• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #236 - Happy Holidays and thanks for all the fish!

Read in Russian on VK/Доступно на русском в ВК

Hello everyone!

We aren’t quite ready to show the things we are working on currently, but from the beginning of January we’ll be back with more dev diaries to talk about things like the Unity rework or the new Situations system. For now, we’ll be taking a hiatus until January 13th.

We want to instead take this opportunity to celebrate the year that’s gone by and thank you all in the community for your continued support.

Looking back at the year:
  • We released Nemesis and the 3.0 ‘Dick’ Update, after Philip K Dick, which added the Intel system and Espionage Operations, among other things
  • We released a number of updates to 3.0 with bug fixes and improvements following your valuable feedback
  • We onboarded many new members to our team, which let us provide you with even more Stellaris updates
  • We announced the Custodian Initiative and released the first Custodian patch with the 3.1 ‘Lem’ Update (Stansilaw Lem) which features a lot of great improvements and new features
  • We “buffed the backlog” for older DLC by adding new content to the Plantoids- and Humanoids Species Packs.
  • We released 3.2 ‘Herbert’ Update (after Frank Herbert) and the Aquatics Species Pack, which is the best-selling and best-reviewed species pack of all time (by a great margin). Most importantly, we added swolephins.

I am incredibly happy about what we’ve achieved this year, and with our great team we should be able to keep making Stellaris better than ever before.

For next year I hope we can keep working together with you, the community, and release more great updates to Stellaris. I’m very excited, and I hope you are as well.

Here’s some pictures gathered during the development this year:

1639058671855.png

Hmm. What happens if you try to add weapons to a Tiyanki? Oh…

1639058689080.png

Assets wouldn’t randomize their appearance during early development. Clone spies?

1639058706446.png

Working on pathfinding can be… interesting at times.

1639058724782.png

QA testing bugs relating to Mechanist Origin + Agrarian Idyll Civic.

1639058757481.png

General pandemic mood.

1639058795880.png

1639058866614.png

Early Here Be Dragons work can lead to unexpected heroism.

And as a little bit of a gift, here’s some teaser images from things in development:

1639058894790.png

1639058903976.png

-----
Thanks for this year! We will be back with our next dev diary on January 13th, and until then we wish you Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 111Like
  • 32Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I hope you aren't going through with removing Culture Workers. I think this whole "bureaucrats give Unity" thing is a big mistake, especially if Culture Workers get removed. Flavor and roleplaying potential is an important part of Stellaris and it just makes no sense for Unity to come from bureaucrats of all things, and it's especially tragic if culture, such an important part of any civilization, is no longer represented on planets.

The Unity and Admin Cap systems work perfectly fine as they are now that you can no longer easily get all the Unity you need from switching your Trade Policy at the start of the game. The whole rework seems a bit like change for change's sake when the game is already in a good place right now. Yes, on default settings technology snowballs too hard, but the fix is as easy as setting the midgame and endgame dates earlier or increasing the tech cost slider. It doesn't need a game-mechanical rework.
"The Unity and Admin Cap systems work perfectly fine"? While I think that I understand what you mean, which is that there's no exploits currently linked to those two mechanics, I must disagree with your conclusion. First, unity doesn't mean anything : it's 100% a name on a game mechanic that doesn't simulate anything that happen in the development of a nation, and it's basically worse tech for spiritualists. And administrative capacity is a game mechanic that doesn't work, since it does not impede the development of wide empires - quite the opposite, in fact. It does not simulate the challenge of ruling what is supposed to be hundreds of billions of persons, it does not have any of the consequences that arise in the real world when a central governement doesn't have the bureaucratic ressources to implement it's policies on its population or territory, and it's litteraly just one more dump of ressources with very little connections to the rest of the mechanics of the game.

While I respect your POV, I personnally don't think the game is at the place it should be, where the only numbers that matters are your pop count and science production. Don't get me wrong, Stellaris is a great game that I enjoy, but your sort of meta thinking miss the point that the state of the game right now does not allow it to fully realise its purpose, which is being a simulation of a spacefearing civilisation where any type of empire (theocratic spiritualists, xenophile diplomats, agrarian food traders, cold-blooded cyborgs) can follow their OWN path to victory. Right now, there is only one path, and it's science and pops.

The new system, from the few glances we had, could very well make something interesting out of spiritualists; and imagine if it linked unity to hard choices (developping a new tradition vs keeping enough unity to assure stability) and other game mechanics (rebellions -> military and diplomacy mechanics; production of unity -> economy mechanics; unrest -> influence and internal politic). That would make it actually fun to play with unity!

