. Losing the battles of Qādisīya (637) and Nihāwand (642), the Sāsānid dynasty retreated into Persia and Ḫurāsān, until the last king was murdered in Marw in 651. The entire territory of the Sāsānid Empire was taken over by the Islamic caliphate.

ROMAN EMPIRE (IMPERIUM ROMANUM, RŌMANIA)

Victor in the last major civil war of the 1st century BC, Caesar’s great-nephew and adopted son Octavius retained an enormous and disproportionate “influence” within the Roman Republic. In 27 BC Octavius claimed to restore power to the Senate and People of Rome (SPQR), but popular demand and the need for a single paternalistic figure to safeguard the security of the state ensured the perpetuation of his actual control of the state. Avoiding the politically dangerous titles of King(Rex) and perpetual Dictator, and wishing to lessen the extent to which he monopolized the desirable magistracies of the Roman state, Octavius based his authority on his “influence” and an ever increasing array of powers and mostly honorary titles. Octavius received the honorary title of Augustus (“revered one”) in 27 BC, the mostly honorary title of Princeps Senatus (“foremost man of the Senate”) in 28 BC, the office of proconsul in militarized provinces and the infinite powers of proconsul everywhere else (imperium proconsulare maius infinitum) and of tribune (tribunicia potestas) in 23 BC, the power of consul (imperium consulare) in 19 BC, the office of Pontifex Maximus (“greatest priest”) in 12 BC, and the honorary title of Pater Patriae (“father of his country”) in 2 BC. In addition, Octavius was saluted 21 times as Imperator (“commander”) from 43 BC, was consul 13 times between 43 and 2 BC, and on several occasions served as censor. The titles Imperator and Augustus were integrated into his name (in its final form, Imperator Caesar Divi Filius Augustus) and, like his impressive array of titles and powers, were adopted by succeeding emperors. Since this gradual accumulation of titles, offices, and powers constitutes the establishment of the imperial position within the Republic, it is difficult to indicate a precise point for the beginning of the de facto monarchy. The two settlements with the Senate in 27 and 23 BC have been used to designate the beginning of the first emperor’s reign. The former was the assumption of the name Augustus, which became synonymous with the imperial title; the latter was the beginning of his annually renewed tribunicia postestas, which was the basis on which he and his successors counted the duration of their rule. For chronographic purposes, however, 30 BC is a better starting point, as it corresponds to the elimination of Marcus Antonius and Octavius’ assumption of sole authority over the Roman world. While in constitutional terms that year is seemingly insignificant (though Octavius was then given lifelong tribunicia potestas ─ something later obscured by the annually renewed tribunicia potestas from 23 BC), this is the point generally adopted for the beginning of the imperial monarchy.

Roman imperialism had commenced long before the Roman Republic became a de facto monarchy under Augustus and his successors. All of Italy south of the Po had come under Roman control after the retreat of Pyrros I of Epirus from the south and before the outbreak of the First Punic War in 264 BC. In the aftermath of that war the western Mediterranean islands of Sicily (Sicilia), Sardinia, and Corsica came under Roman rule 241–237 BC. The aftermath of the Second Punic War resulted in the Roman conquest of Spain from 197 BC. Conflicts with Macedonia and the Illyrians led to the annexation of coastal Illyricum in 168 BC. The suppression of the revolt of Andriskos and the victories over the Akhaian League and Carthage in 146 BC resulted in the establishment of the Roman provinces of Macedonia (with Achaia) and Africa in 146 BC. Rome’s relations with foreign powers could achieve territorial expansion through amicable means as well: Rome inherited the kingdom of Pergamon from the Attalids in 133 BC (province of Asia in 129 BC), and later the kingdoms of Cyrenaïca in 96 BC (province in 74 BC) and of Bithynia in 74 BC. Roman expansion by military means nevertheless remained the rule, with the conquest of southern Gaul (by 121 BC), Crete (in 67 BC), Syria (in 64 BC), Cyprus (in 58 BC), northern Gaul (by 51 BC), and Numidia (46 BC). Egypt was conquered by Octavius in 30 BC after his victory over Marcus Antonius and Kleopatra VII at the battle of Actium (31 BC).

