• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #236 - Happy Holidays and thanks for all the fish!

Read in Russian on VK/Доступно на русском в ВК

Hello everyone!

We aren’t quite ready to show the things we are working on currently, but from the beginning of January we’ll be back with more dev diaries to talk about things like the Unity rework or the new Situations system. For now, we’ll be taking a hiatus until January 13th.

We want to instead take this opportunity to celebrate the year that’s gone by and thank you all in the community for your continued support.

Looking back at the year:
  • We released Nemesis and the 3.0 ‘Dick’ Update, after Philip K Dick, which added the Intel system and Espionage Operations, among other things
  • We released a number of updates to 3.0 with bug fixes and improvements following your valuable feedback
  • We onboarded many new members to our team, which let us provide you with even more Stellaris updates
  • We announced the Custodian Initiative and released the first Custodian patch with the 3.1 ‘Lem’ Update (Stansilaw Lem) which features a lot of great improvements and new features
  • We “buffed the backlog” for older DLC by adding new content to the Plantoids- and Humanoids Species Packs.
  • We released 3.2 ‘Herbert’ Update (after Frank Herbert) and the Aquatics Species Pack, which is the best-selling and best-reviewed species pack of all time (by a great margin). Most importantly, we added swolephins.

I am incredibly happy about what we’ve achieved this year, and with our great team we should be able to keep making Stellaris better than ever before.

For next year I hope we can keep working together with you, the community, and release more great updates to Stellaris. I’m very excited, and I hope you are as well.

Here’s some pictures gathered during the development this year:

1639058671855.png

Hmm. What happens if you try to add weapons to a Tiyanki? Oh…

1639058689080.png

Assets wouldn’t randomize their appearance during early development. Clone spies?

1639058706446.png

Working on pathfinding can be… interesting at times.

1639058724782.png

QA testing bugs relating to Mechanist Origin + Agrarian Idyll Civic.

1639058757481.png

General pandemic mood.

1639058795880.png

1639058866614.png

Early Here Be Dragons work can lead to unexpected heroism.

And as a little bit of a gift, here’s some teaser images from things in development:

1639058894790.png

1639058903976.png

-----
Thanks for this year! We will be back with our next dev diary on January 13th, and until then we wish you Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 111Like
  • 32Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Nice work this year.

Are there any plans to rework the Galactic Market Hub nomination mechanics? The "nomination" process isn't a nomination so much as a glorified RNG outcome, and it's one of the few smaller old features I'd like to see redone. (I'm hoping it will be put off until a trade rework so that the market hub can be made to spawn in an actual trade hub planet. That would be pretty cool.)

Reactions:
Thanks for the patches, the bug fixes and the work you have put on them. Enjoy holidays and get back some energy for all the great things you will do on the next year :D

My initial thought is that Admin Offices are now dead to me. If I need the Unity production, I'll just go with Holo Theatre (or equivalent) since Amenities are also a necessity and Trade Value is just *meh*. Unless the importance of Unity (both early and late) is really jacked up, I don't see how the building is remotely useful.

We'll see how the re-work goes I guess.

Reactions:

I hope you aren't going through with removing Culture Workers. I think this whole "bureaucrats give Unity" thing is a big mistake, especially if Culture Workers get removed. Flavor and roleplaying potential is an important part of Stellaris and it just makes no sense for Unity to come from bureaucrats of all things, and it's especially tragic if culture, such an important part of any civilization, is no longer represented on planets.

The Unity and Admin Cap systems work perfectly fine as they are now that you can no longer easily get all the Unity you need from switching your Trade Policy at the start of the game. The whole rework seems a bit like change for change's sake when the game is already in a good place right now. Yes, on default settings technology snowballs too hard, but the fix is as easy as setting the midgame and endgame dates earlier or increasing the tech cost slider. It doesn't need a game-mechanical rework.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks to the Stellaris team for the continuous effort and support! Some great changes that will make the future of Stellaris bright.
I hope the team is brave enough to continue to rework Stellaris where necessary such as the Unity rework and explore new fun ideas.
cough *buff the starbases along the way* cough :p

I have enjoyed Stellaris from the start and must say that the Custodian Initiative brings a new well needed boost to making Stellaris greater and more fun.
6140 hours and counting

I am very happy with the turn stellaris took this years. Even if a lot of work is remaining, a lot of important issue had already been solved or are on the way to beign solved. The AI and performances has clearly been improved, more late game content had been added, several rebalancing has been made and old content has finally been updated once again.
Oh and I forget all the very annoying bugs wich had been fixed.
Really hope Stellaris will continue on this way this next year.

I wish you a good Christmas break, you clearly deserve it.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I hope you aren't going through with removing Culture Workers. I think this whole "bureaucrats give Unity" thing is a big mistake, especially if Culture Workers get removed. Flavor and roleplaying potential is an important part of Stellaris and it just makes no sense for Unity to come from bureaucrats of all things, and it's especially tragic if culture, such an important part of any civilization, is no longer represented on planets.

The Unity and Admin Cap systems work perfectly fine as they are now that you can no longer easily get all the Unity you need from switching your Trade Policy at the start of the game. The whole rework seems a bit like change for change's sake when the game is already in a good place right now. Yes, on default settings technology snowballs too hard, but the fix is as easy as setting the midgame and endgame dates earlier or increasing the tech cost slider. It doesn't need a game-mechanical rework.
Administrators and Executives already provide some Unity, so it's not an entirely new concept.

Reactions:
Not as a bug report but I totally get that pathfinding pain, but very solid work has clearly been dong - I've had fleets take gateways to L-gates because it's just a bit faster than doing one jump from where they are in the system.
Thanks! Pathfinding is a tricky subject to work with since it's used so extensively and is quite expensive in terms of performance, so changing it is scary.
The work we did in 3.1 fixed a lot of issues, but introduced (more like uncovered actually) new ones.

One of the great strengths of the Custodian initiative is how reactive and adaptive we can be and how that allows us to take risks like scary changes to pathfinding, which risks creating issues, but after we fix those, we end up in a much better situation than we had before we started.

Let me also spoil what's going on in that picture, because cycles in the paths aren't actually allowed!
I was working on how the AI uses jump drives and when the AI figures out that it can shortcut the path by using their jump drives, it adds the jump drive order to the front of the queue. In this case, it still had the order to move to the next system in the queue, which meant that it wanted to go back to where it came from, to go where it had already gone xD

• 22Haha
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Not as a bug report but I totally get that pathfinding pain, but very solid work has clearly been dong - I've had fleets take gateways to L-gates because it's just a bit faster than doing one jump from where they are in the system.
Same. It ends up making the L Cluster the most important transit point in the galaxy, since a single Gateway placed next to any L Gate ends up routing all the traffic through Terminal Egress.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's been a great year for Stellaris, thanks a lot!
Btw, are you planning on adding more planet types in the future? In my humble opinion, the game lacks a lot without "planetary diversity mod".

(...) so changing it is scary.
The work we did in 3.1 fixed a lot of issues, but introduced (more like uncovered actually) new ones.

Feel sorry for you in gamedev, that it's not so easy for you to have e2e/integrity tests. Tests adds - as probably you know - courage, and makes you more confident about what you're doing ... that's why I'll never be a gamedev - not for my nerves :D
Good job by the way :)