So I guess my point is : a boring system is not a great system even if it doesn't break the game.

Last edited:
  • 11Like
Reactions:
We need to talk about swolephin.

swoons

• 2Haha
Reactions:
My initial thought is that Admin Offices are now dead to me. If I need the Unity production, I'll just go with Holo Theatre (or equivalent) since Amenities are also a necessity and Trade Value is just *meh*. Unless the importance of Unity (both early and late) is really jacked up, I don't see how the building is remotely useful.

We'll see how the re-work goes I guess.

In some fashion unity production is going to offset your Empire Sprawl - so the general value of unity is going to be much higher than where it is currently at.

"The Unity and Admin Cap systems work perfectly fine"? While I think that I understand what you mean, which is that there's no exploits currently linked to those two mechanics, I must disagree with your conclusion. First, unity doesn't mean anything : it's 100% a name on a game mechanic that doesn't simulate anything that happen in the development of a nation, and it's basically worse tech for spiritualists. And administrative capacity is a game mechanic that doesn't work, since it does not impede the develpment of wide empire - quite the opposite, in fact. It does not simulate the challenge of ruling what is supposed to be hundreds of billions of persons, it does not have any of the consequences that arise in the real world when a central governement doesn't have the bureaucratic ressources to implement it's policies on its population or territory, and it's litteraly just one more dump of ressources with very little connections to the rest of the mechanics of the game.

While I respect your POV, I personnally don't think the game is at the place it should be right now, where the only numbers that matters are your pop count and science production. Don't get me wrong, Stellaris is a great game that I enjoy, but your sort of meta thinking miss the point that the state of the game right now does not allow it to realise its purpose, which is being a simulation of a spacefearing civilisation where any type of empire (theocratic spiritualists, xenophile diplomats, agrarian food traders, cold-blooded cyborgs) can follow their OWN path to victory. Right now, there is only one path, and it's science and pops.

The new system, from the few glances we had, could very well make something interesting out of spiritualists; and imagine if it linked unity to hard choices (developping a new tradition vs keeping enough unity to assure stability) and other game mechanics (rebellions -> military and diplomacy mechanics; production of unity -> economy mechanics; unrest -> influence and internal politic). That would make it actually fun to play with unity!

So I guess my point is : a boring system is not a great system even if it doesn't break the game.
I don't disagree that things could be better, but removing admin cap and letting unity take over that job will reduce planet variety, which is not a good thing in a game that has very limited variety in that regard already. It would be much better to keep unity and admin cap separate, while overhauling their effects so they are more impactful. Encourage us to make cultural center "unity worlds" as well as the bureaucratic worlds we already make. If culture workers are cut completely, that means there's next to no culture represented on our planets. It's rather soulless.

Reactions:
Thanks! Pathfinding is a tricky subject to work with since it's used so extensively and is quite expensive in terms of performance, so changing it is scary.
The work we did in 3.1 fixed a lot of issues, but introduced (more like uncovered actually) new ones.

One of the great strengths of the Custodian initiative is how reactive and adaptive we can be and how that allows us to take risks like scary changes to pathfinding, which risks creating issues, but after we fix those, we end up in a much better situation than we had before we started.

Let me also spoil what's going on in that picture, because cycles in the paths aren't actually allowed!
I was working on how the AI uses jump drives and when the AI figures out that it can shortcut the path by using their jump drives, it adds the jump drive order to the front of the queue. In this case, it still had the order to move to the next system in the queue, which meant that it wanted to go back to where it came from, to go where it had already gone xD
What was, shall be. What shall be, was.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't disagree that things could be better, but removing admin cap and letting unity take over that job will reduce planet variety, which is not a good thing in a game that has very limited variety in that regard already. It would be much better to keep unity and admin cap separate, while overhauling their effects so they are more impactful. Encourage us to make cultural center "unity worlds" as well as the bureaucratic worlds we already make. If culture workers are cut completely, that means there's next to no culture represented on our planets. It's rather soulless.

I was thinking about it but what is Culture ?

Manufactured cultural product are in Consumer goods I think.

Theatre and stuff are entertainers and I don't think they go away with the cultural workers.

Maybe you could make a case about museum that could be represented by cultural workers.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I was thinking about it but what is Culture ?

Manufactured cultural product are in Consumer goods I think.