Subsequent annexations under the Empire included Moesia (29 BC), Galatia and Pamphylia (25 BC), the Alpes Maritimae (14 BC), Pannonia (9 BC), Raetia (by 8 BC), Iudaea (AD 6), Cappadocia (17), Mauretania (40), Britain (from 43), Lycia (43), Thrace (46), the Alpes Graiae and Noricum (by 54), the Alpes Cottiae (by 68). Almost all surviving client kingdoms (such as Pontus, Emesa, Commagene, parts of Cilicia) were annexed to nearby provinces in the 60s and 70s. The reign of Traianus (98–117) saw the high point of Roman expansion with the annexations of Dacia and Arabia Petraea in 106 and the temporary takeover of the client kingdom of Armenia and of Parthian Mesopotamia in 114–117. Septimius Severus (193–211) added Osrhoene and a part of northern Mesopotamia during his eastern campaign in the 190s. The end of the Severan Dynasty in 235 ushered in the Third Century Crisis lasting for 50 years during which no less than 25 emperors were recognized at Rome alone, not counting the would-be emperors proclaimed by their troops on the frontiers who never managed to gain control of the capital. This period corresponds to the increasing inability of the Roman Empire to preserve internal peace and prosperity and to protect its far-flung frontiers from external threats. The reversal of Roman expansion included the abandonment of the so-called Agri Decumati (a strip of Germania Superior beyond the Rhine) and the evacuation of Dacia in c.271. The erosion was temporarily halted in the 4th century, but the western portion of the empire was rapidly overrun by Germanic barbarians from the first decade of the 5th century. Starting in the reigns of Valerianus I and Gallienus (253–260), emperors exhibited a tendency of dividing the empire into eastern and western spheres of authority and sharing it with a co-ruler. This was confirmed in the Tetrarchy set up by Diocletianus (284–305), and became permanent in all but name after the division of the empire between the two sons of Theodosius I (379–395). Even after this, the empire was conceptualized as a single polity, regardless of actual political reality. Moreover, by the time of the Tetrarchy Rome ceased to be the true focal point of the Empire, as emperors were increasingly forced to spend time near the frontiers in order to combat foreign threats and rival bids for power among army commanders. While Rome remained a ceremonial capital of the Empire, emperors took up residence in Mediolanum (Milan), Ravenna, Nicomedia (İzmit), Thessalonica (Thessalonikē), and other important cities. After reuniting the Empire in 324, Constantinus I (306–337) inaugurated a new capital city on the site of ancient Byzantium, calling it New Rome (Nova Roma), later Constantinople (Constantinopolis/Kōnstantinoupolis, now İstanbul). Although Rome retained its ceremonial standing, Constantinople became a permanent capital for those emperors who resided in the East. After the collapse of the western portion of the Roman Empire in 5th century, the imperial government survived in the East and operated from Constantinople with only one interruption until its conquest by the Ottoman Turks in 1453. The 5th and 6th centuries were taken up with simultaneous struggles against the barbarians in the west and the Persians in the east. The same period also witnessed the appearance of major heresies including Nestorianism and Monophysitism that became entrenched in parts of the east in spite of imperial persecution. Iustinianus I (527–565) succeeded in recovering much of the west by conquering the kingdoms of the Vandals in Africa and the Ostrogoths in Italy but had to pay protection money to Slavs and nomads threatening from the north and the Persians in the east. This left the empire almost bankrupt and suffering from recurrent bouts of plague. In the 7th century Hērakleios (610–641) defeated the Persians but lost Egypt, Palestine, and Syria to the Arabs in the 630s and 640s. His successors attempted to stem the collapse of the frontiers by instituting the theme system by settling the field armies in militarized districts. The frontier was gradually stabilized under the Syrian emperors who, however, caused a growing religious split with the west by instituting Iconoclasm. During the 10th century the Empire’s military recovery reached a peak with the conquests of Cilicia, Armenia, and parts of Syria and the annexation of the rival empire of Bulgaria under Basileios II (963–1025). Factionalism at court allowed the defeat at Mantzikert in 1071 and the overrunning of Anatolia by the Salĵūq Turks.