Theatre and stuff are entertainers and I don't think they go away with the cultural workers.

Maybe you could make a case about museum that could be represented by cultural workers.
Culture is so much more than those things. Culture is what distinguishes a group of people from another and isn't either pure genetics or material resources/technology. In fact, a lot of *social* technology is arguably culture, although it's easier to make a clear distinction if it's something that is clearly superior to what came before it (e.g. codified law vs. the local aristocracy ruling on a whim; adversarial justice systems with a jury vs. just pleading your case to a single judge, letting everybody own property and start businesses instead of just men, etc.). Some things that are culture, but don't really fit any of your categories:
  • Cuisine. Not just the specific dishes, but the types of spices, and grains, and proteins used. The ratio of plant to animal. The propensity of specific ingredients, like olive oil Mediterranean cooking or black vinegar in Chinese.
  • Housing. Obviously technology enables people to live more densely, but *how* they do it is cultural. Do you have clearly divided residential and commercial land, or do you make lots of mixed-use property. Do you go for a mix of tiny but very dense apartments and single-family houses, or put everybody in apartments of varying size and luxury? Do you go for big homes that support multigenerational families, or small ones for atomic families?
  • Work ethic. Do you focus on maximizing hours worked at the risk of burnout and unhappiness, or maximizing leisure and focusing on getting the most value out of each hour from fresh, highly-motivated workers? Or somewhere in between, or other direction entirely...
  • Fashion. Not just clothing (though that's a part), and not just what's "in" at any time, but how people present themselves in general. Is heavy makeup a sign of care for beauty in general or of personal vanity or desperation? Is revealing clothing a sign of promiscuity or of individual freedom? Are tattoos a matter of personal artistry or a way to just show you're tough? And of course there's the group identity things, the way you wear your hair or mustache, the fabric of your clothes and the metal in your jewelry, the way you gesture when you speak or avoid eye contact with strangers, all of that signals where you come from and who "your people" are.
  • Sports and recreation. Do you play cricket or baseball? Do you favor heavily team-based sports like football (American or otherwise) or more individual ones like tennis? Do you have a concept that some sports are for boys and others for girls? Is sport something that almost everybody does or only people who really seek it out? Do people generally do karaoke or visit sports bars or favor live music when they go out?
  • Gender and sexuality and relationships. Do you have strict gender roles in society or are they pretty lassez faire? Do you believe children should learn about and experience sex early, or that they should wait for serious relationships that almost nobody has that young? Does your society normalize loving multiple people (romantically) at once, or only one at a time?
  • Religion. Not just your specific set of beliefs, but also things like whether you consider others having those same beliefs essential to community membership or not? Whether your society is so religious that time for prayer is built into every schedule everywhere, or somewhat irreligious such that accommodations for religions are like accommodations for veganism (made by many but not extended by default), or is religion genuinely rare? Are religious leaders given any special power in society, such as a legal role in weddings or a voice in setting academic policies?
  • Language. Not just the actual vocabulary and grammar - though that's a lot - but also the way it's used. Is there an official language everybody must learn? Is the popular media (books and songs and movies and so on) recorded in something you speak? Is there an effort to "preserve" the language, or are neologisms and loanwords eagerly adopted?
  • Architecture and landscaping. You know how you can look at a picture of a park or temple or government office and kind of get an idea - sometimes a pretty specific one - where it's from?
  • Views on independence and freedom; is the purpose of society to give everybody an opportunity to be their best self, or to ensure everybody is taken care of? Is it more important to be free to choose your medical care, or to have the government ensure that everybody gets an equal level of care? Is it worth trading some autonomy for strong alliances, or better to preserve your sovereignty at the cost of some trade opportunities? Is ease of obtaining weapons worth criminals being able to do greater amounts of harm?
  • So, so many more things...
Of course, Stellaris represents approximately none of that. Some things are kind of there, in ethics or civics or traditions or ascensions or edicts or so on, but there's basically nothing unique about one people from another except their base species and their predominant ethics. If you conquer some people, or take in a bunch of refugees, you might get some unhappiness about living under a monarchy or having robots in your empire, but nobody being sad about being their ancestral language dying out and the children not knowing the old stories, or missing the essential ingredient of home cooking (the "Salty" event notwithstanding), or hating how all the farms got replaced with cities, or so on. You can say people are religious, and declare certain events to be gifts or punishments or messages from the divine, but you can't actually pick any aspect of your beliefs. You can be warlike and distrustful of anybody who approaches first contact too timidly - actually one of the better culture elements of the game lately - but you can't sneer at the fools who took Prosperity instead of Supremacy, or who dare to play God by completely reshaping the bodies that they were created with through biological ascension. You can reform your government from an absolute dictatorship with a Supreme Leader For Life to a megacorporation with an elected board of directors, and it's expensive in terms of political capital to convince enough people to go through with it but you never get the former heir claiming that they've stolen her birthright and launching a civil war to get it back, nor do you ever get a group of people deciding that while equality of opportunity is important, communism actually sucks and they don't want to share the burdens of the poor.