VANDALS

The Vandals (Vandali) were a Germanic tribe that inhabited the area north and east of Rome’s frontier on the middle Danube by the late 2nd century, and some of them settled as Roman federates in Pannonia in the 4th century. When the Rhine froze over during the cold winter of 406/407, the Siling and Hasding Vandals crossed into Gaul together with Alans and Suebi. After plundering Gaul, all three groups settled in Spain in 409. Here the Siling Vandals took over the Roman province of Baetica, the Hasding Vandals shared control of Gallaecia with the Suebi, and the Alans held Lusitania and Carthaginensis. This continued until a joint Roman and Visigothic offensive in 416–418, which destroyed the Siling Vandals and the power of the Alans. The survivors sought the protection of the Hasding Vandals, whose power was thus greatly augmented. When they also tried to lord over the Suebi, however, the Vandals encountered determined resistance. The Suebi received Roman and Visigothic support and the Vandals and Alans were forced into southern Spain in the early 420s. Seeking to take advantage of a rebellion in the rich Roman province of Africa, the Vandal king Geiserich led the migration into North Africa in 429, conquering Hippo in 431. Unable to overcome the Vandals, the Roman government came to terms with them, granting them the status of federates in parts of Mauretania Sitifensis and Numidia in 435. But the Vandals were dissatisfied, and in 439 they attacked and took Carthage and the rich Roman province of Africa Proconsularis (with Carthage as its capital). A joint Eastern and Western Roman naval expedition against the Vandals in 440 never materialized, and in 442 a new agreement recognized the Vandals as federates in possession of Carthage with Africa Proconsularis and Byzacena. This left the Mauretanian provinces and most of Numidia under Roman rule, and in a sign of friendship Geiserich’s son Hunerich, an honorary hostage at the Roman court, was engaged to Eudocia, the daughter of the Roman emperor Valentinianus III. The murder of this emperor in 455 provided the occasion for further Vandal expansion: the Vandals immediately helped themselves to the rest of Numidia and the two Mauretanias, to Tripolitania, to Sardinia, Corsica, and Sicily, and sacked Rome. A great armada sent by the Eastern Roman (Byzantine) emperor Leo I to punish the Vandals in 468 was destroyed, and a new treaty regularized relations in 474. The Vandal regime was characterized by further alternating alliances and conflicts with the Romans, and Arian persecutions of the local Catholic clergy and population. But after the deposition of the pro-Roman king Hilderich in 530, the Vandal kingdom became the target of Eastern Roman aggression once again, and was conquered by the Byzantine general Belisarius in 534.

VISIGOTHS

The Visigoths (Visigothi, conventionally interpreted as “West Goths”) were a Germanic tribe that formed from the coalescence of the Tervingi and Greuthungi, who had escaped the advance of the Huns by seeking refuge in Roman Moesia in 376. After a Roman attempt to disarm them, they rebelled against Roman abuse, and defeated and killed the emperor Valens at the battle of Adrianople in 378. They were came to terms with the Romans and became federates under Theodosius I, but after his death in 395 the Visigoths, led by Alarich I, ravaged the Roman province of Thrace. Appointed magister militum in Illyricum, Alarich I began to raid the territory of the Western Roman Empire, invading Italy and sacking Rome in 410. His successor Athaulf led the Visigoths into northern Spain as Roman allies, and in 418 Wallia established the Visigoths at Toulouse as Roman federates. After further clashes in the 420s and 430s, the Visigoths were finally brought to heel by the Roman magister militum Aetius in 439. In 451 they duly aided Aetius against the Huns of Attila in Gaul, and in 455 king Theuderich II supported the Roman emperor Avitus and was given a free hand in Spain while dislodging the Suebi from their recent gains. By 470 his brother and successor Eurich had abandoned this Roman alliance, and he extended Visigothic rule over most of Aquitaine, Spain, and Provence by 476. But in 507 his son Alarich II was killed in battle against the Franks, who conquered most of Aquitaine in 507–531 and forced the Visigothic kingdom (aided by its Ostrogothic allies) to transfer its capital to Toledo. Eurich and Alarich II attempted to regularize relations between their Gothic and Roman subjects (divided by language, faith, and culture) by issuing legislative works based on Roman law in 471–476 and 506.