I really, really would like to see more actual *culture* in Stellaris!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Kudos for a hard (but successful) year, Paradox team, and enjoy the winter break. You've earned it.

Separately- interesting implications from the teaser bits you put in.

Administrator Change:

The administrative office seems tailored to be your homeworld speciality, so depending on how the admin sprawl economy rework goes, I foresee a meta-shift in how homeworld-full-of-science will shake up vis-a-vis science lab spamming. Currently unity is one of the only things that does NOT have a planetary designation to boost efficiency, with it (and trade) only rising with stability, which is the main benefit of the capital-world designation- which, coincidentally, would collect all produced trade value without threat of piracy. Notably, the trade value per building (5) is enough for any empire to cover the upkeep of the building AND the city district that would be needed to unlock it, with a bit left over to subsidize the empire, so this is going to be something that you can build on your homeworld that doesn't require you to build as many early-game technicians to upkeep as science does.

(And while there is no unity-boosting designation, there doesn't need to be better to increase the value of Managers; Urban world reduces building and district upkeep by 10% AND boosts trade by 20%, so while you wouldn't be making more unity per pop you would be increasing their energy value.)

But I admit I'm surprised at how high the unity is- 6 unity per job is more than even the current Memorialist job (4 unity), and twice the unity of the current culture worker. While admin sprawl exponentially increases unity costs compared to tech costs (because traditions cost more per tradition unlocked, rather than techs being a modifier off of base tech requirements), which means way more unity is going to be needed, this also suggests that there will be more things to spend unity on.

Which, obviously, was already hinted at, with the idea of using unity to mitigate sprawl, but if a pop-efficient homeworld of 10 Manager buildings is producing 120 unity a month, this suggests reoccurring unity costs, more inline with unity-powered campaigns (that currently cost energy) or early-game ambitions rather than perma-edicts like the influence ones.

This in turn would produce a strategic delimma tradeoff: do you spend unity for immediate edicts, or stockpile it for ascension paths? With one use for unity being countering the tech growth penalties, you'll likely have an early and mid-game delimma of whether you use unity for maximum early assets, versus tradition tree racing.

And if you are using it for effects other than science-mitigation, then the current science meta will get drastically changed as well based on how the unity-costs (and admin sprawl penalties) scale. It may be well that +2 scientists are worth less to your science game than +2 Managers paying off the penalty, and that another +2 managers may be worth more in boosting other aspects of the economy than +2 workers. At which point, specialists- and unity producers in general- would have a bigger mid-game impact.

It really depends on how extensive the Edict system is reworked, which looks promising because-

Edicts Fund could be a very big game changer depending just how funds are spent and accumulated.

In the current system, there's a more-or-less hard cap on how many Edicts you have, which puts all edicts in direct competition no matter how strong or weak. Each one costs 1 slot, and it's generally not worthwhile to go over. This produces a relatively hard meta, where a few strong contenders compete for the same slot and weak options are never considered, and once you have an edict you never remove it due to the significant influence cost.

If Edicts have varying costs, then 'more but weaker edicts' or 'fewer but stronger' becomes a balancing factor that may open up new strategies. If say we have a flat 50 Edict Funds, and Nutritional Plentitute and Energy Subsidies both cost 30 Edict Funds, then we can pick one and get another weaker edict to fill our gap. Then, when you reach a mid-game tech or tradition or add a civic that increases your cap, you come to another decision point- maybe now you can afford both Nutritional Plentitute and Energy subsidies, and so you do the swap. Because we are balancing for Edict strength, Paradox can be a bit more flexible in giving more ways to add smaller numbers of funds than they could if they were on the Edict Slot limit.

On its own, discrete costs suggest a lot more strategic flexibility, and this could be even greater depending on how 'Edict Funds' are acquired.

Edict slots, currently, are all provided up front. But Edict Funds don't necessarily have to be. They could- you have X points you can afford, and you get them back when you dismiss a edict. In a plain reading, the +50 edict funds would literally be just that, 50 more points to trade for your edicts.

But the term 'fund' suggests a transaction. What if we buy Edict Funds through the use of Unity, and the use of Edict Funds in the teaser above was an increase to our capacity for edict funds we could hold at a time?

In this model, Edicts wouldn't be a permanent 'pay the cost and keep it forever', balanced by what number/sorting of edicts you have at a time, but be a buff system where players spend unity to buy Edict Funds, and spend the edict funds for multi-decade buffs. Eventually the buff runs out, and you either spend more unity to buy more Edict Funds or your go without the buff (including the admin sprawl penalty to science).

This would help explain the drastic increase in unity production. It's not a flat unity boost to power through the exponential raising of tradition cost impacted by admin sprawl, but on the expectation that you will be regularly and reliably spending unity instead of saving it for Traditions, which- in turn- are more like 'permanent edicts' that don't expire once purchased. This, too, would affect the current science meta, as by spending unity to protect science production you're not spending unity on Traditions for the economic gains to support more science or more unity, and thus science-builds become more of a 'early bloom' strategy where you can brute-force your way for the first few decades, but risk falling behind economically as other people marshal traditions rather than running ahead forever.

If we're buying Edicts with Edict Funds, and Edict Funds with Unity, this also implies some changes to the influence-economy involved, which previously was invested in a few permanent edicts. They could cut out the role of influence all together- all edicts cost unity on a rotating basis- or they could make it so you can spend influence to raise your Edict Fund capacity to hold more edicts.

Again, too many unknowns to be sure of anything, and nothing known on how admin sprawl itself will change in the new economy, but this does suggest the potential for some pretty big meta-shifts.

Depending on how much of this guestimating is accurate, some major trends we could see might be-

-Trade builds will Trade Federations will get even stronger than they already are, now that the main source of unity is also a trade-boosted building. With Managers both covering their own cost but also covering the role of scientists (by fighting admin sprawl penalties in ways TBD), you need fewer technicians to support energy-hungry urban districts and specialist buildings. With Trade Federation trade policy, you're producing both unity and the CG needed to support more unity producers. (Science Federations could mitigate this a great deal if they came with a unique bonus to compensating for science sprawl.)

-The science game as a whole will likely slow considerably. We don't know how admin penalties will still work, but I'd be surprised if the transition of 'employ more scientists to boost science growth' to 'employ more burearcrats so the scientists you currently have aren't slowed' doesn't entail a much, much slower tech game. 'Into repeatables by year 100' may be gone- or if not, be a far harder and risker/more fragile build to someone who doesn't do that, but does invest in a few fleets to smash your over-specialized specialist economy.

-Tradition tree growth may well slow down significantly as well, delaying the point at which various ascensions come online. Depending on how much unity is 'spent' on (temporary?) edicts instead of invested in traditions, and the reworked sprawl mechanics, you could see Tradition trees being much more about completing your first several early, but your last bunch late, with maximum traditions being in the mid-game second century rather than the first. This would mean that the order of traditions matters more, as you're stuck with only your first choice for longer.

-As a consequence of this and the tech and tradition slowdown, Ascension paths may rebalance. Currently the Psionic/Bio/Synthetic ascension is weighted towards the later two because you can get them early-enough for their bonuses to outweigh psionic. With them delayed, Psionic may have a wider and longer period of time being the only tradition, and thus the best one for snowballing.

-War will become more fraught for min-maxers. With less tech blooming to run away with, 'optimal' specialist economies in science/unity will have to come at the cost of alloy economies, so primitive-but-larger empires will likely be better able to win via attrition.

-District efficiency will joint pop effeciency to become an even stronger point of the meta, as pop and district-based sprawl has implications on how much unity you need to spend to maintain Edict Funds. Note that this means upkeep efficiency will become as important as direct specialist efficiency, as the number of districts a specialist requires to support them will affect science.

For specific Ethics

-Spiritualists will likely get a major boost, both due to the increase in unity production and the decrease to edict cost if that applies to Edict Fund purchases. Spiritualists would be able to have more unity to spend on edicts/edict funds/countering the effects of sprawl, and likely be able to buy more of... whatever edict funds can purchase.

-Materialist will get a decrease due to the diminishing value of science compared to admin sprawl. I predict there will be an early-game sweet spot role for them- rushing Cruisers or certain tech-rushes- but they will risk being economically outweighed if they go wide.