Following several bloody disorders connected with the conflict between Arian and Roman Christianity, as well as a Roman reconquest of part of southern Spain in 551, king Leuvigild conquered the Suevic kingdom in northwestern Spain by 586. His son and successor Reccared I converted to Roman Christianity in 587, establishing a long tradition of close cooperation between church and state in Spain. Later Visigothic legal codes issued in 642 and 661 no longer needed to address the cultural divide, which had been gradually effaced. Sisebut completed the conquest of the Roman enclave in the south by 616 and imposed his authority over the Basques in the north, extending Visigothic control over the entire Iberian Peninsula. But even so the Visigothic kingdom suffered from the almost chronic problem of irregular royal succession. In 711 the usurping king Roderich was defeated and killed in battle by the armies of the Arab general Ṭāriq, who proceeded to conquer most of the Visigothic kingdom, a task completed by his superior, the governor of north Africa (Ifrīqiyah), Mūsā ibn Nuṣayr.

Quoted verbatim from I. Mladjov.

Last edited:
Would you like to help out with this mod? If so PM me, preferably with an area you're interested in working on.

ck2_map_31_zps6f062709.png

Last edited:
nnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
what happened to "invictus", you filthy filthy fence-jumper! :laugh:

in any case, I could partially assist every now and then if you're interested (mostly because I need practice anyway but have severe motivational issues in terms of doing stuff by my own :p ), most likely in traits and titles and probably even the occasional events and buildings (... LI-styled? :D )

[sub]hell if you want, I could lend the balancing mechanics I'm working on LIBERT3[/sub]

Great to see that SPQR mod isn't completely dead! Good luck with that ;)

Yeah, I couldn't let the last attempt to create an Imperial Roman mod die.

nnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
what happened to "invictus", you filthy filthy fence-jumper! :laugh:

in any case, I could partially assist every now and then if you're interested (mostly because I need practice anyway but have severe motivational issues in terms of doing stuff by my own :p ), most likely in traits and titles and probably even the occasional events and buildings (... LI-styled? :D )

[sub]hell if you want, I could lend the balancing mechanics I'm working on LIBERT3[/sub]

But Saeculum Obscurum is so badass sounding, all occult and mystical.

Thanks for the offer of help :D, I'm a novice when it comes to those things, so I'll probably been in desperate need of someone who can do them ;).

Balancing will probably consist of nerfing the WRE and keeping the ERE on it's toes. Perhaps a "Decline of the West" modifier that reduces levy size and income, although I don't want to make it arbitrary that the west will always fall (just that it'll happen 9/10 times).

Also before people tear me apart for the (probably vast amount of) mistakes I will make, does anyone know of some good books on the later Roman Empire, and the Successor Kingdoms? Mostly the latter, I do have a copy of Gibbons, Peter Heather's "The fall of the Roman Empire", and a few Audiobooks, podcasts ect.

Mostly it's the successor Kingdoms (and Byzantium to a degree (although Gibbons covers it, it's not in a vast amount of detail compared to the west) that I don't have such an in depth knowledge of.

But Saeculum Obscurum is so badass sounding, all occult and mystical.
Thanks for the offer of help :D, I'm a novice when it comes to those things, so I'll probably been in desperate need of someone who can do them ;).
Balancing will probably consist of nerfing the WRE and keeping the ERE on it's toes. Perhaps a "Decline of the West" modifier that reduces levy size and income, although I don't want to make it arbitrary that the west will always fall (just that it'll happen 9/10 times).
... then, Saeculum Obscurum Latium Aeterna? :rofl:

well, in any case, mechanics-aside, modifiers can easily be made to trigger only at certain conditions anyway.

for example, the ERE could have perpetually disloyal vassals (by adding an ... I don't know, Imperator August trait reserved for ERE emperors that lower the relations of vassals (to also incite factions :p) in exchange for some prestige and other buffs) and the effect of vassal opinion on troops sizes increased? Similarly, the Western half could simply have its buildings-progress nerfed (the same way Rome/Constantinople in LI and vanilla are pre-built) and have temporary provincial modifiers that reduce their manpower and income.