-Xenophiles will get a increase in wide play as the trade from beuracrats will be significant as the number scales, depending on how the beuracrats counter. Also, they can leverage good relations into a lower alloy-requirement,

-Xenophobe will likely face a decrease due to the higher costs of going wide, but it remains to be seen what they get.

-Egalitarian-Pacifist will be beneficiaries due to their living standards/stability boosting the unity and trade game.

-Militarist-Authoritarians will have a longer mid-game advantage in their ability to exploit early-game advantages to go wide. Wide itself may not be as strong as it was, but it will still be key to getting more resources/alloys.

These be my predictions for the moment. We'll see in a few months how off-base they are.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Culture is so much more than those things. Culture is what distinguishes a group of people from another and isn't either pure genetics or material resources/technology. In fact, a lot of *social* technology is arguably culture, although it's easier to make a clear distinction if it's something that is clearly superior to what came before it (e.g. codified law vs. the local aristocracy ruling on a whim; adversarial justice systems with a jury vs. just pleading your case to a single judge, letting everybody own property and start businesses instead of just men, etc.). Some things that are culture, but don't really fit any of your categories:
  • Cuisine. Not just the specific dishes, but the types of spices, and grains, and proteins used. The ratio of plant to animal. The propensity of specific ingredients, like olive oil Mediterranean cooking or black vinegar in Chinese.
  • Housing. Obviously technology enables people to live more densely, but *how* they do it is cultural. Do you have clearly divided residential and commercial land, or do you make lots of mixed-use property. Do you go for a mix of tiny but very dense apartments and single-family houses, or put everybody in apartments of varying size and luxury? Do you go for big homes that support multigenerational families, or small ones for atomic families?
  • Work ethic. Do you focus on maximizing hours worked at the risk of burnout and unhappiness, or maximizing leisure and focusing on getting the most value out of each hour from fresh, highly-motivated workers? Or somewhere in between, or other direction entirely...
  • Fashion. Not just clothing (though that's a part), and not just what's "in" at any time, but how people present themselves in general. Is heavy makeup a sign of care for beauty in general or of personal vanity or desperation? Is revealing clothing a sign of promiscuity or of individual freedom? Are tattoos a matter of personal artistry or a way to just show you're tough? And of course there's the group identity things, the way you wear your hair or mustache, the fabric of your clothes and the metal in your jewelry, the way you gesture when you speak or avoid eye contact with strangers, all of that signals where you come from and who "your people" are.
  • Sports and recreation. Do you play cricket or baseball? Do you favor heavily team-based sports like football (American or otherwise) or more individual ones like tennis? Do you have a concept that some sports are for boys and others for girls? Is sport something that almost everybody does or only people who really seek it out? Do people generally do karaoke or visit sports bars or favor live music when they go out?
  • Gender and sexuality and relationships. Do you have strict gender roles in society or are they pretty lassez faire? Do you believe children should learn about and experience sex early, or that they should wait for serious relationships that almost nobody has that young? Does your society normalize loving multiple people (romantically) at once, or only one at a time?
  • Religion. Not just your specific set of beliefs, but also things like whether you consider others having those same beliefs essential to community membership or not? Whether your society is so religious that time for prayer is built into every schedule everywhere, or somewhat irreligious such that accommodations for religions are like accommodations for veganism (made by many but not extended by default), or is religion genuinely rare? Are religious leaders given any special power in society, such as a legal role in weddings or a voice in setting academic policies?
  • Language. Not just the actual vocabulary and grammar - though that's a lot - but also the way it's used. Is there an official language everybody must learn? Is the popular media (books and songs and movies and so on) recorded in something you speak? Is there an effort to "preserve" the language, or are neologisms and loanwords eagerly adopted?
  • Architecture and landscaping. You know how you can look at a picture of a park or temple or government office and kind of get an idea - sometimes a pretty specific one - where it's from?
  • Views on independence and freedom; is the purpose of society to give everybody an opportunity to be their best self, or to ensure everybody is taken care of? Is it more important to be free to choose your medical care, or to have the government ensure that everybody gets an equal level of care? Is it worth trading some autonomy for strong alliances, or better to preserve your sovereignty at the cost of some trade opportunities? Is ease of obtaining weapons worth criminals being able to do greater amounts of harm?
  • So, so many more things...
Of course, Stellaris represents approximately none of that. Some things are kind of there, in ethics or civics or traditions or ascensions or edicts or so on, but there's basically nothing unique about one people from another except their base species and their predominant ethics. If you conquer some people, or take in a bunch of refugees, you might get some unhappiness about living under a monarchy or having robots in your empire, but nobody being sad about being their ancestral language dying out and the children not knowing the old stories, or missing the essential ingredient of home cooking (the "Salty" event notwithstanding), or hating how all the farms got replaced with cities, or so on. You can say people are religious, and declare certain events to be gifts or punishments or messages from the divine, but you can't actually pick any aspect of your beliefs. You can be warlike and distrustful of anybody who approaches first contact too timidly - actually one of the better culture elements of the game lately - but you can't sneer at the fools who took Prosperity instead of Supremacy, or who dare to play God by completely reshaping the bodies that they were created with through biological ascension. You can reform your government from an absolute dictatorship with a Supreme Leader For Life to a megacorporation with an elected board of directors, and it's expensive in terms of political capital to convince enough people to go through with it but you never get the former heir claiming that they've stolen her birthright and launching a civil war to get it back, nor do you ever get a group of people deciding that while equality of opportunity is important, communism actually sucks and they don't want to share the burdens of the poor.