Incidentally, you could always make modifiers akin to Lux Invicta's, wherein a strong ruler/despot/princeps/whatever :)laugh:) has a linear bonus (via static_modifiers) whilevery poor rulers have discrete (probably multi-staged) maluses (via triggered_modifiers).

obviously, the most critical of course are invasion events :laugh: while I have thoughts on how to make them, I have little actual factual knowledge (I read a lot... and forget a lot), so if you want, I could always volunteer to encode events based on your research.

in the end, I'm the one benefitting from the "Modding Practicals" anyway :laugh: [sub](everything is for El Psy Congroo's sake, for the wordline beyond)[/sub]

... then, Saeculum Obscurum Latium Aeterna? :rofl:

well, in any case, mechanics-aside, modifiers can easily be made to trigger only at certain conditions anyway.

for example, the ERE could have perpetually disloyal vassals (by adding an ... I don't know, Imperator August trait reserved for ERE emperors that lower the relations of vassals (to also incite factions :p) in exchange for some prestige and other buffs) and the effect of vassal opinion on troops sizes increased? Similarly, the Western half could simply have its buildings-progress nerfed (the same way Rome/Constantinople in LI and vanilla are pre-built) and have temporary provincial modifiers that reduce their manpower and income.

Incidentally, you could always make modifiers akin to Lux Invicta's, wherein a strong ruler/despot/princeps/whatever :)laugh:) has a linear bonus (via static_modifiers) whilevery poor rulers have discrete (probably multi-staged) maluses (via triggered_modifiers).

obviously, the most critical of course are invasion events :laugh: while I have thoughts on how to make them, I have little actual factual knowledge (I read a lot... and forget a lot), so if you want, I could always volunteer to encode events based on your research.

in the end, I'm the one benefitting from the "Modding Practicals" anyway :laugh: [sub](everything is for El Psy Congroo's sake, for the wordline beyond)[/sub]

All ideas are good, keep them coming!

I think that the Old Gods DLC will really help this mod, with raiding, horde mechanics and so on, I also think it adds some new invasion style CBs so I'll have to wait for that.

I'm also going to have to make a list of mods that I'll see if I can get permission to integrate, VIET for example, perhaps the ubiquitous SWMH, the faction system from CK2+, there are endless amounts of features that could be used.

The faction system could be really good, with perhaps an Oligarchic / Aristocratic / Senatorial (although I would probably move the start date to before Theodosius if I want the Senate to have any impact) Faction, Military Faction, Imperial Loyalist Faction, ect.

All ideas are good, keep them coming!

I think that the Old Gods DLC will really help this mod, with raiding, horde mechanics and so on, I also think it adds some new invasion style CBs so I'll have to wait for that.

I'm also going to have to make a list of mods that I'll see if I can get permission to integrate, VIET for example, perhaps the ubiquitous SWMH, the faction system from CK2+, there are endless amounts of features that could be used.

The faction system could be really good, with perhaps an Oligarchic / Aristocratic / Senatorial (although I would probably move the start date to before Theodosius if I want the Senate to have any impact) Faction, Military Faction, Imperial Loyalist Faction, ect.
the Old Gods is ... well, a godsend for this mod (my puns laugh in the face of your pitchforks and torches)

if I could recommend, VIET and Friends and Foes would make excellent additions (though it'll be a headache sorting through their added traits :laugh:). the ck2+ factions could also be useful (I have no idea how it works so I can't comment) for one thing.

note that the more features you integrate, the more work it'll require of course (it goes without saying that the more I'm likely to bail out :laugh: - kidding aside, it'll best to not be too ambitious lest we run out of stamina midway and this becomes yet another Roman Mod casualty :laugh: )

Exactly, which is why I'd prefer it if there were a few people who wanted to get involved, a problem shared is a problem halves as they say. I think that first of all we need to sort of what mods we can realistically use and integrate, and stick to them (attempting to integrate a larger one like SWMH after the mod is half done would be an enormous pain in the behind).

To me the Factions will be an important one to intigrate, I think I'd only integrate one trait mod (the combined trait bloat from both is hilarious in Lux sometimes, you can a crippled, left handed, calm, genius, celebate, restless, slothful, dwarf as your ruler :laugh:).

I'll send you a link to what has been done by Yazem so far (it's not in a playable state ATM).

I'll also see if any of the authors of the other abandoned Roman mods want to get involved / share what they managed to get done before they gave up.

Edit; Moved the Maps up.

Last edited:
Exactly, which is why I'd prefer it if there were a few people who wanted to get involved, a problem shared is a problem halves as they say. I think that first of all we need to sort of what mods we can realistically use and integrate, and stick to them (attempting to integrate a larger one like SWMH after the mod is half done would be an enormous pain in the behind).
To me the Factions will be an important one to intigrate, I think I'd only integrate one trait mod (the combined trait bloat from both is hilarious in Lux sometimes, you can a crippled, left handed, calm, genius, celebate, restless, slothful, dwarf as your ruler :laugh:).
I'll send you a link to what has been done by Yazem so far (it's not in a playable state ATM).
I'll also see if any of the authors of the other abandoned Roman mods want to get involved / share what they managed to get done before they gave up.

why not just start with SWMH in the first place? granted, I'd probably wait to use the version they have that updates Britannia to minimize work in the future.

in any case, the first thing we could work on is a clear roadmap on what exactly to integrate/borrow and what specific features add/implement, besides the obvious need for research of landed titles and characters to encode.

in any case, the most I'm... well, "pledging" in for :)D) is on traits, building system, events, modifiers, and balancing, since these are the stuff I have experience on and thus don't need to spend time studying (well, aside from events, but one learns every day :laugh: )

why not just start with SWMH in the first place? granted, I'd probably wait to use the version they have that updates Britannia to minimize work in the future.

in any case, the first thing we could work on is a clear roadmap on what exactly to integrate/borrow and what specific features add/implement, besides the obvious need for research of landed titles and characters to encode.

in any case, the most I'm... well, "pledging" in for :)D) is on traits, building system, events, modifiers, and balancing, since these are the stuff I have experience on and thus don't need to spend time studying (well, aside from events, but one learns every day :laugh: )

If we're integrating SMWH, then it's definitely the first thing we should get working (my attempt to integrate Lux with SWMH has shown me that. The main problem was that Lux was already too big I think).

Talking about SWMH, I had a go at having a look at how the Rhine Borders would look like with SWMH (an Earlier version).

26IPM.png

Looks very good (IMHO).

Welcome aboard to the good ship SOLAM :happy: ( yes I'm really happy about making an acronym that sounds nice, deal with it).

What title would you like riknap? I'm going to take Augustus :laugh:.

join SOLAM? I never said that. I did imply I'll sail along with it... that means in parallel with a 52-gun broadside ready :laugh:

oh, and for that reason, Imperator Invictus would suffice. :rofl:

well, jokes aside, since you do have experience working with SWMH already, it'll be no doubt good to start from there ground-up (though as I said, I'd really prefer the Brittanic version :laugh:). incidentally, I have no absolutely no interest in working on cartography and province-modding and history-editing, so the bulk of that work will fall on you :laugh:

edit: and now we have a gallic horserider for company :laugh:

Wow, this looks great!

If you're looking for some good books on the later Roman Empire and Successor States, I would recommend the New Cambridge History Series; The Cambridge Ancient History Volume 13: The Late Empire, AD 337–425, The Cambridge Ancient History Volume 14: Late Antiquity: Empire and Successors, AD 425–600, and The New Cambridge Medieval History Volume 1: c.500–c.700

Also, I have very limited modding capabilities, but I will offer my help on this project. Smaller things like character/titular Histories would be the main thing I could do.

I have access to a lot of historical sources using my University's databases, so I can help with research too.

Last edited:
If you need any help with research. Just ring a bell. I'd like to help as this seems a very ambitious mod project.

Thanks very much, research is quite integral to this mod :happy:.

join SOLAM? I never said that. I did imply I'll sail along with it... that means in parallel with a 52-gun broadside ready :laugh:

oh, and for that reason, Imperator Invictus would suffice. :rofl:

well, jokes aside, since you do have experience working with SWMH already, it'll be no doubt good to start from there ground-up (though as I said, I'd really prefer the Brittanic version :laugh:). incidentally, I have no absolutely no interest in working on cartography and province-modding and history-editing, so the bulk of that work will fall on you :laugh:

edit: and now we have a gallic horserider for company :laugh:

Damn you you scurvy seadog!

Yeah, I agree with you there, it would be great to have a more logical Britain and I'll probably wait for that to come out before getting into the provinces proper. Yeah those are the bits that I'm able to do and I don't particularly enjoy messing around with the mechanics of levies, events, ect. so I'll gladly give you control of those bits.

Also, I have very limited modding capabilities, but I will offer my help on this project. Smaller things like character/titular Histories would be the main thing I could do.

I have access to a lot of historical sources using my University's databases, so I can help with research too.

That's great news, I don't have access to anything like that myself, so that's certainly a bonus.

Join the Steam Group chaps, and we can organise who wants to research what (it's better that people go for their interests, keeps the motivation for work up :laugh:).