I really, really would like to see more actual *culture* in Stellaris!

Completely agree with this. The game desperately needs a more complex representation of culture, not a more simplified one.

Reactions:
I wonder, now that Unity is the "bureaucratic upkeep" resource produced by Bureaucrats/Managers/Coordinators, what does that mean for all the previous Unity-producing jobs?

Will Entertainers still produce Unity? Will all these civics that add additional Unity output to Soldiers, Enforcers, Researchers, or Maintenance Drones, still do so?

And what about Bio-Trophies, will they also produce Unity still, or will they produce something else? Would that make Rogue Servitors less capable of sustaining large operations if they don't have enough organics to serve?

I'm glad Unity is becoming a more useful resource, but now it's even more confusing what it's even supposed to represent. Before this rework, it was some vaguely defined "social cohesion"/"unity of purpose", but now it's a mixture of that and bureaucracy? It just gets even more muddled.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The problem is 'Bureaucracy worlds' and 'Culture Worlds' are kinda meaningless. Yes you can have bureaucratic hubs, but if we're modeling bureaucracy/culture in a 'simulation of nation building'; it should have a range effect...much like trade has 'problems' once you get out of range of certain military considerations (either escort fleets or fighter enabled bastions). And then you have exclaves (IE territories not readily accessible by your government due to border infractions by other governments or a massive ether drake that cuts off certain sections of your territories from the main thrust of your empire) truly being unruly colonies that are way more likely to secede or rebel because they are not in direct connection to your government's capacity to enforce its will upon them, which again rears the head of 'physical cohesion' upon the game that was present in its past. In theory such throttling of wide empires would rather present us with the increase of vassal hegemonies (something that many real world empires had when they truly wanted to go wide) rather than the direct rule of a single governing body.

Could we live in a world in the future where 'unity' could be created by 'fleet/army presence in system/world' akin to how 'trade protection' is a thing that exists, as well as to any number of 'bureaucratic buildings/culture facilities/etc' in a sector, and that unity is something that could in theory be related to 'population happiness' or more importantly assigned in part to a floating 'potential for colony X to rebel' score...akin to the Civilization's capacity for cities to flip to neighboring civs if you don't have enough presence there, either culturally, civically or militarily? And then adding 'range from X phenomena (be that fleets, armies or 'unity creating things, like bureaucracy buildings)' calculations to colonies within sectors. Personally I think that overcomplicates the computational efforts required by the AI and the game itself...but it is a more 'realistic simulation' but the question becomes how realistic is too realistic for a basic game experience?

Last edited:
Due to the lack of detail, I wouldn't say the changes for directors disappoint me, but it does concern me.

There are already few buildings to build, sometimes it is almost like asking if we should not remove the buildings and each building slot receives a laboratory directly ...
But we will have to wait to see if cultural workers will be removed.

Yes, the current system (which is better than the old one with arbitrary administrative + "X" bonuses that made no sense in relation to the nature and size of the empire) is having issues.
But the basic problem is that it's an additive and subtractive system that easily eliminates any penalties.
It could have been changed in various ways to correct this concern.

Also a thing very absent in Stellaris is the interior management and its representation.
We could separate the empire sprawl penalties and the administrative penalties.
Currently, admins duplicate researchers and unity producers, because admins only produce science and unity (indirectly).

The administrative capacity would not be linked to the cost of research and so on, but to the efficiency of the management of the planets / sector / empire.
It depends on how one sees it.
The greater the deficit in administration, the less productive, stable the planets, etc. Or even that we lose part of the control of our empire.

I had already proposed something in this direction, even if it remained little developed.
I find the system of administrative limit and fleet unattractive, so here are some ideas to improve that, in my opinion.

Administration :
The administration is at three levels: local, sectoral and "imperial".

Local administration :
The local administration is the administrative apparatus of a planet, habitat or segment of a ring world.
It is produced first through capital buildings through administrators and equivalents.

The administrative needs of a planet increases for each sector and building built, some buildings require more administrative capacity.
A planet with an administrative deficit will be less effective, the pops will consume more to satisfy their personal and employment needs, they will produce less, buildings will be more expensive, construction is slowed down, crime increases, stability drops ...
The capital building will not be enough to satisfy the administrative needs of a developing planet.

Fortunately, a planet with a planetary administration can build administrative offices.
These buildings create jobs for officer who will increase the local administrative capacity.
But the officers consume goods, unity and scientific research.
Yes, the public administration is voracious!
The administrative office can be improved in administrative agency on the planets with a planetary capital.
The local administrative capacity can not be "exported".

Developing the administrative capacity at cost, but not developing it too, everyone is free to find his balance between the two extremes of an "anarchist" world to a bureaucrat autocracy.

Sectoral administration :
The sectoral administration is the administrative capacity of a sector. This makes it possible to meet the needs of the planets in local administrative deficits.
It is produced by high officer, it is like basic officer, but more voracious.
These jobs are created by the bureaucratic complex (planetary capital) and the mega bureaucratic complex (system capital-complex ).

The local administration is more economical, but it occupies space on the planet and workers.
The sectoral administration is more expensive, but it can be relocated to other worlds. It becomes possible to specialize entire planets in bureaucracy. The ideal place for unforgettable family vacation.

The governor of a sector according to its level (traits and others) provides some sectoral administrative capacity.

Imperial administration :
The imperial administration is essentially generated by the ruler of various empire modifiers.
One can also imagine another level of even more voracious officer who provides an imperial administrative capacity.

The imperial administrative capacity is to use for edicts (edicts still have a cost in influence or others, but also consumes during the time of the imperial administration), they can also be allocated to sectors to increase their sectoral administrative capacity.

The administrative capacity is no longer a non-interactive element that arbitrarily increases by a fixed number with such and such a bonus, that one ends up simply forgetting.
It becomes an interactive system allowing choices.
To have administrative deficits bring penalties, but to develop the administrative capacity at a cost which can become very elevated, if one wants no deficit.
But this is no longer global, a sector or planet to have a serious administrative deficit, while another sector or planet can be perfectly administered. This offers various choices and strategies.

Technology, civics and others will help improve the efficiency of the administration, but a bureaucratic apparatus will always remain voracious.

Obviously, this is a personal opinion, but I find it interesting, because it offers choices.
Indeed, you can decide if you want for this planet, for this sector a high administrative level or little.
You can also decide whether more globally you want a heavily administered empire or not.
Each approach can have its advantages and disadvantages.
In this idea, bureaucrats consume science (environmental studies, infrastructure and etc.) and unity. You therefore have an interesting choice to make between having a very well administered and efficient empire whose administration will consume a lot of science and unity or a less well administered empire (with the associated penalties) including a greater part of science and unity can be used for research.

Other than that, I hope that cultural workers will not be suppressed, but will be used to develop/promote its "culture/ideology".
Many would like us to add the “religions” at stake. I think above all that we should add a system of culture / ideology to which religions will be linked.
It will also be the occasion to add a little interior management and to distinguish the different species and even species having a different culture with the complications that this could bring.

Integrating a species of a fanatical genocitarian empire is not likely to be easy ...

I haven't picked up this year's DLC yet but looking forward to doing so in future - meanwhile the optimisation and AI have come a long way and I really appreciate the 'custodians' initiative and excellent communication as ever via these diaries, your responses and the Q&As.

Here's to civil wars and infighting in 2022! In the game, I mean.

Completely agree with this. The game desperately needs a more complex representation of culture, not a more simplified one.
I can't, because it feels you want a game that isn't what Stellaris is. Simulating culture to that level would be intensive, require a lot of programming, and I don't think Paradox hires that many sociologists.

In essence, a more complex representation of culture is a totally different direction than the game has been going in since 1.0

Reactions: